Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think even communism would work now as we are not all realized beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

euphronius posted:

I don’t think even communism would work now as we are not all realized beings.

shut the gently caress up law bitch

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

speng31b posted:

Iraq maybe?

Famously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...1-b20ba67f031a/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lumpentroll posted:

shut the gently caress up law bitch

exactly my point

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s all there in the Gulf War Air Power Survey. I posted about it before, there are tens of pages and detailed records. Nearly all cruise missile strikes were against the civilian power grid, the US used special munitions that can only damage electrical infrastructure etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Afghanistan didn't have infrastructure to strike. Iraq was wrecked.

Afghanistan had plenty of infrastructure...

... in the 1970s

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
There's a thesis from a Desert War veteran which goes into detail on the USAF favoured strategy of targeting electrical power systems.

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Dec/29/2001861964/-1/-1/0/T_GRIFFITH_STRATEGIC_ATTACK.PDF

quote:

The United States Air Force has long favored attacking electrical power systems. Electric power has been considered a critical target in every war since World War II, and will likely be nominated in the future. Despite the frequency of attacks on this target system there has also been recurring failure in understanding how power is used in a nation. In addition, air planners tend to become enamored with the vulnerability of electric power to air strikes, but analysis of the cause and effect relation-ships indicates that attacking electrical power does not achieve the stated objectives in terms of winning the war. Historically, there have been four basic strategies behind attacks on national electrical systems: to cause a decline in civilian morale; to inflict costs on the political leaders to induce a change; to hamper military operations; and to hinder war production.
Because most of the information from Operation Desert Storm is still classified, it is difficult to make definitive judgments about the impact of attacks on electrical power, but once again electric power was a high priority target. The primary purpose in bombing was not to stop production, but rather to induce strategic paralysis on the leadership in Baghdad. The focus of these attacks was on the military, with the loss of power intended to affect military facilities such as radar sites and communication facilities. In addition to the military effects, there was also the hope that because electricity touched all aspects of Iraqi society it might have a psychological impact as well.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is there anything like this for the Chechen wars?

Nothing easily.
Saw a couple of articles saying Urus Martan, the second largest town currently, still had no power in 2000 when I checked specifically.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/world/europe/012700russia-chechnya.html

Grozny's power obviously got totaled the second time around.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1595551957497806849

ngl, i misread "bandurists" and had to do a second take

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1595551957497806849

ngl, i misread "bandurists" and had to do a second take

:same:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

it’s weird how these logos just keep showing up

https://twitter.com/noelreports/status/1594349377631309824?s=46&t=1Br5pqhLm8O2H9kYDodq7g

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's weird how much access they have to the Western press. And by "weird" I mean "entirely predictable."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

There were a lot of people convinced that Russia was not going to invade.

it was in hindsight really dumb

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

it was in hindsight really dumb

Eh, people were convinced of that because invading was obviously a really stupid idea. We were right about the second part!:shrug:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

going to start predicting war every single time to build credibility

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Majorian posted:

Eh, people were convinced of that because invading was obviously a really stupid idea. We were right about the second part!:shrug:

the only reason those people were wrong is because they wanted to hug and kiss vladimir putin, rather than correctly judging that actually invading was a really dumb idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bedpan posted:

the only reason those people were wrong is because they wanted to hug and kiss vladimir putin, rather than correctly judging that actually invading was a really dumb idea.

This is true, and I will never apologize for wanting to hug and kiss vladimir putin.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if anyone was wrong about predicting something, i hope it is brought up repeatedly and used to own them forever

speng31b
May 8, 2010

its the best type of posting, everyone loves it

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Majorian posted:

I think it could go either way still. This war could keep going for years. I mean obviously it's stupid from a humanitarian perspective.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
we should have our prediction track record under our avs like gang tags

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Apparently Ukraine is working on a bill to ban the Russian Orthodox Church. jfc

🇷🇺☦️🇺🇦A bill on banning the Russian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine has been submitted to the Verkhovna Rada. The draft provides for a complete ban on the activities of any religious organizations and institutions that are part of or recognize in any form the subordination of the ROC in canonical, organizational and other matters. Against the background of yesterday's searches in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and the announcement of inspections and criminal cases against its priests, this move surprised few people. And the last six months of observing the behavior of sectarians from the Patriarchate of Constantinople, the Vatican and other structures made it clear that this would happen with almost 100% probability. Now it remains to wait for the start of open repression against clergy and believers.
Rybar

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

That's kind of gross. Don't post stuff like that.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😫😫

