Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I could have gotten the bathroom done for 3832.25 , shoulda shopped around

I want my bathroom done, but some of the flat-owners here have paid over £12k!!! (Just to replace bath with shower and have a 'false wall'). I don't trust the local cowboys. I just want to replace bath with shower tray and screen, (I have this big pipe for the whole building running through so an enclosure won't work) and also a shatafer fitted. Also replace bath taps with one of those bar tap thingies so if there's a powercut I could still use the hot water tank as the electric shower wouldn't work. And that will probably involve some new tiling or faux tiling.

I was thinking more like £4k tops. Did you do it all yourself or did you use a company or get recommendations from a particular website?

Page snipe: Some of you might actually be interested in this one:

Flyup 417

https://flyupdownhill.co.uk/flyup-417-project-news/

About the 417 Project:

The 417 Project is the biggest privately owned mountain bike facility in the country offering a variety of riding disciplines within one venue.

The 100 acres of land will be home to three downhill tracks from blue to red/ black grade, and supported by the slick uplift service you’ve come to expect from Flyup. On top of that, we’ll have a national level 4X track and Dual Slalom run, which will be the country’s first MTB Drag Lift service. The Jump bag, freeride area and one acre dirt jump arena will no doubt be enough to keep every rider on their toes. For those seemingly more frequent rainy British days and dark winter nights, we have two separate indoor riding barns totalling over 1100 square metres. We’ll also have a café, bike shop and workshop on site to make sure you can keep fuelled and keep riding.

Even better news – the tracks are already under construction by Architrail – a leader in the trail building industry – who are working with us to produce some of the best tracks this country has ever seen.

Located near Cheltenham, we’re only four minutes from the M5 and an hour and half from London, making the 417 Project easy to access from all major cities.
We also wanted to really thank our very loyal and supportive customers, especially those who have already pre-purchased 417 items/day passes though the Indigogo campaign that ran last year. Your patience will definitely pay off and we will be in touch with you direct about your perks.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I want my bathroom done, but some of the flat-owners here have paid over £12k!!! (Just to replace bath with shower and have a 'false wall'). I don't trust the local cowboys. I just want to replace bath with shower tray and screen, (I have this big pipe for the whole building running through so an enclosure won't work) and also a shatafer fitted. Also replace bath taps with one of those bar tap thingies so if there's a powercut I could still use the hot water tank as the electric shower wouldn't work. And that will probably involve some new tiling or faux tiling.

I was thinking more like £4k tops. Did you do it all yourself or did you use a company or get recommendations from a particular website?

To be clear, I was taking the piss, but other people like Mebh can probably give genuine recommendations.

I think my bathroom cost like €5k but everything was subcontracted from my builder so wouldnt have had a clue where to start otherwise

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Page snipe: Some of you might actually be interested in this one:

Flyup 417

https://flyupdownhill.co.uk/flyup-417-project-news/

That sounds ace and is just up the road from me, I've forwarded it on to some friends who are into that sort of thing. Thanks!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
We've taken to avoiding putting the heating on and instead we're sitting every night with blankets and 4 odd layers of clothes using 4/5 candles to heat the room. It actually works reasonably well! We're only putting the radiators on to dry clothes when needed. Flat is getting crazy condensation and is going to get mouldy as gently caress lol but at least it's cheap!

Keep having to remind myself this is 2022 not 1885 but there we are. I certainly pray I live to see the Spring!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Use the solidarity fund rather than risk yourselves losing toes drat it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Seriously, this kind of thing is exactly what it was set up for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Layer up inside! Three layers at least for every body part.

Lower body:
Briefs/boxers whatever you prefer
Long johns
Trousers

Feet:
thin pair of socks (I wear two!)
thick pair of woolen oversocks
Slippers if you got 'em

Upper body:
T-shirt
Thin long armed shirt (can reverse this order)
Thick long armed sweater

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Tights - even if you are a manly man.

When I worked for the rail, a lot of the maintenance crews swore by tights when on a freezing cold night op. That was over 15 years ago now, so maybe times have changed. Maybe Bessant knows.

Think of them as 'hose' "At first, hose was worn almost exclusively by European noble men".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tights - even if you are a manly man.

When I worked for the rail, a lot of the maintenance crews swore by tights when on a freezing cold night op. That was over 15 years ago now, so maybe times have changed. Maybe Bessant knows.

Kind of - nowadays you'd just buy some base layers by Under Armour or similar rather than regular tights as they last a lot longer, plus you can get different types for hot and cold weather, but it's the same principle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Get to a certain size and all legwear are tights :dadjoke:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Uniqlo heattech leggings are the poo poo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Balaclava and mittens

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Related to warm clothing chat, I am already really hosed off with well-meaning co-workers on zoom meetings commenting on how bundled up in clothing layers or blankets some people on the meetings are this winter. It was bad enough last year but now it's great that you can work from a nice fancy conservatory or just wear a t-shirt in your warm home office but read the drat room and don't comment on someone else who's clearly wearing three jumpers or whatever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In our regular scheduled ACAB news:

https://twitter.com/melissasigodo/status/1595524056681439232?s=46&t=rsoa3oEqkzo2jj-qljUZwg

https://twitter.com/nattykasambala/status/1595705923112148992?s=46&t=rsoa3oEqkzo2jj-qljUZwg

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1595717100491767808?s=46&t=rsoa3oEqkzo2jj-qljUZwg

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

It's honestly manageable imho and we're making a choice to save money, we're not so completely destitute we couldn't begrudgingly put the heating on if we really needed to. Maybe that will change in the future but for now there are many people who need the solidarity fund a lot more than I do. I feel particularly bad for people with kids, it must be genuinely awful for families with really young ones especially.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Related to warm clothing chat, I am already really hosed off with well-meaning co-workers on zoom meetings commenting on how bundled up in clothing layers or blankets some people on the meetings are this winter.
What gets me is that cold is a health & safety issue for computer use. Too cold conditions exacerbate any joint problems and can cause a cascade of other issues as the body compensates for the pain. And you can't easily cover up your hands and wrists.

