Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Best Friends posted:

so you’re completely socially isolated from all liberals for the past nine months then?

That's effectively never talking to anyone in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
growing increasingly isolated

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

What does nafo mean

oh boy. uhh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Has zelensky acquired an American Elon Musk equivalent fan base yet? Who want to gently caress him?

More they want him to gently caress their wives but yeah

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I don't really talk to very many capital L liberals. All my coworkers and colleagues know that if we ever say anything about politics we're in trouble

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Has zelensky acquired an American Elon Musk equivalent fan base yet? Who want to gently caress him?

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/zelensky-manliness-revives-western-ideal
https://3plusinternational.com/2022/03/zelensky-popularising-a-new-kind-of-masculinity/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin..._source=twitter

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Slavvy posted:

More they want him to gently caress their wives but yeah

That's very strange but not wholly unexpected

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NeatHeteroDude posted:

What does nafo mean

its the north american f word organization

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its membners include glenn greenwald and all the moderators

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

North Atlantic fuckman onanists

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

What does nafo mean

north atlantic fellas organization
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1563851548643426304

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

My god

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://thegrayzone.com/2022/10/20/ukraine-nafo-troll-war-criminals/

here's a more serious article about them

the tldr; is it's a reddit rear end war meme propaganda hashtag, but if you peel back the layers you pretty quickly find nazis and money funnels to the hard right, banderites, etc

speng31b has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Nov 24, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if youve seen people pushing for donations to "st javelin" theyre also a nafo affiliated money funnel to banderites. they like to pretend they're doing goofy nonlethal aid, but their cash goes straight to the far right to prop up the purges

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Purges of orcs hell yeah usa usa

speng31b
May 8, 2010

another good more serious article about nafo

https://mossrobeson.medium.com/ukes-kooks-spooks-nafo-735b66e48508

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

speng31b posted:

the tldr; is it's a reddit rear end war meme propaganda hashtag, but if you peel back the layers you pretty quickly find literal nazis and money funnels to the hard right, banderites, etc

Somewhere there is a CIA memo that asks the big question about how their influence operations should act. It uses a slur that starts with r.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the most disturbing thing to me, an american, is how readily our media ecosystem slurped up uncritical pro-ukraine propaganda and how readily it was reflected on the something awful forums. I don't even want to kiss and hug vladimir putin just weirded out as hell that we're living through 2003 "WE MUST LIBERATE IRAQ BECAUSE OF 9/11" tier stuff all over again. you'd think a "representative" democracy would AT LEAST want to inform its citizens about the potential consequences of fighting a syria style proxy war right on the border of russia but no can do slava ukraini all my himars to you goonsire ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Marzzle posted:

the most disturbing thing to me, an american, is how readily our media ecosystem slurped up uncritical pro-ukraine propaganda and how readily it was reflected on the something awful forums. I don't even want to kiss and hug vladimir putin just weirded out as hell that we're living through 2003 "WE MUST LIBERATE IRAQ BECAUSE OF 9/11" tier stuff all over again. you'd think a "representative" democracy would AT LEAST want to inform its citizens about the potential consequences of fighting a syria style proxy war right on the border of russia but no can do slava ukraini all my himars to you goonsire ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

yeah, ive thought about that a fair amount and how readily people gobbled up the line that anything counter to good guy / bad guy was a whataboutism.

i think it's that american liberals are extremely happy to have the opportunity to point the finger at someone else for the sins they've lived their whole lives watching america commit in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

its a form of self flagellation where they can project their own guilt onto Russia, unleash their innate bloodthirst and feel super self righteous about it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

speng31b posted:

if youve seen people pushing for donations to "st javelin" theyre also a nafo affiliated money funnel to banderites. they like to pretend they're doing goofy nonlethal aid, but their cash goes straight to the far right to prop up the purges

I thought St Javelin gave their money to the Georgian Legion, which based off the name I presumed was a different kind of far right awful than the Bandera boys.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't he be the first white guy ever were this to happen

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ukraine Railways is taking unusually long to get back on schedule after the latest round of attacks to the grid, I think Ukraine's electricity system is basically at the tipping point. In previous attacks typically only a few trains would be delayed by more than an hour. This time it seems like practically every route had long delays, several trains were cancelled, and even a day later they're experiencing severe disruption.

Укрзалізниця posted:

❗️Update: as of 8:40 p.m., 28 trains are running with delays of more than an hour, 15 direct trains are running with a delay of up to an hour, the rest are running on schedule.

As of now, the following trains are departing with the biggest delays:

🚆#7/8 Kharkiv — Odesa (+11 h 52 min);
🚆#191/192 Odesa — Kramatorsk (+ 11 h 49 min);
🚆#91/92 Odesa — Kharkiv (+ 11 h 49 min);
🚆#61/62 Kharkiv — Odesa (+ 11 h 29 min);
🚆#85/86 Zaporizhia — Lviv (+ 11 h 21 min).

