Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It sucks because I honestly really loved Walker in Thunderbolts from a few years ago and Priest's run, but writers are completely uninterested in that portrayal of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I follow Ryan Ottley on Twitter and he's talking about taking over writing on The Hulk. It sounds like Cates left the book quickly. I didn't see an announcment or anything, does anyone know what happened? I wasn't feeling the Spaceship Hulk plot, so I stopped reading the book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

He got to have his cool toys have a big fight and then just got bored when he was out of ideas, is my theory. The back half of every Cates run is usually bad so I guess just chopping it off makes sense anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1594764844745506816?t=L7iGpkMLc_gnFJjS4_gYKA&s=19

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KNULL 2!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don't think I've ever read a single thing from Cates that I liked but he seems like a genuinely nice dude.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"If you were, he wouldn't have sent the Devil."

Alright, Zdarsky, I'm buying what you're selling.

I object to turning Walker back into a fascist again, but I'm buying.

I read the Priest USAGent book and I get the impression with his depiction in Daredevil (starting with Devil's Reign) that it's less that Walker loves jackboots and more that he's so browbeaten by life in general he doesn't really question orders unless he's forced to

Plus, it's not like Matt's got the most coherent moral compass anyway. He gets completely inside his own head in a way that Bruce Wayne usually has to invent a subconscious psuedo-persona to achieve. I won't be surprised if at least one of the people he took for his little anti-Hand ninja cult ends up being real lovely.

Honestly I'm kinda cooling on Daredevil slightly, Chip is a great writer but I don't think even he can make me give a poo poo about the Hand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Knull was named after the German word for zero (Null) so presumably if you were going to do a bigger Knull or an anti-Knull you'd want to name him after the German word for infinity. Which is Unendlichkeit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But if it's a German word you'd want the anti-Knull name to be something anti-German. What's the word for infinity in Hebrew?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobok posted:

But if it's a German word you'd want the anti-Knull name to be something anti-German. What's the word for infinity in Hebrew?

אינסוף

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sweet. Cant wait for the Knull vs. Ainsof slobberknocker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gologle posted:

It sucks because I honestly really loved Walker in Thunderbolts from a few years ago and Priest's run, but writers are completely uninterested in that portrayal of the character.

i thought it was a little funny it's coming just a couple months after Walker was in United States of Captain America

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nilbop posted:

I don't think I've ever read a single thing from Cates that I liked but he seems like a genuinely nice dude.

It's been a while since I read them, and they are early in his career, but you might check out Buzzkill or God Country.

He does seem like a cool dude. If I liked hanging out with people in person, I might enjoy hanging out with him.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's a GoFundMe for Peter David set up by his wife to cover his medical expenses.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Y'know it really loving sucks Marvel and DC don't have some sort of program set up to assist their aging artists and writers of comics as their bodies give out on them. THAT HELPED MAKE THEM AS POPULAR OR CREATED IN THE FIRST loving PLACE. Lord knows Disney has the loving money, Warner Bros....... well, who knows in that case.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, why doesn't disney do good instead of evil? it's a real question for the ages.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I mean sure if you're going to frame it as being a reductive poo poo that's certainly one way to go about it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can't even blame it on Disney as Marvel's hands-off-y approach to their original creators predates the buyout.

People talk poo poo about Stan, and justifiably so to some degree, but the only reason he got as much credit and facetime as he did was because he aggressively stuck around for literal decades and made it his business to be a psuedo-spokesman for Marvel as a "brand".

And even then, it's not like he had the kind of cash you'd think that the guy who co-created Spider-Man would probably would have.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cloks posted:

There's a GoFundMe for Peter David set up by his wife to cover his medical expenses.

gently caress. The newest X-Factor omnibus was just delivered to me today too. I tossed in some money. Peter David is cool and I hope he recovers.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Didn't Peter David go on some unhinged anti-Romani tirade not that long ago

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Abroham Lincoln posted:

2016 it looks like and he did apologize pretty soon thereafter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yes and he has in fact since doubled down on those ridiculous mindsets when pressed,

BUT

it does still suck that he's having such health issues and that our system is so hosed that long-time influential writers like him are constantly having to resort to begging for aid.

He seems to have some horrid prejudices, but I think he's also displayed a lot of...virtue, I suppose?...in other respects that he still deserves sympathy and support, like any human being.

rantmo posted:

2016 it looks like and he did apologize pretty soon thereafter.
It was one of those pretty flimsy non-apology youtuber-ish apologies, as far as I remember.

But yeah that doesn't mean it's good that he's sick.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 30, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He may not do a lot that merits defending, but I have come to appreciate in long-form storytelling that there's gotta be contrast. You have your world-ending crises, and then you unwind. You have your ups and your downs, your AXEs, and your "Valeria and Nathaniel get into shenanigans". Up all the time or down all the time is what makes series stale.

Edit: I seem to remember a storyline about downsizing into a brownstone? And Yancy Street. And suddenly we're back to blowing up the Baxter Building.

It's really weird that I don't generally enjoy a lot of . . . or really most of Slotts ideas. But I have enjoyed how his takes on characters have been different, unique, and consistent. Even if I wish they were unique in a different way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

It was one of those pretty flimsy non-apology youtuber-ish apologies, as far as I remember.

I thought that people in general thought it was a good apology.

https://www.peterdavid.net/2016/10/10/final-thoughts-on-the-romani/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Yes and he has in fact since doubled down on those ridiculous mindsets when pressed,

BUT

it does still suck that he's having such health issues and that our system is so hosed that long-time influential writers like him are constantly having to resort to begging for aid.

