Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Scapegoat is amazing, but it's not semi-co-op. It's a full reverse hidden role game, in that you know that almost everyone else at the table is town with 100% accuracy. The two hidden roles are your target's role and your own role. One of you two is town and the other is scapegoat. So most of the game is trying to figure out if you are town and need to gaslight the scapegoat, or if you are the scapegoat and are currently being gaslit by the entire rest of the table into thinking you are town.

hahaha that sounds pretty hilarious, not gonna lie! This pageThe previous page is the first I've heard of Scapegoat, but I'm already interested in it now :D

EDIT: Dammit, new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Scapegoat was a big miss my group of social deduction loving gaming friends. We probably have > 1000 games of Avalon, hundreds of ONUW, and a handful of Blood on the Clocktower.

I can’t even remember what our specific issues with it were, but I remember we all just didn’t find it very fun. There was no oomph to immediately play another round like with all the games above. By the end of an hour or two we all knew the game was never going to hit the table again

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 23, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got my Wingspan Nesting Box today and it's HUGE

So many birds. So much room for activities.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Frozen Peach posted:

Mine just shipped. Looks like it's the size of the Anachrony Infinity box, sheesh!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Frozen Peach posted:

I got mine last week and was very underwhelmed. The card slots on the side and the dividers make zero sense to me.
And the fact there's no location for any of the tokens for Asia, or presumably any other things introduced in future expansions is frustrating.
Comparing that to something like the big everdell box it just seems like a real waste of space for 50% of it

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Spiteski posted:

And the fact there's no location for any of the tokens for Asia, or presumably any other things introduced in future expansions is frustrating.
Comparing that to something like the big everdell box it just seems like a real waste of space for 50% of it

Re: Asia tokens: not sure I follow, do you mean the black & white yin & yang tokens? I thought those just go in the white organizer with all the other player tokens.

That notwithstanding, still not an efficient use of space, absolutely no reason for the box to be this massive

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, I was pretty stoked until I saw the prototype. I guess I expected it to solve something, but it really didn’t do anything especially smart.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is Tinderblox

Tinderblox is a dexterity game about building a campfire.

In Tinderblox, a player's turn is made up of 4 actions.

1. Draw a card - The player draws and flips over a card onto the table. This card has a diagram of what you need to build.

2. Retrieve the pieces - Retrieve the necessary pieces from the game's tin to build diagram from the drawn card.

3. Build your diagram - Using the tweezers from the game's tin, construct the diagram. If you knock it over or it falls, that's okay, just rebuild it until you are satisfied with it and it matches the drawn card.

4. Add to the main fire - using the tweezers, pick up what you built over the first 3 steps and, without dropping it or causing it to fall apart, place it onto the central fire. If you drop anything that touches the central fire or you cause the central fire to fall apart, you lose.

I have enjoyed Tinderblox the 3 or 4 times I've played it.

I have never made it past my second turn. I almost always knock over the campfire during my first turn. I am not good at dexterity games.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

This is Tinderblox

I know the guy that designed this! I haven't played it myself yet but he's a really good dude and I should probably get myself a copy.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bodanarko posted:

Re: Asia tokens: not sure I follow, do you mean the black & white yin & yang tokens? I thought those just go in the white organizer with all the other player tokens.

That notwithstanding, still not an efficient use of space, absolutely no reason for the box to be this massive

Yea I separated out the player tokens and those fill all the spaces, there was no space separate for the yin&yang tokens unless doubling up some of the other pieces. I am half tempted to just rejig my old 3D printed organizer and flog this one off tbh. Very underwhelmed.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Yea I separated out the player tokens and those fill all the spaces, there was no space separate for the yin&yang tokens unless doubling up some of the other pieces. I am half tempted to just rejig my old 3D printed organizer and flog this one off tbh. Very underwhelmed.

Not sure I understand? There’s 7 sets of player tokens (including the white & black) and 7 spots for them in the main organizer with the dice & goal tokens.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bodanarko posted:

Not sure I understand? There’s 7 sets of player tokens (including the white & black) and 7 spots for them in the main organizer with the dice & goal tokens.

Because there are black and white player tokens, AND black and white yin/yang tokens which didn't fit with the black and white tokens in my one.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Because there are black and white player tokens, AND black and white yin/yang tokens which didn't fit with the black and white tokens in my one.

Oh drat didn’t realize there were black/white cubes additionally lol. Classic stonemaier flub

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been mulling over whether to get GWT or not. The people in my group who I play with the most recently played Concordia, Castles of Burgundy and Raiders of Scythia and enjoyed all of them. They even asked me if I had any games that were more complex just to see what they're like. Do you all think it would be too much of a jump in terms of rules complexity?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I know the guy that designed this! I haven't played it myself yet but he's a really good dude and I should probably get myself a copy.

You should tell him that he should consider adding a subtitle since there are 3 versions of Tinderblox, all with their own name and different cards, but the tins only ever say "Tinderblox" on it. When I got the most recent releas, my fiancee was just staring at for several minutes before saying "Kite we already have this one..." lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

You should tell him that he should consider adding a subtitle since there are 3 versions of Tinderblox, all with their own name and different cards, but the tins only ever say "Tinderblox" on it. When I got the most recent releas, my fiancee was just staring at for several minutes before saying "Kite we already have this one..." lol

The tins have different art on them, don't they?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’m thinking about picking up Jaws of the Lion. If I do, I’ll be playing two player with my SO, with whom I’ve played Spirit Island, so she can manage complexity, although she prefers less complex games.

