Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

The ghost ship Moskva :ghost:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a Ukrainian made gateway drug. In the final phase you are addicted to Sims 3.

Real patriots larp Metro 2033 :zpatriot:

There are Metro 2033 larpers fighting for DNR, so yeah.

Young Freud posted:

While the book series is written by a Russian, the games are made by Ukrainians and diverges from the books.

The author vocally opposes the war, by the way, and had to leave the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Young Freud posted:

While the book series is written by a Russian, the games are made by Ukrainians and diverges from the books.

I think the post-apocalyptic first-person shooter game preferred by Russians is Escape From Tarkov, since it's made by Russians and the whole premise is not-Wagner vs. not-Blackwater vs. some flavor of not-Muscovite Russian or maybe Ukrainian civilians.

Is there anything beyond the Roadside Picnic short story? Stalker is a good game series but some of the devs are fighting on the front lines now, so I'm not sure if the sequel will ever be released.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tangibly idk how many more collapses Russia can handle and hell one big collapse that cuts the occupied territory in half would be a huge blow to Russia's strategic situation. With that said, I don't believe that it is clear yet if this is as existential for Putin as people like to make it out to be. It likely is and certainly failure in Ukraine would make Putin's position immensely worse and would give incredible fuel to those opposing him, but idk if there's really a clear replacement or person actually prepared to remove him. Most of the people who would be threats to Putin are currently being grossly enriched by Putin remaining in power.

I agree that there are always warning signs because governments don't collapse on their own without facing any crisis, but I think the larger point is this where we can't really tell what is a crisis the government can weather and what will cause a collapse. Taking Gaddafi's example in Libya or the current protests in Iran, we can't really say that the government starts being in trouble when the protests get to a certain size or anything. It just happens when the scales finally tip.

Edit: I feel I have to repost the Stalker dev diary from earlier this year, I can definitely see Russians getting in trouble for playing their game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxcfxdG22pg&t=176s

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Takes a real brain idiot to read metro-2033 and come away thinking war is cool and good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there anything beyond the Roadside Picnic short story? Stalker is a good game series but some of the devs are fighting on the front lines now, so I'm not sure if the sequel will ever be released.

I agree that there are always warning signs because governments don't collapse on their own without facing any crisis, but I think the larger point is this where we can't really tell what is a crisis the government can weather and what will cause a collapse. Taking Gaddafi's example in Libya or the current protests in Iran, we can't really say that the government starts being in trouble when the protests get to a certain size or anything. It just happens when the scales finally tip.

I agree that there is a certain special something that has to happen for stuff to fully kick off, but I just outright reject the suggestion that almost anything about revolutions or overthrows is particularly spontaneous or not easily foreseen by anyone actually looking. Sure, the Arab spring looked spontaneous and 'why now?!' to a bunch of foreign observers unfamiliar with the region or day to day life there... that doesn't mean it actually came out of left field because it emphatically did not. In most cases you had rapidly rising food prices combining with high rates of corruption and particularly brutal repression and lots of young, unemployed people facing lovely labor markets and few other options. Opposition groups were better networked and organized and found significant amounts of support both domestically and abroad. In most cases it was an essentially textbook situation likely to cause societal unrest or upheaval.

Trying to guess the exact timing or precise way things will go is probably fairly pointless in most situations as that's just the nature of incredibly complex systems. Still, it's not unknowable and on a fundamental level you're looking for whether there is a destabilizing force stronger than the authority holding the state together and, significantly, if there is any significant opposition to fill the void and for resistance to rally behind.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Don't most tyrants look unassailable right up until the point that they get toppled though?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For instance it was very clear in Zimbabwe that Mugabe was inches away from getting couped, but it did take about 3 years of it being very clear he had thin reins of power -- ever since he announced his wife as his successor. The overthrow of Bouteflika was also telegraphed for years, but again it was about 6 years that Le Pouvoir was literally doing "Weekend at Bernies" with Bouteflika's embalmed corpse propped up in a wheelchair until they finally let him rest in a vegetative coma. The overthrow of Ould Taya in Mauritania was also preceded by a couple years of major instability. Similar for the overthrow of Alpha Conde in Guinea, which was preceded by just under a year of major instability (albeit Condé had only just recently become a dictator, and I guess had not solidified his control). The other three though had, like Putin, been in undisputed dictatorial power for decades.

