Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

I’m convinced a large part of it is simply asking who the Qatari leadership and elite views as it’s peers — their counterparts in the other gulf states — and whose opinions they care about (the same). Clearly they only care about the opinions of people in the broader western world to a point (to when their money would become reputationally toxic, which we are very far from- an article pointed out that the #10 landowner in the UK is Qatar, though I don’t know if that represented a singular entity or Qataris as a group).

njsykora posted:

London’s main industry is basically money laundering. And they don’t care about reputation so long as they have something everyone needs (oil). See the US basically turning a blind eye to everything the oil states do and then they still said “lol no” when Biden went to them begging to increase production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

This is specifically the thread for discussing this sort of thing, alongside funny videos of the qatari qops qonfiscating anything with too many colours

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think at some basic level Qatari rich people, more than the prestige and whatever, just want to party in the vvip room with Beckham and a few models.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tai posted:

Will be a good thing when people stop thinking discrimination is politics. Ah well

It is politics and so is international football

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

we're just only getting started with gently caress you money. this for example is supposedly going to cost 2-3 qatar world cups :v:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

joepinetree posted:

I think at some basic level Qatari rich people, more than the prestige and whatever, just want to party in the vvip room with Beckham and a few models.

All rich middle eastern rulers (and Russians) secretly want to be bigshots in London and New York. It's not enough that they're richer than God, they want the west to like them, or at the very least accept them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

halokiller posted:

we're just only getting started with gently caress you money. this for example is supposedly going to cost 2-3 qatar world cups :v:

But why

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because they can.

Because nobody will stop them.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

Maybe some hacky sack too. It's all in good fun.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

halokiller posted:

I hope they build it and an earthquake flattens it

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Even though I haven't watched a single match, this has been one of the more entertaining World Cups so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All I've done is watch England's goals against Iran so it's a huge success so far imo

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I just remembered that Italy didn't make it. lol. worth it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

I just remembered that Italy didn't make it. lol. worth it.

For the second time in a row. I assume that's why they went fash.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

AceOfFlames posted:

For the second time in a row. I assume that's why they went fash.

Didn't Leicester go fash because their football team sucks now?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Dutch person: lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/1595813276386041856

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure they'll listen.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goatface posted:

I'm sure they'll listen.

this time

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It’s against Iran so they’ll allow it simply due to gulf state rivalry and feuds. Any match not involving Iran or Saudi Arabia it’s forbidden

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s against Iran so they’ll allow it simply due to gulf state rivalry and feuds. Any match not involving Iran or Saudi Arabia it’s forbidden

I think Iran is pretty much the only gulf state friend Qatar has, no?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheRat posted:

there's been rapprochement. saudi quit trying to turn them into an island. that's progress!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don't bring me into this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its gonna be really funny when they all get barred from entry.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
wrong thread

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheRat posted:

The total opposite, isn’t it?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

At least a couple of years ago, the Saudis + UAE + Bahrain + Egypt were basically in a cold war against Qatar, with support from among others Infantino and Trump. One of the reasons the Saudis failed to buy Newcastle the first time was that they were running a massive piracy network in an attempt to kill off beIN sports who had the rights to the games. As far as I remember, Iran was the only neighbour who supported them.

It's probably a lot more complicated than this, but it's too late in the evening for me to properly read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_diplomatic_crisis

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Super rich people have no idea idea how to be cool. So when they see something that other people think is cool they just try to buy it. That’s how you end up with pop stars playing for crowds of people not paying attention to them out there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Gigi Galli posted:

Qatar and Iran are relatively much closer than Iran is to any other Gulf Sunni state, even if they're not best friends. One, they share control of a huge natural gas field in the Persian gulf, so basically both have to play nice to keep the money flowing, and two, Qatar sees a weaker Iran as leading to a stronger Saudi Arabia regionally, and prefers the two to be relatively balanced rather than be in a Saudi-dominated middle east.

The reasons for *that* are all of religious, personal, political, and economic, but fundamentally, Qatar thinks it can become a Switzerland-type mediator and financial hub state in a multipolar region, which it can't do if either Saudi or Iran are the only major player.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CubanMissile posted:

Super rich people have no idea idea how to be cool. So when they see something that other people think is cool they just try to buy it. That’s how you end up with pop stars playing for crowds of people not paying attention to them out there.

Aka, Formula 1 race weekends.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

The reasons for *that* are all of religious, personal, political, and economic, but fundamentally, Qatar thinks it can become a Switzerland-type mediator and financial hub state in a multipolar region, which it can't do if either Saudi or Iran are the only major player.

I thought Dubai had all that covered already though?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/DM_Harding/status/1596083457847095298

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tai posted:

I thought Dubai had all that covered already though?

Dubai's secretly completely broke from trying to expand into that too fast. Hell they had to name the tallest building in the world after the Emir of Abu Dhabi to get the loan to finish it.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Qatar will now allow rainbows at all games going forward.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/fifa-promises-rainbow-colours-allowed-135607897.html

Good thing we can be sure this won't be changed again arbitrarily and with no prior notice.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Rahu posted:

Qatar will now allow rainbows at all games going forward.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/fifa-promises-rainbow-colours-allowed-135607897.html

Good thing we can be sure this won't be changed again arbitrarily and with no prior notice.

congrats guys now you can go back to ignoring the piles of dead laborers and corrupt government contracts worth trillions and deals going on now that your easy outrage consumption needs are fulfilled.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

diversity wins :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

congrats guys now you can go back to ignoring the piles of dead laborers and corrupt government contracts worth trillions and deals going on now that your easy outrage consumption needs are fulfilled.
sure seems like you’ve made up a thing to be mad about because there’s been a whole bunch of coverage about migrant worker deaths

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Who are you talking to

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Who are you talking to

You guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
here in the thread for talking about dead labourers and corrupt government contracts we love to ignore dead labourers and corrupt government contracts