Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I managed that by shooting a fire arrow at the base of the rope so the splash set the rope on fire without breaking it. Then I grabbed the chest with Magnesis and waited for the fire to burn through the rope.
Clever! I haven't played it in a while, can the chest be statis'd prior to shooting the arrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Fifty Three posted:

Clever! I haven't played it in a while, can the chest be statis'd prior to shooting the arrow?

yes but you can't magnesis it while it's stasised.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to climb down the tower and almost died but made it. Saw a camp of four monsters and avoided it because the last camp that size took me three deaths to clear out. Made a sprinting jump for a platform with TWO chests on it and fell into a tar pit.

Entered my first trial where I picked up a magnetizer and then died trying to get to a chest high up on a wall by dropping a big block on myself. I failed to get to that chest so many times that I gave up and Googled it and found that you can just grab the drat thing with the magnet!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I give BOTW Link a pass on missing simple puzzle solutions, on account of the sheer amount of blunt force trauma he takes to the head in those situations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The mythical twink himbo.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 27, 2022

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

drat, that's clever. I keep thinking that stasis must be involved.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Golux posted:

yes but you can't magnesis it while it's stasised.
Gotcha. Seems like you might be able to de-stasis it, very quickly open the menu, and magnesis it? Does this chest respawn because now I wanna try it lol

Edit oh duh you can't go back inside

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Fifty Three posted:

Gotcha. Seems like you might be able to de-stasis it, very quickly open the menu, and magnesis it? Does this chest respawn because now I wanna try it lol

Edit oh duh you can't go back inside

This is what I tried. The chest will fall before the magnesis beam can hit the chest.

One thing that might work: stasis the chest, shoot the rope, throw a bomb and detonate it when it's on the other side of the chest? Or throw a boomerang so it hits the chest on the way back?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to climb down the tower and almost died but made it. Saw a camp of four monsters and avoided it because the last camp that size took me three deaths to clear out. Made a sprinting jump for a platform with TWO chests on it and fell into a tar pit.

Entered my first trial where I picked up a magnetizer and then died trying to get to a chest high up on a wall by dropping a big block on myself. I failed to get to that chest so many times that I gave up and Googled it and found that you can just grab the drat thing with the magnet!

When the attempts stop being fun, there's no shame in googling. But the game is built around using the abilities you get on the plateau, it just may take a bit for you to get used to thinking in those terms because the game doesn't rub your face in it. And they made it in such a way that """"unintended"""" solutions can just as easily work anyway. Experimentation and serendipity are key.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Yeah, one the game's biggest faults imo is that once you're thinking on the game's wavelength, a lot of the puzzles become too easy until some of the DLC shrines.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The game was not designed for most players to find every korok or do every shrine. The result is a game that feels tedious and spread thin when Hardcore Gamers who clock multiple hours a day and go for completion play it. For the intended more casual audience, it's much more exciting and novel.

This is a flaw, and it can be improved upon objectively, but it's also a considered decision made to balance difficulty, quantity vs. quality of content, populating the open world with points of interest, and development resources.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Getting every shrine is cool and good. Finding every Korok is bugnuts bananas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't even care about Koroks after getting the first couple dozen for slot upgrades. Oh, a flower or boulder that seems out of place? Can't be bothered, I've got things to do

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MokBa posted:

Specifically, it's some crazy poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was very smart to make it so that the maximum upgrades are attained when you've collected half of the korok seeds.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't even care about Koroks after getting the first couple dozen for slot upgrades. Oh, a flower or boulder that seems out of place? Can't be bothered, I've got things to do

If I come across one, I'll absolutely stop for it and give it a shot. But I've never gone and intentionally sought them out.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

MokBa posted:

Imagine being a programmer in the most ambitious Nintendo project ever and getting chosen for Korok duty.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

It's pretty good design how there's clear tiers of goals to achieve in the game, with "100% Koroks" being by far the least important and indeed intended for insane completionists only.

In order from the most to least important/expected, by my estimation:
Kill Ganon > Liberate all Divine Beasts > Find and acquire the Master Sword > Find all Zelda memories > Find and unlock all Great Fairies > Clear all shrines > Acquire every outfit > Max out every outfit > Max out your inventory >> Gather every Korok seed

e: House + Tarrey Town could also be in there somewhere, it's certainly far more expected for an average player to complete than many of the latter items on the list. I suppose it's essentially the latest version of the traditional Zelda trading sequence.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 24, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And there's a huge gulf between the design philosophies behind Shrines and Koroks. You have a tool to find shrines built into your UI, you can easily keep track of all of them on the map, they are all mostly unique, you gain significant rewards all along the way for doing them, and there's an actual cool reward for doing them all. This all speaks to the intention being that the average player absolutely could do all the shrines without too much trouble if it interested them. The koroks on the other hand are far more numerous, hidden, less unique, and less rewarding at both stages of completion.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

As far as useless completionism (that the game itself actually tracks) goes theres also 100% the map by visiting every named location, getting the monster medallions for killing every single boss monster at least once, and getting every photo, though that one can be cheesed with rupees.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mylan posted:

...getting every photo, though that one can be cheesed with rupees.
:aaaaa:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly they took better photos than I could anyways. Would be nice if you could switch between developer and personal pictures for entries.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/retronnity/status/1595637943192154112?s=46&t=A5jMNHQT932Ns4x4TRcUDQ

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm starting to come around on master mode somewhat. I had bounced off it years ago but my son (4) who is obsessed with this game wanted to see it. It's really making me think about enemy encounters and use all the tools at my disposal. I don't know how far I'll take it, not looking forward to the blights especially, but for now I think I'll continue.

