Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Hi, I print NinjaDebugger's resin crack. I'm located in Ontario, Canada, willing to take orders, and I have private messages.

https://mastodon.sandwich.net/@mollymetroid/109308570116521367

A link to some more examples of my catalog (and of my painting). And my Mastodon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Also this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 22, 2022

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Would have swore there was a way to add multiple files...

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

MollyMetroid posted:

Would have swore there was a way to add multiple files...

But I can't figure it out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I just dump my crap on Imgur, but as we've seen in the past few weeks, relying on third-party hosting sites is maybe not the cleverest idea.

I would love critique on these guys.

What a fuckin' thing I did to myself. I originally decided to paint all these dorks in one go, to see how quick I could hammer out black armor. That part went great! Spray black-grey, shade with Payne's grey, highlight with some French blue. Did the whole lot in under an hour. Everything else took the better part of two weeks, which was extremely frustrating. On top of that, I'm struggling with a new camera and finding out it can really only focus on about the center ninth of the entire sensor, which is super rad. Anyway, they're done with and that's always the most important part.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

One of these days I'm going to paint mine of the above, I just need to paint more. Yours look clean and the two tone is interesting and good.

I updated my blog I'm using to put notes and photos and apparently in the last 6 months I've "completed" 54 minis. Crazy. But I need to do more than 9 minis a month, my next goal is 15 a month.

However video games are getting in the way now...

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
If I'm looking to strip some minis using isopropyl alcohol should I also get a mask? I haven't strip minis before and I don't want to end up accidentally destroying my lungs or something.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Those Stormcast are further proof that using the non-deathmask looking heads is a 1000% upgrade. I love those paintjobs.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Still work in progress but I started painting some Underworlds Warbands this week:

Very sad that the whip on one of these guys broke :(

Really enjoying the little details on all the Underworlds and Warcry models.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Lucinice posted:

If I'm looking to strip some minis using isopropyl alcohol should I also get a mask? I haven't strip minis before and I don't want to end up accidentally destroying my lungs or something.

Nah, isopropyl is fine. It's a very volatile chemical (evaporates quicky) but doesn't have any particulates that can gently caress up your lungs. If you decide to huff the bottle you may get a bit dizzy, but that's about it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lucinice posted:

Just don't stand over the container, and remember that it is very, very, very flammable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

If you decide to huff the bottle you may get a bit dizzy, but that's about it.

brb :350:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did one of the new Chosen. These models are fully sick.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Got a starter box for Warhammer and painted minis for the first time in my life:

Decided to strip them and try again with more colors:

Few things i need to learn:
- scrape mould lines
- figure out how to use agarx earthshade and nuln oil
- thin my paints more

But i really like it, it's a pretty chill hobby. Already got a bunch of necrons to paint and got the Kill Team Ocatarius box.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like to listen to Trapped Under Plastic or watch an anime or movie/tv show or listen to an audio book.

I've been at this for less than 2 years and I want to say the answer to "how to use X paint" is always "use less". Obviously there are exceptions, but my personally best paint jobs are were I used the wash to "dab" rather than slap the mini with a brush full of wash.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

engessa posted:

Got a starter box for Warhammer and painted minis for the first time in my life:

Decided to strip them and try again with more colors:

Few things i need to learn:
- scrape mould lines
- figure out how to use agarx earthshade and nuln oil
- thin my paints more

But i really like it, it's a pretty chill hobby. Already got a bunch of necrons to paint and got the Kill Team Ocatarius box.

This is a great start! Welcome to the club fellow newbie/addict lol, I went the into the dark route but the octarius set looks cool for sure. Once my paints arrive in the mail I’ll be sharing my progress as well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Finished this a few weeks ago, but this was my entry into the Wyrd Games fall painting contest. Despite some "fun" during the process (do NOT use poster tack to mask for airbrushing... :cry:) I am super happy with how it came out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Finished this a few weeks ago, but this was my entry into the Wyrd Games fall painting contest. Despite some "fun" during the process (do NOT use poster tack to mask for airbrushing... :cry:) I am super happy with how it came out.

Hooooollllyyy shiiiitt that under light glow is loving amazing great work!!

I am planning on doing something similar with my Gellerpox monster where the flames in his stomach will glow under his face, it’s gonna be a challenge since I don’t have an airbrush but I might be able to pull it off with the dry brush

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Hooooollllyyy shiiiitt that under light glow is loving amazing great work!!

I am planning on doing something similar with my Gellerpox monster where the flames in his stomach will glow under his face, it’s gonna be a challenge since I don’t have an airbrush but I might be able to pull it off with the dry brush

Well good news, that's not airbrush! It's the even easier way to do things: oil paints.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lumpy posted:

This is rad as hell.

Out of curiosity, what was your issue with the poster putty? I've masked a bunch of stuff with blue tack without any problems, but now I'm kinda paranoid.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

grassy gnoll posted:

This is rad as hell.

Out of curiosity, what was your issue with the poster putty? I've masked a bunch of stuff with blue tack without any problems, but now I'm kinda paranoid.

I think it was the fact that my oils were not fully cured. I have stuck things together that were painted with acrylics but not done (my Chaos Knights for example) to play games and had no issues, but in this case, it ripped off huge chunks of paint that I had to fix. Lesson learned!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPOgTXigRI

This was the video that made me realize I am going to be oil painting miniatures at some point.

He has a whole Oil paint playlist on his channel, if you like his painterly approach to the hobby.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was looking through this gallery from the Monte San Savino show :nws: (boobs)

and I absolutely love this thing

Anyone know who the painter/what the model is? I guess these days when I don't recognize a model there's like a 90% chance it's 3D printed...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know who the painter/what the model is? I guess these days when I don't recognize a model there's like a 90% chance it's 3D printed...

