Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still waiting for some basic AI fixes but it's nice that they seem to be on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You have to upgrade your troops gradually, not all at once. Having to take armies off the line to retrain them is satisfactory imo

The problem is more than controlling armies is too complicated. Lot of clicking and scrolling to do very little. Also the ways generals split armies between each other is very clunky

If you had to cycle out armies and assign them to a retraining action in order to gain the new stats/remove a malus more quickly, that’d be pretty cool. The disconnect between the barracks PMs and each General’s pool of units makes that approach very fiddly. Bonus points if that retraining action meant travel time back home and forward to the front.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I doubt we will get AI fixes soon, that shits complicated and will require a lot of testing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

VostokProgram posted:

I doubt we will get AI fixes soon, that shits complicated and will require a lot of testing.

it’s either the biggest problem with the game or close to it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

quote:

we have changed the Legitimacy penalty from government size to one that actually represents ideological incoherence. Adding a party or Interest Group to government will now cause any conflicting ideologies (as measured by their stances on Laws) outside party boundaries to inflict a Legitimacy penalty. This encourages formation of government groups that are both strong and effective together.

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting, and it would also make ideology a stronger factor to consider.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder how exactly the game measures a party's stance on issues for the purpose of that calculation. Is it taking the "average" of the IGs in the party? Maybe weighed by relative strength of IGs in the party? Maybe just the ideologies of the leading IG in the party?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you had to cycle out armies and assign them to a retraining action in order to gain the new stats/remove a malus more quickly, that’d be pretty cool. The disconnect between the barracks PMs and each General’s pool of units makes that approach very fiddly. Bonus points if that retraining action meant travel time back home and forward to the front.

I like this, especially for base (and maybe artillery) PMs. Or--and this is HoIlike and as a rule I don't want HoIlike in my Vicky, but--if they must stay in place, dunk them down to zero supply (with attendant morale crisis) and apply a few months of morale recovery penalty if you don't want to idle them. The new kit works, but the doughboys and tommies and poilus are in absolutely no position to fight as their batteries get rolled away and replaced, and then a bit leery for a while of the idea of charging into where it's firing until they either see it work or get browbeaten into it.

Scaling how long this lasts on how integrated the changed part is is--months to learn how to operate as a motor rifles division, a week to deal with "recce reports are now delivered by a man with a biplane rather than a man with a Model T"--would be nice in a vacuum but implies the existence of a division designer. And I absolutely do not want a division designer.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

quote:

When battles start, units are now deprioritized to enter combat if they are injured or demoralized. What this means is that even if you end up with fewer than your full complement of battalions in a particular fight, the rest of them will make use of this short respite to recover for the next one.

This is honestly pretty big, I think there's currently a problem that the battalions at the top of a general's list are put into every battle first, so even if you have plenty of full strength units the ones actually fighting might consistently be heavily understrength.

Seem like good changes, though nothing earth-shaking.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I decided to start an Egypt game. I have come to the conclusion that iron tools aren't worth it and that waiting for steel is strictly superior, especially since lathes tend to get the tech spread initially. Get those and you can get mechanical tools while you build the iron/coal mines and the steel mill to jump right to steel tools

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Hellioning posted:

A lot of good changes (plus that forum post that says factories won't just constantly raise wages just because they're profitting a lot anymore). Nothing exciting but improvements are improvements.

The wage inflation change is huge, there are so many knock-on effects that it'll upend the early-midgame progression.

1. Your aristocrats and capitalists will pocket more wealth, keeping their political influence higher than the intelligentsia and labor unions until much later in the game.
2. Your labor class will have less wealth, meaning the flat per-capita taxes will hit them significantly harder than they currently do. I think having taxes maxed out will change from effectively doing nothing to keeping your lower class destitute.
3. Lowered wealth also cuts standard of living, lowering base literacy and slowing tech spread significantly.
4. Average wages will remain low, meaning that passing welfare laws won't bankrupt your country.
5. Investment pool money should go up as the elites hold more of the economy, but demand for mid-tier consumer goods will drop, I have no idea how this will play out in terms of investment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know why they decided to make IGs all stick to one party anyway. They should be split amongst parties in factions or whatever you want to call them.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still waiting for some basic AI fixes but it's nice that they seem to be on the right track.

Making the AI build more profitable buildings shouldn't be difficult, although it sure seems to be.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Waifu Radia posted:

not the entire period even though rubber in africa is one of the historical atrocities that is most sickening - by the 1910s or so rubber had really transitioned to coming from Brazil and some South American countries (on top of Indonesia where there was more complete census data), so i feel like there should be SOMETHING from there?

maybe not though. i'm not an expert i just hope some of you hard Census Knowers might be able to use this to find poo poo

agree

I am not even remotely an expert on this stuff, I'm just some jackass on an internet forum who wants to play econ/politics video games that are simulationist.

