Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wheeee posted:

you become extremely defensive and weird about this game whenever someone criticizes it, it's okay that not everyone shares your lack of standards

The game has a long raft of problems that likely will not get fixed for months but you’ve literally only posted “This game is DOA” in this thread like six times.

The same ten thousand hardcore Vermintide players and hangers on will be the core of the game, just like Vermintide before it and Darktide 2 after it. I don’t know if I’ll be joining those ranks but it’s fun for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
How does parry work on the catachan sword to be useful?

I hit the special attack and he strikes back instantly but it doesn't seem to be useful as it seems to be designed for solo fighting as it has windows of being hit

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
it's some old miserable goon from the last thread who was all "actually im part of a group that loves fatshark warts and all," yet constantly whines about them and also pre-orders all their poo poo, presumably so they can whine about them with Justification. treat the brokebrain like a brokebrain imo

Orv
May 4, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I hit the special attack and he strikes back instantly but it doesn't seem to be useful as it seems to be designed for solo fighting as it has windows of being hit

I think you can parry stuff you can’t normally block but otherwise it’s just a block with a free strike attached that doesn’t seem to be terribly special.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The riposte you get after a succesful parry is way too weak to be useful, unfortunately. I did find one funny use case for it though: you can spam-parry a Rager's full combo without losing any stamina, Metal Gear Rising style.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I use it as an alternative block when I know an enemy is about to swing at me; similar to the knife, the counter hit is an instant heavy swing so you can dice multiple jerks with it. You can cancel the parry animation with a swing, so it's pretty forgiving to use.

And if you're feeling Marbo-y you can also clown on berserkers without needing to hit m1. Just don't try it on big attacks from ogryn or bosses (not sure if it works on assassination targets).

edit: I'm using an orange 450-power version so my experience may be different, but I'm positive the counter has an arc to it.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 24, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Exodee posted:

The riposte you get after a succesful parry is way too weak to be useful, unfortunately. I did find one funny use case for it though: you can spam-parry a Rager's full combo without losing any stamina, Metal Gear Rising style.

Yeah this was my experience. Maybe at higher levels it gets better when you are Mordhau dueling specials but it's better to just push and stab normally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

toasterwarrior posted:

treat the brokebrain like a brokebrain imo

so treat with patience and empathy, right? :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i finally, finally rolled up an eviscerator on the zealot and i'm extremely in love with that thing

gonna take a break from it tho and go back to psyker until I get a fireball (voidstrike?) staff, that looks like a lot of fun

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Orv posted:

The game has a long raft of problems that likely will not get fixed for months but you’ve literally only posted “This game is DOA” in this thread like six times.

Go ahead and click the little ? under my name and count all the DOA comments I've made. I'll help:

Wheeee posted:

this game would be dead on arrival without the warhammer license

learn to read before trying to put your big boy poster pants on.

This game has quite enough hype behind it that it's going to sell just fine despite coming in broken with virtually no content and only four classes, three of which are largely interchangeable before you get their high-level weapons and talents.

It's okay that people are critical of a video game that you like, it's still going to come out and you're still allowed to enjoy it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im getting real internet warrior vibes here

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

Yeah much like vermintide before it the core gameplay of bashing through hordes of enemies is good enough to withstand repeated runs of the same map. Horn of Magnus is all I have to say.

Whenever I think about this game I get annoyed by how jank and unfinished it is. How the progression sucks, the maps all feel the same, and how the extraordinarily few classes aren't even particularly interesting.

But then whenever I play it I'm having a blast.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am curious on that point, I know we have at least a few people in here with some hundreds of hours of VT1 & 2, did you all not feel the same repetition from those levels? VT2 would occasionally open an extra path or something but it’d be like five feet that looped back in immediately. To me it feels exactly the same but the ranged combat addition keeps it a little more fresh.

The aesthetics I guess don’t help with the levels we currently have but I’m usually kind of busy to be sightseeing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vargs posted:

Whenever I think about this game I get annoyed by how jank and unfinished it is. How the progression sucks, the maps all feel the same, and how the extraordinarily few classes aren't even particularly interesting.

But then whenever I play it I'm having a blast.

Yeah, that's why I think there's going to be some sticking power beyond the aesthetics. You can make new maps, classes, all that poo poo but if the gameplay is boring then it's all for nothing. And Fat Shark put a lot of content into VT over the years.

