Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought rg was the same scale as hg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah the sazabi is just huge. mobile suits got bigger and bigger in general until the plastic prices rose in the 90s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stairmaster posted:

I thought rg was the same scale as hg

It is 1/144 scale. Sazabi is just freaking gigantic.

I'm shuddering to imagine what fresh hell an RG Kshatriya would be like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Elyn made a bootleg 1/100 years ago and it was ridiculous. They're reportedly still available in China but I haven't seen one outside there for quite some time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arc Hammer posted:

PG Kshatriya, big enough to look like a toddler wearing a costume.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Honestly probably the most ridiculous thing about the RG Sazabi is that the funnels are seven pieces each.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Nobody tell them about the fin funnels on the Nu/Hi-Nu

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Puddin posted:

At least those are big. Until I saw the picture I was struggling to think of how you'd make those little nubs out of so many pieces.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Just wrapped up the hi Nu, agreed.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I don't have either of the RGs yet, but I'm gearing up to finally put together the Hi Nu ver.Ka I got last year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I hate to admit it, but I think the nu/hi-nu is the best looking Gundam MS.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm probably going to build the HG211 Leo as my first gundam

my brain is looking at the build options and saying "you should buy more of these, they're cheap and you could make a cool display thingy where Wing Zero is attacking a group of them each with different equipment" and the other half of my brain is saying "you ain't got the fuckin room for that stfu"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Count Thrashula posted:

I hate to admit it, but I think the nu/hi-nu is the best looking Gundam MS.

My wife started a MG Hi-Nu for last backlogust before getting too busy to finish it and it's been driving me nuts because it's my favorite suit. I keep threatening to finish it for her, but she also likes it too much to let me work on it.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my brain is looking at the build options and saying "you should buy more of these, they're cheap and you could make a cool display thingy where Wing Zero is attacking a group of them each with different equipment" and the other half of my brain is saying "you ain't got the fuckin room for that stfu"

Do it

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's a very nice kit, I was surprised at how good it looks for an HG. I used a melamine sponge to take off the shininess from the plastic and give a matt finish.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Damnit I already got the regular Super Pipimi

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

wasn't too bad for 2h of assembly

Right now my backlog is now:
HG162
HG174
HG228
HG236
HG242

Not tonight, but probably tomorrow I'll see about doing 1-2 more, which ones should I do?

also some thoughts as a miniature builder (I haven't built something like a model car or whatever since I was 10):
- instructions were way better than Games Workshop, no question about it. Clear, accurate, shows proper positioning of the pieces from multiple angles, etc
- almost no mold lines, however, what mold lines there are, I can't really seem to get with the back of my exacto, due to how flat the surfaces are instead of convex. This means I'm going to have to sand that entire surface down, I assume with some high grit and paint back over it, but that's outside of my scope right now.
- Perhaps due to this being one of the cheapest models, the joints slide out somewhat easily, and of course I broke the part of the handle for the shield accidentally, nothing some tamiya cement can't fix though. I am tempted to get that stand you can get so it balances better and I could give it more dynamic aerial poses
- I don't have any panel liner, but I have some contrast paints, I can probably use those (or make an oil wash, but since these are unprimed IDK how well that will go)
- I was considering doing the gun, but I'm not sure what to do with that grey part yet on the tip, it's pretty ugly. Maybe paint it two tone?
- the green part where it touches the feet keeps coming off if I adjust it, which is annoying

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 25, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

- the green part where it touches the feet keeps coming off if I adjust it, which is annoying

That ankle armor is notoriously loose

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

- Perhaps due to this being one of the cheapest models, the joints slide out somewhat easily, and of course I broke the part of the handle for the shield accidentally, nothing some tamiya cement can't fix though. I am tempted to get that stand you can get so it balances better and I could give it more dynamic aerial poses

One thing that's unusual about the Leo is the joint structure. It's closer to a 30 minute mission kit than to most other Gundam kits.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Any aus goons looking for some kits, Gundam Express Australia has some ok discounts for today.

I was wanting to get some of the Kyoukai Senki kits, and the discounts were pretty good!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think MetroHobbies has a sale on too but I haven't looked properly

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

GreenBuckanneer posted:

wasn't too bad for 2h of assembly
I always had a soft spot for the leo and its derpy head. Dunno why but the suit just transmits a plucky can-do attitude towards me even though it's a mass produced death trap in the universe iirc

I also used to build 40k and other minatures many years ago and got into building mecha kits around the end of last year after being absent from any model building for like a decade. I can't claim any authority but I have something that does bother me about your leo: It has a lot of visible nub-marks.

