Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Elon is so obviously desperate for attention and validation. It's pathetic.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1595124953631715329?s=20&t=WSBFset3klru8BGh93iviw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1595124953631715329?s=20&t=WSBFset3klru8BGh93iviw
Doesn't get that Leftwing lies on twitter are something akin to Europe has completely 100% free healthcare for all citizens or the Earth will be completely inhabitable by 2025. Whereas right wing lies are things like vaccines are a Jewish conspiracy or a drag performer is trying to indoctrinate a trans army by reading Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 23, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

Twitter was not the collateral for the loans used to buy it in the first place, they don't let even Elon Musk do that. The collateral was some of his other assets, most likely Tesla stock.

No, that's what a leveraged buyout is. The company you're buying is collateral for the loans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Edmund Lava posted:

He is (was?) the richest man on earth. Someone was going to bite. Not sure how they thought Twitter was going to pay 1 billion dollars in interest a year, but I’m no finance guy.

Jeff Bezos has one of his minions pushing f5 on this thread every three seconds

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/golikehellmachi/status/1595203804827635712?s=46&t=3mUKCNuf5uJLKjMFmIbbXA

One of the richest men on the planet using one of the largest communication platforms on the planet to have a screeching narcissistic meltdown is fine, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Doesn't get that Leftwing lies on twitter are something akin to Europe has completely 100% free healthcare for all citizens or the Earth will be completely inhabitable by 2025. Whereas right wing lies are things vaccines are a Jewish conspiracy or a drag performer is trying to indoctrinate a trans army by reading Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

Thanks to the fact that Musk is obsessively replying to right-wing conspiracy theorists, we're getting a look at some of the kinds of things he apparently considers to be "left-wing lies":
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595108378375618560

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

No, that's what a leveraged buyout is. The company you're buying is collateral for the loans.

I tried to google around and figure out what he was using for collateral in this case, and he has a history of using tesla stock for that purpose, but no one seems to be quite sure what it was here. Sorry!

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

My prediction is that Musk will get completely consumed by Twitter to the detriment of Tesla and his other companies. Hate seems to be fueling him and he will keep posting into oblivion.

The thing is, electric cars and space flight are nonpartisan, not personal. But social media and how to run it is very political, very personal. Musk will waste his time and get into dumb online arguments while the other car manufacturers will eat his lunch. Maybe he will realize that he's gone off the deep end in time to make an adjustment, but I doubt it. I think that buying Twitter will be the worst mistake of his life.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
detriment? they literally run better when Musk isn't involved lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

small butter posted:

My prediction is that Musk will get completely consumed by Twitter to the detriment of Tesla and his other companies. Hate seems to be fueling him and he will keep posting into oblivion.

The thing is, electric cars and space flight are nonpartisan, not personal. But social media and how to run it is very political, very personal. Musk will waste his time and get into dumb online arguments while the other car manufacturers will eat his lunch. Maybe he will realize that he's gone off the deep end in time to make an adjustment, but I doubt it. I think that buying Twitter will be the worst mistake of his life.

I think at this point, it's safe to assume we're looking at another Trump-style pathological narcissist. He doesn't back off, he just doubles down until they break or he does. None of what we're seeing here is remotely evident of a sound mind capable of rational threat assessment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

And that's the reason why he's been losing his loving mind, because Tesla's stock keeps dropping and with it, his ability to actually pay off the giant napkin IOU he bought Twitter with in the first place.

Well, that's a reason he's losing his loving mind, other's being (but not limited to) his pathological insecurity coupled with a desperate need for cool kid validation, which he somehow thought owning Twitter would bring and is now perplexed and enraged to find out is not the case.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm not clicking that. :frog:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

small butter posted:

Tesla was already living on borrowed time as its market valuation went bananas while others caught up. The Musk Twitter drama just adds fuel to the gossip shitstorm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dril got quoted in the Washington Post

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1595454535258054661?s=46&t=lFB53UbEkY1qqi_0qFwcRg

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dick Trauma posted:

And then there's this garbage:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1595413143034920960

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

I tried to google around and figure out what he was using for collateral in this case, and he has a history of using tesla stock for that purpose, but no one seems to be quite sure what it was here. Sorry!

He previously ALSO had a "margin loan" which was a loan against his Tesla stock. The stock dropped so much he would have been insta -liquidated when it closed so he dropped that part and just sold the Tesla stock directly. The remaining loans are secured by twitter (it doesn't seem that musk is directly liable for them).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

And that's the reason why he's been losing his loving mind, because Tesla's stock keeps dropping and with it, his ability to actually pay off the giant napkin IOU he bought Twitter with in the first place.

