Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you can get multiple sources of it (especially ranged and/or 2+ pip ones), poison is fairly reliable against basically every boss and scary high-HP monster. You just need to be capable of keeping your party mostly alive for a few turns while it does its work.

Hexia will shut you down hard if your party composition is reliant on big melee hits and casting lots of spells. However, you can short-circuit that somewhat by having some means of putting heal-self or shield-self on a hero's big attacks (such as the Enchanter's middle dice faces, for instance). These effects resolve simultaneously with the retaliatory damage and negate it altogether.

You can also just make your attacker unkillable with Valkyrie, but Valkyrie is almost certainly the strongest support hero in the game so "use Valkyrie" isn't exactly ground-breaking advice :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hexia honestly ends up being the easiest boss most of the time. Yeah, mana burn and plain split are nasty, but as long as your build is somewhat sustainable she's not too rough, as she easily has the worst die faces of all the final bosses. Definitely helps that she doesn't have any poison faces, so you can afford to stall a little bit.

Something I didn't see anyone mention: if you have your mage dodge, the mana burn doesn't hit. Kinda niche, but it lets you safely use mana generated from a previous turn (or generated by your healers/rogues).

Oh, also: Warlock ends up pretty great against Hexia too. If you pull off 2 blazes, he'll be dead but Hexia will be at 4 HP.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Any source of Weaken (such as Ghast, Glacia, or especially Fey's dice) is also quite handy vs. Hexia, as it can completely negate demon summons, making for a much more manageable fight. Things get out of hand really fast when you've got summoned demons summoning imps summoning bones.

Wanderer's one-shot Inflict-Pain attack kicks rear end against Hexia, too. Hit her with it when she's about to do her tail sweep thing. Your Wanderer will eat a devastating one (1) damage, and then Hexia will nuke herself for like 7 or 8 damage. Getting her to kill herself with it is especially cathartic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New Peglin update hit the other day, pretty fundamental change to how the game works with the addition of the shop keeper. You now get coins for hitting pegs the first time which give you gold that you can spend after each level is over, letting you upgrade multiple times if you have enough money. Then there's an additional shopkeeper you can go to on the map to buy specific upgrades. Definitely feels a lot better being able to upgrade orbs quickly by saving up gold.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arzaac posted:

Hexia honestly ends up being the easiest boss most of the time. Yeah, mana burn and plain split are nasty, but as long as your build is somewhat sustainable she's not too rough, as she easily has the worst die faces of all the final bosses. Definitely helps that she doesn't have any poison faces, so you can afford to stall a little bit.
I think the dragon's bigger attack rolls are way, way easier to deal with than Hexia in general. To be honest I've never lost to the dragon.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I tend to find the dragon trickier just because everything he does has such big numbers behind it. If you've managed to get some hyper-aggressive synergies you can absolutely knock him out quick, otherwise you have to deal with the possibility of back-to-back fireballs or poison. The bite move is usually a bit easier to deal with but if you're unlucky with rolls you can very easily lose a character early on.

Though I guess in the end it's a bit of a hard comparison, because a lot of comps that have trouble with Hexia will destroy Dragon and vice-versa, I just find that if I'm coming up on the final boss underpowered, Hexia is usually the easiest fight.

The Hand is also a really rough fight, given he can basically do everything the dragon can but stronger, with petrify and enemy summoning thrown in.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Has anyone been playing in the TNNT (The November Nethack Tournament) on hardfought?

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Snooze Cruise posted:

slice and dice has caused me to completely retire circadian dice as one of my go to podcast games

Podcast games? What's that mean? Never heard of podcast games.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People like to play simple games while they listen to podcasts, but I can't multitask like that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TitusGroen posted:

Podcast games? What's that mean? Never heard of podcast games.

The ultimate burn on a game; "This poo poo is so trivial I don't actually need to engage with it" it's like calling something one step up from an idle game, and apparently there is a market for that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wakka wakka

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Serephina posted:

The ultimate burn on a game; "This poo poo is so trivial I don't actually need to engage with it" it's like calling something one step up from an idle game, and apparently there is a market for that.

It's not really a burn. But there are games I am so comfortable with, I can listen to a podcast while playing them.

Turn-based deckbuilders, Civ or Tropico, Skyrim when just running around exploring and not doing quests, etc.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Any game with no dialogue or narrative can be a podcast game. Even the beautiful and soothing song of a Tayga 6436 engine can get boring after a while.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would consider literally every traditional roguelike a podcast game

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
*bands especially make for good podcast games I've found, something about zoning out and just wandering around big levels sifting through loot.

e: why yes I do lose a lot at angband why do you ask :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Well yes, Diablo and similar games have sold millions and millions of units.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Well yes, Diablo and similar games have sold millions and millions of units.

While I do like myself a lot of "podcast games" and Diablo as well, sales numbers have zero correlation with the quality of the product in question.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

While I do like myself a lot of "podcast games" and Diablo as well, sales numbers have zero correlation with the quality of the product in question.

Yeah, I was replying sarcastically to the part of 'apparently there is a market for that' :P

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

nah this isn't true at all for me, and it isn't about a game being "simple" either it's just something you've spent enough time with that you can kinda autopilot it while your brain multitasks. for me that game was the binding of isaac, i would watch let's plays or stuff while playing because i put like 1000+ hours into that game and i could turn my brain off while playing it. it's nice, and not a burn.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

nah this isn't true at all for me, and it isn't about a game being "simple" either it's just something you've spent enough time with that you can kinda autopilot it while your brain multitasks. for me that game was the binding of isaac, i would watch let's plays or stuff while playing because i put like 1000+ hours into that game and i could turn my brain off while playing it. it's nice, and not a burn.

agreed 100%. I don't even play videogames with a storyline or if they have one I just skip through it to get to gameplay. For me video games are just a fun thing to stimulate your mind while you relax, I just wanna push some buttons and make some numbers go up or whack some bad guys, not have a cinematic experience.