Brazilian rubber was, from my understanding, also basically harvested by slave labor.

edit: higher government wages now gives authority. Thank gently caress for that because I'm sick of not having any authority when I do things like give people rights (although if you think about if I'm the one giving them rights than they're not really rights, they're privileges).

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 24, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its almost 1930 in my Germany run. Its hilarious to me that each time the Nazi party is formed, the Petite Bourgeoisie are first and only people in line to buy what fascism is selling. Its not really a problem now because im like 4 decades into Automated Gay Luxury Communism, but small business owners are a real pain aren't they?

Also the US never got rid of slavery. Two New Africas have formed side by side, one "Radical" whatever that means because they both have legacy slavery. And Belgium has probably had its sixth or seventh communist civil war already.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

I know it's hard to make bugfixes/AI/performance sexy for a dev diary, I just want them to at least talk about how they're addressing it.

I'm happy for the other changes they've shown off in the post-release dev diaries, but they come across as out of tune with the community response. Even just a "hey we know xyz isn't working as intended and it's in our planning for 1.1" would give me some more confidence.

I've been enjoying my runs (where they're not killed by bugs) but I totally respect that people might be putting it back on the shelf at the moment

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how come the steam boiler type production methods don't require motors from the motor factory

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
for people better at this game than I am, how do you manage hostile landings.

HOI, obviously you'd have a bunch of ways to prepare, and ideally you'd try an uncontested landing and make a dash for a port. Here because generals just stand around in a probability cloud, I have to fight every landing and it's kind of a nightmare.

It's probably not a huge problem but right now me and Spain are just staring at each other because neither of us can actually land on our war objectives.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Narrator posted:

I'm happy for the other changes they've shown off in the post-release dev diaries, but they come across as out of tune with the community response. Even just a "hey we know xyz isn't working as intended and it's in our planning for 1.1" would give me some more confidence.

If changes to morale actually end battles more quickly, that would help a lot. Battles lasting a month is a good part of why war is so painful.

On the second page of the patch thread there's a dev response about multiple battles per front:

quote:

We're looking into it! The challenge with it is not technical per se, but rather an issue of what it would mean for the complexity of the frontline mechanics - for example, if your general advances with 90% of the troops on the front (woo!) but the enemy has two generals, one that's defending and one that's advancing, and now while you're fighting the big battle the other guy advances against your remaining 10% (boo!), and while that fight is going on his two allies on the same front advances and just easily marches in to occupy territory because there's nobody left to defend (nooo!), so in response you frantically hire several more generals, and before long you're saddled with dozens of boring randos leading your army instead of a handful of interesting ones, requiring dozens of clicks to manage... So this is the core issue, not enabling multiple battles per front. I can promise a thorough design investigation, and I hope we can find a good solution!

I see there is a disconnect there because generals aren't interesting, the only thing you need to care about is how many battalions they lead and whether they have an offensive/defensive trait. But even so, if they can't come up with a way to support multiple battles, they could at least split ridiculously large megafronts like Russia-Qing into smaller parallel fronts. Anyway, meanwhile:

Europe decided to fall apart in the 1920s. Note the very wise choices the AI made for carving off tiny slices of the Ottomans. Austria's capitalist revolt is led by a member of the Rural Folk IG. The British revolt succeeded and they are now a republic (I think this has happened very game I've played). France's revolt just led to the Orleans emperor being replaced by a Bourbon. A-H is currently falling apart as Hungary split off and the USA decided to join me (Russia) in backing the Ukrainian separatists just for fun.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

eXXon posted:

If changes to morale actually end battles more quickly, that would help a lot. Battles lasting a month is a good part of why war is so painful.

On the second page of the patch thread there's a dev response about multiple battles per front:

I see there is a disconnect there because generals aren't interesting, the only thing you need to care about is how many battalions they lead and whether they have an offensive/defensive trait. But even so, if they can't come up with a way to support multiple battles, they could at least split ridiculously large megafronts like Russia-Qing into smaller parallel fronts. Anyway, meanwhile:

Europe decided to fall apart in the 1920s. Note the very wise choices the AI made for carving off tiny slices of the Ottomans. Austria's capitalist revolt is led by a member of the Rural Folk IG. The British revolt succeeded and they are now a republic (I think this has happened very game I've played). France's revolt just led to the Orleans emperor being replaced by a Bourbon. A-H is currently falling apart as Hungary split off and the USA decided to join me (Russia) in backing the Ukrainian separatists just for fun.