I think it's actually more rare for dictators to suddenly fall in a surprise flash, like Ben Ali. It rather frequently seems to be preceded by prolonged major protests (Egypt) or civil conflict (Libya).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The size of the protest is less important than how loyal the military is

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

The size of the protest is less important than how loyal the military is

Although military or political elites (or clergy in Iran) don't exist in a hermetically sealed vacuum, so if you have large unrest in a country there is a point where people the regime depend on will start thinking, "uh my family members are getting arrested and beaten up and even killed, maybe this government isn't the thing for me".

But it's absolutely impossible to tell when that point is crossed. Putin looks really safe compared to Nicky II or Gorby, but then again people are used to different standards compared to what was passable in 1917 or 1991. Maybe being offered a vegetable batch just isn't enough of a compensation for a lost job in 2022?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

HonorableTB posted:

Hah, I was checking out Perun's channel and I had no idea he used to be an exclusively video game channel until the war started. Since then he's done exclusively war related videos

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense that the sort of person who not only plays Dominions, but also makes video content talking about the relative strengths of different Dominions nations and how strategy applies to them, would be the kind of person well-suited to analyzing and explaining actual military strategy. That doesn't stop it from being weirdly funny, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense that the sort of person who not only plays Dominions, but also makes video content talking about the relative strengths of different Dominions nations and how strategy applies to them, would be the kind of person well-suited to analyzing and explaining actual military strategy. That doesn't stop it from being weirdly funny, though.

His actual job is as an analyst in the Australian defense industry. He hasn't been specific, but he's commented a few times that making and presenting PowerPoint presentations is pretty much what he does all day.

He also has said he has a degree in Eastern European military history (again nothing more specific), had a Ukrainian grandfather, and his family comes from Croatia.

That's as much as I've gleaned from the asides he makes during his videos. He knows his poo poo pretty thoroughly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

His actual job is as an analyst in the Australian defense industry. He hasn't been specific, but he's commented a few times that making and presenting PowerPoint presentations is pretty much what he does all day.

He also has said he has a degree in Eastern European military history (again nothing more specific), had a Ukrainian grandfather, and his family comes from Croatia.

That's as much as I've gleaned from the asides he makes during his videos. He knows his poo poo pretty thoroughly.

He is probably extremely identifiable to his industry stakeholders while remaining anonymous to people casually googling him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

Takes a real brain idiot to read metro-2033 and come away thinking war is cool and good

I’ve only played the games but they hammer the same lesson into you

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You seem to be asking the same questions on repeat, please stop doing that in this thread.

That's seriously not what I am trying to do I'm doing but I'll drop it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Croatia and Ukraine? I wonder if that happened in Australia... or Austria.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Russia is still holding on to the crescent from the 2014 era Novorossia propaganda maps, possibly minus Cherson, not sure whose control they put that under on those maps. Ah, and minus Odessa. But there's a connection to Crimea and it's decently pretty borders. You can absolutely spin that as a W of sorts.

Ukraine has a bit of a nut to crack to dislodge them from that area sans the advantages they had during the Charkiv and Cherson offensives. If they get deteched a bit with Lancet - depending on where the balance of RU production of them and UA development of countermeasures ends up - they might find themselves unable to do it.

Ofc if the Russians on the other hand fail to find cold weather gear for all the mobiks that might also be the ballgame in a month or two.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

aphid_licker posted:

Charkiv and Cherson

now that, that's a strange transliteration

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

aphid_licker posted:

Russia is still holding on to the crescent from the 2014 era Novorossia propaganda maps, possibly minus Cherson, not sure whose control they put that under on those maps. Ah, and minus Odessa. But there's a connection to Crimea and it's decently pretty borders. You can absolutely spin that as a W of sorts.

Ukraine has a bit of a nut to crack to dislodge them from that area sans the advantages they had during the Charkiv and Cherson offensives. If they get deteched a bit with Lancet - depending on where the balance of RU production of them and UA development of countermeasures ends up - they might find themselves unable to do it.

Ofc if the Russians on the other hand fail to find cold weather gear for all the mobiks that might also be the ballgame in a month or two.