I've definitely played the opposite where there's a ton of classes and maps but the gameplay fundamentally sucks. Every MMO in existence for one, but also a lot of RPGs. Even games like Borderlands where the One Joke wears thin in about 30 minutes and it comes down to holding down the fire button til the bullet sponge enemies stop moving.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ngl though, I kinda wish this game was Greentide instead. Orkz would be a lot more fun and interesting enemies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My main and completely justified worry is that the new content timeline is gonna make Valheim look good.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I also just am not seeing it be all that broken, honestly. I've seen like, a couple of issues with people falling out of world, and some glitches with the VFX for the flamer?

Performance isn't great, but my PC was high end but not top of the line about six years ago, so I can't expect too much in that regard. It plays okay with the settings turned down, for the most part.

It's not very polished, but I've played worse AAA titles on day zero.

Edit: And heck, compare it to the new Pokémon games, lol.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

so treat with patience and empathy, right? :)

i know plenty of people struggling with their issues that aren't snide fuckwits, what makes this one special

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Ngl though, I kinda wish this game was Greentide instead. Orkz would be a lot more fun and interesting enemies.

It would be cool but it does feel like they'd either have to severely nerf Orks or turn them into specials with the majority of the mobs being shitass Gretchin. An ork is supposed to be able to shrug off an unreasonable amount of fire, so it'd be hard to balance them against regular Guardsmen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

My main and completely justified worry is that the new content timeline is gonna make Valheim look good.

Oh absolutely. “New subclass every three months” sounds an awful lot like new subclass every five months.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
This game (when it's running smoothly) feels like the successor to AVP that Fireteam wanted to be.

I just wanted to share that firing the Ripper Gun feels and sounds like slamming the enemies with the fist of an angry god, and my enthusiastic goober character sometimes tries to reload the ammo block backwards. Fantastic work.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Genestealers would have been neat, I'd say. Maybe that would have been stepping on that Deathwing games toes but you could still have a frenzied mob and traitor guardsmen and weird xenomorph hybrids to mix in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i wish the game did let us change personality/voice/sex at the chirurgeon. i don't wanna be a psyker cop :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
The vibe I get is that they want Darktide to eventually include all the cool 40K poo poo that it conceivably could at the non-SM/human only scale.

So some time around 2032 it should be jam packed with cool poo poo!

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

I would love a singleplayer, more narrative focused game by fatshark. The vibes are immaculate, sometimes it feels bad to just blast through it all with no time to slow down and take it in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This game would gently caress with tyranids, they have all the monsters to fit every archetype and anything they don't have could just be created because they're so varied.
Orks are tough but you could have the mobs be weak boyz + gretchin and then have the various ork boys as the elites and nobs as the bigger enemies. An ork darktide game would work better if the players were space marines.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Go ahead and click the little ? under my name and count all the DOA comments I've made. I'll help:

learn to read before trying to put your big boy poster pants on.

This game has quite enough hype behind it that it's going to sell just fine despite coming in broken with virtually no content and only four classes, three of which are largely interchangeable before you get their high-level weapons and talents.

It's okay that people are critical of a video game that you like, it's still going to come out and you're still allowed to enjoy it.

I don't think people mind criticism of this game. They just don't like the way you post about it. I hope this helps in your future posting endeavors.

Orv posted:

Oh absolutely. “New subclass every three months” sounds an awful lot like new subclass every five months.

Yeah, if that will be the case it will suck. Especially because when that one new subclass is released pretty much everyone will be playing it for a while.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

Wheeee posted:

this game is going to become tedious and boring extremely quickly, but it's fun for now and launching on gamepass

Wheeee posted:

really hope the full release has significantly more variety in maps because these ones are already pretty boring and samey

Wheeee posted:

Missions feel extremely repetitive, it’s like running Destiny strikes over and over, just with better music.

Darktide doesn’t feel like a game with any longevity, it’s going to be a blast for a couple weeks after release then fall away I expect.

People have already posted at length about all the bad design choices in this game, but god drat has experiencing Fatshark made me love Ghost Ship Games even more.

Wheeee posted:

This game would be DOA without the 40k license, it’s a loving mess and the gameplay feels like a sloppier L4D.

Soundtrack is amazing and elevates the experience, sound design in general is good.

Yes there will be more maps on release, but the maps in the test/demo already got old within a couple days, far too repetitive, feels like running Destiny strikes over and over.

It’s a coop horde shooter/puncher so it’s fun with friends, we’ll be playing it on Gamepass when it comes out, but there’s no longevity here like can be found in Deeprock Galactic.

Game feels extremely amateur hour, just poorly thought out and implemented on every level aside from sound work.

