Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone happen to have any resources for learning top or jungle? I grew bored of Support and ended up not playing a whole lot last season and I kind of want to try out something new, but I'm not sure where to start as far as seriously learning either of those positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Does anyone happen to have any resources for learning top or jungle? I grew bored of Support and ended up not playing a whole lot last season and I kind of want to try out something new, but I'm not sure where to start as far as seriously learning either of those positions.

You might be better off playing top lane first to better understand solo lane states before you jungle. A lot of top is knowing how matchups play out. You can check out xpetu on YouTube for shen tutorials. What I’ve seen from him has been very informative though his does have clickbait stuff as well.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

jungle has been completely overhauled and there is a tank rework this preseason, making both of these roles a tad different these days lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Now seems as good a time as any to jump head first into jungling. I have been doing some light Nunu-ing after staying clear of jungling for like three years of playing, but the recent changes have been good to smoothbrains like myself.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

pog boyfriend posted:

jungle has been completely overhauled and there is a tank rework this preseason, making both of these roles a tad different these days lol

i kind of assumed jungle got hosed with, it is a new season after all. Is there a detailed write up of the changes? I googled "lol jungle rework" and got the lol pls article but there isn't really any concrete info in there.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Luna Was Here posted:

i kind of assumed jungle got hosed with, it is a new season after all. Is there a detailed write up of the changes? I googled "lol jungle rework" and got the lol pls article but there isn't really any concrete info in there.

You get a little buddy at the start of the game now instead of an item that levels up smite. It attacks camps with you and you feed it treats by clearing camps to level it and your smite up and at max level it gives a permanent buff depending on the pet. Because there's no smite item to give you a lot of sustain camps now give a little bit of health back after clearing each one. Also camps leash a lot quicker so you can't kite much or do double camps until really late in the game, and there's a buff on your opponents camps so they take less damage and make it harder to counterjungle. You get a treat passively like once a minute but falling behind on camps before you level your pet can be pretty bad so it's still worth doing when you can.

Because a lot of your clearing power is tied to your buddy and some changes to jungle health, clear speed is a bit more standardized and generally you get a little lower on your first clear. On the opposite side though when your pet starts getting some treats it will basically just clear the jungle for you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-12-22-notes/

The TLDR is that:
- All camps deal % damage now, have more HP, junglers deal 20% more damage to their own camps, junglers heal from all camps now
- Counterjungling/Proxy farming is less rewarding
- Junglers have pets which help clear camps & grant the jungler a permanent buff when upgraded
- Red buddy: super Stormrazor, Blue buddy: 45% decaying speed when entering a bush, Green buddy: super Mountain soul
- When upgraded the jungler takes 30% less damage from camps when 2 allies are nearby (encourages jungler to tank Nashor/Dragon)
- Smite reaches 1200 true damage now
- Harder to double camp
- denying a camp by leaving 1 small monster no longer possible
- Krugs worse to steal for top laners
- Team vote on taking objectives (most people ignore these)
- Recommended pathing & skilling (varying levels of usefulness)
- First Rift Herald deals less damage

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

verbal enema posted:

what were the sion and talon bugs?

Hellioning posted:

Talon's old E was a targetted teleport that was supposed to increase his damage done to the target for three seconds after the teleport, but it was bugged so it didn't.

more importantly, the funny part was that the ability was actually multiplying damage reports (so if you jump on a guy and hit him for 100 normally and the amp was 30% it would say you did 130 damage in a pop up) but not actually subtracting that much health from the opponent, and it was bugged for years. which is interesting because there are so many times where you can say, pretty definitively, that you've got lethal on someone (just see how often you can ignite someone and kill them with the last tick) and yet nobody intuited that the numbers didnt work

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Veev posted:

Jungle rework words

Neurolimal posted:

More jungle rework words

Could be I've got a whole misread on this but all of this feels incredibly arbitrary change for the sake of change. Granted it's all on par for their usual jungle screwery. Is the sum effect of all of these changes that early invades aren't really a thing anymore and tank junglers are better than ever?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Could be I've got a whole misread on this but all of this feels incredibly arbitrary change for the sake of change. Granted it's all on par for their usual jungle screwery. Is the sum effect of all of these changes that early invades aren't really a thing anymore and tank junglers are better than ever?

