Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

iirc the bodies found in graves near the pyramids have had like, actual set bones for breaks, which is a level of medical care that wouldn't normally have been given to slaves at the time. There's also evidence of food rations that are frankly way better than would have been standard for enslaved peoples. Like, we're enough cattle, sheep, and goat bones to feed thousands of workers meat every single day.

Obviously it's not outright proof, but it is enough for the general consensus to be "yeah probably not slaves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
IIRC, there's evidence of a work stoppage due to a strike for better compensation. Not sure if that was a pyramid or a mastaba or something else.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also a bit of a question because the workers were paid in beer and food, which was basically just what you needed to live. But also, it's not like they're going to slip you a $50, getting paid in food wasn't a weird thing.

There was no currency back then

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's what I said?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Egyptians used wheat (and later I think copper, silver, and gold) as a medium of exchange and account, which essentially made it a currency. Getting paid in wheat was effectively like getting paid in cash.

There was actually never such a thing as the "barter system" as econ 101 classes imagine. Instead, everything has always been based on webs of trust and reciprocity, and/or a stable, divisible, and broadly valued medium of exchange.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

On it's face, harmless. But of course posted by a "Vaccines are evil and the government is tracking you through them" Trump worshipping fan.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

On it's face, harmless. But of course posted by a "Vaccines are evil and the government is tracking you through them" Trump worshipping fan.

Yeah, anyone who claims to be dedicated to the truth/reason/logic/etc. or acts like they're the sole arbiter of what is and isn't factually accurate is, by default, sus as hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There's value in not blindly trusting experts but boy is anti intellectualism the key for that stuff.

God knows I spent untold hours of my life during the Plague Years arguing with people online about the vaccine and arguments culminating in "your profile says you're a biochemist maybe you should have paid more attention in class :smuggo:"

Do you believe in the science or not rear end in a top hat

VVV Yeah it was a rhetorical question. They like to appeal to authority but the *right* authority, the one that supports their delusions.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 27, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's value in not blindly trusting experts but boy is anti intellectualism the key for that stuff.

God knows I spent untold hours of my life during the Plague Years arguing with people online about the vaccine and arguments culminating in "your profile says you're a biochemist maybe you should have paid more attention in class :smuggo:"

Do you believe in the science or not rear end in a top hat

No, they don't. It's just a smokescreen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's value in not taking everything you read at face value, but when 95% of the scientific community says something like "Vaccines are good and COVID can cause irreperable harm" and 5% says "Vaccines cause death LOOK AT VAERS" and you blindly trust that 5%, that's a problem

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Medullah posted:

There's value in not taking everything you read at face value, but when 95% of the scientific community says something like "Vaccines are good and COVID can cause irreperable harm" and 5% says "Vaccines cause death LOOK AT VAERS" and you blindly trust that 5%, that's a problem

Also if a study has significant results that say one thing, but several follow ups say it doesn't, then that doesn't mean that the consensus is split, it means that something in the first study wasn't controlled for.

This post is about horse paste.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, anyone who claims to be dedicated to the truth/reason/logic/etc. or acts like they're the sole arbiter of what is and isn't factually accurate is, by default, sus as hell.

Yeah, but the Bible says "__________" and no one can argue with the word of GOD.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, but the Bible says "__________" and no one can argue with the word of GOD.

Except they don't even really believe that. We've seen how they'll twist the bible to suit their needs. It's all just "whatever argument that other people will take seriously that will protect my lovely beliefs"

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out. These folks opened up and did a headstand right into the concrete pool of crazy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Saw this infographic making the rounds, probably had been around for a while now.
https://twitter.com/kev71466/status/1596871938236112898?t=3nYYLlOSV5o8esuRPiforA&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J.A.B.C. posted:

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out. These folks opened up and did a headstand right into the concrete pool of crazy.

I'm not even sure it's a result of trying to keep an open mind, I think that's just the fig leaf they try to use to justify their rear end-wrong position.
They work backwards from the conclusion they want to hear and cherry pick what supports them and say they're keeping an open mind, when all they really want is to go against the grain in order to feel like they're in on the secret that "THEY" don't want you to know.