Are the “intro” missions fun, or does it take a fifth of the game to get interesting?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I thought it was pretty fun from the get-go. Great on-boarding with that game.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Azran posted:

I've been mulling over whether to get GWT or not. The people in my group who I play with the most recently played Concordia, Castles of Burgundy and Raiders of Scythia and enjoyed all of them. They even asked me if I had any games that were more complex just to see what they're like. Do you all think it would be too much of a jump in terms of rules complexity?

I don’t think GWT is significantly more complex than Concordia.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

garthoneeye posted:

I don’t think GWT is significantly more complex than Concordia.

I think there's a lot more going on with GWT generally than Concordia where you're just managing your hand of cards and the brain-burn of movement, goods, money, and card acquisition. GWT has all the stuff with hiring people, hitting the various stops along the way, managing the rails, managing your herd...

Once you get GWT I agree, it's not that much more complicated than Conc but I think it's way more front-loaded.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

The tins have different art on them, don't they?

Yes, but barely

Tinderblox Day, Tinderblox Night, and Tinderblox Sunset. I imagine it'd be easy to mix up which ones you own and which you don't if you didn't have them on hand to check.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FulsomFrank posted:

I think there's a lot more going on with GWT generally than Concordia where you're just managing your hand of cards and the brain-burn of movement, goods, money, and card acquisition. GWT has all the stuff with hiring people, hitting the various stops along the way, managing the rails, managing your herd...

Once you get GWT I agree, it's not that much more complicated than Conc but I think it's way more front-loaded.

I think even when you get GWT it's still significantly more complicated just because the decision space is larger (Am I going cattle/buildings/trains right now? Why? For how long/toward what goal? Is this still optimal given hirelings and other players' play?) and there's more that you can do on your turn that's not easily fed to you by cards. But if they can handle Concordia, they can play GWT and do passably well at it so long as they understand the point salad ingredients from the beginning and that a purer strategy with a little bit of splashing tends to do better than a true hybrid strategy (IMO).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can expand those long term strategic considerations in Concordia as well. Teaching and playing the game for the first time is not about strategic depth though, it's about upfront info dumps. GWT is no more complicated than Castles of Burg in that sense (iconography, round flow, etc).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m thinking about picking up Jaws of the Lion. If I do, I’ll be playing two player with my SO, with whom I’ve played Spirit Island, so she can manage complexity, although she prefers less complex games.

Are the “intro” missions fun, or does it take a fifth of the game to get interesting?
the first mission or two are pretty basic but also very quick, by the end of the intro set they’re good fun

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is pretty cool for those of us who are 1) good working with their hands, and 2) confident about working with tokens in a way that could gently caress them up if done wrong

Coating tokens in jewelry resin: :getin:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2974746/deluxifying-your-cardboard-tokens-covering-them-re

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Getting the same vibes from that as I got from that guy who would cut apart game boxes to compress them down as much as possible

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is pretty cool for those of us who are 1) good working with their hands, and 2) confident about working with tokens in a way that could gently caress them up if done wrong

Coating tokens in jewelry resin: :getin:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2974746/deluxifying-your-cardboard-tokens-covering-them-re

oh god are they not wearing gloves?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Am I reading that right that they're putting resin on the top and bottom of the tokens but leaving the edges as just basic card covered in marker pen, and at no point sealing the edges with the resin? Because honestly that sounds like they're asking the layers to peel apart if so.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ok, at least one person in that thread was like "hey don't use toxic jewelry resin if you don't know what you're doing, use mod podge, idiot"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Tabletop crafters use resin for water effects, etc. I wonder if that would work and/or how it'd be different than jewelry resin.

Though based on that effect, probably better to just hope for a GeekUp set.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FirstAidKite posted:

Getting the same vibes from that as I got from that guy who would cut apart game boxes to compress them down as much as possible

There's a number of people who do that

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FirstAidKite posted:

Don’t sub-post me coward

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve both done box operations and mod podge on cardboard to make them hardier. The latter I only did on a couple reskins of games to ensure the glued printed paper on cardboard doesn’t peel off

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

silvergoose posted:

There's a number of people who do that

I do not know their names, only their actions, and while they choose to walk the path of the animal, I will forever rest entombed eternal within this mausoleum of cardboard and plastic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I played a game very similar to Tinderblox called but it was with Tetris piece blocks and you rolled a die to determine what piece you could grab. It had some construction theme and a four letter name that I can not remember for the life of me. I felt it was good if you like that sort of dexterity game, but I don't. The guy who made it was from around here and he apparently toured with a giant version, like those yard Yahtzee dice size.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can anyone recommend a fairly simple dungeon crawler, something good for a kid around ten?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

Can anyone recommend a fairly simple dungeon crawler, something good for a kid around ten?

Stuffed Fables

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

LifeLynx posted:

I played a game very similar to Tinderblox called but it was with Tetris piece blocks and you rolled a die to determine what piece you could grab. It had some construction theme and a four letter name that I can not remember for the life of me. I felt it was good if you like that sort of dexterity game, but I don't. The guy who made it was from around here and he apparently toured with a giant version, like those yard Yahtzee dice size.

FITS?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40393/fits

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Picked up The Fox in the Forest Duet, which is a co-op adaptation of the original. It's still a trick-taker but you have a pawn moving back and forth on a short path, with the pawn's movement determined by who wins each trick. When the pawn lands by a gem token, you collect it, and the object is to clear all the gems over three rounds without moving off the path too much. The two players are not allowed to give any hints about what's in their hand, though this is harder than it sounds! Very solid little game - lightweight, playable in 20-30 minutes, and more tense than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Stuffed Fables

Can’t believe I forgot about this, thank you.