Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

zorbus posted:

9FWJM-ZK0_X3-75W6K

Just to save everyone else time, this one appears to have been lurked (but the game is only :5bux: and looks good if you're into old school RLs so what have you got to lose?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
it's zorbin' time

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Flimf posted:

Did anyone else try this?
Thought it looked pretty neat, but there isn't really anything to do here unless I have completely missed something?

Just looking at this made my eyes hurt ;-;

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been getting into Brutal Orchestra the roguelite recently and it's alot of fun but man I find it really hard. Has anyone else messed with this that has some tips? I hate how RNG it feels to get a full party in a run. I managed to "beat" it once and unlock the real third stage but I've only made it to the boss there once and I was limping along and had no chance of beating them.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It would seem Ravyne is one of those Unravels Willfully Vaguely sorts, though probably not to a Celebration of Violence extent:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2141900/discussions/0/3542672490612647254/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

on my first run of slice and dice i lucked into the valkyrie right before fighting the dragon which basically hard countered his giant single target hits lol. was a very easy fight after that.

can i see the boss before getting there?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been getting into Brutal Orchestra the roguelite recently and it's alot of fun but man I find it really hard. Has anyone else messed with this that has some tips? I hate how RNG it feels to get a full party in a run. I managed to "beat" it once and unlock the real third stage but I've only made it to the boss there once and I was limping along and had no chance of beating them.

Positioning is very important in this game. A lot of enemies move after being hit, move before attacking, or move your guys, etc. You always want want to finish your turn so that the most enemy attacks go into empty spaces. Order of operations is also important, you need to consider how each attack will change the board and plan them accordingly. Things that grant you additional moves or restrict the opponent are valuable.

Pearl and Burnout are probably the strongest/easiest companions to handle. Fo me at least, I only have about 50% unlocked so far. Pearl can hit multiple opponents and if a boss occupies more than one space that counts as double damage. Burnout can also be pretty strong if his refresh chance gets upgraded.

Pigment management becomes more important as you go on, later on there are enemies that can generate a lot of it to overheat you, so it's good to have some way of dumping it and/or manipulating the color

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Just looking at this made my eyes hurt ;-;
Why?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

It would seem Ravyne is one of those Unravels Willfully Vaguely sorts, though probably not to a Celebration of Violence extent:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2141900/discussions/0/3542672490612647254/

But that's the thing. What this person is saying here isn't really anything. I'll spoil this just in case but as far as I can tell all you can do in this game is (There is no documentation and the config is just fullscreen and volume):

- As far as I can tell this is it for controls:
- Walk around with WASD.
- You can "mine" through the black areas but this does nothing except make a path through that area and eventually your pickaxe breaks.
- Drink a potion with H (there are only healing potions).
- Quit the game with Q.

- Eventually you run into an enemy (C)and when you kill that enemy a boss (D) spawns somewhere on the map and moves directly towards you. it does an AOE attack and then just sits there for a couple of "turns" and then does it again. That's all it does.
- Killing the normal enemis turns them into ghosts (G) and they just kind of sit around just inside your view and move away if you approach. They do nothing.

- You can continue running around and the boss will chase you until you kill it. After killing it, the game just starts spawning copies of the boss until you die I guess.
- You can pick up more health potions (!) randomly on the ground and you can also collect wisps (W) that makes you do more damage.

So that's why I asked because I haven't been able to find any form of equipment or landmark or literally anything else in the hour I played. I am all for obscurity in games but if you are going to do that there should at least be something that indicates you are doing that.

Like, I don't want to be petty about the 3 euros this costs, but this is not worth that. You can literally see everything there is in the game in the 7 screenshots on the steampage lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh huh, only just now noticed that gearhead caramel is now on steam

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Awesome! posted:

on my first run of slice and dice i lucked into the valkyrie right before fighting the dragon which basically hard countered his giant single target hits lol. was a very easy fight after that.

can i see the boss before getting there?

Not to my knowledge, no

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the other day i remembered this game from my childhood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4tByHAo8E

and it got me thinking:

- run based
- permadeath
- choose your own path through each run
- randomly generated caves
heck it even features numpad controls

is DuckTales: The Quest for Gold on MS-DOS a roguelike

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh huh, only just now noticed that gearhead caramel is now on steam

is this the good gearhead, the next one. why are there so many. i want to love gearhead but everytime i've booted it up across it's various iterations it's been half a game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pladdicus posted:

is this the good gearhead, the next one. why are there so many. i want to love gearhead but everytime i've booted it up across it's various iterations it's been half a game.

its the latest one yea. he has been working on this one since 2017. the last time i tried it i was disappointed it didn't had jets but looks like those are in again so i am probably going to pick it up. you can just also still grab it for free on github it looks like.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Curious to see how folks like Zorbus. I've won two runs and really like the concept of the end game, it's very cool. Game does start to drag for me in the early to mid game though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tiny Rogues dropped a big fat patch: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3526910436006335653

quote:

