Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Grand Fromage posted:

That's why I never play permadeath or ironman or whatever in anything. I've had enough save corruptions and weird bugs in my gaming life to tell me that's a recipe for disaster.

Yeah I liked to play Honest-Man runs in XCOM where I don't do official Ironman because I don't trust the game not to completely bug out on me for some reason.

XCOM with all the expansions was a shonky beast and there is nothing worse than getting through a tough mission by the skin of your teeth only to have the game crash on the way back to the Skyranger, or just have some bug make the Hacking Object unhackable or my wounded soldier get stuck on some block floating in the air or my cat runs across the keyboard while I'm aiming a grenade.

I thought Below Zero was quite inferior as a whole to the original Subnautica. Yeah it had some cool environments and some more polished mechanics and some fun structures, but the Sea-Truck was kind of a letdown compared to Seamoth + Cyclops from the original. It also didn't really have the depth *hurr hurr* of the original, I think I only ever really went deep on a single expedition, which was cool, but ultimately didn't have the same effect as my final run in the original.

- It was a lot less scary
- The surface sections were rather boring. The cold never really affected me much and the environments felt really samey.
- I hated the voice acting, it took away my immersion. The character sounded like she was getting sexually pleasured when she ate things. The tone was way off as she'd be having chipper conversations with her spunky robot pal moments after finding details of her sister's death.
- Anthropomorphizing the aliens was a bad idea. They seemed very mysterious in an interesting way and now it's just another loving quippy robot who asks me about 'life', like these aliens don't know about life having been researching it themselves for millennia.
- The only other human character you meet absolutely didn't work for me. She was much better off in the voice-logs in Sub1. Meeting Marguerite felt very Star Wars in a bad way.

Don't get me wrong. It was still cool and had its moments and I'd still try a third one, but they'll need to do something different because Below Zero was not worth it. Bought it in early access and waited years and then it was a bit of a wet fart.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

By screwing up the landing and finding yourself in the same survive-or-die situation very quickly, this opening makes my character feel a bit foolish. I kept thinking what was "Plan A" after landing. I kept coming back to it when I was getting near the end or trying to pick up a plot thread, "Why did I do this to myself".

You gently caress up and get hit by meteors, but I think aside from the danger of maybe freezing you land basically as planned. The guy at the beginning implies that your landing craft can't reach escape velocity on its own anyways, but Robin chose to be stranded (and if you've played the previous game, it seems reasonable that she planned to make her own escape rocket when she was done). The plan was always to land and then scoot over to the scoot over to the drop pod. The landing craft that was destroyed apparently held no value for her.

And then since the player character this time around is an actual character, she implies that she has some kind of training and experience with survival situations, which further takes away from the early game anxiety. She's an expert. If you the player have trouble, that's your deal, that's not the player character's deal.

And at the end of the game, it's not as triumphant of a moment as creating a whole dang rocket, Alan just shows you a portal and drives you away. It's a neat sequence, but it doesn't really have much emotional or mechanical weight. Maybe you put a bunch of work into resurrecting and decranialating Alan, but that didn't feel as satisfying to me as helping the Sea Emperor either. And Robin is apparently unconcerned with anything back on Earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up Subnautica with the sale and have taken my first steps - got the repair tool, the high capacity tank, and the seaglide. A couple of questions:

1. There's a very unpleasant grainy filter thing in dark areas and at night. Well-lit areas and the flashlight remove it. I'm running on high graphics. Is this a known issue?

2. Is there a good place to find copper? I think half my play time so far has been scouring the sea floor looking for outcroppings hoping for copper.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cythereal posted:

I picked up Subnautica with the sale and have taken my first steps - got the repair tool, the high capacity tank, and the seaglide. A couple of questions:

1. There's a very unpleasant grainy filter thing in dark areas and at night. Well-lit areas and the flashlight remove it. I'm running on high graphics. Is this a known issue?

2. Is there a good place to find copper? I think half my play time so far has been scouring the sea floor looking for outcroppings hoping for copper.