We apologize for this inconvenience and continue to do everything to reduce the backlog of trains from the schedule.
(from t.me/UkrzalInfo/3603, via tgsa)

I'm interested in what the military impacts will be. According to pro-Russian accounts the AFU regularly attaches military cars onto intercity trains, so I don't think this is something that will only affect civilians (moreover, in previous attacks Ukraine Railways has said they had pulled reserve diesel locomotives to keep trains from being cancelled, which would be really weird if military trains were being disrupted as well).

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weka posted:

I thought St Javelin gave their money to the Georgian Legion, which based off the name I presumed was a different kind of far right awful than the Bandera boys.

they have run several campaigns, the recent "winter coats" and a number of their others are a front for banderites.

https colon slash slash www dot ukrainianworldcongress dot org/uwc-is-calling-on-the-world-to-donate-to-ukrainian-defenders-winter-needs/

i explained it in more detail in the old thread, but suffice to say UWC is part of the Canadian diaspora banderasphere

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

american journalism

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

update

https://twitter.com/AlJazeera/status/1595779344198246401

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

speng31b posted:

the tldr; is it's a reddit rear end war meme propaganda hashtag, but if you peel back the layers you pretty quickly find nazis and money funnels to the hard right, banderites, etc

I'll check out the articles, and I appreciate you explaining it. One of the guys that got permad a while ago had a twitter account he would post all the time that was nothing but NAFO poo poo with the dumb little doge, st javelin, HIMARS, etc. His poo poo was all about tweeting chief keef gifs in response to nms videos of Russians being killed.

Another hit from him was the after the carbombing of that guy's daughter(?), to which he tweeted: "probably the first time she's ever been hot in her life."

Unsurprisingly his most consistent type of tweet besides celebrating death was calling female journalists and politicians slurs, skanks, or whores. He seriously did this like 5 times a day every time one of them posting anything even remotely critical of the u.s. or Ukraine. Iirc he was a vet too lol

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Also was the Russian missile to Poland thing fake or wrong?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont care tbh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It was probably made in Russia (and then sold to Ukraine prewar)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Another hit from him was the after the carbombing of that guy's daughter(?), to which he tweeted: "probably the first time she's ever been hot in her life.

jfc

yeah i think you recall the stuff BJG got tweeted from nafo was insanely bad

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

it was probably a Ukrainian AA missile, technically soviet manufactured not Russian

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

dont care tbh

this was funny though

Al Jazeera posted:

One sentence reads: “At the time of their arrest, the Ukrainians made no resistance.” Such a phrase would not have escaped our copy editors.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

greenwald posters posting r slur outside of their cage

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

NeatHeteroDude posted:

just based on the type of missiles (from the photographs of the shrapnel located at the site of the explosion) and the location of the grain silo it seems almost certain that the missiles were fired by Ukrainian anti air defenses in an attempt to interfere with a much longer range incoming Russian missile.

The reason people are suggesting that is because it is standard practice for this type of air defenses to fire two missiles (the chance of hitting your target increases significantly) so the result makes sense from the perspective of two missiles fired in parallel that were meant to intercept another missile at a certain point but missed. If the missiles were fired by Russia but ended up going off target it is incredibly unlikely that both "defective" missiles would land in the same spot. Furthermore these types of missiles have very short ranges and the point at which they landed in Poland is out of range from basically anywhere the Russians could have conceivably fired them from.

**The most pathetic display of obstinacy from Ukraine has since manifested where their own allies are getting annoyed because Ukraine is refusing to acknowledge that it was their missile. Ukraine's allies are telling them "We know it was you, nobody cares about 2 dead farmers in a grain silo in Poland, why aren't you even just admitting it privately to us?". In my opinion Ukraine knows they would face 0 backlash from admitting the truth because the entirety of the "western world" is ride or die with them, but they have spent almost a year now creating this laughable picture of the Ukrainian super man and a military with future technology that never makes mistakes and they are afraid that the bubble will pop if people start discussing how their equipment is largely ineffective at doing the things they claim it can do and their troops are half trained conscripts and uncontrollable western mercenaries at this point.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

greenwald posters posting r slur outside of their cage

Lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the way they managed to be not technically wrong on that one was by saying that since the S300 is a soviet system it was strictly speaking a russian missile, but everything points towards the ukrainians being the ones to actually fire it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i, for my part, have no idea where the S300 was designed or manufactured, so i'm not making any claims as to that, but it was the start of the polish climb-down over the issue.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

the way they managed to be not technically wrong on that one was by saying that since the S300 is a soviet system it was strictly speaking a russian missile, but everything points towards the ukrainians being the ones to actually fire it.

it was a russian missile in the same sense as russian attacks are targeting the russian energy grid

soviet stuff all over

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

speng31b posted:

it was a russian missile in the same sense as russian attacks are targeting the russian energy grid

yes, it's insultingly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

speng31b posted:

soviet stuff all over

but Russian weapons are also defending the Ukrainian energy grid! so it's not all bad!

Russia: a land of contrasts