The intention behind the changes is to lower the burden of knowledge on new junglers and make it easier for autofilled junglers to be able to get by without having such a massive gap between them and someone who knows what they're doing. Fewer early invades means that junglers can (mostly) rely on the first few minutes playing out as expected, and the pets allow both some additional customization (no more binary blue/red smite), as well as providing clearer guidance for the aforementioned new junglers by giving a firm goal to work towards. I suspect the pets are also there to help give some extra statistical punch to junglers going into the midgame, since that's when camps tend to start getting eaten regularly by laners, but that's harder to quantify.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Yeah they do this to the jungle every season, and support almost as often. It's really jarring for me when I play very sporadically, as the game is often completely different every time I come back to it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

basically nothing changed. u do the camps and they give u gold and experience and you try to gank. the tooltip is 500% longer

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

your legacy skill as a jungler is still useful but counterjungling has been harshly nerfed as enemy camps are now quite a bit harder to clear and now theres pokemon

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think the main goal was mostly to squash the skill gap for your first few clears between an experienced jungler and a new one, hence removing the double camp stuff and showing the pathing

Second goal was to make it so a better jungler doesn't just absolutely destroy a worse jungler as easily with counter jungling to keep them entirely starved and out of the game

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
me no like, heartstone, the "tank" item. me have bad time when everyone picks that item up. me hit yes on all the objective votes even when there's no way to do it because voting is fun

For real tho new junglers just have to play speed junglers like speedwick, speecarim and speedmus. That's it. Have fun going a to b, quick clears and insta ganks.
No need to remove a playstyle

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Did they ever introduce any game mode for people that aren't ultra competitive grognards?

I have a lull in games i'm looking forward to and am considering getting back into some casual League?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The unfortunate problem with for fun casual league is that the league playerbase is like 75% either ultra competitive grognards or people who want to be ultra competitive grognards.

There are for fun game modes (basically all my time in League that isn't in a goon party is done in all random all mid, there are rotating for fun modes) but even those modes tend to get people who try to optimize them.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So basically no.

Game is still in "I wanna be the next faker mode"

What a shame.

Ok welp, I tried asking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
People are going to try to win in any game they play

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Neurolimal posted:

People are going to try to win in any game they play

Are you the the kinda guy who justifies reporting people in ARAM for feeding?

Because that's what I meant in my initial post

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes people should be reported for inting in game modes. Even the more relaxed ones because you’re just making everyone else miserable for no reason. If you’re asking “is there a mode I’m safe to grief in” which seems to be the case then no.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

njsykora posted:

Yes people should be reported for inting in game modes. Even the more relaxed ones because you’re just making everyone else miserable for no reason. If you’re asking “is there a mode I’m safe to grief in” which seems to be the case then no.

I did not mention intentional feeding i my post lol.

If you're new and bad you're gonna die.
And you people are already mentioning "griefing" .
Ok I got more than my answer
Anyone who comes in and asks "hey is there a more casual mode to play" and I get accused of griefing.

loving hell you people are sure something else.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The answer is definitely ARAM (where I’ve been for a couple years now, because I enjoy low stakes play) but yeah if you find that too grognard/tryhard/whatever, good luck, I suggest not playing team based PvP games.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

You're flipping out because of a difference in definitions mate, calm down. 'feeding' is understood by most people I know as doing so intentionally, since otherwise it's just called having a bad game. So yeah, if you ask 'what game mode can I feed in' that obviously also carries the implication that you intend to do so. What you're actually asking is 'is there a game mode people won't flip out at me if I die sometimes because I'm bad' which, yeah, ARAM and the fun game modes, up to a point. This is a competitive game though, so most people will obviously be trying to win and improve..? That's.. The point of the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

like just get 4 other people together who are OK with goofing around and go into normals or customs with no expectation of winning. make the fun you want to see in this dreary old game.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

like just get 4 other people together who are OK with goofing around and go into normals or customs with no expectation of winning. make the fun you want to see in this dreary old game.
I tried asking some IRL friends but they won't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

And I didn't find ARAMS to be particularly good either great either..... because nobody wants to PLAY the bloody things.
Every match ends in a 10 min surrender.
"oh they got heals, better surrender"
"oh they got poke better surrender"
"oh they won first fight, better afk and let them win"

This is actually the reason for my first post.
I remember arams being the "lol whatever" game mode, but like, in the past, at least people would actually play them till the end even if you were losing.
Now i'm seing a non stop barrage of "go next go next".
Are people using these to grind levels or season pass rewards or what?