Excuse me if this is all stuff you're aware off but since I had a bit of a learning curve with that particular aspect myself, I can maybe give you one or two useful hints. First is to be mindful of what type of nipper you use. Normal double bladed nippers are fine and dandy for minatures but using a single-bladed nipper for mecha kits is a world of difference. Normal nippers crush plastic much more than they actually cut and send force through the sprue into the connector and the part. A single-blade nipper cuts through the plastic very smoothly, without sending force into it. This is the first source for stress marks and avoiding it saves you a lot of clean up time. I use a cheap single-blade mr.hobby nipper to get the part out of the sprue, with a bit of plastic left at each connector point. Then I take a more expensive single-blade nipper from dspiae (medium price point but worth it imo), put it as close and flat as possible to the leftover plastic on the part and just snip it. If the nipper is decent enough this can leave you with very little cleaning to do or even none at all! You can also do this part with a good hobby knife but I prefer the nipper. Using a good single-blade has seriously been a world of difference for me when compared to using normal nippers.

You've already mentioned sanding in your post and that's usually the clean up method to go by imo but if it's just a little whitening of the plastic, then you sometimes can get by through rubbing it with a fingernail. More seasoned builders might have a better view on this but here are my thoughts on sanding. You do start with a rougher grit and then jump up through a few steps of grit to smooth out the surface to the level you want it. If you're painting the kit then you don't need to go that high with the grit but if you want to keep it bare then you need some higher grits to polish. I tend to go 600g to 800g to 1000g to 1200g since I plan on painting my stuff eventually and do not need the best possible finish. For kicks I hosed around with 10k grit and at that point you get a straight up glossy surface. Sanding sticks/sponges/strips are actually not expensive and there are a lot of options from brands like dspiae, tamiya, bandai, infini and many more.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

All the nippers I have are double bladed. Technically you're supposed to leave a nub of the sprue then take off the nub after removing it from the sprue, but I never do that, at least with Warhammer, since like I said you can use the back of your exacto and scrape if off, especially if you paint it after then you won't see it at that point. I do have sanding sticks but they're probably like 60 or 120 grit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

All the nippers I have are double bladed. Technically you're supposed to leave a nub of the sprue then take off the nub after removing it from the sprue, but I never do that, at least with Warhammer, since like I said you can use the back of your exacto and scrape if off, especially if you paint it after then you won't see it at that point. I do have sanding sticks but they're probably like 60 or 120 grit

A set of God Hand nippers are well worth the investment if you're getting into Gunpla. They're the kind of thing where you might not get why they're good second-hand, but the first time you cleanly slice through a sprue with one like butter your response will be "Oh okay, I get it now".

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A set of God Hand nippers are well worth the investment if you're getting into Gunpla. They're the kind of thing where you might not get why they're good second-hand, but the first time you cleanly slice through a sprue with one like butter your response will be "Oh okay, I get it now".

I'm pretty new to gunpla too, I picked up some Tamiya brand side cutters from Amazon but haven't got them yet. How do people feel about those?

Guess I'll be buying some God Hands from Amazon today too :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that was exactly my experience! I built my first kits with a small electronics nipper and a flat & fine nipper from army painter. Both were double bladed and I had a lot of cleaning work to do for the nubs and stress marks. I got the dspiae single-blade a few days ago and am currently building a 30 minute mission kit with it. It really is a huge difference. I gathered that god hand is regarded as top of the line but their products are real expensive to get where I'm located. I ordered the dspiae nipper through a neighbouring country for like half the price of the top god hand product and so far I'm very pleased by it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You are right with a lot of marks and blemishes not being an issue after painting. Trouble is that it's not the case for each of them. Like certain marks will still show even through a few coats of paint. In the case of your leo I would be concerned with the marks on the shoulder balls and few others tbh. My experience with cleaning soley through a hobby knife has been that it's real easy to cause pitting when you take off the nub or scrape the surface. In the end though if it works for you then disregard what I'm saying! Lots of things can be done in different ways and still achieve great results.

For sanding I can recommend the sponge sets from dspiae. They have one for rough and one for fine grits. 30 sponges in each set (6 per grit with 3 different levels of thickness) in a nice little box for storage. Might be hard to get though depending on your location. I had to dig for a while to find a seller so that I didn't had to order from china and get crushed on customs fees.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 25, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm in USA.

I'm aware of the Godhands but they're $50 which is quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping for...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in USA.

