Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This probably would have been a lot easier if they just turned the truck on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Riggers of the Lost TaTa

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I like how that statement is accurate regardless of how charged his phone is.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kids movie for kids.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

This is the pro-est of clicks… freaking inspiring

e: autocorrect

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Alexandra Petri has you covered

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/21/thanksgiving-songs/

(probably paywalled, sorry)

Bit late for this year's Thanksgiving but Archive.Today is often great for avoiding paywalls: https://archive.ph/1JevE

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kith posted:

Hard disagree. Practical effects are timeless and employ more people.

I'm assuming that was a joke since Terminator 2 came out 4 years before Toy Story and it was still bleeding edge CGI just to do things like paint out the cables holding up Arnold's motorcycle or turn a chrome guy into a puddle (and back). Then again, some people are idiots so maybe I'm the real idiot by giving goons the benefit of the doubt.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Doubting yourself is something arnie would warn you from. Trust your gut. Assume everything.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If t2 was made today with bleeding edge cgi it would not be half as good as it is with 1990’s practical effects

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, can you even imagine today's filmmakers melting a guy into the floor and then reversing the footage to pull off that effect so perfectly?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hell, even most of the CGI in Terminator 2 looks better than what shows up in modern CGI-fests. There are maybe a couple of notable exceptions, but stuff like the T-1000 walking through bars holds up even today.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

Hell, even most of the CGI in Terminator 2 looks better than what shows up in modern CGI-fests. There are maybe a couple of notable exceptions, but stuff like the T-1000 walking through bars holds up even today.

Wait, Robert Patrick couldn't walk through bars?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Messadiah posted:

Wait, Robert Patrick couldn't walk through bars?

He can, he just refused to do it during filming, so they were forced to fake it using CGI.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He can, he just refused to do it during filming, so they were forced to fake it using CGI.

It was against union regulations at the time.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Jabor posted:

This is because the number of VFX shots in film have increased dramatically since then, so the amount of time and money that goes into each shot has had to go down in accordance.

Terminator 2 had 150 effects shots. Marvel Infinity War had ~2,700.

Basically, much of cinema is basically CG animated nowadays

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Heh, looks like someone's doing a live action version of the truck scene from Terminator 2. I wonder if this is Russia, China or Australia? Wait... :catstare:"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Vakal posted:

All the work makes me tried just looking at it. CGing the whole thing would have been easier and just as good.

Get out of here George Lucas.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is because the number of VFX shots in film have increased dramatically since then, so the amount of time and money that goes into each shot has had to go down in accordance.

It's tangential, but maybe you'd be able to shed some light on this. I was watching the LotR trilogy the other night and thinking about how the Hobbit movies are, comparatively, a steaming pile of dogshit that I'll never sit down through, and generally received similarly by critics and most everyone I know. It seems this was in part due to a heavy over-reliance on CG, 3D technology and (I think?) shooting at 60fps.

Whether the effects in the original Lord of the Rings trilogy withstand the test of time is one discussion - I think it's about half and half, some of the CG still looks great and other things seem a bit rushed. Then again there's practical stuff in the LotR trilogy that looks dated these days - they didn't even have drones back then for the wide flyover shots. What I'm getting at, is that you see how the film industry is sometimes its own testing ground for new and innovative technology, in all phases of production. You mentioned that the Marvel films are basically all CG now, and the integration of CG elements is getting better and more seamless - we even have video-wall background screens that change perspective with the camera (and make actors nauseous). Some of it works but regularly you still get critics and audiences laughing at a stupid effect or CG that looks like it's from six years ago.

What I'm REALLY curious about is who is driving that testing and innovation? Are guys like Jackson and Waititi and Villeneuve reading technical journals all the time and checking out experimental technologies, like true gear nerds? Or is it the studios pushing them to shoot in 3D 60fps (for example)? I seem to remember something about The Hobbit in particular that suggested the latter and that Jackson didn't want to use all this ridiculous sophomoric and cheap-looking tech.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The number may have increased, but I'd be interested if there's been an associated decrease in render times and overall computing costs. I really have no insight into that industry beyond the odd documentary I saw.

I remember seeing some documentary on ILM (maybe?). And Jurassic Park was talked about and why it still looks so good, specifically the CGI. It was mentioned that it and films like it (T2 for instance) looked so good is that they were literally breaking ground and developing new technologies for the VFX at ILM. And as such concentrated their most talented and brilliant people toward that one project.

Mister Speaker posted:

What I'm REALLY curious about is who is driving that testing and innovation? Are guys like Jackson and Waititi and Villeneuve reading technical journals all the time and checking out experimental technologies, like true gear nerds? Or is it the studios pushing them to shoot in 3D 60fps (for example)? I seem to remember something about The Hobbit in particular that suggested the latter and that Jackson didn't want to use all this ridiculous sophomoric and cheap-looking tech.

