Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so, any advice on robo cleaners?

We do tons of cooking but I've always wondered if robo cleaners could handle the things a kitchen can throw around-

Potato peelings, shallot peels, sauce on the ground, maybe even a stray garlic clove. Is this a problem? We've considered an auto vacuum for years but I've never felt comfortable about it because I don't know anyone who actually owns one. Price not a concern but I need to make sure it will actually clean a very much in use kitchen.

In theory it would be loving awesome because we have to clean our floors pretty regularly, not because the floor is gross or whatever, but there's usually something on the floor after a big cook and I'm not trying to leave a few stray peels on the floor. This creates a lot of constant upkeep and if a vacuum could handle that each night after we go to bed, that would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Put your potato peelings in the compost OP not on the floor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Taima posted:

Hey so, any advice on robo cleaners?

We do tons of cooking but I've always wondered if robo cleaners could handle the things a kitchen can throw around-

Potato peelings, shallot peels, sauce on the ground, maybe even a stray garlic clove. Is this a problem? We've considered an auto vacuum for years but I've never felt comfortable about it because I don't know anyone who actually owns one. Price not a concern but I need to make sure it will actually clean a very much in use kitchen.

In theory it would be loving awesome because we have to clean our floors pretty regularly, not because the floor is gross or whatever, but there's usually something on the floor after a big cook and I'm not trying to leave a few stray peels on the floor. This creates a lot of constant upkeep and if a vacuum could handle that each night after we go to bed, that would own.

Have you considered one of those wet / dry stick vacuums?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

There isn't an affordable robotic cleaning solution for scrubbing, you gotta get face to face next to the mess and lick it up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We have the Roborock S7, but the older models
work just as well. They’ll easily pick up any of those scraps you mentioned, barring those in corners or under cabinet edges that it can’t reach.

It also has a mop function. It does more of a gentle wipedown than a scrub, but that’s all you need like 99% of the time, really.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We love our separate roomba vac and mop. The vac empties itself, no complaints there. If I did it all again I'd get a self-cleaning/refilling mop too, I don't think irobot has one but competitors do.

The combo does pick up anything in the kitchen except really sticky thick stuff like a smooshed raisin or a drip of honey. But roomba also has this problem:

Vegetable posted:

They’ll easily pick up any of those scraps you mentioned, barring those in corners or under cabinet edges that it can’t reach.

Not a deal breaker for us, we have a dyson stick vacuum we use for spot cleaning other parts of the house so we hit under cabinets once a week or so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have determined that robots are more effective when the song Powerhouse is played during operation. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPYnNVMIyQ&t=119s

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

pseudanonymous posted:

Have you considered one of those wet / dry stick vacuums?

I haven't, I'm a huge idiot about basically everything. Would you mind pointing me to something you recommend?

BrianBoitano posted:

We love our separate roomba vac and mop. The vac empties itself, no complaints there. If I did it all again I'd get a self-cleaning/refilling mop too, I don't think irobot has one but competitors do.

The combo does pick up anything in the kitchen except really sticky thick stuff like a smooshed raisin or a drip of honey. But roomba also has this problem:

Not a deal breaker for us, we have a dyson stick vacuum we use for spot cleaning other parts of the house so we hit under cabinets once a week or so.

Very good points thanks, could you please point me to what you like?

Thanks for all the help!

Something I was looking at specifically is the i3+ is $249 refurbished on Ebay right now, thoughts?

https://slickdeals.net/f/16202884-i...teSearchV2Algo1

e: I would totally gently caress with one of these combo deals that you guys are talking about too. Totally open to whatever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 21, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This is the guy I trusted when picking my model. Second video covers the i3

https://youtu.be/UAivdTJsRig

https://youtu.be/s35ukmkxCV8

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Paprika, a really good recipe organizer for ios, android, mac, and windows, is on sale for black friday, 40% off for the mobile versions and 50% for desktop.

The best feature is you can point it at an online recipe and it will strip out the cruft about grandpa’s farm and give you just the ingredients and directions, which you can then save in a convenient categorized/tagged/starred/whatever list. It’ll also create shopping lists for you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

Paprika, a really good recipe organizer for ios, android, mac, and windows, is on sale for black friday, 40% off for the mobile versions and 50% for desktop.

The best feature is you can point it at an online recipe and it will strip out the cruft about grandpa’s farm and give you just the ingredients and directions, which you can then save in a convenient categorized/tagged/starred/whatever list. It’ll also create shopping lists for you.

Since you can capture text on the iOS camera now, you can even copy and paste recipes from cookbooks into paprika with relatively little fiddling. Super-useful feature that has helped me make copies of my favorite recipes from massive cookbooks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've used Microsoft Lens to scan and ocr recipes on Android but it doesn't handle typeset fractions properly which is really annoying for recipes

I need to find some better way to get them into paprika

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Lawnie posted:

Since you can capture text on the iOS camera now, you can even copy and paste recipes from cookbooks into paprika with relatively little fiddling. Super-useful feature that has helped me make copies of my favorite recipes from massive cookbooks.

