Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FirstnameLastname posted:

he has no guiding principle besides 'me first'

he likes trump and kanye because they think the same way

Musk has no guiding principles of his own, the only value left is dollar value and he do whatever it takes to keep it humming along. Even buying Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MikeJF posted:

what are the odds they just use their mandatory arbitration clause to get a compromised arbiter to make it go away in a blatant miscarriage of justice because that's just what companies can do now.
Near-certain. No way Musk didn't have a counsel with his legal team who said "well we see a way" after his mania. If it were truly the poo poo he'd be panic-buttoning instead of this weird pantomime to see if he or the audience are the bigger fools.

Philthy posted:

I'm just enjoying both of them being regulated to hate speech sites.
The part that worries me is that I'll still come across sites that have a loving "link to Digg" function in 2022. Getting rid of Twitter integration before all that hate speech gets out is pretty much nigh-impossible. No matter how much Elmo the Clown gets owned, it's a fash victory in terms of horizontal spread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

mind the walrus posted:

Near-certain. No way Musk didn't have a counsel with his legal team who said "well we see a way" after his mania. If it were truly the poo poo he'd be panic-buttoning instead of this weird pantomime to see if he or the audience are the bigger fools.

Except he also fired European employees with the same gusto. That poo poo aint going to fly there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mind the walrus posted:

lol just like they made Elon's terrible deal to buy Twitter go away, right?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

What are the chances this idiot lost tons of money on crypto because I want it to be true and I want more things to laugh at him for

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wedgie deliverer posted:

What are the chances this idiot lost tons of money on crypto because I want it to be true and I want more things to laugh at him for

He just lost $100B in Tesla stock value

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Did you know it costs $2.00 dollars to clean your clothes now?

I am not mentioning the $1.75 to dry them.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

wedgie deliverer posted:

kazil posted:

He just lost $100B in Tesla stock value

Stocks: the original cryptocurrency

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kazil posted:

lol just like they made Elon's terrible deal to buy Twitter go away, right?
After over half a decade of nonstop miscarriages of justice from a stacked Supreme Court and ineffectual prosecution agencies against Trump, I'm not counting any chickens until they're in handcuffs and the sentence is getting read out.

And it's pretty clear Musk just pushed the deal through, same way he just fired all those employees. He definitely hosed up, but I'm pretty sure on a relative scale of his recent fuckups his lawyers advised him that was one problem they could handle, even if he's still the $100 billion dollar pissbaby.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mind the walrus posted:

After over half a decade of nonstop miscarriages of justice from a stacked Supreme Court and ineffectual prosecution agencies against Trump, I'm not counting any chickens until they're in handcuffs and the sentence is getting read out.

And it's pretty clear Musk just pushed the deal through, same way he just fired all those employees. He definitely hosed up, but I'm pretty sure on a relative scale of his recent fuckups his lawyers advised him that was one problem they could handle, even if he's still the $100 billion dollar pissbaby.

He could get away clean in the US, but the EU will gut him like a fish for the employees there.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Again he did the same thing in europe where he doesn't get american court bullshit. if he had just done it in the us and not in europe i think your worry would be a lot more grounded.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MikeJF posted:

So they're obviously violated California's labour laws with the way they 'fired' everyone with the WARN stuff and also it being extremely questionable that they did fire them properly with dumb emails but what are the odds they just use their mandatory arbitration clause to get a compromised arbiter to make it go away in a blatant miscarriage of justice because that's just what companies can do now.

Musk should be fine on this one. You'll notice the initial reports shifted from "fired immediately" to "fired immediately but with three months pay." It's that last part that will get him off the hook. 90 days pay > the 60 day notice requirement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mind the walrus posted:

Near-certain. No way Musk didn't have a counsel with his legal team w.

The twitter legal team were the first in the wave of mass resignations. That's really all you need to know about how legally wise Elon's moves have been.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

So they're obviously violated California's labour laws with the way they 'fired' everyone with the WARN stuff and also it being extremely questionable that they did fire them properly with dumb emails but what are the odds they just use their mandatory arbitration clause to get a compromised arbiter to make it go away in a blatant miscarriage of justice because that's just what companies can do now.

My understanding is that breaking that law has a maximum penalty, which they have already given to the employees (however many months of pay and benefits,) so I'm not sure anything else will happen from that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, Elon is loving around with commercial mortgages. Going to have trouble running twitter if all the datacenters get foreclosed on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mozi posted:

My understanding is that breaking that law has a maximum penalty, which they have already given to the employees (however many months of pay and benefits,) so I'm not sure anything else will happen from that.

Can employees take their employer to civil court for pain and suffering or maliciously dumbfuckery?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Agronox posted:

Musk should be fine on this one. You'll notice the initial reports shifted from "fired immediately" to "fired immediately but with three months pay." It's that last part that will get him off the hook. 90 days pay > the 60 day notice requirement.
It'll only get him off the hook if he goes through with it - reportedly nobody is yet to receive the paperwork for that severance pay, let alone the pay itself. Also, the "three months severance" only applies to those employees who took that oral contract - it doesn't help him with the half of the company he fired before offering that, especially those employees whose employment contracts with Twitter granted them a larger severance package than that. There are already legal cases underway as a result.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TulliusCicero posted:

"Elon Musk is super handsome and not at all the texture of car tire rubber and a super genius, and also Grimes was a fool to leave him" @elonmusk

"Correct" @elonmusk

I was staring at this post, waiting for the embed to load

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TulliusCicero:eightbux: posted:

"Elon Musk is super handsome and not at all the texture of car tire rubber and a super genius, and also Grimes was a fool to leave him" @elonmusk

"Correct" @elonmusk

Just fall into a woodchipper already

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I was staring at this post, waiting for the embed to load

Loaded for me

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The twitter legal team were the first in the wave of mass resignations. That's really all you need to know about how legally wise Elon's moves have been.