I'm aware of the Godhands but they're $50 which is quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping for...

I was skeptical for a while but if you really get into this hobby it's worth the price of a couple of HGs to have such a timesaver. You have to treat them gently and use other cutting tools for the heavy work (I favor the Micro Mark despruing tweezers) but the God Hands are worth the premium for a tool you can use for years.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in USA.

One thing I've learned working on cars and bikes is that you can usually get a job done with the wrong tools, but with the right tools it'll take a fraction of the time and you won't hate yourself at the end of it. If you know you're going to be building a lot of gunpla, $50 to save yourself time and energy and potential fuckups sanding actually sounds like a good deal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Godhands are slightly sharper than their competitors even when it comes to non-single bladed nippers. It's definitely not necessary for everyone to get a SPN-120 but it is a slightly smoother cut than the others.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is there a thread recommended God hands alternative? Like maybe in the $30 range instead

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I got the Valtcan Prime model nippers for around 30 and they're totally fine.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
After my last SPN-120 broke I tried some Dspiae ST-A and they are pretty nice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://newtype.us/p/xATGUwz3qKoX1s0O7nDO/h/madworks-mh-03-single-blade-nipper

This looks better, though it warning you not to cut with the tip because it can break is a bummer

https://newtype.us/p/g9uPMb5OlbX0klfuJDys/h/softback-sanding-sponge-stick

This has more granularity (hah) in sanding sticks (I only have jewelry files and soft Amazon thin sanding sticks which are all rough grit.

And there's glass files? That makes sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do want to get some glass files for durability purposes.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The Dspiae 3.0 nippers has been night and day from my $8 nippers from the OP, I save so much time now and with a sharp hobby knife there's minimal to zero nub marks. I'll use my old nippers to get the part off the runner and then the Dspiae for the secondary cut. Only time I feel I mess up the nub marks now is if it's too awkward to get the nippers in place and/or I waited too long to replace the hobby knife blade.

I didn't want to spend so much money for a tool for plastic models but I'm glad I did, more fun and less frustration.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

PlushCow posted:

The Dspiae 3.0 nippers has been night and day from my $8 nippers from the OP, I save so much time now and with a sharp hobby knife there's minimal to zero nub marks. I'll use my old nippers to get the part off the runner and then the Dspiae for the secondary cut.
:hfive:

I can totally understand being dubious about spending on "just" a nipper because I had the same stance a few weeks ago. Then I looked up some more tutorials/tool reviews and started to understand the difference. Like seeing the smooth cut and hearing basically no noise is just so wildly different from any prior experience with regular nippers. Once you do it yourself you'll never go back imo. I was gonna recommend the MT106 from Mr.Hobby too but apparently I lucked out with getting it for 20 bucks from a local vendor because google is showing it for 40-50 bucks. It's not bad at all but the Dspiae 3.0 feels better and tends to go for the same price as far as I can tell.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This looks better, though it warning you not to cut with the tip because it can break is a bummer
This is a general thing with single-blades I think. The tips are pretty thin and you should handle the nipper more carefully over all. Getting used to cutting with the body instead of the tip has not been an issue for me though. The Dspiae nipper came with a little instruction booklet on how to use it properly, maintenance instructions, a little wiping cloth and a leather sheath lol. It seems appropriate to view good single-blades as a fine tool instead of ye old nipper that you'll just chuck into your tool box.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://newtype.us/p/g9uPMb5OlbX0klfuJDys/h/softback-sanding-sponge-stick

This has more granularity (hah) in sanding sticks (I only have jewelry files and soft Amazon thin sanding sticks which are all rough grit.
This should serve you well.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 25, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

And there's glass files? That makes sense.

I would recommend this for a glass file:

https://newtype.us/p/1l0FcpCdhpH8qfdMN5tL/h/raser-origin

Bought mine when I first started and it makes nub cleanup a drat breeze. My problem is I hate consumables so I avoid actual sanding stuff as much as I can.

Burns
May 10, 2008

boz posted:

I would recommend this for a glass file:

https://newtype.us/p/1l0FcpCdhpH8qfdMN5tL/h/raser-origin

Bought mine when I first started and it makes nub cleanup a drat breeze. My problem is I hate consumables so I avoid actual sanding stuff as much as I can.

Yeah that glass file is p good.

On nippers. I usually use cheap nippers to cut parts from runners and then the godhand to clean the piece. Ive heard that its all not recommended to use godhand on clear plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really don't want to clip twice, but I guess I'll have to get a single blade and try it out