It's basically babby's first conspiracy theory. They want the validation of feeling like they're in on special knowledge that the other sheeple just haven't woken up to yet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They haven't forwarded me an email about it, but the thing they keep harping on about is "THE E.M.P.! ANY DAY NOW, THEY (who?) ARE GOING TO SET OFF THE E.M.P.! THIS IS WHY WE MUST BUY LAND OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT AND BUILD A COMMUNE WITH OUR OWN POWER SOURCE AND WATER!"

What would be their power source and how would it be immune to an EMP going off? "We'll figure that out."

How would they get a steady supply of fresh water? "The government is obligated to supply that." The same government that's setting off the EMP? "It's not the government, it's the deep state." So... the government?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

They haven't forwarded me an email about it, but the thing they keep harping on about is "THE E.M.P.! ANY DAY NOW, THEY (who?) ARE GOING TO SET OFF THE E.M.P.! THIS IS WHY WE MUST BUY LAND OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT AND BUILD A COMMUNE WITH OUR OWN POWER SOURCE AND WATER!"

What would be their power source and how would it be immune to an EMP going off? "We'll figure that out."

How would they get a steady supply of fresh water? "The government is obligated to supply that." The same government that's setting off the EMP? "It's not the government, it's the deep state." So... the government?

Power goes out, city water stays on. Therefore water doesn't need power. Checkmate, "scientists"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Practical Engineering most recent video is about a massive grid problem. turns out it really sucks after a week.

Also while major cities will get hosed first and hard again, they're also going to get help first and hard sooo lol at bumfuck nowhere getting power back in a year while my satellite city to major city X gets rolling brown outs after a month.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Of course my "centrist" cousin fell hook, line and sinker for the "freeze peach" arguments from Melon Husk.

You could ask why a single erratic manchild should be able to own an entire social media platform, or how "freeze peach" is compatible with "speech I don't like is not tolerated here", or what a private company has to do with the government restricting speech, but that might require more thought than "Durr....muh constitutional rights!"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's just another example of fascists playing games with language to try and distract from the exercise of power

Free speech is whatever they want to say. It has nothing to do with the constitutional amendment, but they will imply that it does if they aren't getting to say exactly what they want. As soon as they want to ban other speech obviously it doesn't apply

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Of course, they change their tune when a private lot owned platform declines to carry their message.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Wonder how much this job pays.
https://twitter.com/24x7rebel/status/1599269124416233473?t=_pQARkoC1N6X63uUKlMVdA&s=19

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is anecdotal, but I've only heard the "why does no one want to work??" stuff intensifying in the last six months, not lessening. Just loving pay people more money. That was the promise of capitalism, that as demand goes up, price goes up. It seems not to be true for labor.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Those people are completely ignoring that our job numbers have continued to increase and, even when states stopped proving enhanced benefits, there was no noticeable shift in people getting hired.

I honestly think that the pandemic is going to be looked back on as a major environment change for the economy. People, who always wanted to leave their poo poo jobs, were suddenly able to and they have never turned back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But why are McDonald's reducing their operations instead of paying people $20 an hour?? If they can't afford to do that, they shouldn't be open.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Capital think they can hold out until the next major downturn when there will be a surplus of labor again. They also think they can survive that downturn. Finally, by doing so, they think they can force labor back into the existing status quo rather than renegotiating with labor now which will cause capital to have to give labor a non-zero amount of concessions and that is anathema.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Whenever I hear about the "McDonald's will be dead if they pay their workers 20 per hour" I think to when I used to work there and about how the exact percentage of the hour's profits that went to labor was not only widely known but openly discussed on a daily basis to determine if someone needed to be cut from a shift. 20% meant someone was being sent home, 12% was a normal dinner rush, 8% was an absurd rush. Yeah a whole 12% of the expenses were labor, God save them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If nobody wants to work your lovely job maybe there’s a reason for it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The argument I used to always hear was "But they chose to work there!" Smug liberals and chuds alike think this is a gotcha that immediately invalidates pro-labor arguments, but of course it's dumb; if you're desperate for work and McDonald's will hire almost anyone off the street, that's not a "choice" but extortion.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Invalid Validation posted:

If nobody wants to work your lovely job maybe there’s a reason for it?

