Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Let my mom watch my 18 month old yesterday for the first time while we went to a concert

Came home at 12:30 am to a wide awake baby

RIP Thanksgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah! Time for worlds to collide!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
It’s 7:20 in the morning. Last night I put both kids to sleep 30 minutes early after a week of 5AM wakeups. The kids are still sleeping and seemed healthy last night, but this is easily the longest they’ve slept in months.

Any bets on how sick they’ll be when they wake up?

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My MIL basically helped raise my kids during the pandemic and before they got a slot in daycare. My younger one loves his grandma so dang much he shouts for joy every time we talk about hanging out with her. When we drop them off he basically pushes us out the door saying “bye bye mama papa!”

Meanwhile my dad is living in southern China, I’m not on speaking terms with my mom, and I’d trust neither of them to watch my kids if they were near. Good grandparents are great. Bad ones really suck.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Oh my god gently caress teething + a cold. Our poor 8mo is just so sad and it's breaking our hearts and sanity.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid didn’t want any turkey or green beans but damned if she didn’t eat some pumpkin pie

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
My toddler ate nothing but canned cranberry sauce

I think it might be time to :sever: y'all :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dismas posted:

My kid didn’t want any turkey or green beans but damned if she didn’t eat some pumpkin pie

Mini Pony was stoked all week to make pumpkin pie, gleefully helped cook it, and then spent half of dinnertime meticulously wiping off every atom of pumpkin pie that accidentally got on his bread rolls.

He used cranberry sauce instead of butter inside the rolls.

Really wish he'd just poo poo in the potty. Would make things a whole lot less stressful around the house right now.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Slaan posted:

My toddler ate nothing but canned cranberry sauce

I think it might be time to :sever: y'all :(
Your kid knows what's up :mad:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My toddler refused turkey until I called it chicken. Then after happily eating it, I called it turkey again and he threw it all off his plate.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Haha. We can't even get our 5 year old to eat mashed potatoes nevermind meat. He had breaded rolls, cheese, and penne with butter for Thanksgiving.

He just says the turkey is not to his liking and he’ll try it again when he’s 53 years old.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tom Smykowski posted:

Your kid knows what's up :mad:

You wanna take this outside? :hayter:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Holiday number two in the ER for allergic reaction, check. Guessing it was the cashew in the mixed nuts, every other nut had been fine, but WELP. At least it was quiet and the doctor was great.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Slaan posted:

You wanna take this outside? :hayter:
Nah you disliking the good stuff means more for me so :respek:

Kid related edit: lovely radiator woke my kid up at 4:30 so off to a wonderful Friday start :tif:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Boy I'm jealous of you this week if you have parents who actually help out caring for your kids so you can eat a drat meal instead of sitting drinking with friends and making snide comments and laughing

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Thanksgiving wrap up:

Preschooler ate roughly a quarter of a buttered roll and tried to steal my wine
Toddler ate about a half cup of fresh/sour cranberry relish, some stuffing bread, and a whole slice of pumpkin pie

And here I thought the mac and cheese would be the safe bet

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My little guy did great. He preferred to sit in the lap of a woman he had never met before to eat, which was hilarious. He’s so trusting and friendly.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our 6yo nephew was hacking up a lung most of Thanksgiving (not bothering to cover his mouth either). He's always had asthma-like symptoms, so we assumed it was being exacerbated by all the running around the kids were doing. Towards the end of the day, he started getting feverish, and my sister-in-law casually tells us that her younger son had RSV a few days ago, so that's probably why he's been coughing so hard.

We're now anxiously waiting for that shoe to drop on our kids.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our 6yo nephew was hacking up a lung most of Thanksgiving (not bothering to cover his mouth either). He's always had asthma-like symptoms, so we assumed it was being exacerbated by all the running around the kids were doing. Towards the end of the day, he started getting feverish, and my sister-in-law casually tells us that her younger son had RSV a few days ago, so that's probably why he's been coughing so hard.

We're now anxiously waiting for that shoe to drop on our kids.

When did you first contact the sister-in-law’s kid? RSV has an incubation of at least two days, so unless you met him on Tuesday or before it’s probably a coincidence.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

in_cahoots posted:

When did you first contact the sister-in-law’s kid? RSV has an incubation of at least two days, so unless you met him on Tuesday or before it’s probably a coincidence.

Isn't the poster saying the hacking fever kid is the sibling of the one that had RSV?

Meaning she brought a kid she knew had been exposed to RSV and was coughing to a family dinner.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I’ve avoided Bluey because I’ve heard how emotionally engaging it is, and I guess that says something about my current mental state, but tonight my kids only wanted to watch crazy making shows, so I put on Bluey. I guess the people we share an account with (family of course, legally) have seen a few episodes, so it pulled up season two.

It’s the episode where the kids have trouble sleeping and Bingo is dreaming of the solar system. Tears started in my eyes when they broke out of the earth and moon, and I was BAWLING when the mom was the warm sun… I haven’t cried this hard in a LONG time. My face hurts.

