Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Thank you friend for the Very Important Gif. It should even be added to the OP it's so Important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think the endgame strongly justifies Miraidon/Koraidon's role in the story as the only travel option you have. For future games I'd like them to open it up more, yeah, but I think it was the right choice for this game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, can anyone confirm if you can catch the box Legendary from the other version during the postgame (I thought I read something about that but I could be wrong)? Also what other legendaries are in this game and when can you find them (unless the others are just the paradox Pokemon)?

On that note, how much of a postgame does SV have for that matter?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

I think the endgame strongly justifies Miraidon/Koraidon's role in the story as the only travel option you have. For future games I'd like them to open it up more, yeah, but I think it was the right choice for this game.

Oh yeah, I totally get where the idea and execution is here and I'm fine with it (it's a lot of fun roaming around once you get some travel abilities too). I'm just kinda musing there's money left on the table for something broader to play with for an open-world Pokemon game, as they included a couple of prior transport pokemon and one new explicitly transport-type pokemon you just aren't allowed to engage with despite everyone else doing so.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
In case people missed it.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, can anyone confirm if you can catch the box Legendary from the other version during the postgame (I thought I read something about that but I could be wrong)??

You cannot. Instead you can catch a second copy of your box legendary in the post game, this is probably where the confusion comes from. Your ride partner can be converted into 'Battle Mode' in the post game if you have a spare slot in your party and used in Battles, but it can't be put in the Box or Traded. The second one exists to give you a copy that you can box and trade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HeyItsAyls posted:

You cannot. Instead you can catch a second copy of your box legendary in the post game, this is probably where the confusion comes from. Your ride partner can be converted into 'Battle Mode' in the post game if you have a spare slot in your party and used in Battles, but it can't be put in the Box or Traded. The second one exists to give you a copy that you can box and trade.

So is there anything worth using the Master Ball on in this game then?

Also do you have to have an empty slot to switch your ride over to Battle Mode or does it give you the option to replace one of your current pokemon?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 25, 2022

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

So is there anything worth using the Master Ball on in this game then?

Also do you have to have an empty slot to switch your ride over to Battle Mode or does it give you the option to replace one of your current pokemon?

When you click on Koraidon/Miraidon, if you have a full party, it'll let you select one of your party Pokémon to send to your box and replace it with your Legendary.

As for the Master Ball, other than the second box legendary, there's a Legendary Quartet. Finish the History Classes at School and the History teacher will mark on your map where to find their four spawn locations (to make them spawn you have to pull out the sealing spikes located all over the map. Each province has 8 sealing spikes that will spawn the legendary of their area. You're going to have to use a site like Serebii to find them if you don't want to hunt for them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, I assume Koraidon/Miraidon can gain levels once it’s in your party (also what level does it start out as once you can fight with it)?

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Thanks, I assume Koraidon/Miraidon can gain levels once it’s in your party (also what level does it start out as once you can fight with it)?

Yeah, it's just treated as a normal Pokémon once in your party. Your partner one starts at level 68, the second one you catch at level 72.

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is very much a me/minor nitpick, but just coming off travel in past Pokemon games I'm... not really a fan of the presence of the Legendaries from the get-go as travel companions. It's interesting having just A dedicated travel pokemon, but the core of the games has always been your own party and partner choices, and Miraidon/Koraidon just feel a little too overly-present/reductive for me if that makes sense? I totally get why it's the case, but I feel something more interesting could've been done folding past travel pokemon concepts into an open-world game. Put the all-in-one Legendary mid/late game for consolidation as the cool thing to get, but add some other travel pokemon too like Gogoat or the Cyclizars. Maybe some are faster, or better jumpers, so if you want to go out on the water you're looking along the shoreline for something to ride on, or something to jump up a cliff face, that sort of thing.

To be clear I'm totally fine with it as-is and thoroughly enjoying it, just idle thoughts that something better could've been done with what's available.

Being able to breed Pokemon mounts like the Chocobos in Final Fantasy would be amazing!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

Being able to breed Pokemon mounts like the Chocobos in Final Fantasy would be amazing!

I wasn't thinking individual stats, more like say Cyclizar and Mudsdale are A Fast Mount, Gogoat are A High-Jumping Mount, that kind of thing. But it'd be interesting to have stats influence that just a little to oomph out a tiny bit more speed/height/glide time/whatever for those that'd want to.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
considering we had swappable mounts in PLA and changing between them made riding feel much clunkier than it ever does in this game, im fine with the game having one dude who can just do it all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't think game freak could have handled making more models and animations for ride pokemon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HeyItsAyls posted:

Yeah, it's just treated as a normal Pokémon once in your party. Your partner one starts at level 68, the second one you catch at level 72.

One more postgame question then: I know you can only fight the Elite 4 once this time around but how do the School Tournaments work out of curiosity? Is it something you can just sign up for whenever you want like the tournaments in SwSh?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

I love it.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

One more postgame question then: I know you can only fight the Elite 4 once this time around but how do the School Tournaments work out of curiosity? Is it something you can just sign up for whenever you want like the tournaments in SwSh?

Yeah, it's just like the tournaments, 4 random battles against a pool of strong trainers you can do whenever you want.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
In case you haven't beat the game yet: Keep answering "no" to Nemona's question after you beat the pokemon league, the dialogue is funny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think game freak could have handled making more models and animations for ride pokemon

Just argument's sake and some back-of-napkin game coding, etc, but you actually wouldn't necessarily need to do that much. The key factors here are standardization and scalability given the scope of the game, and that's actually more doable than you might think; The Pokemon movement animation sets already exist as-is for ambient running/walking/flying animations and collision models. Your only actual work here would be designating a seat position on the back of the pokemon model and placing the player model there in the existing "Sitting on Mount" animation when mounting the "vehicle" pokemon and taking control of it. And it doesn't have to be every single pokemon, so you've got a pretty good handle on what your conditions will be for placement, behaviour, etc.

