Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Updog Scully posted:

She looks nice, but the sort of nice that makes for a good Blue Peter presenter or pantomime protagonist. You know, like if you saw her teaching in your kid's classroom you'd be contented.

I feel like I’m having a stroke trying to figure out what this post means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Still catching up on the last of Chibnall Who.

Eve of the Daleks was decent enough. Would have been nice if the Daleks had better aim and if the they explained how they knew the timeloop would end at midnight but those are pretty small criticisms that don't seriously undermine what was otherwise one of the best episodes of Chibnall's run.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

She has never known a world without Doctor Who on TV.

This hasn't happened for a Companion since Sophie Aldred. Arguably, it's only happened for her, Bonnie Langford, Sarah Sutton, Matthew Waterhouse, maybe Nicola Bryant depending on her memories of watching tv as a toddler.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

She has never known a world without Doctor Who on TV.

Well look at that, we really did build a better future for the next generation :unsmith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that actually gives me the warm fuzzies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Like father in law, like son in law

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"gently caress's sake, dad, just cos granddad did this to you…"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/DrMatthewSweet/status/1594610858457538560?t=3O3HVIisyws2pQKHFaFLuQ&s=19

They were both at the Scottish baftas. I love this photo so much. :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh, two hearts and a ruby. Here I was thinking it was a deck of cards thing.

How's the whole "two young ppl traveling the universe' gonna work out when one of them is 800 years old or whatever?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

How's the whole "two young ppl traveling the universe' gonna work out when one of them is 800 years old or whatever?

Probably the same way it happened the last few times they've gone to that well. Hopefully with less "will they/won't they?" romantic energy, but I don't know if the modern show can move away from that approach entirely based on fan response (people dropped off hard when the Capaldi era let that poo poo go, and then fans willed the whole Thirteen+Yaz thing into existence in the last few episodes despite neither character remotely hinting at that in the first two seasons).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m in the process of decluttering/packing to move home and I discovered a model which for a number of years I believed I had given away to a charity shop or lost.

It’s a talking Dalek produced by Product Enterprise in the very early 00s and was purchased 2002/2003. The oval plate sitting between the gun boxes serves as the button and when pushed it barks some suitably angry phrases and the lights on the dome flash in time.

While it does have a number of inaccuracies mainly due to incorporating design elements from different designs over the course of the show, the dimensions and proportions are spot on. They were sold in a variety of colours representing different designs through the era, though there was only one mould, so despite having the colours of an Imperial Dalek, it hasn’t got any of the unique design elements.

Unfortunately, mine has seen better days. The white elements are badly discoloured and this is especially bad on the rear shoulders and dome. The dome lights were originally clear.

The gold looks to be painted on and may have also suffered from UV damage as well as coming off. The skirt hemispheres and fender have suffered especially badly.

The right gun box is cracked and slightly dented.

The battery compartment has at some point had a battery leak and the contacts badly corroded.

This clearly won’t do, and as I’ve gotten rather good at miniature painting over the years I’m going to disassemble, strip, repair and repaint it and have it looking better than it was when new. I’ve decided it’s going to be one of the following schemes, and I’d like to see which one people think I should go for.

• Drone, silver and blue - The Chase.
  • Taskforce Commander, black and blue - The Chase.
  • Emperor’s Guard, silver and blue with black dome - The Evil of the Daleks.
  • Drone, dark grey and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Earth Controller, gold and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Drone, silver and black - Death to the Daleks.
  • Necros, white and gold - Revelation of the Daleks.

I won’t be starting until we’ve settled into our new place so have a bit of time to decide, as well as ensuring I can dismantle it properly first. Despite the state it’s in it is still in better condition than the props in Destiny of the Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

How's the whole "two young ppl traveling the universe' gonna work out when one of them is 2500 years old or whatever?

Well based on season 5 which is the last time that happened..... it's gonna be great!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Well based on season 5 which is the last time that happened..... it's gonna be great!

perhaps even, the trip of a lifetime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So loving good, goddamn.

Weird thing is though it was posted 8 years ago and says it was to mark the 10th anniversary, but 2005 was only 7 years ag-:gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

So loving good, goddamn.

Weird thing is though it was posted 8 years ago and says it was to mark the 10th anniversary, but 2005 was only 7 years ag-:gonk:

i remember seeing that for the first time and just losing my goddamned mind. A lifetime ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

WTF?! Doctor Who in a...leather jacket? And why does he have to be so young? Same as the TV movie, just go for some young guy, we'll never see a distinguished gentleman with white hair again, I suppose! Doctor Who more like Doctor Was!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m in the process of decluttering/packing to move home and I discovered a model which for a number of years I believed I had given away to a charity shop or lost.