Not that there's anything wrong with storyline/cinematic games, but there's room for both types to exist.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2141900/Ravyne/ One of those Relatively Out From Nowhere sorts of situations it'd seem.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Is We Who Are About To Die fun?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The gold update for Peglin gives it what it desperately needed: a solid reason for you to engage your monkey brain and be fascinated by the ball bouncing around on the plinko board.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how do i kill the goldfish-looking things that are linked together in sprogiwood?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You have to kill them both in a single action/turn. This involves AoE, or having the second one die by 'accident' as you kill the first.

Or just run the gently caress away, that also works! Sproggi is a seriously evil game with a mobile game wrapper.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

resistentialism posted:

The gold update for Peglin gives it what it desperately needed: a solid reason for you to engage your monkey brain and be fascinated by the ball bouncing around on the plinko board.

I regret to say this, but Peglin turned out kinda mid for me. Idk what is it exactly, but it just doesn't feel very satisfying. I played it for a bit and just never find myself wanting more. But maybe it's just me, looking at the top steam reviews people seem to have put a crazy amount of hours into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think a lot of the boards are frankly not as well-designed as, say, peggle proper. They usually have strongly-themed visuals but a lot are gimmicky and annoying to work through.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. Too often there's a situation where you can only comfortably hit 1 or 2 pegs and your orb gets wasted. Doesn't feel good. And the moving boards are almost completely random and annoying.

The times when I actually had fun were when I got the magnet upgrade, otherwise it's just kind of a chore

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://aukustus.itch.io/realms-of-the-lost/devlog/454729/updated-to-alpha-6

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think it's a lot of fun and something you can devote 20 minutes to in a day with how quick the fights can be.

It may be just me but the learning curve is up there for getting proper hits (throwing weapons is even harder)

I'm slowly getting the hang of the combat, but I get stomped on quite a bit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheWorldsaStage posted:

20 hours in it. Steep learning curve, especially if you aren't careful with stamina management. Can be extremely frustrating Once you learn how to fight, though, you'll mulch almost all opponents up until the high tier gladiators. Fights can get samey. Game needs more time to bake IMO. Solo dev so don't expect rapid updates.

The stamina system heavily punishes being hit, and your weapon strikes heavily rely on having not only stamina to actually complete your attack, but also accurate targeting to actually do any damage. Enemy shields are stupidly obnoxious. Most of the time your attacks will get deflected for free because the physics decided you didn't do enough blood sacrifices.

Outside the combat itself, the career management is fairly shallow. Heal up, train a skill, spend gold/fame, check to see if any equipment is worth getting, then go back into the arena. That's an area that'll need much more development and expansion.

If you liked Mount & Blade's tournaments then yeah check it out, it's pretty much that but updated for modern gaming. But unless you're a superfan of that I'd hold off for at least a few updates.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome, I'll give it a little more time then. Thank ya!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Awesome, I'll give it a little more time then. Thank ya!

Some combat tips for WWAATD for anyone curious:
  • Turn on the training UI so you know exactly which sector you're swinging from (there are 8 total, three directions each side plus thrust and overhead)
  • Don't try to attack while you're at low stamina, just back off and rile up the crowd
  • Kick or shield bash to open up a shield-bearing opponent for a followup strike
  • Flails are unbelievably overpowered right now. Maces and axes are very effective with overhead attacks. Swords are very precise and good for striking exposed flesh on the arms and legs
  • When you get comfortable enough with the camera, turn off target lock. This lets you swing "through" with your attacks via sweeping your mouse as you release the attack, which increases your damage. You can also double-tap to hop towards the enemy or in the direction of your attack for increased damage
  • Train Stamina ASAP. At 30-40 skill in Stamina you'll have enough that you can do a few attacks in a row without being completely gassed.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Why did I not play Furcifer's Fungeon before? It's so freaking charming and fun.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Serephina posted:

You have to kill them both in a single action/turn. This involves AoE, or having the second one die by 'accident' as you kill the first.

Or just run the gently caress away, that also works! Sproggi is a seriously evil game with a mobile game wrapper.
yeah the goldfish are evil as hell (if you search this thread for "goldfish" I'm sure that you will find me, among others, saying this previously) so there's no shame in running

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Zorbus has a tournament in December with Steam / Amazon gift cards as prizes. More info at tournament.zorbus.net.

The game is currently on sale on Steam, 25% off.

Some free Steam keys (remove the underscore character):

Edit: all gone

zorbus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 24, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zorbus posted:

Some free Steam keys (remove the underscore character):

P6L_T2-7CJGG-N75GK

I yoinked that one, thanks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

zorbus posted:

DWGP5-5DHMX-MG8_6M

Claimed, thanks!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

zorbus posted:

TY_FH4-9THJA-0HNAP

snagged this! thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2141900/Ravyne/ One of those Relatively Out From Nowhere sorts of situations it'd seem.

Did anyone else try this?
Thought it looked pretty neat, but there isn't really anything to do here unless I have completely missed something?

zorbus posted:

QJDK7-F9HTH-N2_QAW
And I took this one. Thanks!