Wooooowww that subtle under light glow is amazing

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

The Moon Monster posted:

The character is Hashut, God of the Chaos Dwarfs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No, you Hashut.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfdpNWpFYJD/?hl=en

Insta link.

Ask him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thanks

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Working on this smug fucker right now, among other things.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPOgTXigRI

This was the video that made me realize I am going to be oil painting miniatures at some point.

He has a whole Oil paint playlist on his channel, if you like his painterly approach to the hobby.

If you want oils, check out James Wappel. His video production values aren't as good but he has tons and tons of videos. Many of them are long streams of him painting models start to finish or just experimenting. Marco actually refers to his stuff a few times.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys my Into the dark set is gonna be here in around three weeks, is there any guide for painting all that terrain efficiently? I don’t want to end up running out of miniature paint quickly since shipping all that rear end blasted me cost wise.

Preferably I like the rusted look but if using regular metal is more efficient then fine. I have no problems putting detail where it matters I just want to be effective and efficient.

Thanks!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys my Into the dark set is gonna be here in around three weeks, is there any guide for painting all that terrain efficiently? I don’t want to end up running out of miniature paint quickly since shipping all that rear end blasted me cost wise.

Preferably I like the rusted look but if using regular metal is more efficient then fine. I have no problems putting detail where it matters I just want to be effective and efficient.

Thanks!

For terrain you absolutely should be using rattlecans for your base cost.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Working on this smug fucker right now, among other things.

What is this. I need it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

For terrain you absolutely should be using rattlecans for your base cost.

All of my priming for everything will be done with rattle cans, I got absolutely loving wrecked cost wise shipping those loving things because they’re considered ‘dangerous material’ (flammable aerosol spray cans) so only DHL would ship them, I tried my best to find a local replacement at the art and hardware stores here but no dice, so I’m going to get all the value I possibly can out of them.

I bought the following paint sets:-

GW 40k starter set

Army Painter rattle cans (white, grey, black matte)

Vallejo basic colors set - fantasy battle colors set - game color washes set - skin colors set - metallic colors set.

Army Painter quick washes set.

Yes I bought in bulk because of both big discounts and shipping them all at once is far cheaper for me than realizing I forgot something then having to go through the shipping process again, I don’t have the luxury of Amazon prime type thing since I don’t live in America.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 24, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

It sucks that your hardware store/art store don't carry a variety of colors, sounds like you're not near a hobby store either.

This could be your sign to eventually jump into air brush but that's a big leap I know.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

It sucks that your hardware store/art store don't carry a variety of colors, sounds like you're not near a hobby store either.

This could be your sign to eventually jump into air brush but that's a big leap I know.

Lol that’s too big a leap for me, there are airbrushes here but too expensive especially for a newbie like me who hasn’t painted a space marine since 2000 the cost of buying those paints and shipping them is cheaper than buying an airbrush machine.

When I move to a new place that allows me a hobby room to mess in then I’ll look into it for sure.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks!

Craft paints. Don’t waste mini paints on terrain

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beffer posted:

Sounds good, craft paints like normal acrylics/oils or what? Do craft paints come in metal and rust? It would help if you posted an example so I can look for it in the stores

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 24, 2022

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Congrats! That was a huge number of votes compared to second place!

I slapped together the guitar ghost for the contest.

I've been messing with mixing something I can use like Contrasts out of stuff that I already have, and I think I'm getting to a good place with it. I used it on this one, and the bat monster I posted a while ago. It's just ink, Army Painter Quickeshade Wash Mixing Medium and a little water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks!

Beffer posted:

This.

Painting all that terrain would use up huge amounts of mini paint and wash which costs a lot per ml. You can almost certainly pick up big tubes of acrylic craft paint for the local equivalent of £1ish per tube. Its not great for figures but its absolutely fine for terrain. Or, check out hardware stores and pick up tester pots of their wall paint, a lot of my terrain is painted with those. I'm not saying dont use any mini paints on terrain ever, if there is like a particular detail you want to pick out in macragge blue or whatever, fine. But the bulk of your terrain should be undercoated with a cheap rattle can, painted with cheap hobby paint, washed with watered down cheap hobby paint (or an oil wash if you want to go that route. It looks good but I cant always be bothered with it myself), and drybrushed with cheap craft paint.

Also get yourself some cheap paintbrushes. Big ones. Not like "paint my house" big, but "Hand this to little Billy and he can paint on the poster paper while we watch TV" big. Trying to cover a lot of terrain with your #1 mini basecoating brush is like trying to clean your bathroom with a toothbrush, and will be hard on the brush too. If you get a pack of a variety of sizes you can use the smaller ones for other dirty jobs like applying PVA glue to bases (and also again oil washes). Its super handy to have a few brushes you officially dont have to give a poo poo about keeping nice.

You might want to buy a couple of cheap makeup brushes for drybrushing, they do a power of work particularly on big pieces.

I'm not going to try and give specific advice on the into the dark set, as I havent painted it. But I'm 100% sure if you search for it on youtube a million youtubers have, so have a browse and see what colour schemes you like/techniques you can steal. And/or just browse hobby youtube to get tips on painting rust and weathering terrain. If "Rusty as all gently caress" is what you are looking for, check out Billmakesstuff, I think erics hobby workshow is/was doing some stuff with the into the dark terrain, there are a million and one of them.

ETA:

Lumpy posted:

loving owns, good work!

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 24, 2022