Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

ShopGoodwill.com used to regularly have gaylords(48" x 42" x 36" tall box on a pallet) of guitars up for auction. Usually 20-30 guitars, selling for $300-400 on most of them. Looks like they're putting those into the stores now. Almost always garbage, but at $15-20 each there was still profit to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/Bose/videos/1534776763619492

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

jeez slow down there Satch

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Thinking about people tossing out and giving away instruments, I always ponder how many Minimoogs and vintage synths and Hammond B3s and Leslie speakers were just straight up thrown in the garbage in the 80s and 90s.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Learning about gaylord boxes has been the highlight of my day. Thank you.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

I called the police immediately

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think something might be wrong with your guitar :thunk:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Me: headless guitar les Paul

AI image generator:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's the stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure I mean why the hell not. One of the Bobs from Devo did some hosed up LP body modifications. And then there was Mark's guitar from the early days...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that is either the most or least comfortable guitar ever made

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I was thinking that big cutout would be for ok setting it on your leg but then saw the cable and groaned

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?
this is pure refined stupid. i recently went thru a divorce.. during the breakup i hid my most prized possessions so she couldnt destroy them.. she already wrecked 2 of my computers and almost smashed her own guitar thinkin it was 1 of mine.. so dumbass me got blackout drunk n put my guitars next to my 4wheeler, outside, forgot where i put them. 3 months, several rain storms, 1 snow storm (on the ex's bday lol) later, my brother helped me move the wheeler. i discovered my precious guitars. this was my fav the day it was found

silver lining, i cleaned up that 1, its still good and i get to do the last couple upgrades that i planned for years

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
uhh, cool? I guess. IDK what to make of that weird oversharing prologue to a jerry springer bit that should probably be sent to a lawyer instead of a not-quite comedy social media site

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That sucks man, sorry to hear about the bullshit and what happened to your guitar. I'd be gutted.

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?
meh im ok.. a few upgrades ive wanted are now easy.. stain, 0fret, new fixed bridge, sticker removal

but my bass died n my coustic too :(

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I hate teleporter accidents.

BY THE WAY, is MAB going on tour with Manowar?!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

These things happen, my Knopfler-worshipping guitarist buddy was playing on a cruise ship in the 90s, got in a biiig fight with his girlfriend one night, and decided he'd "show her" by throwing his 3 guitars overboard. 2 early 80s Schecters in original cases and a USA strat. Drugs may have been involved

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I finally purchased a midi controller, an Arturia Keylab Essential 61. Sweetwater and Guitar Center both had it at $20 off--$259. But sometimes you can find smaller retailers including bonuses and I found a good one on reverb.com. For the same price, I got an included MIDI cable, sustain pedal, and dust cover , plus they're also in NYC so there's free shipping. Heck I could've also gotten ~$13 off if I used a coupon directly on their website but that was only if I used paypal. For the same item other sellers had headphones, microphone, mic clip, different sustain pedal + midi cable.

So just a reminded to browse smaller shops. Search on reverb and look at the pictures or read the titles. I learned this a few years ago buying a few effect pedals. Somebody smaller is often including one or two cables, patch cables, pics, midi cable. My CR3-X Mackie speakers came with swag too, including a packaged Circuit City dust cloth which is too much of a novelty to open yet.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIYe74sczE

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

It's was incredibly hard not to laugh at this when I saw it in the guitar shop today. The even funnier bit is I googled to check, and this is a one off customized cigar box guitar, and it's migrated from one local music store to another.

Lol holy poo poo goddamn that scythe bit, ahahahaha!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 24, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm tempted to go play it in person...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Brawnfire posted:

I'm tempted to go play it in person...

Lol go for it. I'm sure Stutzmans gave it a thorough going over so it'll work as well as it can despite being... that. Be a good excuse to go twiddle some less loltasic guitars there too. I think the fire glo ric is still there? I know there's a thunderbird bass as well as an overflow of banjos around too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Have you ever wondered if you could get a rack mounted cigarette lighter including a handy compartment for storage?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

This owns. I like how stupid it is. The fact that it's got probably one of the most electronically noisy things built right in kicks rear end.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Gramps posted:

This owns. I like how stupid it is. The fact that it's got probably one of the most electronically noisy things built right in kicks rear end.

could also use it to charge an ipod. very versatile piece of kit

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah that owns bones, I don't even smoke anymore and I kinda want one

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but this guy takes a prety bitchin' hand-painted bass and turns it into the most boring thing he could. He has a whole channel of "restoring" things that are fine as-is. Yeah, de-sticker and clean the stuff, put why gently caress with art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbONQetxrA

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

widefault posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this guy takes a prety bitchin' hand-painted bass and turns it into the most boring thing he could. He has a whole channel of "restoring" things that are fine as-is. Yeah, de-sticker and clean the stuff, put why gently caress with art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbONQetxrA

Yeah that thing owns, BUT.. the finish of the finished product is pretty slick. Should have picked a different candidate for that one though, maybe some spraypainted monstrosity or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The finish product is really nice, but it's safe as hell and looks like so many other boring basses you can pull off the rack at Guitar Center.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i would've played the hell out of the original finish

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Well if there's one thing I want my guitars to look like, it's that fake wood paneling from an interior wall of one of those 80's trailer park trailers.

The original finish was awesome. What a chode.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GreatGreen posted:

Well if there's one thing I want my guitars to look like, it's that fake wood paneling from an interior wall of one of those 80's trailer park trailers.

…unironic agree, and make me a pedal case out one of those old fake wood VHS drawer thingies

(but for real wtf that original paint job was awesome, do it to something else!)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Which one of you did this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1086427061/custom-vintage-style-guitar-and-bass

INFERIOR Dumpster Salvage

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I did it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It wasn't Thumpasaurus?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nah not me.

I've made waterslide decals for some of the scratch builds I've done. The pro tip there is to print it backwards flip it over and fill in the backside with a gold paint pen.

The dumpsters been pretty slim pickings lately.

Last thing of any worth I found was an M-audio midi controller.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Trigger warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7MvSEZFeM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lmao at that headstock on the back. It might have looked sort of ok without it.