It’s a talking Dalek produced by Product Enterprise in the very early 00s and was purchased 2002/2003. The oval plate sitting between the gun boxes serves as the button and when pushed it barks some suitably angry phrases and the lights on the dome flash in time.

While it does have a number of inaccuracies mainly due to incorporating design elements from different designs over the course of the show, the dimensions and proportions are spot on. They were sold in a variety of colours representing different designs through the era, though there was only one mould, so despite having the colours of an Imperial Dalek, it hasn’t got any of the unique design elements.

Unfortunately, mine has seen better days. The white elements are badly discoloured and this is especially bad on the rear shoulders and dome. The dome lights were originally clear.

The gold looks to be painted on and may have also suffered from UV damage as well as coming off. The skirt hemispheres and fender have suffered especially badly.

The right gun box is cracked and slightly dented.

The battery compartment has at some point had a battery leak and the contacts badly corroded.

This clearly won’t do, and as I’ve gotten rather good at miniature painting over the years I’m going to disassemble, strip, repair and repaint it and have it looking better than it was when new. I’ve decided it’s going to be one of the following schemes, and I’d like to see which one people think I should go for.

I won’t be starting until we’ve settled into our new place so have a bit of time to decide, as well as ensuring I can dismantle it properly first. Despite the state it’s in it is still in better condition than the props in Destiny of the Daleks.

Chase drone, classic all the way.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well based on season 5 which is the last time that happened..... it's gonna be fantastic!

FTFY

I fell off Who hard during Smith's run, now that RTD's back in charge I'm definitely going to give it a look again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Emperor's Guards are pretty slick

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/status/1594354632054054912

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor: Please state the nature of the medical emergency.
Doctor: Well it's a.... it's a thing.
Doctor: A.... "thing"
Doctor: Yes, a... it's a bad thing. It's complicated.
Doctor: You activated a medical hologram and the best you can come up with is that it's "a thing". Are you stupid?
Doctor: My species are considered probably the smartest in the universe!
Doctor: And you're representing them? What, did the rest all die?
Doctor (clucking tongue): Well.... that's a.....
Doctor: A thing?
Doctor: It's a thing, yes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/status/1594835236768342016?s=20&t=XJqiteKDxScxu8lkL_FJrw

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He may be A Doctor, but they're THE Doctor. The definite article, one might say

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: You activated a medical hologram and the best you can come up with is that it's "a thing". Are you stupid?

:perfect:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Jerusalem posted:

I generally can't abide crossover fanfiction, but this one was :perfect:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1595100273156194304

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1595341407908253696

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

A diamond. Of course.

RTD’s semiotics game on point lately.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish announced an eight story miniseries to celebrate next year's anniversary! Starring Tom, Peter, Colin, Syl, Paul, Christopher, and David!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1595431982661500939?t=sh8o6rOIHPRRuU90qrFnxw&s=19

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1595420164719247360?t=JUM5H3a7YAlunq5WC31OxQ&s=19

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 23, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

There's only 12 possibilities and yet I have no idea who that person on the right is supposed to be. Top 3 guesses are McCoy, Tennant, and McGann. Hell, young John Hurt, I dunno.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Action Figure David Tennant the Second looks so depressed to be here.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm sure 14's suit pattern will be much more subtle than that, but drat I wish it was that 1:1 on the show. :swoon:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Emperor’s Guard, all the way. Such a cool colour scheme.

On another note, I was reading somewhere that before the announcement that RTD was coming back and while the Power of the Doctor was being written, the future of the show was in serious doubt - like, 1987-style hiatus doubt. This is why the episode has so many call-backs and stuff. Can anyone confirm?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF revealed the new logo on their covers

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1595779493288972288?s=20&t=DpXyVjnYBVSJmgB72FDIYA

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Time to rerelease All The Things with the new logo I guess

Still, it's nice of the artists to show off the textless versions in case you want to, say, have the logo match the Doctor in the story or something

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly, BBC press office says the specials will start airing in November next year, and Millie Gibson will make her debut ‘during the festive season’.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly, BBC press office says the specials will start airing in November next year, and Millie Gibson will make her debut ‘during the festive season’.
So how long has it been since we got a complete season in one year now?

I just want more is all. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Five years of Jodie yet it feels like we barely know her at all

:sigh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

Five years of Jodie yet it feels like we barely know her at all

:sigh:

31 episodes doesn't feel like a lot, especially if those episodes don't have many moments in them worth remembering.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ecclestone got 13 and we had a feeling for who he was right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

Ecclestone got 13 and we had a feeling for who he was right away.

:hmmyes:

You never forget your first

Bit of a shame all the background material that's come out for that era kinda sours it though, but he still set a solid foundation Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi built on