That's an interesting question. I think in some cases, like Lucas or Spielberg it's a case of "here's some money, here's what I want, make it happen". Some are full on nerds like Cameron. I remember reading he put off pushing for Avatar to get done until he was confident the technology available could accommodate his vision. And even then I think some poo poo was developed (like the 3D cameras) specifically for Avatar.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 25, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Z2k6gFO.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rltm62JacB1s1ddrj_720.mp4

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I am curious about the tingle.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

if you want to see more like this, just google 'male docking'

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

axolotl farmer posted:

if you want to see more like this, just google 'male docking'

:hmmyes:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The courtship ritual of the car mechanic

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

I believe they call this move the Miles "Tails" Prower.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Management posted:

If t2 was made today with bleeding edge cgi it would not be half as good as it is with 1990’s practical effects

Depends on how it's made. Fury Road has more CGI in it than T2 but they both use it to compliment practical effects so it works. It's not that CGI is bad, it's just easier to use as a crutch. The movies that have crummy CGI in them would just have crummy practical effects instead.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I didn't know they were doing a remake of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo.

Edit: Fitcarhaulbros.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cat Hatter posted:

Depends on how it's made. Fury Road has more CGI in it than T2 but they both use it to compliment practical effects so it works. It's not that CGI is bad, it's just easier to use as a crutch. The movies that have crummy CGI in them would just have crummy practical effects instead.

I caught a glimps of Cameron's Avatar when the kid was watching it. The CGI was expensive, but drat it has aged poorly. It looks like they blue guys were rendered in the Morrowind engine or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avatar's CGI is on the same par as modern day. Which is the big problem with rewatching it and making a franchise: every big studio is of the same quality now. What used to be revolutionary is now the norm, and James Cameron has to rely on something else that he might not have.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

It's tangential, but maybe you'd be able to shed some light on this. I was watching the LotR trilogy the other night and thinking about how the Hobbit movies are, comparatively, a steaming pile of dogshit that I'll never sit down through, and generally received similarly by critics and most everyone I know. It seems this was in part due to a heavy over-reliance on CG, 3D technology and (I think?) shooting at 60fps.

Whether the effects in the original Lord of the Rings trilogy withstand the test of time is one discussion - I think it's about half and half, some of the CG still looks great and other things seem a bit rushed. Then again there's practical stuff in the LotR trilogy that looks dated these days - they didn't even have drones back then for the wide flyover shots. What I'm getting at, is that you see how the film industry is sometimes its own testing ground for new and innovative technology, in all phases of production. You mentioned that the Marvel films are basically all CG now, and the integration of CG elements is getting better and more seamless - we even have video-wall background screens that change perspective with the camera (and make actors nauseous). Some of it works but regularly you still get critics and audiences laughing at a stupid effect or CG that looks like it's from six years ago.

It's the visual effects studios themselves. The movie production studios and directors don't give a white hot gently caress what work and effort goes into CGI. They'll demand revisions of entire scenes without any extra budget to account for basically having to do it all from base again all while trying to pay the VFx studios as little as possible and giving them zero credit if the effects carry the movie.

edit: this does a real good job of explaining how bad it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALwDyS7rB0

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hazardousmouse posted:

It's the visual effects studios themselves. The movie production studios and directors don't give a white hot gently caress what work and effort goes into CGI. They'll demand revisions of entire scenes without any extra budget to account for basically having to do it all from base again all while trying to pay the VFx studios as little as possible and giving them zero credit if the effects carry the movie.

Sorry for not making it clear, I was more wondering about the use of new technology like 3D or 60fps, or that expression-tracking stuff that's been used since Avatar. I'm curious if the studios are so eager to jump on new trends like that, that they strongarm directors into using their own movies as testing grounds for the stuff. Again I thought I read somewhere that Peter Jackson wasn't even too keen on having all of that poo poo in his movies, but I could be misremembering.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mister Speaker posted:

Sorry for not making it clear, I was more wondering about the use of new technology like 3D or 60fps, or that expression-tracking stuff that's been used since Avatar. I'm curious if the studios are so eager to jump on new trends like that, that they strongarm directors into using their own movies as testing grounds for the stuff. Again I thought I read somewhere that Peter Jackson wasn't even too keen on having all of that poo poo in his movies, but I could be misremembering.

The problem with the hobbit movies is that there's three of them. CGI vs practical effects and 60fps are basically incidental.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The problem with the hobbit movies is that there's three of them. CGI vs practical effects and 60fps are basically incidental.

Nah, those are both problems. The CGI was extremely unrealistic, making it look more like a Marvel superhero comic book movie rather than something to be taken seriously. The battle scenes were particularly silly.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Effective-Disorder posted:

Wait, if it's an AC transmission line, is that actually static electricity?

I don't think it is, technically. I believe how it works is that EM field of the transmission lines ionize the air and that makes it a good enough conductor that when you touch something that is touching the ground you can get a shock. When I was a kid we had a cool set of bike trails that were under some lines and we'd regularly get shocks by touching our bike frames.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Dad?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I caught a glimps of Cameron's Avatar when the kid was watching it. The CGI was expensive, but drat it has aged poorly. It looks like they blue guys were rendered in the Morrowind engine or something.

At the cinema, in 3d, when it was released, it looked really impressive
It looks bad on TVs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

EoinCannon posted:

At the cinema, in 3d, when it was released, it looked really impressive
It looks bad on TVs.

I haven't seen it outside of the theater, but I'm not surprised. It was a legitimately impressive tech demo for the use of 3D space in film design, but pretty much everything else about it felt so meh that it instantly departed from my brainspace forever except for the occasional times I'm reminded to complain about it online.