Highlights:
  • Tiny Rogues is now Steam Deck verified!
  • New control scheme: Controller
  • New control scheme: Keyboard only
  • Extended OST!
  • New class: Gunslinger
  • Class rework: Pyromancer
  • Added 12 new weapons.
  • Reworked a bunch of event rooms.
  • Added 5 new traits.
  • Added 7 new weapon enchantment modifiers.
  • Added a new Shopkeeper and made improvements to existing shops.
  • New Soul Orb consumable effect that allows swapping out a trait.
  • Steam Cloud is supported since a few weeks ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjqW50YKjk

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

(Tiny Rogues) I like this change:

Attributes now provide minor increases to stats.
1 Point of Strength grants 0.5% increased damage.
1 Point of Dexterity grants 0.5% increased attack speed.
1 Point of Intelligence grants 0.5% added critical hit chance.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tiny Rogues's Patch done made the game unplayable.

It is now continually spamming "Now controlling without mouse" and "Now controlling with mouse" alerts when I try to play with mouse and keyboard. I don't understand how something like this could actually make it to a live patch.

EDIT
It's egregious. Just moving and aiming makes the error start, and it'll keep on going even if you back into the main menu. Literally toggling the mouse on and off also doesn't fix it.

EDIT 2
Oh, hey, the dev responded to my post about it immediately. I mean, some of that has got to be "they happened to be online", but I think that it nonetheless speaks very highly about how much they value their game and the community of players.

EDIT 3
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand solved. Absolutely fantastic dev support.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 26, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tiny Rogues's Patch done made the game unplayable.

It is now continually spamming "Now controlling without mouse" and "Now controlling with mouse" alerts when I try to play with mouse and keyboard. I don't understand how something like this could actually make it to a live patch.

Well, it didn't happen to everyone. At least it didn't happen to me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT 3
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand solved. Absolutely fantastic dev support.

Yea, small studios can be amazing like that. Been several moments in the Qud thread where Unormal personally gives advice/fixes emailed save files within hours, it's amazing. Really makes me glad I supported them, even if I normally loathe early access.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
finally put some hours into that game now that there is controller support, this is nifty and fun. goodbye crt effects though you are not really adding anything lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Both the We Who Are About To Die and the Tiny Rogues devs are highly attentive to their games, I have high hopes for both of these games. For some reason I feel like the roguelike/roguelite genre, especially in particular, has devs who really love playing their own games and therefore gets a high amount of attentiveness and development compared to most other genres.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Serephina posted:

Yea, small studios can be amazing like that. Been several moments in the Qud thread where Unormal personally gives advice/fixes emailed save files within hours, it's amazing. Really makes me glad I supported them, even if I normally loathe early access.

That's because Unormal owns. Go follow him on twitter for extra fun!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How do people feel about Time Break Chronicles? Search showed people talking about it a bit over the summer but not much since then. Picked it up during the sale at a friend's recommendation and it's fine, but I feel like I'm really missing something. Since HP and MP refresh every mission I don't really see how the characters are supposed to get worn down over a run - there's Stamina but that seems to go down incredibly slowly, and I'm also not really sure how it goes down (I didn't notice any connection between characters being KO'd and losing more stamina, for example).

Basically every fight that isn't an Elite-level encounter feels like a huge waste of time since there's no resources to burn. Do higher ascension levels become hard enough where you're regularly using Break powers and particles become more valuable? Those Elite encounters also feel really volatile, in my last run I hit four of them and the first was challenging but ultimately had no KOs (wrestlers), the second absolutely destroyed me and resulted in 5 KOs that I only survived by using a "run from battle" item (outlaws[?], it was like cowboy/wasteland themed enemies), and two fights that were just as easy as normal fights (wrestlers again and mechs).

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I like it a lot. But for me the fun is mostly in unlocking all the different characters and doing their missions. I agree that usually the regular battles are not super interesting, but you can autoplay those on high speed if you find them boring. Imo in act III the regular enemies become more challenging, I had a couple run wipes on the plant enemies that prevent others from being downed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really like it but its one i feel like i got enough time out and want to wait for the full release so i am not burnout at that point.

stamina does become a factor on longer runs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

How do people feel about Time Break Chronicles? Search showed people talking about it a bit over the summer but not much since then. Picked it up during the sale at a friend's recommendation and it's fine, but I feel like I'm really missing something. Since HP and MP refresh every mission I don't really see how the characters are supposed to get worn down over a run - there's Stamina but that seems to go down incredibly slowly, and I'm also not really sure how it goes down (I didn't notice any connection between characters being KO'd and losing more stamina, for example).