One thing's for sure, I'm going to have to get to the woodland tower soon to start up my collection of royal claymores. I tried a sneak strike on a white moblin with a 20-atk sword and it just about bounced off its hide for all the damage it did.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm starting to come around on master mode somewhat. I had bounced off it years ago but my son (4) who is obsessed with this game wanted to see it. It's really making me think about enemy encounters and use all the tools at my disposal. I don't know how far I'll take it, not looking forward to the blights especially, but for now I think I'll continue.

One thing's for sure, I'm going to have to get to the woodland tower soon to start up my collection of royal claymores. I tried a sneak strike on a white moblin with a 20-atk sword and it just about bounced off its hide for all the damage it did.

You can eventually overpower Master Mode too. Trick is to avoid combat, progress by puzzles, keep the enemies from levelling up as long as possible.

Ganon on Master is fun, that invincibility phase makes you think about how to do more damage then he'll inevitably heal back.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The weapon durability and cycling generic weapons is a weird paradigm shift for a series that is built up so much around named/sacred weapons. Then you encounter the non-Master Sword sacred weapons in the game and they're just as fragile as anything else. And the Master Sword itself is limited in when its max power and how much you can use it.

you could pick up weapons in many of the games

deku stick is breakable and stronger hitting as child link, giant knife/biggoron sword

wind waker you can pick up weapons

just like gliding. cuckoos could do it in oot and and there's an item in wind waker. still a series staple mechanic, just not the emphasis

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Did the weapons break in Wind Waker?

Deku sticks were never your main weapon and using them as a weapon was always a secondary purpose. The Giant’s Knife broke in part as a clue to there being a way to permanently stop it from breaking.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shiroc posted:

Did the weapons break in Wind Waker?

Deku sticks were never your main weapon and using them as a weapon was always a secondary purpose. The Giant’s Knife broke in part as a clue to there being a way to permanently stop it from breaking.

Wind Waker enemy weapons disappeared when you went through a door. Always disappointed me; Moblin polearms were fun to wave around.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

You can eventually overpower Master Mode too. Trick is to avoid combat, progress by puzzles, keep the enemies from levelling up as long as possible.

Ganon on Master is fun, that invincibility phase makes you think about how to do more damage then he'll inevitably heal back.

I don't know if I'll ever get there; when it stops being fun I'll probably peter out. Found out today I am definitely not ready for Hyrule Castle, though. I haven't even gone to the Dueling Peaks yet, let alone any of the rune upgrades, so I'll be back later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shiroc posted:

The weapon durability and cycling generic weapons is a weird paradigm shift for a series that is built up so much around named/sacred weapons. Then you encounter the non-Master Sword sacred weapons in the game and they're just as fragile as anything else. And the Master Sword itself is limited in when its max power and how much you can use it.

The focus in BOTW is on Link (and the player) as a warrior rather than the weapon he wields. He'll stop Guardian blasts with a pot lid, he'll murder Lynels with the sword of the last Moblin he just killed for getting in the way. Whatever's on hand, he can and will murder with it like he's John Wick taking a walk.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Link is basically a superhero in BotW. He has super strength, can nearly freeze time, and can climb nearly any vertical surface (as long as it's dry). He defeated the kingdom's best soldiers as a small child. No wonder he's such a twink - he would have to bench press guardians just to build any muscle.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

i actually appreciate master mode for this because my normal impulse in a game like this is to kill every single living creature that crosses the camera's view, and having incentives to actually pick your battles is refreshing

though i would say it's much less the scaling (beating the divine beasts gives you like 200x more exp than anything else anyway) and more how most enemies do not carry weapons that are good enough to beat them and their two buddies too unlike in normal mode. you tend to leave encounters with less stuff instead of more if you just slaughter everything indiscriminately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wanted to get around to a botw replay before totk and finally got around to it, wrapping it last night (doing enough for the postcredits scene and champion's ballad). Some of the game's issues definitely stuck out more, but there were also fun things like how much easier traversal is when you know how to beeline acquiring and upgrading the climbing/zora/stealth armors and how different the game is when you're not being completionist. I never saw a lynel besides the one with the shock arrows (granted I knew to avoid the one in hyrule castle) and my weapon lineup was way more piddly than my old 2018 file, which was full of royal and lynel weapons with special traits.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Suggestive themes better mean that everyone once again spends the entire game trying to gently caress Link.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can't believe they put in Lynel dicks. You will regret this!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Suggestive themes better mean that everyone once again spends the entire game trying to gently caress Link.

there is a 10 hour long cutscene thats just a loop of the zelda rear end shot from the first game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

External Organs posted:

Where! How could they! Show me them,

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been getting my rear end handed to me by this game. My biggest struggle is fumbling with the controls when a weapon breaks during combat and long-range archery.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

External Organs posted:

How many does a Great Fairy demand to upgrade your armour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been getting my rear end handed to me by this game. My biggest struggle is fumbling with the controls when a weapon breaks during combat and long-range archery.

There’s a few bows you’ll come across that zoom way out and let you hit targets from a distance. If you’re struggling to remember the button to hit swap weapons, you can always pause the game and do it in the menus. Honestly? Stick with stealth and avoid combat till you can get a bunch of heart containers first.