Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Herm Edwards was traded for a 4th.

Good god this is so funny to think back on.

I remember him getting booed for not even trying to score with like a minute 50 left with the ball at the 40 because he thought the defense needed rest. Which is a choice (a bad one) but this coming immediately after the Vermeil years was...a little bit of a culture change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’d honestly be ok with getting 3 firsts if they took Loomis too. I love the guy but quit playing hacky sack with the rebuild

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GD_American posted:

I’d honestly be ok with getting 3 firsts if they took Loomis too. I love the guy but quit playing hacky sack with the rebuild

It’s hard for a GM to commit to a full rebuild when there’s no guarantee he’ll benefit from the extra picks.

Ask me how I know.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

A true bidding war for Payton probably wouldn't get off the ground because he'd just declare his preference one way or the other and strongly imply that he wouldn't bother coaching for anybody else. He has more leverage than a player in the same circumstances because he can always just walk into an analyst job for millions of dollars. My guess is it ends up just being a conversation between the Saints and whichever other team Sean wants to go to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ShakeZula posted:

A true bidding war for Payton probably wouldn't get off the ground because he'd just declare his preference one way or the other and strongly imply that he wouldn't bother coaching for anybody else. He has more leverage than a player in the same circumstances because he can always just walk into an analyst job for millions of dollars. My guess is it ends up just being a conversation between the Saints and whichever other team Sean wants to go to.

The Cowboys are pretty much always in play assuming Fat Mike flames out in the playoffs, which is always a safe assumption. They just need one other team with interest that he’d be willing to go to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Chargers are actually interested in Payton that is where he's going unless the Cowboys really bomb in the playoffs. I can't see the Cards job being close to those 2.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Assuming Hackett is finished after this season, would Denver also be in play for Payton? The Waltons have the cash to throw around and they'll be desperate for someone to salvage the Russ situation

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shinji2015 posted:

Assuming Hackett is finished after this season, would Denver also be in play for Payton? The Waltons have the cash to throw around and they'll be desperate for someone to salvage the Russ situation

The don’t have anything to give the Saints because they traded their picks for a busted old QB that they’re stuck with for years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shinji2015 posted:

Sure, if Payton wants to go there. Not a very appealing situation though, considering that albatross of a contract they gave Russ

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The don’t have anything to give the Saints because they traded their picks for a busted old QB that they’re stuck with for years.

They got a first rounder for Chubb but that's basically it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

If the Chargers are actually interested in Payton that is where he's going unless the Cowboys really bomb in the playoffs. I can't see the Cards job being close to those 2.

Payton also has commented in the past of the value of a traditional front office setup, which is as close to a Jerry Jones subtweet as you’ll see from him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

They got a first rounder for Chubb but that's basically it

Oh yea, forgot about that. But like you said, doesn’t seem the sort of situation he’d be interested in jumping into.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GD_American posted:

Payton also has commented in the past of the value of a traditional front office setup, which is as close to a Jerry Jones subtweet as you’ll see from him.

Payton and Jerry love each other. If that job is open he's gonna go there. I just think it might not be open.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

All this hinges on the Chargers being willing to pay a top flight coach, and lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Payton and Jerry love each other. If that job is open he's gonna go there. I just think it might not be open.

Payton loving Jerry Jones does not equal Payton wanting to coach the Cowboys.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

mcmagic posted:

He can join the team that always looks tremendous on paper, but then somehow fizzles. Every year. Forever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GD_American posted:

Payton loving Jerry Jones does not equal Payton wanting to coach the Cowboys.

Payton 100% wants to coach the Cowboys.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

EconDad posted:

He can join the team that always looks tremendous on paper, but then somehow fizzles. Every year. Forever.

Hes got experience with this post 2009

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

EconDad posted:

So the Chargers shouldn't try??

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Payton 100% wants to coach the Cowboys.

I honestly don't believe this. He had plenty of chances to jump there.

