Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Haha goddamn Worf and Alexander having to go to Troi constantly for family counseling

Worf is such a poo poo dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Kesper North posted:

Why do Romulans use singularity cores anyway, and why do they keep using them when nobody else does?

You'd think if they were an improvement on conventional warp cores you'd see other entities stealing their technology or developing their own, as with the cloaking device.

In Past Tense, O'Brien explains that the transporter sent the gang back to the past because of an interaction between the cloaking device and a random singularity passing by.

So I like to imagine that Romulan ships just constantly beam people through time and no one in the fleet has any idea when it is. But this is just how things work, who cares.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Chron-O-John particles

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been checking out some S1 TNG episodes and you can feel the TOS on them like in "Angel One" or that one that's racist. There are other subtler things to like the editing. Also, the acoustics on the sets are reverby compared to later seasons.

Also watched an episode of DS9 today. It's weird how O'Brien and Keiko are on DS9 now. How does the chronology line up with TNG? When I go back to TNG will O'Brien still be there? I'm glad Keiko got to start her school. This is the kind of scrappy makeshift living that I need from DS9!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 starts directly after TNG 6x11, Chain of Command II. The events of Chain of Command lead to the Cardassian military losing power and the civilian council forcing through the withdrawal from Bajor.

After that they then run at about the same pace in parallel.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 24, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DoubleCakes posted:

Hi everyone. I've been marathoning Star Trek this year and I've seen a bulk of TOS and I'm on the sixth season of TNG. I'm almost at the point when DS9 will enter my routine and I'm getting caught up with the TOS films before I reach the end of TNG.

DoubleCakes posted:

Also watched an episode of DS9 today. It's weird how O'Brien and Keiko are on DS9 now. How does the chronology line up with TNG? When I go back to TNG will O'Brien still be there? I'm glad Keiko got to start her school. This is the kind of scrappy makeshift living that I need from DS9!

It sounds like you're going by broadcast order, which (at least in the case of 90s Trek) means you're also going in order in-universe. The O'Briens have officially moved from the Enterprise to DS9.

By the way, you don't have to sweat the exact broadcast dates and worry if you should watch this particular TNG episode before or after that particular DS9. There are occasional cameos and crossovers during the "overlap" seasons, but no big back-and-forth plots that need to be tracked correctly to make sense. You'll probably want to hit the TNG finale somewhere around the time you're finishing season 2 of DS9, but honestly, even that isn't terribly critical. The two shows are in the same universe but each one is very much its own thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only thing that's a bit close is try to catch DS9 2x21 before TNG 7x24, there's a bit of plot relevance there.

Aside from that, yeah, DS9 1 happens roughly at the same time as the second half of TNG 6, and DS9 2 happens roughly at the same time as TNG 7, but it's not a big deal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 24, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Hollismason posted:

Haha goddamn Worf and Alexander having to go to Troi constantly for family counseling

Worf is such a poo poo dad

I mean, he's not a poo poo dad because he recognizes a need for family therapy. he's a poo poo dad because he's constantly looking for a place to dump his weiner kid. I'm surprised he didn't just leave his kid in the holodeck with "a hologram good enough to parent Alexander".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kehleyr would've been a better mom. Especially with her rejection of traditional Klingon values. A shame she didn't give Alexander a set of grandparents to take custody of him.

Worf's this big Honorable tradKlingon weeb for Klingon culture, which is antithetical to raising a nontraditional family, especially since the culture he's all about is not the culture that he's raising Alexander into. Anything that helps Alexander for later in life will take him further from Worf and anything that brings him closer to Worf will put him into a worse position for living life in the Federation.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kehleyr would've been a better mom. Especially with her rejection of traditional Klingon values. A shame she didn't give Alexander a set of grandparents to take custody of him.

Worf's this big Honorable tradKlingon weeb for Klingon culture, which is antithetical to raising a nontraditional family, especially since the culture he's all about is not the culture that he's raising Alexander into. Anything that helps Alexander for later in life will take him further from Worf and anything that brings him closer to Worf will put him into a worse position for living life in the Federation.

Worf does have a "no son of mine will be a dancer." energy going on and like most poo poo parents is putting their insecurities onto their kid. Worf so wanted to belong to his culture and prove he was a big bad rear end kicker that he never stops to think that his son might not want that life.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

There are several episodes about Alexander latching onto klingon warrior identity just like his father and it being toxic as gently caress for their mental health.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Even though it's not a major plot point in tng or ds9, worf being a bad parent is kind of a realistic depiction of lots of people, just in Klingon form..

Even In the future where poverty is supposed to be eliminated, people (or aliens) can still fail at poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Worf does have a "no son of mine will be a dancer." energy going on and like most poo poo parents is putting their insecurities onto their kid. Worf so wanted to belong to his culture and prove he was a big bad rear end kicker that he never stops to think that his son might not want that life.

He acknowledges that his son doesn't want that life at various points, but his way of endorsing that is to essentially cut contact with him, which may have not been the intention, but that's the result. Worf doesn't really want to try getting into art or whatever Alexander's into (which to be honest, neither do the writers), and he's not going to force his son to be a big bad warrior like him, but that means that the only way Alexander can get close to his dad is to go out of his way to get into some Klingon warrior honor stuff himself.