He seems to have some horrid prejudices, but I think he's also displayed a lot of...virtue, I suppose?...in other respects that he still deserves sympathy and support, like any human being.

But yeah that doesn't mean it's good that he's sick.
I.....don't think this is a fair assessment.

At 2016 NYCC he was on an LGBTQ X-Men panel since he was writing All-New X-Factor at the time when someone asked him about Romani when he went on a rant about how he saw a Romani person in Romania abusing their disabled child and when he asked his tour guide, he was told that Romani would break their childrens' legs to make them more sympathetic when begging. Video is available here in which they talk to the person who asked the question, who is the founder of Roma Pop, an organization to address the depiction of Romani in popular culture. He also notes he spoke with David afterward:

quote:

Rodriguez spoke with David at his booth in Artists’ Alley on Friday. Rodriguez tells me that David told him “that he will never apologize, that it’s absolutely impossible to start a conversation with Marvel and that the only thing he may offer is to make Doctor Strange 2099 Rromani. However, he also made very clear that he doesn’t want to “waste his time” with these questions and that he “had enough of the topic for a life”, he also confesses, by the way, that he had no idea on Rromani people.”
So yes, in the moment he did double-down some.

After the con, David posted this blog. His actual statement of apology could be better, but he recognizes that he was probably lied to by his tour guide and his more recent research doesn't actually jive with with it, though he does contend that he did, in fact, see a father dragging his disabled children behind him, but recognizes that he doesn't know how or why they were disabled. His assessment of his discussions with Rodriguez at the con are a bit different:

quote:

Of course, I could apologize to the gentleman who I attacked. Which I did. Over the course of two days. Over Thursday and Friday I spent a LOT of time at my artist alley table talking with him, hearing him out, discussing how I could improve the portrayal of Romani in the pages of the comics that I write. But after all that, he then insisted I arrange a meeting with editorial at Marvel. I told him that that was beyond my power to do. I guess what it comes down to is, when you’ve done everything you can to make it up to someone you’ve wronged and they demand the impossible, then you just have to shrug and know that you’ve done your best.
But it's not hard to really see how those two versions are describing the same discussions.

If he's said anything more recently than 2016, I'd be interested in seeing it, but Google isn't finding anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
*shrug* I don't want to belabor the point too much as this is absolutely not the time to be dragging the man, but suffice to say that Roma Pop were far from impressed with David's final thoughts.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/rromani-representation-peter-david-apologizes-and-roma-pop-responds-with-a-statement-and-goals/

quote:

In this response, he retracted one racist generalization for another, now accusing Rromani parents of being drug addicts who force their children to beg and steal. RomaPop is horrified by the fact that Peter David has been writing Rromani characters for over 20 years holding such a set of prejudices.

Peter David’s “Final Thoughts” were not about the Rromani people, or about RomaPop, or even about retracting hate speech. The skillful writer wove an apology post on what some fans were undoubtedly more interested in: himself. He excused his behavior, claiming that he is “not a racist” but simply a man who “feels passionately about things”.

Though we are glad Mr. David acknowledged that his previous assumptions about Rromani people were inaccurate, he failed to part with his tendency to generalize. He did not recognize the content of his statements as racist, nor did he acknowledge that the core problem is not his own identity but the systemic impact of his hateful words.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fair enough. I agree we should move along, however.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Gripweed posted:

Knull was named after the German word for zero (Null) so presumably if you were going to do a bigger Knull or an anti-Knull you'd want to name him after the German word for infinity. Which is Unendlichkeit

So Keit the Unending Lich, got it

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Great issue of Strange this week, love what they're doing with W.A.N.D. and the Blasphemy Cartel. Director None has an awesome design!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

looking through scans of ted mckeever's got me reading the first two issues of clive barker's hellraiser. I thought it was going to be a sort of general horror anthology but nope, cenobites and puzzleboxes shoehorned into every vignette. weird that the epic imprint fell through right as the vertigo imprint was in full steam

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so this Avengers Alpha thing is crap crap crap crap crap

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the other hand Strange is cool cool cool cool cool!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Rhyno posted:

so this Avengers Alpha thing is crap crap crap crap crap

avengers alpha feels like a post 2010s dc comics event

but so has this entire phase of the avengers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo like this makes me not like comics anymore

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh no, mephisto is going for the source wall previously unmentioned heap of dead gods. i don't think it is even the same one from aaron's thor run.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh no, mephisto is going for the source wall previously unmentioned heap of dead gods. i don't think it is even the same one from aaron's thor run.

It is. It's actually from way back in the Jeff Lemire Thanos run where it IS a Source Wall pastiche.

I think I'm in wait-and-see mode on Avengers Assemble/Alpha/Whatever this event is actually called? I have been kinda "oh that's neat" on Aaron's Avengers. It's not the best run ever but it's perfectly cromulent - if a little long-winded.

Rhyno, I think you're being your usual hyperbolic self but if *this* makes you not like comics then maybe... you just don't like comics anymore?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i've liked plenty of other stuff i've read of late.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My advice is to not read Jason Aaron comics, no matter how much people insist "it's not that bad" or "there's some good stuff in there." It's been working out pretty great for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I enjoyed some of what Aaron did, and particularly I liked his team composition early on, but somewhere along the way I just fell off and every time I look back it's more of the same. Absolutely nothing feels like it has any weight or consequence, despite the constant grandiose language or occasional ultraviolent torture scenes. And Mephisto has just never felt like a sufficient gear to keep me interested, particularly after that issue where somebody (I can't remember who) just killed literally dozens of him, one after the other.

Did Avenger Prime get revealed somewhere other than Avengers Alpha?