The Chargers (gently caress do I want to just type San Diego there) seem to be the best possible job he'd get. Other jobs with better QBs are not going to have coaching vacancies soon.

Unless Andy Reid chokes on a chicken wing.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

drat do you guys remember when the Chargers fired a guy who went 14-2 lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

epic bacon posted:

drat do you guys remember when the Chargers fired a guy who went 14-2 lol

:rip: Marty :(

Gotta be the best coach ever to have absolutely zero luck in the playoffs. It's not like he didn't change things up or try new stuff (Martyball jokes aside), but nothing he tried ever worked once you get into January.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Gotta be the best coach ever to have absolutely zero luck in the playoffs. It's not like he didn't change things up or try new stuff (Martyball jokes aside), but nothing he tried ever worked once you get into January.

And when he should have martyballed, he didn't. Letting Rivers air it out to Eric Parker and Keenan McCardell instead of just feeding Tomlinson was nuts

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grittybeard posted:

i blame belicheck. that motherfucker's deal with the devil ruined a bunch of otherwise great teams/qbs in the AFC. Payton Manning for sure has 1 more ring without them constantly being a meatgrinder in the playoffs (or if dungy wasn't such a dumbass and kicked away from Hester)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

If it came out that Spanos's personal physician was the head of the Chargers' medical team, well, it'd explain a lot

I keep waiting for the nepotism or blackmail story to break because I don't know WTF other explanation for the Chargers medical situation could exist. But it's been going so long that surely someone would have unearthed it by now if there was something to be found

Teams will bury a guy out of the league for fumbling or oversleeping (rip Jonas Gray). But you puncture the starting QB's lung and there's not 50 equally or better qualified doctors lining up for the gig?

Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. Maybe the team doc works for 1/4 what any competent professional would ask for, and this pleases Spanos :thunk:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

(or if dungy wasn't such a dumbass and kicked away from Hester)

That was the Super Bowl they won.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Dungy only winning 1 Super Bowl with that Colts team was criminal.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That was the Super Bowl they won.

That story still owns though

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

And when he should have martyballed, he didn't. Letting Rivers air it out to Eric Parker and Keenan McCardell instead of just feeding Tomlinson was nuts

Keenan McCardell rightfully got his Super Bowl.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

syzpid posted:

Dungy only winning 1 Super Bowl with that Colts team was criminal.

Because Dungy is a fraud and overrated.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think Dungy made Peyton keep throwing the ball to the opposing team in the playoffs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

I don't think Dungy made Peyton keep throwing the ball to the opposing team in the playoffs

He's a coward like all defensive minded coaches.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Docjowles posted:

I keep waiting for the nepotism or blackmail story to break because I don't know WTF other explanation for the Chargers medical situation could exist. But it's been going so long that surely someone would have unearthed it by now if there was something to be found

Teams will bury a guy out of the league for fumbling or oversleeping (rip Jonas Gray). But you puncture the starting QB's lung and there's not 50 equally or better qualified doctors lining up for the gig?

Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. Maybe the team doc works for 1/4 what any competent professional would ask for, and this pleases Spanos :thunk:

They've replaced the medical staff a few times over the years and the issues just persist. It's a weird situation for sure. But it's like when a team's offensive line keeps sucking after throwing a bunch of draft picks at it. It looks like they aren't doing anything even though they are just none of it is working.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 24, 2022

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Kalli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8q3363qTk

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The death glare at the end is picture perfect.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kalli posted:

Speaking of teams that should have had more than one ring

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I know everyone likes to poo poo on QAaron now but the fact that GB only got one ring out of one of the best pure passers in NFL history is just as bad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sounds like it usually happens

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BlindSite posted:

I know everyone likes to poo poo on QAaron now but the fact that GB only got one ring out of one of the best pure passers in NFL history is just as bad.

I mean I agree but I don't see how Rodgers being poo poo relates to Favre only getting one ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean QBs winning multiple Super Bowls isn’t terribly common. Hell Payton only got his second ring as a corpse