EDIT: I unironically want to just lose my first 10 games without feeding just so I can drop mmr to where I'm at a level where people actually play ARAMS till the end.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You could try TFT?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sample_text posted:

And I didn't find ARAMS to be particularly good either great either..... because nobody wants to PLAY the bloody things.

God how I wish this was true. My ARAM experience is that every game lasts 25 minutes except for the ones that last 15 minutes because we're losing 20-5 after 8 minutes but everyone immediately mashes No whenever the surrender options pops up because I guess it builds character to slam your balls in the car door over and over

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Thats right, it does

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phenotype posted:

God how I wish this was true. My ARAM experience is that every game lasts 25 minutes except for the ones that last 15 minutes because we're losing 20-5 after 8 minutes but everyone immediately mashes No whenever the surrender options pops up because I guess it builds character to slam your balls in the car door over and over

FFing in ARAM is cowardly.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Yeah in my experience it's very rare to see an early surrender even with massive comp differences

Heartsteel is getting pretty dumb though, just build it on anyone(not adc)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ironically, the set in stone lane positions were supposed to help new players know where to go but if you're really new and dont know, you'll get yelled at for not knowing. League was best in the very early days when no one knew what the gently caress to do.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Miftan posted:

You're flipping out because of a difference in definitions mate, calm down. 'feeding' is understood by most people I know as doing so intentionally, since otherwise it's just called having a bad game. So yeah, if you ask 'what game mode can I feed in' that obviously also carries the implication that you intend to do so. What you're actually asking is 'is there a game mode people won't flip out at me if I die sometimes because I'm bad' which, yeah, ARAM and the fun game modes, up to a point. This is a competitive game though, so most people will obviously be trying to win and improve..? That's.. The point of the game.

Somewhere along the line feeding slipped to just meaning dying a lot, and so intentional feeding became the term used in reports, now simply truncated down to "inting"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sample_text posted:

I tried asking some IRL friends but they won't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

This is actually the reason for my first post.
I remember arams being the "lol whatever" game mode, but like, in the past, at least people would actually play them till the end even if you were losing.
Now i'm seing a non stop barrage of "go next go next".
Are people using these to grind levels or season pass rewards or what?

EDIT: I unironically want to just lose my first 10 games without feeding just so I can drop mmr to where I'm at a level where people actually play ARAMS till the end.

You have this backwards, surrendering will drop your MMR and the low mmr people are the ones most likely to give up ARAM at the first sign of friction/difficulty. If you want people who will play ARAM games to the end, you want midrange MMR, not low.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Never surrender, always fight to the bitter end out of spite if nothing else. I also preemptively report every player. Let God sort them out.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sample_text posted:

Just /mute all and vote no, be the change you want to see in the world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SirSamVimes posted:

FFing in ARAM is cowardly.

Never give up never surrender, especially if the enemy team are being dicks and trying to showboat because they'll tilt like motherfuckers if you can win a fight against them because they're trying to pad their ARAM KDAs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I never surrender in ARAM because I enjoy playing ARAM even in tough matchups.

Well, to be accurate, sometimes I surrender for the double explosion but that doesn't count.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sample_text posted:

I did not mention intentional feeding i my post lol.

If you're new and bad you're gonna die.
And you people are already mentioning "griefing" .
Ok I got more than my answer
Anyone who comes in and asks "hey is there a more casual mode to play" and I get accused of griefing.

loving hell you people are sure something else.

the report category for feeding is explicitly for intentional feeding. if you are reporting someone for feeding you are explictly saying you think it is intentional. often people are wrong about that, but reporting for feeding is reporting for intentional feeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

Never give up never surrender, especially if the enemy team are being dicks and trying to showboat because they'll tilt like motherfuckers if you can win a fight against them because they're trying to pad their ARAM KDAs.

if the enemy team are being dicks it makes more sense to surrender. rob them of their fun