I can imagine there are a whole bunch of health & safety managers who would scream aloud if they could see the musculoskeletal problems stacking up on the average WFH laptop-on-the-sofa setup.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

It's honestly manageable imho and we're making a choice to save money, we're not so completely destitute we couldn't begrudgingly put the heating on if we really needed to. Maybe that will change in the future but for now there are many people who need the solidarity fund a lot more than I do. I feel particularly bad for people with kids, it must be genuinely awful for families with really young ones especially.

To battle your condensation open the windows for 10-20 minutes every day (mine is open for several hours around noon because i'm weird) and i second wearing three layers of clothing at least on legs & torso (longjohns & nice woolly carpet slippers are wonderful) i also swear by my beanie cap. :fluffy:

Since last week i have the heating on for 45min before i get up and before i go to bed (getting up to a cold house in the morning is a bit soul destroying tbh).

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The Problem (And Solution) Has Been Identified

https://twitter.com/Turkishdelite8/status/1595732106835017728

(to clarify, I think he's joking)

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 24, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

btw Bobby Deluxe did you get a ruling in the end?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothing through the post so far, still waiting. Communications from the DWP and HMCTS are usually delayed by about a week.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fingers crossed then

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A American friend once asked which various job offers he should ethically take with a degree in nuclear physics, as all the jobs in his area were research for the US military. I advised that he take the working on upgrading nuclear weapons, because then if his work ever is used everything is hosed before his personal contribution comes into play anyways.

Medical physics. Nuclear medicine is a big thing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I want my bathroom done...Did you do it all yourself or did you use a company or get recommendations from a particular website?

Do not use B&Q.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nothing through the post so far, still waiting. Communications from the DWP and HMCTS are usually delayed by about a week.

Not on the tribunal side of things so I can't speak on that but I'm currently finding is taking about 3 weeks for a court order to arrive after it's been sealed. I imagine the post strikes are going to push that back even further.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Jesus Christ
https://twitter.com/BBCWomansHour/status/1595479352673714176

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thank you for confirming the all-woman final was all women I guess

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just discovered the Sleaford Mods... i am content. :coolspot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMqEsXp96M

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sort of makes sense when you have gangs making and producing Drill song videos about whatever gang member they killed and such.
There's part of the London Police who can take down and ban songs from Youtube directly to stop them spreading.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

TERFs coordinated their extremely normal dogpile about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Sort of makes sense when you have gangs making and producing Drill song videos about whatever gang member they killed and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJoRLpDLLM

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I've been hearing some chatter about electric blankets. Apparently they're very comfortable, warm (obviously) and most importantly, far cheaper to run than the heating. Anyone had any experience with them?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've been hearing some chatter about electric blankets. Apparently they're very comfortable, warm (obviously) and most importantly, far cheaper to run than the heating. Anyone had any experience with them?

There are different approaches - I think the 'intended' use is put them under the sheet and leave them there. An Airbnb we stayed at not long ago had this, but many of the cheaper ones you can feel the round wires in them.

My wife just puts hers under the duvet to pre-warm the bed then usually takes it out when she gets in. Personally I don't like them. I'm the sort that wants a cold room and a reasonably thin duvet, but I could see that changing if I wasn't in a position to keep this place heated.

Edit: Actually there was one time I was loving glad of an electric blanket - when I woke up with a fever after my covid booster. It was a godsend.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah my partner has one and it's cosy af

Not sure how expensive it is to run tbh but probably less than firing up the heating

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hot water bottles are good.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I want my bathroom done. Did you do it all yourself or did you use a company or get recommendations from a particular website?

I used a combination of find a trade, rated people and recommendations from workers i trust.

It had mixed results and some stuff needed redoing, but overall came in way cheaper than using a big company like wren where my kitchen cost 18k by itself and was just using the same drat contractors.

I got a LOT of quotes and researched them all as the kitchen guy did a runner after having his son tile the place and they hooked up the oven with under rated cable. The electrician who i trust was ready to go find them with a hammer he was so angry.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 24, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Comrade Fakename posted:

They're great. I used one when I was living in a moldy, uninsulated house, below a comforter like someone said. Even with temps around 13, I still had it on the lowest setting.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Yes, love a heated blanket me. I don't use it in bed though cos I like to sleep in a cold room but for keeping yourself warm and cosy on the sofa they're great. Sucks when you have to get up though and my nose gets cold :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I used to use a small electric blanket down the end of the bed so my tootsies weren't snapping off mid-sleep. Basically in place of where I used to put a hot water bottle

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

perfect cut-off on my phone's alert "Michael Gove under pressure to explain his role in PP"

watersports goblin

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This subject makes me remember how long it took me to realise that Americans are referring to a duvet when they speak of a "comforter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The piss tape.