At this point the optimal solution for him is to find someone to take over right now, give them a completely free hand to run Twitter however they want, and announce he's going back to Tesla. Both stocks would probably recover some.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alchenar posted:

At this point the optimal solution for him is to find someone to take over right now, give them a completely free hand to run Twitter however they want, and announce he's going back to Tesla. Both stocks would probably recover some.

Announcing he’s getting more involved in something is not what investors want to hear right now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, there still seems to be quite a bit of "just because he's a genius in one field..." type apologism going around. People are extremely reluctant to believe that a billionaire could actually be dumb, because it calls all of society into question.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In normyworld that is what happens, but Elon exists under a different set of rules.

isnt there a classic banking/fin joke of you owe the bank 10 000$s, the bank owns you. You owe the bank millions or billions, you own the bank?

why wouldnt this apply to Musk and his amazing dumpster fire?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

evilweasel posted:

I was going to say it wasn’t a pure LBO as I recall there being Tesla stock involved but it looks as though the $13bn in loans really do have recourse only against Twitter and its assets, regarding which, someone’s not getting their bonus this year at, hmm

Al Jazeera posted:

Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Japanese banks Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group and Mizuho, Barclays and the French banks Societe Generale and BNP Paribas.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

isnt there a classic banking/fin joke of you owe the bank 10 000$s, the bank owns you. You owe the bank millions or billions, you own the bank?

The one I've heard is. You owe the bank 10,000 dollars you are in trouble. You owe the bank 10 million they are in trouble

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aeolusdallas posted:

The one I've heard is. You owe the bank 10,000 dollars you are in trouble. You owe the bank 10 million they are in trouble

Thing is in the latter scenario, that doesn't mean you're not also in trouble.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The translate tweet function suddenly disappeared from my account (only one account, still works on other accounts on the same PC, and still works on the mobile app for that account) but Twitter Support appears to have been mostly fired so lol.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

banks have heard this one too, which is why they limit their exposure to any one creditor (until they gently caress up and don't)

the $13b is split enough ways this isn't great but not bank-ending, especially since they have collateral

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 24, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The translate tweet function suddenly disappeared from my account (only one account, still works on other accounts on the same PC, and still works on the mobile app for that account) but Twitter Support appears to have been mostly fired so lol.

Another cut. No way to tell where we are between zero and a thousand

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was going to say it wasn’t a pure LBO as I recall there being Tesla stock involved but it looks as though the $13bn in loans really do have recourse only against Twitter and its assets, regarding which, someone’s not getting their bonus this year at, hmm

Tesla, SpaceX, NeuraLink, Solar City, and The Boring Company better not need any loans in the near future...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

He's opening the floodgates for the creeps while clinging to the cover of heeding the voice of the people.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595869526469533701?s=20&t=FewvaEN6L93kzkfcJZrDMw

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

He's opening the floodgates for the creeps while clinging to the cover of heeding the voice of the people.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595869526469533701?s=20&t=FewvaEN6L93kzkfcJZrDMw

Also that "Vox Pouli, Vox Dei" quote is actually cropped from "Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit" or "And those people should not be listened to who keep saying the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is always very close to madness."

Elonk is a loving moron.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm sure any leftists who have been mysteriously getting the banhammer in the last few weeks will definitely be extended this amnesty.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Italian Elon Musk still there?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I'm sure any leftists who have been mysteriously getting the banhammer in the last few weeks will definitely be extended this amnesty.

Chad Loder's been perma'd three times in the last 24 hours, this last time while he was in the middle outlining a massive data breach that was still possibly underway at Twitter.

:rip:

Oh well, at least we get Milo and the floor shitter back next week, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

Chad Loder's been perma'd three times in the last 24 hours, this last time while he was in the middle outlining a massive data breach that was still possibly underway at Twitter.

I would like to know more.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in this thread

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Soonmot posted:

yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in this thread

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1595913320346918915

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Basically at this point, Elon Musk is 100% following Donald Trump's playbook of trusting whatever the last person who talked to him at any given moment has said as gospel truth and then acting on it, no matter how bonkers it was, only in this case the "last person in the room" with Musk isn't some duplicitous, self-serving functionary remora, it's literally whoever the gently caress @'d him last. His brain is an empty cup with no thoughts but whatever the last person he's interacted with has pissed into it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Remember when he was highly concerned about fake accounts lol.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1595684664228052992

So he apparently fired a bunch of devs based on his 'code review', the day before Thanksgiving, and gave them 4 weeks severance. If they had chosen to leave instead of clicking 'yes' to Twitter Hardcore, they would have gotten 3 months severance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1595684664228052992

So he apparently fired a bunch of devs based on his 'code review', the day before Thanksgiving, and gave them 4 weeks severance. If they had chosen to leave instead of clicking 'yes' to Twitter Hardcore, they would have gotten 3 months severance.

Punishing people for sticking with you - now that's leadership!