Unfortunately, people are convinced the reason is that everyone is lazy and just wants handouts instead of rolling up their sleeves and dealing with grease burns and abusive customers for less than the price of a happy meal.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Whenever I hear about the "McDonald's will be dead if they pay their workers 20 per hour" I think to when I used to work there and about how the exact percentage of the hour's profits that went to labor was not only widely known but openly discussed on a daily basis to determine if someone needed to be cut from a shift. 20% meant someone was being sent home, 12% was a normal dinner rush, 8% was an absurd rush. Yeah a whole 12% of the expenses were labor, God save them.

Do you mean 20%/12%/8% is labor of profit or revenue? Then, at the end, you said "12% of expenses" Did you mean to say revenue or profit again?

Not wanting to disagree with your sentiment, im more curious about what kind of ratios they're operating under.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

itskage posted:

Do you mean 20%/12%/8% is labor of profit or revenue? Then, at the end, you said "12% of expenses" Did you mean to say revenue or profit again?

Not wanting to disagree with your sentiment, im more curious about what kind of ratios they're operating under.

If someone worked in management at a fast food place they can correct me but my understanding was that it was what percentage of the total revenue for the hour went to labor. It was constantly tracked because if things were slow and it crept up then someone had to leave. However there were definitely fixed costs and some total averages associated with it because you could have a completely dead hour and labor wouldn't be 100%. The "ideal" was 10-12% for a sustainable hour so that means one dollar of revenue for every ten went to workers.

But it's not for nothing that it was an hourly metric and a handful of orders would cover even a doubling of wages, because it wouldn't change any of the other fixed costs associated in that metric.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 6, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The argument I used to always hear was "But they chose to work there!" Smug liberals and chuds alike think this is a gotcha that immediately invalidates pro-labor arguments, but of course it's dumb; if you're desperate for work and McDonald's will hire almost anyone off the street, that's not a "choice" but extortion.

I always love "McDonald's is a job for high school kids! Find a real job if you're an adult!". So.... You only want McDonald's open from 4pm to 8pm every night?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Medullah posted:

I always love "McDonald's is a job for high school kids! Find a real job if you're an adult!". So.... You only want McDonald's open from 4pm to 8pm every night?

I want everything now, when I want it, but any time anyone implies taht I may have to make a sacrifice for that or acknolwedge someone else's humanity I'm going to say something even stupider.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

If someone worked in management at a fast food place they can correct me but my understanding was that it was what percentage of the total revenue for the hour went to labor. It was constantly tracked because if things were slow and it crept up then someone had to leave. However there were definitely fixed costs and some total averages associated with it because you could have a completely dead hour and labor wouldn't be 100%. The "ideal" was 10-12% for a sustainable hour so that means one dollar of revenue for every ten went to workers.

But it's not for nothing that it was an hourly metric and a handful of orders would cover even a doubling of wages, because it wouldn't change any of the other fixed costs associated in that metric.

Yeah this clarification makes way more sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CuddleCryptid posted:

The "ideal" was 10-12% for a sustainable hour so that means one dollar of revenue for every ten went to workers.

Do you mean “one dollar to workers for every 10 of revenue”, or am I more than usually confused?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Medullah posted:

They're rarely if ever the type of person who could last five minutes in a service job too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

Nah, they're willing to let kids skip school in order to make sure someone is there to cook them a big mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_steve posted:

Nah, they're willing to let kids skip school in order to make sure someone is there to cook them a big mac.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/nov/02/child-labor-laws-weakened-us-industries-teens

Let's just end child labor laws and send kids into the hamburger factories. Schools are just Nazi commie pedo indoctrination centers anyway.