1. Hard to tell from what you're describing, but there's a deliberate haze in certain areas to reduce visibility.

2. Break limestone outcrops; half of them are copper and half titanium. There's a lot of them in the giant pipe in very shallow water near your lifepod. After a while you start to recognize their outline. When you get the scanner room blueprints, discovery ceases to be a problem

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Copper is one of those annoying things that when you need it you will lose the coin flip five times in a row

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My experience is you're always strapped for at least a couple resources until you get the prawn and start drilling big boys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I understand that I can poke a seabase up above the surface for access to oxygen and solar power. But I can't seem to get a foundation to set on the surface itself as part of the structure. What am I missing here?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I understand that I can poke a seabase up above the surface for access to oxygen and solar power. But I can't seem to get a foundation to set on the surface itself as part of the structure. What am I missing here?

Base building is dependent on where you place your first piece. It affects height, orientation and a few other things. Could be what’s going on, you may have to build something new with your first piece being on the surface exactly where you want it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cartoon Man posted:

Base building is dependent on where you place your first piece. It affects height, orientation and a few other things. Could be what’s going on, you may have to build something new with your first piece being on the surface exactly where you want it.

Goons in discord corrected me, I was under the impression that you had to get on the surface to get oxygen access and build solar panels.

It's not glamorous, but it's home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah solar panels working as well as they do underwater's a bit of a gameplay conceit.

Incidentally, you don't really need to spend material on foundations, either: they're handy platforms and it can be good to have a bunch later on when you want to cover your base in glass and need some extra structural integrity, but at this stage you can skip them. The base struts will go straight into the seafloor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...I was not expecting these to be the source of my first death in Subnautica. But they seem to love congregating in front of my base and the acidic farts will kill you surprisingly fast if you're trying to cram a widget into your base in just the right spot.

One of my more ignominious video game deaths, all told.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cythereal posted:

...I was not expecting these to be the source of my first death in Subnautica. But they seem to love congregating in front of my base and the acidic farts will kill you surprisingly fast if you're trying to cram a widget into your base in just the right spot.

I’m pretty sure they perma die if you go :black101: on them with the knife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cythereal posted:

Don't worry, those guys are the most threatening fish you'll run into. It's smooth sailing from here.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't worry, those guys are the most threatening fish you'll run into. It's smooth sailing from here.

:laffo:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, you've got to watch out for those Stalkers too, they can give you a nasty nip

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cythereal posted:

You built your base in the exact same place I did. I think I gave up and moved the whole thing a few hours in because I was sick of acid farts 24/7

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YggiDee posted:

You built your base in the exact same place I did. I think I gave up and moved the whole thing a few hours in because I was sick of acid farts 24/7

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m pretty sure they perma die if you go :black101: on them with the knife.

I don't know if they perma die, but they sure have been staying away after I stabbed a few of them. :hist101:

On the one hand, I found the floating island and got a bunch of new blueprints and samples to grow plants in my shiny new growbeds.

On the other hand, I died from misadventure while mountaineering on the floating island and respawned back at my base. With my seamoth still at the floating island.

Had to swim all the way back, and this time brought materials to make a tiny outpost on the island as a save point.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I love watching LPs of new players but usually just up to the Sunbeam part.
Thats always my favorite.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just had my first drowning death, got lost in a cave system in a giant mushroom forest area while looking for wrecks since the AI said there were vehicle signatures in the area and my seamoth is running low on juice and I have no apparent way to refuel/recharge it yet. Fortunately I lost nothing but a sample of a pretty underwater bush I wanted to grow. I'll find it again.

Also then almost died after respawning because I thought planting tiger plant seeds in a growbed at my base would make them friendly defensive turrets. -_-

Pictured: Poor choices. Not pictured: acid fart manatees, which got the message.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 23, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The first time you die to the thing, let us know. You will know the thing I mean when it happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No spoilers or cutesy hints. Let him enjoy it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Really making me want to play again but I want to wait until they finish the engine port.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Really making me want to play again but I want to wait until they finish the engine port.