Basically every fight that isn't an Elite-level encounter feels like a huge waste of time since there's no resources to burn. Do higher ascension levels become hard enough where you're regularly using Break powers and particles become more valuable? Those Elite encounters also feel really volatile, in my last run I hit four of them and the first was challenging but ultimately had no KOs (wrestlers), the second absolutely destroyed me and resulted in 5 KOs that I only survived by using a "run from battle" item (outlaws[?], it was like cowboy/wasteland themed enemies), and two fights that were just as easy as normal fights (wrestlers again and mechs).

Stamina does become more relevant at higher difficulty, since stamina drain progressively ramps up the more you use a character on a given mission. There are some really brutal challenge modifiers, too. But it's a fairly easy game overall and it never really reaches the point where items and break techs become super necessary; if you want a challenge you will probably be trying to avoid using them just to preserve some difficulty, although to be fair at the highest difficulty level throwing items and particles at problems won't necessarily save you either.

Part of the problem is that encounters are tuned with the expectation that you're constantly rotating in new characters as you pick them up and will be facing most fights with underleveled parties, so once you put some optimization into your team you're going to dunk on most things until you get to very high difficulty (which takes some grinding to get to.) The main draw is really the sheer variety of the cast more than anything.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Controller support in Tiny Rogues is definitely awesome, i finally picked it up the day before it was added even though i avoided it for a long time because of no controller support.

It works well enough for me at least.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody got any tips for brutal orchestra? I can do the initial area fine but once I get to the first boss everything goes down hill.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

DrManiac posted:

Anybody got any tips for brutal orchestra? I can do the initial area fine but once I get to the first boss everything goes down hill.

That's pretty early to choke.
Are you reviewing the enemy's turn previews in the top bar? This is crucial.
Utilizing your movements well? Remember that your characters don't use their movement for the turn if they get they get their place swapped by someone else.
Prioritize clearing out attacking enemies to have as many of your characters in damage free spaces by the end of your turn as you can.
A smaller team can be safer against some enemies, an empty space on your field can save you from a ton of damage in some fights (and a good team of three might not take any damage at all) but this isn't always necessary.
Using the wrong pigment for a move can often be the correct choice if it saves you health in the long run.
Putting money into Hans' rank might help you get farther. Get familiar with enemy moves so you know when to heal with blue pigment before it gets syphoned.

Edit: there's a few more BO tips a few posts up this page ^^^

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 27, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Managed to get a win in Brutal Orchestra. The other last boss option is way easier (IMO) than Heaven but I'll take it. I do kind of dislike stalling for healing to recoup on some encounters but I like the game alot otherwise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Rogues indeed owns thanks as always for the recommendation, thread :tipshat:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I thought the max party size was 3 in brutal orchestra so I never bothered trying to recruit other members, welp! I did go on to easily beat the game once but I’m guessing this game is doing the binding of Isaac thing where runs get progressively harder.

I really appreciate the effort that went into the soundtrack. It looks like every encounter got it’s own theme and the all sound great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I thought the max party size was 3 in brutal orchestra so I never bothered trying to recruit other members, welp! I did go on to easily beat the game once but I’m guessing this game is doing the binding of Isaac thing where runs get progressively harder.

I really appreciate the effort that went into the soundtrack. It looks like every encounter got it’s own theme and the all sound great.

The music is so nuts. I love how like every time a Music Man evolves it adds whatever instrument they became to the fight track.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What's the thread's general consensus on ADOM II: Caverns of Chaos? It's not doing awesome in steam reviews and I haven't played it since the early access release

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
ADOM II is the greatest contemporary practical and spiritual failure in Roguelike times until ideally, almost arbitrarily, proven otherwise by updates manifesting in the hereafter.

In a better world, people will brute force Jupiter Hell's eventual full modding/TC capabilities to try to pick up the pieces with the elder JADE Java pre-alpha incarnation.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
They got tired of working on it and declared it complete AFAIK. I have fond memories of the original and it's bullshit but have no interest in the sequel.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

even adom superfans wont touch uadom. it's bad and unfinished

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What's the thread's general consensus on ADOM II: Caverns of Chaos? It's not doing awesome in steam reviews and I haven't played it since the early access release

it's buggy rehash trash made by a garbage man who still doesn't get that making ADOM 1 moddable was his only way forward

off to obscurity he goes, meanwhile Dwarf Fortress is up on the hill in the huge lit tavern throwing a rager and everyone is invited

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't know if it's been fixed by now but it's funny to look at the ADOM2 dev blog and see the last post is from over a year ago explaining why saving and loading doesn't work but they'll get it fixed very soon, with no further updates. Did that get fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I don't play ADOM but I do occasionally pull up a Yulgash stream just because it's astounding to see how fast he can play such a complicated game. He did some streams of 2 and to say he was negative about it would be an understatement. It looked very bad.