Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Discendo Vox posted:

This should be straightforward for people who are knowledgeable about it to geolocate, right?

Yes and it's exact position is in that twitter discussion already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Discendo Vox posted:

This should be straightforward for people who are knowledgeable about it to geolocate, right?

beyond trivial

i saw someone geolocate something today based off of crop patterns

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Well, Cloudflare is very not surprising, given how they have a history of helping Nazis for "freeze-peach" reasons.

The only sites Cloudflare has removed without court order are Nazi ones.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MikusR posted:

Cloudflare has also refused to remove a bunch, too though

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MikusR posted:

nah they'll remove malware domains pretty aggressively

but nobody ever encounters those personally since they arent a malware app looking for a C&C server

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

spankmeister posted:

All I see is F16's that should be flying over Ukraine tbh.

Hard agree. Russia is trying to kill all of Ukraine now. First it was replace their government, then it was terrify their people. Now they're trying to physically break the country all at once. They can't take the land so they're killing it; no heat, water, light or internet for this whole winter.

Ukraine is telling their civilians to leave everywhere, this is going to double the humanitarian and refugee catastrophes. This is the time for the next rung on the ladder, which really isn't that much of a escalation; open the floodgates on sending stockpiled western jets and tanks. Western weapons have been killing Russian's for months, it will not make a political difference. The odds of them being used for anything else are next to nil. If Taiwan kicks off those Abrams will still sit there, sending them to Ukraine is the best value I can imagine for them. Start training Ukrainians on the things now. F-16's will be a lot more of a process, but it's time to start.

I doubt this, but I have a small hope that some of the troops training in the UK were trained on some NATO armor system. The morale boost alone for Ukrainian soldiers getting their hands on a few Abrams or Leopard 2's would be amazing. Ukraine has to win this, and they can even without a single NATO troop being there. We should stop pissing about.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 24, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Somewhere a Ukrainian quartermaster cries and they do not know why.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes and it's exact position is in that twitter discussion already

My bad, shoulda clicked through. I saw someone taking the quote from the video caption on 9km and assumed it wasn't there.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Orthanc6 posted:

Hard agree. Russia is trying to kill all of Ukraine now. First it was replace their government, then it was terrify their people. Now they're trying to physically break the country all at once. They can't take the land so they're killing it; no heat, water, light or internet for this whole winter.

Ukraine is telling their civilians to leave everywhere, this is going to double the humanitarian and refugee catastrophes. This is the time for the next rung on the ladder, which really isn't that much of a escalation; open the floodgates on sending stockpiled western jets and tanks. Western weapons have been killing Russian's for months, it will not make a political difference. The odds of them being used for anything else are next to nil. If Taiwan kicks off those Abrams will still sit there, sending them to Ukraine is the best value I can imagine for them. Start training Ukrainians on the things now. F-16's will be a lot more of a process, but it's time to start.

I doubt this, but I have a small hope that some of the troops training in the UK were trained on some NATO armor system. The morale boost alone for Ukrainian soldiers getting their hands on a few Abrams or Leopard 2's would be amazing. Ukraine has to win this, and they can even without a single NATO troop being there. We should stop pissing about.

I agree with you but all the press has been talking about is “resuming talks” with Putin or otherwise turning to diplomacy like that’s gonna matter. Only the guardian put out an opinion piece saying the fastest end to this war is arming Ukraine with the “good stuff” and ejecting the Russian military from their lands. Peace talks with Russians dealing in bad faith are either just gonna drag out the war or award the Russians territories they didn’t previously have. Which in turn will lead to them concluding that the war was worth it because they still took territory even if it cost them a lot. That’s a terrible message and will just embolden China into attacking Taiwan. Figure if you try hard enough and take enough losses your enemy will eventually abandon their allies cuz they wanna go back to normal.

Unfortunately NATO and everyone else doesn’t want to do this because of bullshit fears about escalation so we get the “let’s have peace talks” and “Ukraine put up a good fight but they still can’t win so they need to be realistic”.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I agree with you but all the press has been talking about is “resuming talks” with Putin or otherwise turning to diplomacy like that’s gonna matter. Only the guardian put out an opinion piece saying the fastest end to this war is arming Ukraine with the “good stuff” and ejecting the Russian military from their lands. Peace talks with Russians dealing in bad faith are either just gonna drag out the war or award the Russians territories they didn’t previously have. Which in turn will lead to them concluding that the war was worth it because they still took territory even if it cost them a lot. That’s a terrible message and will just embolden China into attacking Taiwan. Figure if you try hard enough and take enough losses your enemy will eventually abandon their allies cuz they wanna go back to normal.