Yeah this is where I’m at.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zesty posted:

No spoilers or cutesy hints. Let him enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure I already know the thing from general internet osmosis, but of the three games I picked up from the Black Friday sale with leftover birthday Steam gift card money this one's grabbed me the most immediately.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its pretty great in VR if you ever get a chance to try it.
Changes the whole scope of things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Full disclosure: it’s not full VR, you won’t be reaching out and grabbing things with your VR hands or whatever, you’ll use a controller to move and interact with the world, and there is one quality of life mod you MUST install for VR, but it is absolutely worth it and makes everything feel so much more immense, so much deeper.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OgNar posted:

Its pretty great in VR if you ever get a chance to try it.
Changes the whole scope of things.

Might need a fresh change of pants playing this in VR

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't have VR, as it happens. Every VR system I've tried has made me intensely nauseous.

And yes, y'all, I know about the loving reapers, you can stop being cutesy about it. It's only the first thing half the people I know mentioned when I asked if Subnautica was any good, and most of the other half hinted at them like y'all have been doing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cythereal posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the thing from general internet osmosis, but of the three games I picked up from the Black Friday sale with leftover birthday Steam gift card money this one's grabbed me the most immediately.

It's super addictive if you're the kind of person to get into it. I've not really played virtually any dedicated survival or building games for a long time, but the moment I took the dip, I was totally hooked. I'm glad you're having fun.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

At the current sale price, you guys are doing a good job of bumping this game up my wishlist.

I’m really looking for something to get my teeth into for the long game, one of those things you pick up on and off over months between other stuff. Wanted to see if I could get back into No Mans Sky (maybe my 4th or 5th attempt at doing so) but I think this might be what I’m looking for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Good lord, if you wanna bum around building things in alien worlds the difference is gonna be night and day. NMS was a nothing-burger that sounded like it got a lovely survival game patched into it post release, you're in for a treat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cythereal posted:

I don't have VR, as it happens. Every VR system I've tried has made me intensely nauseous.

And yes, y'all, I know about the loving reapers, you can stop being cutesy about it. It's only the first thing half the people I know mentioned when I asked if Subnautica was any good, and most of the other half hinted at them like y'all have been doing.

Well, they should have ALL been hinting at it, rather than stating it outright. :colbert:

Also, while I get the issues people have with NMS, I absolutely love it. It's not the same experience whatsoever as a game like Subnautica, but it can hold its own.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bumhead posted:

At the current sale price, you guys are doing a good job of bumping this game up my wishlist.

I’m really looking for something to get my teeth into for the long game, one of those things you pick up on and off over months between other stuff. Wanted to see if I could get back into No Mans Sky (maybe my 4th or 5th attempt at doing so) but I think this might be what I’m looking for.

Based on this thread starting in 2016 and that all of us keep posting in it, it possibly is

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Based on this thread starting in 2016 and that all of us keep posting in it, it possibly is

A very good point, well made.

Sod it. Purchased.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

OG Subnautica is easily in my top 4 favorite games I've ever played and I don't really like 1st person games to begin with.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Anyone got an educated guess as to when the engine port might be ready? Also feeling like doing another playthrough but not sure whether it'd be better to hold off till the qol things etc are in.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cascade Failure posted:

Anyone got an educated guess as to when the engine port might be ready? Also feeling like doing another playthrough but not sure whether it'd be better to hold off till the qol things etc are in.

That's the thing, education won't make it any clearer. Technically a studio that size should be able to do it in a weekend just about.

It's much more likely that their single motivation to bother at all would be to make new sales - and that, logic assumed, would mean it'd coincide with a marketing campaign which then probably means it'd be at some imagined extra good time to make sales, ie a holiday season or with quarterly reporting synergy etc. And that's a different league of expensive than just the job itself.
Simple things get expensive, slow, and stupid when it has to appeal to corporate :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's the thing, education won't make it any clearer. Technically a studio that size should be able to do it in a weekend just about.

You can't even get a patch through console cert in a weekend.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you haven't lost a Seamoth inside of an island because you raced up to the island faster than it could pop in then you haven't really played Subnautica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

If you haven't lost a Seamoth inside of an island because you raced up to the island faster than it could pop in then you haven't really played Subnautica.

poo poo, guess I'm up for another playthrough then.