I never thought of that, so thank you. That's super helpful. I'll also recommend Paprika, it's completely changed my take on web recipes, since it strips out all the cruft. I really, really like the ability to select a few recipes and add all the ingredients into a grocery basket with iOS reminder support. Makes grocery shopping so much more useful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paprika is really excellent. Makes keeping organized in the kitchen so much easier. My wife and I love it.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Holy crap, Paprika is on Android now? I've been sleeping on that. That's a fantastic app but I thought it was iOS only.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's been on android for years

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it called Paprika Recipe Keeper? $3?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ok Android at least it's paprika recipe manager 3

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Er yeah you’re right that’s the name

Ok I guess $3 is worth anything better than what I’m doing now

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
paprikaapp.com has links to all the stores

is idaho really a registered trademark

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 23, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Personally I think the android ui isn't great for entering recipes so it's more useful if you also get the windows version

The web import functionality is the same on both though

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Has anyone used both Paprika and AnyList? I have been using AnyList for the past couple months, and it's pretty good at importing recipes and easily creating grocery lists as well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Trying to come up with Christmas ideas for myself. My Victorinox Fibrox knives have served me well for a decade, but I wouldn't mind having something new and maybe a little fancier. Recommendations in the $50-200 range? I use a 8" chef's knife for more or less everything, so something along that line would be great.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Come join the Chinese cleaver crew and never look back

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Come join the Chinese cleaver crew and never look back

I’ve been thinkin about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve been thinkin about it.

Yeah, same.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Same. Any decent brands? I probably have access to niche Asian brands in person here in Vancouver - I don't want to buy a German or American version of a Chinese traditional knife.

mystes
May 31, 2006

One thing to consider before buying a cleaver is whether you like to do a rocking cut or a push cut. You can't do a rocking cut on a chinese cleaver at all.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

VelociBacon posted:

Same. Any decent brands? I probably have access to niche Asian brands in person here in Vancouver - I don't want to buy a German or American version of a Chinese traditional knife.

The one that started it all is the CCK small cleaver, but it used to be around $40 and now it's $90. If that's within your range, go for it. I use mine every time I cook.

Reddit likes the shibazi and the Dexter as cheaper options but I can't speak for either

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Will a cleaver gently caress up a normal cutting board?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Will a cleaver gently caress up a normal cutting board?
Just because it's called a cleaver doesn't mean you're supposed to whack the gently caress out of your cutting board with it

Chinese vegetable cleavers are pretty thin and often high rockwell steel and doing that is not good for them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

The one that started it all is the CCK small cleaver, but it used to be around $40 and now it's $90. If that's within your range, go for it. I use mine every time I cook.

Reddit likes the shibazi and the Dexter as cheaper options but I can't speak for either

Thank you - going to check these out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s sharpening cleavers like? Any challenge to it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have a Chinese cleaver and don't care for it much, I much prefer the standard chef's knife. How about the gyuto recommended in the OP, is it still a solid choice?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I’ve had that tojiro gyutou for five years and it continues to be great and low-maintenance

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Subjunctive posted:

What’s sharpening cleavers like? Any challenge to it?

I take mine to a sharpener. I've had various sharpening solutions and it's always more finicky than I want it to be and not as good as a pro - but that's with my chefs knife too

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you’re used to whetstone sharpening, Chinese vegetable cleavers are a dream. Just a big rectangle with one long, straight edge and no tip to worry about.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, the knife that started the Chinese cleaver craze in the US/English-speaking internet was the CCK KF1301. The closest match to it that you can still get for ~US$30 is the SBZ S210-1. If you want it in stainless there's also the SBZ F208-1. Here's a couple comparisons I posted some time ago in the kitchen knife thread:

SubG posted:

There's a seller on aliexpress here is selling the S210-1 for US$22.62 and the S210-2 for US$22.12. This is listed as a 49% off sale that ends in a few hours, but when it expires there will be another `sale' at approximately the same price.

That's the seller I bought mine off of (via aliexpress) several months ago (for the same price). Didn't have any problems with them, but buying poo poo off aliexpress is like buying poo poo off eBay---most of the time there are no problems, but occasionally you get a dodgy seller.

Anyway, I threw the CCK and SBZ on the table and took some pics and measurements. Click for big:

The more patina'd one top right is the CCK KF1301 (the real tell here is that CCK's phone number is stamped into the blade, which is true for most CCK knives). The one lower left is the SBZ S210-1. Individual examples of both vary a little, but the CCK is 232 x 101 mm, 2.79 mm thick at the spine, and weighs 367 g. The SBZ is 228 x 95 mm, 2.67 mm at the spine, and weighs 421 g. In the hand they're more or less identical. Like I've been using that CCK more or less daily for like a loving decade so I can (or I think I can) tell there's a small difference, but that would probably be true if you just gave me a different CCK KF1301.