Unfortunately NATO and everyone else doesn’t want to do this because of bullshit fears about escalation so we get the “let’s have peace talks” and “Ukraine put up a good fight but they still can’t win so they need to be realistic”.

The "Ukraine needs to start talking" is Russian propaganda filtering its way back into news stories. No one in NATO believes it, it's just seeds planted by collaborators.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Deteriorata posted:

The "Ukraine needs to start talking" is Russian propaganda filtering its way back into news stories. No one in NATO believes it, it's just seeds planted by collaborators.

So why is the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff setting low expectations for Ukraine pushing out the Russians?

Also let’s not forget Ukraine is running out of surface to air missiles at which point Russia will be able to have near free reign to bombard the Ukrainian military now that the AA defences have been reduced to just stingers and Iglas.

What needs to happen is they need to spool up a fleet of F-16s with AMRAAM missiles and other weapons to continue to contest the skies or potentially achieve air superiority.

It’s a fact that NATO counts on their air forces rather than surface to air missiles to contest the skies and defend airspace. Ukraine should have been training for F-16s like 6 months ago at least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So why is the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff setting low expectations for Ukraine pushing out the Russians?

Also let’s not forget Ukraine is running out of surface to air missiles at which point Russia will be able to have near free reign to bombard the Ukrainian military now that the AA defences have been reduced to just stingers and Iglas.

What needs to happen is they need to spool up a fleet of F-16s with AMRAAM missiles and other weapons to continue to contest the skies or potentially achieve air superiority.

It’s a fact that NATO counts on their air forces rather than surface to air missiles to contest the skies and defend airspace. Ukraine should have been training for F-16s like 6 months ago at least.

Where is he setting low expectations. You should find the full statements of each because both of those were extremely heavily mis-reported.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ukraine is still operating aircraft off of roads and other makeshift airfield right? That's doable with a small air force but not so much one big enough to really have air superiority.

I don't think you could just dump an entire air force into Ukraine and not have them blown up on the ground by cruise missiles. You need a lot of maintenance and dedicate repair facilities to manage an air force and you can't just hide that stuff in a relatively small country like Ukraine.

If it were as simple as give Ukraine F-16s and they win the war it probably would be have been done by now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doccers posted:

There's a fascinating video from Battleship New Jersey on the process of mothballing a ship and everything they do to prevent corrosion and decay and the process for reactivating it etc. I'll try and find the link.

That channel is a pro follow on YouTube, but oh my god Ryan, take a speaking class or something.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

mllaneza posted:

That channel is a pro follow on YouTube, but oh my god Ryan, take a speaking class or something.

He's getting better!

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Popete posted:

Ukraine is still operating aircraft off of roads and other makeshift airfield right? That's doable with a small air force but not so much one big enough to really have air superiority.

I don't think you could just dump an entire air force into Ukraine and not have them blown up on the ground by cruise missiles. You need a lot of maintenance and dedicate repair facilities to manage an air force and you can't just hide that stuff in a relatively small country like Ukraine.

If it were as simple as give Ukraine F-16s and they win the war it probably would be have been done by now.

The tanks are needed a lot more. I don't think they have enough good pilots to fly enough jets to achieve air superiority, even if they train some up for a year. But every bit helps. Especially since they are already contesting the air space with all the ground-AA scattered everywhere. I think more jets would be useful just for opening up more long-range strikes, like when they got some airstikes off on Snake Island after Moskva was converted to a submarine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mllaneza posted:

He’s why I stopped watching their videos.

With the amount of off the shelf and specialized drones being used in this war, I imagine that all new military vehicles will have to have some sort of counter drone technology or may even have their own drones that they can launch.

Will drones reduce the role of “in person” forward observers or reconnaissance groups?

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 24, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Will drones reduce the roll of “in person” forward observers or reconnaissance groups?

Yeah, I'd assume those people and groups will just become the ones flying the drones.

Although I seem to recall the US has larger drones that can just loiter and really far up and take very high quality surveillance of large areas all at once, as well as you know spy planes and satellites, so not sure if they would have much need of smaller drones for reconnaissance.