That quote is very distressing because that’s explicitly one of the things everyone was talking about as the design came out. Jesus christ

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The worst part about it is that if as Qing or someone else who's supposed to try and eat Qing you thrust up through Manchuria and Okhotsk to the impassible provinces... your line with Irkutsk is the Perm front and your line with Kamchatka is also the same Perm front.

Well, no, the worst part is the implication that it won't split until you hit Perm, six oblasts and like 1/6 of the world away.

E: Now that I think of it, are front names based off HQs? Is "the nearest HQ is in Perm" actionable intelligence?

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 25, 2022

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I want a game like Victoria, but it's set on some Munitorum World and I'm producing bolt shells for the Imperial Guard. There's no chaos, no war. Just quotas.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

GreenMarine posted:

I want a game like Victoria, but it's set on some Munitorum World and I'm producing bolt shells for the Imperial Guard. There's no chaos, no war. Just quotas.

In the grim, dark future of the 41st Millennium, there are only quotas.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
That's not true, if you follow the tech tree to council republic and then get it through the political minigame you can have normas instead of quotas.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

consider: the pig iron pm for tools sucks

crude tools can be supported with imports as wood is common as poo poo
Steel is much more plentiful than iron

iron ends up being time consuming to expand and every mine supports only supports one level of factory compared to the 3 levels a single steel mill supports. Furthermore using pig iron tools slows down how quickly you can shift to iron framed buildings. The first tech goal for any country is to aim straight for mechanical tooling and use the time it takes to research it to lay down a steel mill with supporting mines as steel is vastly better than pig iron.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

counterpoint

i got pig iron, i got pig iron, i got alllll pig iron - leonard nimoy

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They should have pig farms in the game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well police are already covered under economic laws but that mechanic could afford to be expanded

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

pigs are livestock

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

lmao

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Agean90 posted:

consider: the pig iron pm for tools sucks

crude tools can be supported with imports as wood is common as poo poo
Steel is much more plentiful than iron

iron ends up being time consuming to expand and every mine supports only supports one level of factory compared to the 3 levels a single steel mill supports. Furthermore using pig iron tools slows down how quickly you can shift to iron framed buildings. The first tech goal for any country is to aim straight for mechanical tooling and use the time it takes to research it to lay down a steel mill with supporting mines as steel is vastly better than pig iron.

Can be useful if you're a larger country with population to spare/de-peasantify. Building up domestic iron production is useful for later PMs (chemical plants, supporting the steel industry, etc.).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Jazerus posted:

counterpoint

i got pig iron, i got pig iron, i got alllll pig iron - leonard nimoy

Beep... beep... beep... beep.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
*glass clink* wuh huh huh huh

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Finally got all 4 starting objective achievements. Now I never have to play this game until the end date again (until there's a new achievement for doing so). Hopefully the new patches make the 20th century less janky.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, having bought the game yesterday and played 3ish hours as Beligium and (an aborted) run as South Africa; am I wrong in thinking that the crux to your economy is how quickly you can get your construction industry up and going? Like that is the single most important thing you can do, aside from avoiding dying to an invasion correct?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, having bought the game yesterday and played 3ish hours as Beligium and (an aborted) run as South Africa; am I wrong in thinking that the crux to your economy is how quickly you can get your construction industry up and going? Like that is the single most important thing you can do, aside from avoiding dying to an invasion correct?

I dunno…you also have to fund construction somehow.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Had my best Sikh run so far. Managed to make it to 1907 before I hosed up and was annexed by a revolution. I took out most of the EIC, become #4 GP, with +100k economy. Not quite sure how to knock Britain down in order to be able to subjugate them, but I think I've got enough of a handle on the basics that it's a realistic goal.

The lumber -> iron -> cool -> steel -> tools cycle never seems to be happy, at least there doesn't seem to be a way to keep costs consistently down there. Centralizing all of my military in Punjab really helped with revolutions (they never had any troops). ... Until the end where I put some soldiers in Dehli and they revolted.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes and no, the economy is basically a series of feedback loops where expanding one thing constantly throws something else into shortage. While you should build construction when you can do so without causing a debt spiral you need to stop and grow the economy so you can afford the upkeep and keep materials prices down.

While construction is important, it shares importance with things like tools, weapons, ports, shipyards, and consumer goods

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Construction gets you all the other things faster though, so my personal rule of thumb is that if my budget is very far in the green at all then I'm not building fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

You definitely want to ramp it up but you should keep it in balance because each better production method will really eat into your available goods.