I think basically the writers just had no plan and no idea what they were doing when they gave Worf a son, so for most of the series he's just out of sight out of mind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The saddest thing is that when Alexander shows up on DS9 cosplaying a Klingon Warrior just to appease Worf out of spite the end result is that Alexander just kinda grows to accept it even though he’s miserable instead of Worf finally realizing the damage he’s done for years and going “look I know I said I want you to be a warrior but you should actually be your own thing that makes you happy”.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think it's pretty regrettable that Alexander is seen again after Firstborn, the DS9 stuff is honestly just bad in multiple ways in addition to completely undermining that episode

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Someone in this very thread a long time ago said, "The most important thing to remember about Worf is that he is a Klingon weeb." He's a goober compared to every other Klingon we see. He really is like that image of the weeb going to Japan and wearing a kimono amidst normal, modern, actual Japanese people on a train.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean Martok is Worf's friend but is also routinely like what the gently caress is wrong with you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like Martok is the only one who really could call Worf out on his bullshit

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like Martok is the only one who really could call Worf out on his bullshit

Gowron could too. Though in Gowron's case, he'd do it mostly to be an rear end in a top hat and him being completely right about it is ancillary to the point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Railing Kill posted:

Someone in this very thread a long time ago said, "The most important thing to remember about Worf is that he is a Klingon weeb." He's a goober compared to every other Klingon we see. He really is like that image of the weeb going to Japan and wearing a kimono amidst normal, modern, actual Japanese people on a train.

Wanna see the reverse

Hello there, my name is Sodypop Ko'vash. I'm a 27 year old Klingon Klingerran (human culture fan for you foreigners). I make and sell custom soft drinks at my boutique, and spend my days perfecting the craft and enjoying superior human passtimes. (Engineering, Diplomacy, Fisticuffs) I train with my phaser every day, this superior weapon can easily destroy an aqueduct because it fires a continuous beam, and is vastly superior to any other handheld energy weapon. I earned my phaser license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day. I speak English fluently, both France and Iowa dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about human history and their Starfleet regulations, which I follow 100%. When I get my Federation visa, I am moving to Detroit to work in a automobile factory to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become a soda jerk for Macdonalds or a union foreman for Ford! I own several cardigans, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Earth, so I can fit in easier. I try making friends with my elders and seniors and speak English as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond. Wish me luck on Earth!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a more serious note it would be cool to see more people who've just kinda assimilated into other planet cultures naturally.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Nearly finished S2 of Enterprise and I'm really enjoying it. They seem to realise that Trip, Phlox, and T'Pol are the ones with any personality.

I was very excited to recognise the voice of Andreas Katsulas in the start of this episode too.

Not sure about the weird romance undercurrents that occasionally pop up between Archer and T'Pol though

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but as I've grown older, I've grown increasingly disenchanted with the values of Star Trek. In the setting, the Federation passes up a number of opportunities to eliminate some mortal enemies, and years later these same enemies keep causing problems. The Federation could have crushed the Klingons in Undiscovered Country, but instead helped them out. Some decades later in an alternate timeline, the Klingons go to war with the Federation and nearly destroy it, and to prevent that, the Enterprise-C had to sacrifice itself. Then in DS9 the Federation decides to cure the Founders of the deadly disease that was killing their race. The Founders are going to cause trouble for the Federation again, they've been tyrants for thousands of years, they're not going to change their ways because they were shown mercy one time. The Federation should have let the Founders die.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At cost of an enormous unknown number of lives if the Jem'Hadar refused to stand down? It was a trade.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but as I've grown older, I've grown increasingly disenchanted with the values of Star Trek.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but as I've grown older, I've grown increasingly disenchanted with the values of Star Trek. In the setting, the Federation passes up a number of opportunities to eliminate some mortal enemies, and years later these same enemies keep causing problems. The Federation could have crushed the Klingons in Undiscovered Country, but instead helped them out. Some decades later in an alternate timeline, the Klingons go to war with the Federation and nearly destroy it, and to prevent that, the Enterprise-C had to sacrifice itself. Then in DS9 the Federation decides to cure the Founders of the deadly disease that was killing their race. The Founders are going to cause trouble for the Federation again, they've been tyrants for thousands of years, they're not going to change their ways because they were shown mercy one time. The Federation should have let the Founders die.

Yes wishing for genocides does make you a bad person, sorry to be the one to tell you this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Yes wishing for genocides does make you a bad person, sorry to be the one to tell you this

But if you just wishing for genocide against people you don't particularly like, that's still cool right?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kurzon posted:

garbage take

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also, Hitler should have finished off the Jews, just look at what Israel is doing now.

Edit: to be absolutely clear, I am being very sarcastic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did this ever get posted?

https://twitter.com/SpinaSanctuary/status/1577110769803546624

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kurzon posted:

The only difficult moment was in I, Borg when, because Hugh severs his connection to the collective, because i assume the buffer ran out and the wireless connection was weak, Picard decides not to neutralize the Collective. Just because one drone regains a semblance of individuality.

This results to the events of First Contact and of course, the greatest consequence, providing an avenue for Janeway and the rest of Voyager to return to the Alpha Quadrant.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

as I get older, I thirst for the blood of my enemies

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Go to Risa

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MikeJF posted:

On a more serious note it would be cool to see more people who've just kinda assimilated into other planet cultures naturally.

On Lower Decks in the DS9 episode you get to see an Orion who grew up in Ohio.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

3D printed vegan steak is pretty Star Trek

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Actual Satan posted:

as I get older, I thirst for the blood of my enemies

hell, same.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

dr_rat posted:

But if you just wishing for genocide against people you don't particularly like, that's still cool right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CPColin posted:

Go to Risa

Do not join a terrorist organisation while you're there.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BonHair posted:

Do not join a terrorist organisation while you're there.

But do get laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*Worf, his forehead beaded with sweat, presses the remote activation on the hyperpipe bomb he planted on the behalf of his terror cell*

*confetti blasts out in great streams, beautiful Risan women lay wreaths of blossoms around Worf's neck*

"Wow, this was even more relaxing than last time. I'll have to do this every year."