Lots of other arms that don't have direct access to that type of stuff, can't see reconnaissance drones not being a huge priority to get and train with from now on. Just so many advantages and so few disadvantages.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

Valve isn't accepting Russian currency or paying Russian developers, right?

i.e. if people in Russia can somehow add foreign currency to their Steam wallets they can still buy games, but no money is going into Russia.

Yes, the easiest way is buying Kazachstan tenge through a third party online wallet and then transferring it to a steam wallet where they convert to "steam roubles".

Funnily, Epic Games Store is working as usual since they have always used third party agent to proceed payments - XSolla, which is an American company founded by Russians, but operates a Russian branch.

Most major publishers stopped selling games on their own though, so the only way to get them is key resellers, where the price is usually 2x from regional prices that Russian gamers are accustomed to.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Apollo posted:

He’s why I stopped watching their videos.

The other goon is right, he is getting better. I've just been watching enough that it's still a sore spot.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I imagine he's basing that opinion on his genuine view of the circumstances. Russia has held onto large swathes of Ukrainian territory since 2014, it will likely be extremely challenging to displace them from those positions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Drones have been the obvious and inevitable 'future of warfare' for 70+ years now and the transition to drones-everywhere-always started in earnest in the 1990s and was in full swing by the 2000s. To be fair, mid 20th century drones were quite rudimentary and not really what people now picture wrt drone warfare, but they have been a significant thing going back to world war 2. Drone integration into units and drone counter measures is solidly a full generation or two ahead of what the fighting in Ukraine makes it look like.

Back in the early 2010s you could tell where US SOF were doing stuff because locals would be posting pictures of the myriad found drones that had been left behind and the stuff they were leaving behind was as or more capable than most anything you see getting used in Ukraine. Hell, some of it was literally the same stuff.

At least in the most cutting edge militaries, the biggest changes are not the presence of drones themselves but the progression of smaller units getting more significant drone resources. And yeah the future of vehicle design is trending towards including role-appropriate drones on most combat vehicles plus putting some kind of anti-drone systems (weapons or otherwise) on basically anything that can carry them.

Basically Ukraine is more showing a change that is already a quarter of a century under way rather than something expressly new. However it is generating a lot of very public, visible footage, much like the Nagorno-Karabach war and ISIS's use of drones did. In contrast, the US classifies almost everything to do with drone warfare so while it has been very much a big thing, it's almost entirely invisible. That said, Ukraine has been extremely clever in their use of drones on almost every level and has done a ton with mostly rudimentary systems.

I expect we'll see a Ukrainian version of the Shahed-136 very soon.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 24, 2022

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Popete posted:

https://mwi.usma.edu/mwi-podcast-understanding-no-fly-zones/

This is a podcast from back in March, but is still relevant in regards to the obvious problems in providing Ukraine with F14/F16. But the final assessment by the US Air Force Colonel is that Ukraine could of and should be flying these airframes by this time in the war. The biggest criticism, and I do not remember if he addresses it, is that they do require long and relatively pristine runways and Ukraine is having problems in that regards. In RUSI report on how the Russian Air Force failed in Ukraine, they do mention the Gripen being the most logical plane for NATO to equip Ukraine with in that it is relatively easy to maintain and you use most roads to take off on.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Hey can one of you libs ban me? This thread was the final straw. Thanks!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1595525040740655118

Hans, are we the baddies?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
The recent attacks are just incredibly wild to me.

How does Putin think this will play out?
Ukraine's population won't suddenly go "hmm, yes, the people who have struck the infrastructure that non-combatants rely on are surely going to treat us well if we surrender the entire/parts of the country"

I really do not understand how anyone can think this is defensible but attacking the bridge to Crimea somehow isn't.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Probably that the humanitarian disaster, chaos and damage to the military will force Ukraine into negotiations to freeze the conflict? Right now everyone is shocked and angry, but if it can become weeks or months of this then it's hard to predict what's going to happen, my hope is that it's Putin's last trump-card to try and destroy infrastructure - nuclear threats, conventional war, economic pressure all failed

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I didn’t see this posted here, but a few days ago a gas pipeline to a major heating plant for ~1 million people blew up outside St Petersburg; https://news.yahoo.com/explosion-gas-pipeline-near-st-214500216.html

Gas pipeline engineers lazy with their cigarettes again. Not totally sure how I feel about it if it was actually Ukrainian action, tbh, but definitely it will have a lesser effect on St Petersburg than what Russia is doing to Kyiv.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

droll posted:

Hey can one of you libs ban me? This thread was the final straw. Thanks!