Zero effect on my kids. My daughter told me she tooted and my son was trying to rub his boogers on my face.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

in_cahoots posted:

I may not have been clear with the pronouns. I don't know the exact timeline, but from what she said, her youngest had confirmed RSV sometime earlier this week or weekend. Her oldest was the one coughing and with a low-grade fever by the end of Thanksgiving.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

It’s the episode where the kids have trouble sleeping and Bingo is dreaming of the solar system.
That's a top five episode, possibly even the best one, so that's a hell of an introduction.

sheri posted:

Meaning she brought a kid she knew had been exposed to RSV and was coughing to a family dinner.
That's kind of a jerk move if true. However flu and RSV is everywhere right now and your kids have probably been exposed to it thrice today alone, even if they haven't left the house.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

‘Sleepytime’ is definitely top 5. If you’d like the same type of vibe with a little more whimsy, a newer episode called ‘Rain’ is pretty fantastic.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Little kids don't eat at holiday meals. Fact. You just have to let them survive on the one thing they will tolerate. I think they just get so overwhelmed by all the extra people and activities and new food choices, that they just go wild and shut down.

Mine didn't start appreciating the big meals until about age six. This year, she is nine and was counting the hours until meal time, she was so excited.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sleepytime is fantastic but that episode hits hard the whole way through.

"Promises" got me good the first time I watched it, and it still can draw tears even though I know it is coming.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Farquar posted:

Little kids don't eat at holiday meals. Fact. You just have to let them survive on the one thing they will tolerate. I think they just get so overwhelmed by all the extra people and activities and new food choices, that they just go wild and shut down.

Ya, this happened at friendsgiving. So many new toys to chew on, she failed the most reliable ‘are you hungry?’ test, which is waving a cheese stick in front of her every 30 min past the usual mealtime.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I may not have been clear with the pronouns. I don't know the exact timeline, but from what she said, her youngest had confirmed RSV sometime earlier this week or weekend. Her oldest was the one coughing and with a low-grade fever by the end of Thanksgiving.

Nope you were perfectly clear, I just suck at reading today apparently!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When I picked my kids up from daycare on Wednesday, a baby was in the reception area coughing a really gross sick cough. My kids are ok though. I'm really really considering just keeping them out of daycare next week though. They're ok and I want them to stay that way. My work will suffer but, whatever.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid was exposed to roseola/sixth disease! Yayyyyy!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours took turns sitting in our laps then needed nap time halfway through, ate half of a found banana and probably ate three or four squeeze packs another mom brought. Half a dinner roll may have also been consumed, along with some Mac and cheese. Pretty standard grazing. Was very shy when we arrived but after the nap was extremely social

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given the choice of watching even more movies with my in laws at their house, or going to the mall I ended up at Macy's tonight, and about half way through, watching my daughter digest the concept of mannequins. She was very interested in touching their hands even got a "what are these?" question out of her, I think only the second question she's ever asked me so far

She was really intrigued by them, we spent a solid 5 minutes investigating a family of three, and then another nearby pair, I even snapped a few photos. In retrospect glossy faceless humans made of plastic must be a very odd sight for a toddler. I don't give them a second thought, but I've been in more stores with them than days she's been alive

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Baby race is another hard hitter.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm in the afterglow of the JC Penny Family Photo experience. The makeup in the mall was closed and the hair salon was closed so me an mom look like hot trash steaming with stink lines. Baby looks good ofc.

There are so many families with babies trapped in this itty bitty waiting room, the American mall Black Friday infrastructure couldn't do the numbers they did in the past, all the copper is stripped from the walls and theirs only 2 dudes up front corralling all these hyper competitive and attractive families.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

My 4yo woke up this morning screechily demanding that it needed to still be nighttime until he had had sufficient sleep. "Will you just please turn off the sun and put it somewhere else?" He then monologued for some time about how he would destroy anything that made light.

I had a long week of Thanksgiving peopleing too, bud.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

a friendly penguin posted:

My 4yo woke up this morning screechily demanding that it needed to still be nighttime until he had had sufficient sleep. "Will you just please turn off the sun and put it somewhere else?" He then monologued for some time about how he would destroy anything that made light.

I had a long week of Thanksgiving peopleing too, bud.

Your kid and mine should work something out, lately she's been demanding at night that we "make it so it's morning" by finding blue and yellow things and putting them where the sun and sky should be.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I swear if our 4 year old daughter keeps up with her eating. I'm going to have to get a second job just to feed her when she's a teenager. At least she loves eating apples and other healthy food.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

wizzardstaff posted:

Your kid and mine should work something out, lately she's been demanding at night that we "make it so it's morning" by finding blue and yellow things and putting them where the sun and sky should be.

At least that's doable. My kid just wanted me to go to space. No problem. I'll just call up NASA.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Anything we should try to mitigate cold-induced diarrhea in a 9 month old besides like, bananas? The diarrhea is super annoying because she gets diaper rash pretty easily from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Any toddler sleep training resources you all can point me to?