Still better than Back 4 Blood lol

Wheeee posted:

This is true but the reality is that there’s more games out there than anyone can play, it doesn’t matter that game X is decent when compared to the worst because it’s competing for your time against the best as well.

Like I said, it’s fun with friends like most everything is, but there’s nothing in Darktide from what I’ve seen that will make this a compelling long-term experience once you’ve seen all the levels several times.

This just feels like a very Gamepass kinda game.

Don’t be stupid.

Wheeee posted:

from my limited experience with the beta it seems fatshark has nailed that weird space of 'fun despite not being actually good'

hth

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think this game is going to be good on launch and very good in January.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jerkface posted:

This game would gently caress with tyranids, they have all the monsters to fit every archetype and anything they don't have could just be created because they're so varied.
Orks are tough but you could have the mobs be weak boyz + gretchin and then have the various ork boys as the elites and nobs as the bigger enemies. An ork darktide game would work better if the players were space marines.

Such as, yknow,

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Any tips on getting the "long bomb" penance? Like a good map to try it for it? I tried a few times on the sequence where you are waiting on the ascender, but maybe it would be better to on the stage where you have to hold a bridge?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Wheeee posted:

this game would be dead on arrival without the warhammer license

Nah I think it would be DOA if it wasn't a Fatshark game, if anything.

I thought about refunding as well as a matter of principle because it needs some more time in the oven, but the core gameplay is very good and Fatshark has proven they will eventually make enough steps ahead (despite the many steps behind) to deliver a good experience. So it's either spend 40 euros now or spend them later.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Any tips on getting the "long bomb" penance? Like a good map to try it for it? I tried a few times on the sequence where you are waiting on the ascender, but maybe it would be better to on the stage where you have to hold a bridge?

I got mine on the bridge. Also, tip is to leave a marker on the target zone where you expect a horde to pass through, and keep a distance of 27m from it. Once there, aim high enough that the marker appears on the bottom boundary of your screen. The grenades should pop fairly close from the floor without bouncing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I got it by throwing it into the water silo chamber as hordes were running into us from there while we were on the train tracks but that was a totally blind throw.

Best place I've seen is from the Valkryie to the door on the ammo resupply mission.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was also thinking from the ship to the door where hordes come from at the end of the smelter mission.

I still need to push 20 mobs of a ledge in 5 seconds or whatever it is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Been playing with plasma gun more and I think I'm coming around on it. It has a lot of similar drawbacks to the bolter with an even stronger focus on big target kills, but I think its pattern of charged aoe is stronger than the bolters knockdown, being able to say pick a mauler out of a big group of charging armored elites is pretty sick, and its still real accurate from across combat arenas.

A better version of the lucius with a faster charge and good aoe, basically. I think it still could use good buffs, however, to bring it line with the bolter or the accatran.

I do think its kind of funny that its the first gun that really begs for you to use the reload speed talents, something I'd never have considered before.

e: Also seems like the plasma gun doesn't activate deadshot for some reason, maybe because it has no ads? You think that charge would still count as an altfire.

Oh, the plasma ball travels way deeper through enemies than I thought, a full charged blast probably goes like 20 feet after the first enemy contact.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 24, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the bolter gun is so iconic in how loving ugly it is. the least creative and ergonomic design ever convinced. its the poo poo id give stick figures in grade school.

the fact the idiot pulls back the bolt every time you take the thing out is just a cherry on top, everything about the gun is perfectly stupid.

im gonna keep using it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Killing a dashing mutant seems basically impossible outside easy with bots

Either someone else will kill it or you won't in the dash frames

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

From this spot in the arena the shot will punch through the armored scav melee guy, the dreg version behind him, and then the dreg gunner like 20 feet behind them. The plasma shot is really thin though, more like a railgun than space marines big explody ball, so lining up the shot accurately is important and is probably why the gun feels more anemic than the bolter in horde scenarios. It also doesn't seem like charging increases the size of the aoe, the single tap shot will pierce just as far, but the charged shot does more damage to all targets along the way.

BUT it seems like for some reason even if you can punch through normal flak enemies, the mauler stops the shot when it hits him, and you cant hit the dreg gunner if the mauler is in the way, even though theyre only 5 feet apart.

Scav ragers also stop the plasma shot the same way, but dreg ones dont. This also doesn't get blocked the other way around, a shot will go through gunners and other elites and specials to end at maulers and ragers.

Armor science!

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

RBA Starblade posted:

Killing a dashing mutant seems basically impossible outside easy with bots

Either someone else will kill it or you won't in the dash frames

I've been trying to do this all day and I can't get it