Lawyers usually aren't great at pumping out lines of code, so this tracks

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

What is this poo poo!?

*Tosses stack of printed paper around the office*

I SAID 'SHOW ME YOUR BEST LINES OF COKE'

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Twitter posts have been going on and offline for a few days now. Sometimes the post will look deleted, and then be back a minute later.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Philthy posted:

Twitter posts have been going on and offline for a few days now. Sometimes the post will look deleted, and then be back a minute later.

obviously not because there's anything wrong. twitter is alive

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mx. posted:

obviously not because there's anything wrong. twitter is alive

https://twitter.com/dril/status/900592164589248513

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Agronox posted:

This.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

MikeJF posted:

Yeah California law doesn't give way to corporate reacharounds. Just look at how Disney had to relocate corporate HQ to Florida, there are no big corporate players in California that get to buy their way out of the law. If Musk violated labor laws they will throw the book at him. But if he violates labor laws and then retroactively pays them out what is due then he can fire anyone for any reason. As long as they get paid.

He's still on the hook for unemployment claims though. Which is not really his money to begin with because employees pay into unemployment, but knowing Musk he'll probably try to worm his way out of unemployment claims in the dumbest way possible and get hosed all over again. :allears:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Sanctum posted:

Yeah California law doesn't give way to corporate reacharounds. Just look at how Disney had to relocate corporate HQ to Florida, there are no big corporate players in California that get to buy their way out of the law. If Musk violated labor laws they will throw the book at him. But if he violates labor laws and then retroactively pays them out what is due then he can fire anyone for any reason. As long as they get paid.

He's still on the hook for unemployment claims though. Which is not really his money to begin with because employees pay into unemployment, but knowing Musk he'll probably try to worm his way out of unemployment claims in the dumbest way possible and get hosed all over again. :allears:

He doesn't have a lot of political cover left in California, either, after that stunt where he sued Alameda County and I believe the state as well over Covid shutdowns. This won't be like the situation with Blizzard where there was apparently pressure from the governor's office to stall prosecution. Newsom is angling for a presidential run, and Elon made himself target #1 for somebody who will want every opportunity to be seen "holding billionaires accountable" (even if Newsom will gladly be taking other billionaires' money as fast as they can hand it over).

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

istewart posted:

He doesn't have a lot of political cover left in California, either, after that stunt where he sued Alameda County and I believe the state as well over Covid shutdowns. This won't be like the situation with Blizzard where there was apparently pressure from the governor's office to stall prosecution. Newsom is angling for a presidential run, and Elon made himself target #1 for somebody who will want every opportunity to be seen "holding billionaires accountable" (even if Newsom will gladly be taking other billionaires' money as fast as they can hand it over).

"Please, Mr. Musk has certainly considered all of those political consequences into his behavior. Just you wait and see his masterplan unfold. @elonmusk"

- a weirdo on twitter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crow Buddy posted:

"Please, Mr. Musk has certainly considered all of those political consequences into his behavior. Just you wait and see his masterplan unfold. @elonmusk"

True

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lol, I had to reload a couple times because it wouldn't load the embedded tweet even after giving it a minute :coal:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Twitter's been giving me this one tweet from 10 hours ago at the top of my timeline no matter what I do, I'm sure it's going fine

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

dril 4 prensondent 2024

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Legal Eagle talks about Elon Musk’s legal troubles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCRRcWSt4I

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/NoSoyJamie/status/1595685919381757952

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Sanctum posted:

I've seen it mentioned before how companies might try to screw you out of unemployment benefits. Why would they do that? Are companies on the hook for paying for them in the US?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Philonius posted:

I've seen it mentioned before how companies might try to screw you out of unemployment benefits. Why would they do that? Are companies on the hook for paying for them in the US?

My understanding is technically not directly, but unemployment is structured as unemployment INSURANCE, and the more unemployment claims you have against you the higher the companies rates for their share of paying into unemployment insurance is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Philonius posted:

i dont know about other states, but for california its really hard for an employer to somehow do that. the basis for being able to collect is "did you work"

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

ded posted:

i dont know about other states, but for california its really hard for an employer to somehow do that. the basis for being able to collect is "did you work"

@elongmusk: "didn't come back to the office within 3h of my mail at 2am, so you can see that they did not work #gowokegobroke"
He cocks his head to the side, forcing a smile though the tears of impotent rage

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zeluth posted:

Did you know it costs $2.00 dollars to clean your clothes now?

I am not mentioning the $1.75 to dry them.

psst just hang them outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Catastrophe posted:

Having built my career into software QA, it's jabbing my panic button to see the exodus and abuse happening at Twitter. His apparent whip-cracking and pressure on those in software development while kicking half of engineering out the door is going to result in some reeeeaaaaalllll bullshit getting pushed to prod

I've said it before, but it's still true: the site has been running in dev mode for weeks now, network inspector full of failed calls to `ton.local.twitter.com`.

the people he mostly fired apparently knew how to build a thing that can stay standing up, for a while. suspect you are right that deploying and changing anything is going to be increasingly risky over time, and if anything actually makes stuff go boom, trying to push new poo poo seems like as / more likely a vector as something that is running now failing.

MikeJF posted:

I don't know nearly enough about CA ground conditions to speculate, but it seems to me that even if this poo poo flies in the US, the various violations of European labor laws are not going to go away nearly as easily and will lead to lawsuits that are going to take a long time to play out. Feeling like Twitter is going to be spending half it's time trying to keep flailing infrastructure updated and half their time fighting legal battles.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 24, 2022