Model-wise, that's something you can fudge with a standardized saddle seat with handles. Something like the Mudsdale one in Sun/Moon. Player avatar sits on saddle, place saddle at SEAT_POINT on your mount pokemon, should work nice across anything that's a quadruped and not too wide. Some of the others are viable too, for example that paragliding rig from PLA for flying types - just place it the carry bar flush with the hanging feet on all the bird pokemon with flying animations and you're done.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This sounds like the Acro/Mach bike distinction but more complex and cumbersome.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I got a Tera Ghost Eevee in the event raids! How do I get high Friendship quick in Scarlet/Violet? Tera Ghost Umbreon seems like itd be fun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HeyItsAyls posted:

Yeah, it's just like the tournaments, 4 random battles against a pool of strong trainers you can do whenever you want.

Though apparently you need to beat harder versions of all 8 gym leaders again before you can unlock them. Do the gym rematches feature any new Pokémon or are they just higher leveled versions of the ones you fought before?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Whats up with all these raids that just hang on trying to connect and then time out? My internet aint that bad. Are the lobbies just full/started and the game doesn't have the kindness to tell me and let me try a different lobby?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'd estimate about 60% of the time I've throw pokeballs in battle, my character isn't even on the ride anymore when the camera changes. The ball is at least in place for where the hand would be though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Found a 5 star Ditto raid. Connected to the Internet so my friend can join in. Raid changed to an Eevee raid because of the event.

I'm so pissed

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

wizard2 posted:

I got a Tera Ghost Eevee in the event raids! How do I get high Friendship quick in Scarlet/Violet? Tera Ghost Umbreon seems like itd be fun

I managed to catch a Tera Steel Eevee. Not sure if and what I should evolve it into but it'll be a good start for breeding stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Thank you friend for the Very Important Gif. It should even be added to the OP it's so Important.

:hmmyes:
Should be the thread icon, really

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

considering we had swappable mounts in PLA and changing between them made riding feel much clunkier than it ever does in this game, im fine with the game having one dude who can just do it all

Unless you mean visually or thematically clunky, I thought that the mounts auto-swapping on their favored terrain was a great feature and really easy to roll with

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
What's the best place to go zone out while hatching eggs? I've been running around Mesagoza, but having to dodge pedestrians is kind of annoying.

Also if anyone needs a sprigatito, charcadet, or twenty of each, let me know.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vinylshadow posted:

Should be the thread icon, really

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What's the best place to go zone out while hatching eggs? I've been running around Mesagoza, but having to dodge pedestrians is kind of annoying.

Also if anyone needs a sprigatito, charcadet, or twenty of each, let me know.

The desert's wide open with not too many spawns

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I managed to catch a Tera Steel Eevee. Not sure if and what I should evolve it into but it'll be a good start for breeding stuff.

Caught a five IV female eevee in a heal ball and found out she has a timid nature. I'm leaning towards evolving her into an Espeon.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

is the second box legend you can catch the one that killed the original professor

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is very much a me/minor nitpick, but just coming off travel in past Pokemon games I'm... not really a fan of the presence of the Legendaries from the get-go as travel companions. It's interesting having just A dedicated travel pokemon, but the core of the games has always been your own party and partner choices, and Miraidon/Koraidon just feel a little too overly-present/reductive for me if that makes sense? I totally get why it's the case, but I feel something more interesting could've been done folding past travel pokemon concepts into an open-world game. Put the all-in-one Legendary mid/late game for consolidation as the cool thing to get, but add some other travel pokemon too like Gogoat or the Cyclizars. Maybe some are faster, or better jumpers, so if you want to go out on the water you're looking along the shoreline for something to ride on, or something to jump up a cliff face, that sort of thing.

To be clear I'm totally fine with it as-is and thoroughly enjoying it, just idle thoughts that something better could've been done with what's available.

I disagree; I really don't like how SuMo implemented it: "oh just call up this pokemon that's not yours and it appears instantly to help you for 5 seconds and leaves again". I really liked that in SV it was one pokemon, who you were travelling around with, that helped you out. The only good alternative I can think of is if the 3 starters all did this, but then all 3 would have to be motorcycles of some variety, which would have maybe made them too samey? Or maybe not, maybe that could have been a neat gimmick for this generation, but then you'd have to evolve them to stage 3 before the gimmick became usable (also not a huge dealbreaker except for people who don't want to use their starter pokemon I guess).
I don't know, in the end I think SV's solution was better. A story reason why you've got this guy sort of on your team but he doesn't battle. I never even considered him the "legendary" of the game, just a pal.
Still silly that you can't ride a regular Cyclizar at any point in the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Still silly that you can't ride a regular Cyclizar at any point in the game.

Don’t we even see a student hopping aboard one early on?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
A duck motorcycle certainly would have been better than whatever Quaxley is determined to become

the mount rationalization also masterfully lets them revoke it during Area Zero which I thought was a really cool story and gameplay beat

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I love how the Titan music kind of emulates the Legends music when you fought the lords of each zone

Also, I don't really like the aesthetic of the future Paradox Pokemon? They're really just all robots huh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FoolyCharged posted:

Whats up with all these raids that just hang on trying to connect and then time out? My internet aint that bad. Are the lobbies just full/started and the game doesn't have the kindness to tell me and let me try a different lobby?

400 people click on the 5-star raid but only 4 can join, and instead of saying "sorry we're full" it just hangs out. (Or something equally dumb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I respect and admire the cinderblock that acts as Nemona's brain.