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

🇷🇺☦️🇺🇦A bill on banning the Russian Orthodox Church on the territory of Ukraine has been submitted to the Verkhovna Rada. The draft provides for a complete ban on the activities of any religious organizations and institutions that are part of or recognize in any form the subordination of the ROC in canonical, organizational and other matters. Against the background of yesterday's searches in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and the announcement of inspections and criminal cases against its priests, this move surprised few people. And the last six months of observing the behavior of sectarians from the Patriarchate of Constantinople, the Vatican and other structures made it clear that this would happen with almost 100% probability. Now it remains to wait for the start of open repression against clergy and believers.
Rybar

theyre really going to kill all those priests they arrested, huh. seems bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

how could China do this to Xinjiang

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

if anyone was wrong about predicting something, i hope it is brought up repeatedly and used to own them forever

We’ve all been wrong about a lot. Like I was wrong in thinking Russia would have a more competent air and long range fires arm than they have demonstrated.

Poor logistics roughly par for what I expected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

We’ve all been wrong about a lot. Like I was wrong in thinking Russia would have a more competent air and long range fires arm than they have demonstrated.

"my greatest weakness is that I'm just too much of a people person"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

quote:

Patriarch Kirill of Moscow said the conflict in Donbas is about “a fundamental rejection of the so-called values that are offered today by those who claim world power.”

“In order to enter the club of those countries, it is necessary to hold a gay pride parade. Not to make a political statement, ‘we are with you,’ not to sign any agreements, but to hold a gay parade. And we know how people resist these demands and how this resistance is suppressed by force,” Kirill said during a sermon in Moscow.

Kirill categorized the war as a struggle of “metaphysical significance,” for humanity to follow God’s laws.

“What is happening today in the sphere of international relations has not only political significance. We are talking about something different and much more important than politics. We are talking about human salvation,” he said.

“If we see violations of [God’s] law, we will never put up with those who destroy this law, blurring the line between holiness and sin, and even more so with those who promote sin as an example or as one of the models of human behavior,” Kirill said.

“Around this topic today there is a real war,” he said.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

"my greatest weakness is that I'm just too much of a people person"

people say that they respect me too much and it makes them feel inadequate

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

theyre really going to kill all those priests they arrested, huh. seems bad

Well, probably not.

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Инсайд
Our source in the OP told us that in two months, 900 people were arrested in Kharkiv and Kherson oblasts under the article of collaborationism. In this way, Bankova wants to form an exchange fund in order to implement the formula "all for all", now there are only 400 prisoners of war in Ukraine, and in Russia there are about 5 thousand soldiers of the AFU.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/15232
(from t.me/rezident_ua/15240, via tgsa)

I don't know if there's any evidence of this, but it's a reasonable conclusion to make. Medvedchuk is already a clear example of Ukrainian government imprisoning its own people for an exchange with Russia. They need to find warm bodies somewhere to make up the difference, so why not just random useless people that can't be sent to the frontline anyway.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nice justifying

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I don't know if there's any evidence of this, but it's a reasonable conclusion to make. Medvedchuk is already a clear example of Ukrainian government imprisoning its own people for an exchange with Russia. They need to find warm bodies somewhere to make up the difference, so why not just random useless people that can't be sent to the frontline anyway.

If you can find any evidence they're being used for exchanges I'd be curious to see that. I haven't seen anything about prisoner exchanges involving SBU-arrested "internal collaborators," but ive seen a lot of evidence of them being put up for decades of jail or extrajudicial killing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

I don't know if there's any evidence of this, but it's a reasonable conclusion to make.

Why would it be reasonable for Russia to give Ukraine back prisoners in exchange for Ukrainian civilians arrested by the SBU? Wouldn’t Russia prefer to exchange prisoners for their own Russian soldiers back?

Seems like bullshit, and if it weren’t, seems like the Russians would respond to such an offer with “lmao no”

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

Nice justifying

It's obviously just a political move, but if a hateful organization gets shut down incidentally ... :shrug:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's obviously just a political move, but if a hateful organization gets shut down incidentally ... :shrug:

the Russian patriarch is a psycho, but suggesting that shutting down the entire Russian Orthodox church in Ukraine and purging anyone associated with it is okay as a result is really insane

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

psycho poo poo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

speng31b posted:

the Russian patriarch is a psycho, but suggesting that shutting down the entire Russian Orthodox church in Ukraine and purging anyone associated with it is okay as a result is really insane

expecting Zelensky to get real fat and start charging up his divorced dad energy as he proceeds down the Henry VIII route

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't like the ROC either but if this bill goes through (I'm guessing it probably won't, but idk), a lot of innocent Ukrainians are going to be marginalized just because of their religious affiliation. That's a lovely thing to cheerlead imo.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol yeah uh actually you have to respect orc shamanism. eating humans and dancing around a fire is just part of the culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

collective punishment is a war crime