Watch some nice videos of Ukrainian municipal power plants being cruise missiled, you'll chill out and feel a lot better

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TZer0 posted:

Ukraine's population won't suddenly go "hmm, yes, the people who have struck the infrastructure that non-combatants rely on are surely going to treat us well if we surrender the entire/parts of the country"

I really do not understand how anyone can think this is defensible but attacking the bridge to Crimea somehow isn't.
If they can't annex Ukraine, they will try to destroy it. After all, they believe Ukrainians are subhuman fascist vassals of US and Putin's original plan was to erase Ukraine from the map and commit cultural genocide until Ukrainian identity disappeared.

They might be also trying to set off big migration wave to EU, to diminish Western support.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

I imagine that all new military vehicles will have to have some sort of counter drone technology

The DoD is currently running a program for next-gen replacements for most of their tracked vehicles. One of the requirements seems to be that every single vehicle gets radar-guided light gun AA. ~30mm autocannons on the tanks, and the 50mm autocannon on the IFVs must also be high elevation angle capable with timed airburst shells and AA fire control.

That should handle these kinds of crappy commercial drones just fine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TZer0 posted:

It will constrict Ukraine's ability to continue the offensive, probably. Armies don't operate in a vacuum, they depend on civilian society for all kinds of inputs. For example, if civilians are ravaged by famine and epidemics then it's hard to mobilize able-bodied men to replace your front casualties. There will be a shortage of basic medical supplies. Destruction of electric network will lead to increased reliance on diesel. And so on.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

The DoD is currently running a program for next-gen replacements for most of their tracked vehicles. One of the requirements seems to be that every single vehicle gets radar-guided light gun AA. ~30mm autocannons on the tanks, and the 50mm autocannon on the IFVs must also be high elevation angle capable with timed airburst shells and AA fire control.

That should handle these kinds of crappy commercial drones just fine.

Aren't the smaller ones incredibly difficult to track?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheRat posted:

Aren't the smaller ones incredibly difficult to track?

They're difficult to track with area-coverage radar, but they're slow and very easy to track + shoot down once spotted. This makes old-fashioned AA, like an autocannon mounted on a vehicle, a good counter. Units cannot rely on wider AA coverage and air supremacy removing the need for local AA. Especially not if guarding a fixed position. It's also important to discern between target-acquisition radar and early warning radar. The latter deals poorly with these drones, but the former is still perfectly usable once a drone is spotted.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Germany promised to secure Polish airspace with Patriots and Eurofighter-patrols.

In turn, the Polish government made the very reasonable additional suggestion to also station German Patriots on the Ukrainian side of the border.

So far, the Bundesregierung has refused to comment.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Minister Błaszczak was acting reasonable for way too long. After all he needs to fill the shoes of Antoni Macierewicz. I'd like to comment what I think about Mad Antoni, but I like not being prosecuted..

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

PederP posted:

It's also important to discern between target-acquisition radar and early warning radar. The latter deals poorly with these drones, but the former is still perfectly usable once a drone is spotted.

I guess this distinction is the important one.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Visual identification of drones is becoming easier as well. In the latest round or supplies, the US is sending a few hundred M2 .50 caliber machineguns with thermal scopes for anti-drone work. I presume this is because Ukraine has found that at least somewhat effective.

Now think about AI-enabled visual identification using the type of high-end thermal sights you can put on vehicles, and you can see how low-flying drones can be countered without using expensive missiles and without broadcasting your location with radar.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Strategic bombing is historically a dud even when dropping several orders of magnitude more bombs on civilian infrastructure than Russia is with its missile attacks. It's like people have no sense of scale with this poo poo. It's a tantrum, not an activity that will meaningfully help Russia win the war.

Lots of civilians will die which is Very Bad but the state and the military will continue to function. It's essentially Russia wasting resources it could use on more useful military targets to jerk off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Libluini posted:

Germany promised to secure Polish airspace with Patriots and Eurofighter-patrols.

In turn, the Polish government made the very reasonable additional suggestion to also station German Patriots on the Ukrainian side of the border.

So far, the Bundesregierung has refused to comment.

As I predicted, Poland is again acting in bad faith.

Germany is not going to station German troops in Ukraine and the USA is not going to allow a Patriot system operated by Germany to be stationed in a non-NATO country.