SubG posted:

Yeah, those look like the same design---same spine geometry, same handle, and so on---just bigger.

Unrelated to that but since I'm posting anyway why not, here's another lower-priced CCK KF130x alternative.

This is a SBZ F208-1. Unlike the other cleavers I've posted in this thread it's stainless instead of high carbon. Thickness along the spine at the heel is just a hair over 2.3mm. Blade is 225mm x 95 mm. Weighs around 379 g. The CCK is a KF1301 (the #1 small slicer, bigger cousin of the one everybody knows from ck2g), which is 232 mm x 101 mm x 2.8 mm and 367 g.

Picked it up just because I wanted to try a stainless sangdao and liked the other SBZ cleaver I own. The fit and finish is noticeably nicer than on the similarly-priced carbon steel cleavers (including the CCK). Still not fancy, but a step up from the utilitarian workhorse construction of the others. You mostly notice it on the tolerances on the ferrule and the machining of the handle. Doesn't really affect usage any, just throwing it out there.

The SBZ is around US$30 from aliexpress.
The links are probably dead, but the aliexpress storefront that they pointed to is the "Only You online store", which I point out just because I haven't heard anyone having bad experiences buying from them and it's always a crapshoot on aliexpress.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Couple quick notes on chinese cleavers, as an enthusiast and, y'know, it's my ethnicity. And, because that's the same style knife I saw my dad and my grandmother use in the kitchen growing up, so. (my dad used the all-steel one, my grandmother a wooden-handled one)

There's a short one and a tall one. I have a tall one, from Winco. I bought it because it's all-steel, I don't care to deal with sanitation caused by wooden handles, since the ones off the shelf in chinese markets all seem to use super porous wood that's probably just whaver the hell they had lying around, as opposed to something suitable for a kitchen. It's the same one I've used for eight? years now? The more I use it, the more I wish I had a short one. I also discovered I was sharpening them wrong, the real poo poo way to do the way the OGs that only use one knife use it is to thin the tip and leave the heel thicker.

Tall one's great for breaking down large bundles of veg like cabbage, cai, and choy of all types. The shorter one, that my cousin who moved in with me during COVID has, is a lot better for pretty much anything else, I don't eat enough large veg to make it my primary knife. My ideal height would be somewhere in between, but uh, I don't think I'm willing to grind off a quarter of the blade off just to resharpen it, so I'm probably grabbing a short one this winter. As I understand it, they didn't come out with the short one until a few years after I bought mine.

I will also say "I don't want to buy american for a chinese knife" is... like, okay, I get where you're coming from, but you're looking at the knife the wrong way, and treating this thing too delicately. You would never see a Japanese or French chef going around cracking chicken bones in half with their knives, but a Chinese cook will absolutely do that with one of these. They'll flip it around so that they smack it with the spine like a hammer, and then picking out the bones is on the eater to handle with their tongue and teeth. Use 'em, resharpen them, treat 'em well, but don't get cute. The pricing that others have shared above should give you the idea of what kind of knife it is, compared to like, Japanese or European knives.

edit: Mora knives. Think of it like a Mora knife. That kind of bracket. Utilitarian.

I don't *doubt* that there are gourmet, chef-quality, Lamborghini-class Chinese cleavers out there somewhere, but as the chinese saying goes: Good steel gets used on the edge of a blade, and a cleaver is a *lot* of steel compared to a western or Japanese chef knife, making the ENTIRE thing out of super-high-class steel is missing the point.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I also discovered I was sharpening them wrong, the real poo poo way to do the way the OGs that only use one knife use it is to thin the tip and leave the heel thicker.

This actually gives me a lot of satisfaction to read because I was trying something like this on a coworker's cleaver since it seemed to make sense that the heel would be used to power through root veg and the tip would be for finer work. Is it true also (or do you remember from your childhood) that these would traditionally be sharpened on whatever random unfinished ceramic plate/bowl was handy?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I will also say "I don't want to buy american for a chinese knife" is... like, okay, I get where you're coming from, but you're looking at the knife the wrong way, and treating this thing too delicately. You would never see a Japanese or French chef going around cracking chicken bones in half with their knives, but a Chinese cook will absolutely do that with one of these. They'll flip it around so that they smack it with the spine like a hammer, and then picking out the bones is on the eater to handle with their tongue and teeth. Use 'em, resharpen them, treat 'em well, but don't get cute. The pricing that others have shared above should give you the idea of what kind of knife it is, compared to like, Japanese or European knives.

edit: Mora knives. Think of it like a Mora knife. That kind of bracket. Utilitarian.

Thanks for this also. I guess I was mostly just trying to avoid a situation where I find something unsatisfactory about the knife or the experience of using it and wouldn't know whether I just had a bad example of one or if there was something about my workflows that didn't line up well with it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 25, 2022