Well yeah. If you asked me what part of Ukraine Russia would annex at the start of this, id draw something like that. (not that I thought they would really annex anything, I always thought it would be regime change)

They still control 1/5th of the country including the most industrially productive parts so there really is no way Ukraine negotiates right now and comes away seeming like the victor.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VSOKUL girl posted:

Romance languages do that, alongside Ucraina I believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VSOKUL girl posted:

There are quite a few languages that don’t use K

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Orthanc6 posted:

There's an estimated 500+ deaths for Iran's protests but that regime looks to be hanging on thus far... yet around 100 deaths on the Maidan ousted Yanukovych within weeks.
Did pre-Maidan Ukraine have sort've extensive and well funded internal security forces that are loyal to the Great Leader directly that Russia or Iran have though?

The thing that makes me think that Putin would die in office (even in the event of a complete capitulation of the Russian military in Ukraine) is that he has an extensive internal security force that is loyal to him and aggressive at going after people who are perceived to be against him.

To the point that even the billionaires, who are usually nearly untouchable even in the West, get tossed out of windows every now and again.

On top of that if things get really bad and parts of the Russian military rebel there is Wagner and Kadyrov's forces which are functionally private armies that are either loyal to Putin directly or close enough to it to not matter for most circumstances.

In order for Putin to get ousted those forces loyal to him would have to turn on him and I just don't see what would cause it.

From what I can tell (extremely not a expert there) with Iran their internal security forces are also pretty extensive and usually fiercely loyal to the leadership as well. In some cases they're getting beat down in the streets during major riots but generally seem to be holding together and are, unfortunately, doing their job of suppressing attempts to rebel on a organized national level.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's an Ukrainian Territorial Defense unit using Clear Sky faction patches.

Swamp Boys in action. No idea if they are STALKER players or just like the patch and the colour scheme.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

VSOKUL girl posted:

English has a really garbage transliteration "system," which is weird, since so many good local ones exist (in languages expecting a land war with the USSR).

At least it's not as bad as Persian, though...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk where OP got those transliterations from but Charkiv and Cherson are how they are transliterated to Dutch.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1596389927733927937
Posted without comment.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I suppose it would make a certain kind of sense, if true. You've got all these aging nuclear munitions you're paying upkeep on, doing you no favours in your current war, hanging around waiting to be decommissioned. Firing them off frees you from the upkeep and might even do some damage to the enemy.

Of course, it might lower your credibility as a nuclear-armed state, but the ICBMs have that covered anyway. Until some bright spark decides to take the nukes off those, anyway.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Idk where OP got those transliterations from but Charkiv and Cherson are how they are transliterated to Dutch.

If you want weird transliterations they are "Harkova" and "Herson" in Finnish.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wiki says these things can be armed with conventional warheads and they fired a few off during the Syrian war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-55

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Keisari posted:

Should really be Harkiva now (or Harkiiva?), Harkova sounds like the Russian name for it. (Kharkov vs Kharkiv)

e: On Dutch transliterations; our system is a bit... weird. For example; the transliteration of Khrushchev is "Chroesjtsjov". Yes, the щ gets transliterated to "sjtsj"....
So much so that you often see the English transliterations used in Dutch writings.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 26, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

spankmeister posted:

e: On Dutch transliterations; our system is a bit... weird. For example; the transliteration of Khrushchev is "Chroesjtsjov". Yes, the щ gets transliterated to "sjtsj"....
So much so that you often see the English transliterations used in Dutch writings.

Tsj is honestly not that far off, I don't think the sound it's trying to mimic exsists in Germanic languages.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Groda posted:

English has a really garbage transliteration "system," which is weird, since so many good local ones exist (in languages expecting a land war with the USSR).

At least it's not as bad as Persian, though...

i thought it was an official standard from the soviet government for general cyrillic->latin stuff and borrowed from german conventions half the time, hence "shch"

sure, it is stupid sometimes, but at least it's familiar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Keisari posted:

That’s actually very close to the originals - their Russian pronunciation, at least.

spankmeister posted:

Yes, the щ gets transliterated to "sjtsj"....

EU should trade the Netherlands for Ukraine to Russia.

VSOKUL girl posted:

i thought it was an official standard from the soviet government for general cyrillic->latin stuff and borrowed from german conventions half the time, hence "shch"

sure, it is stupid sometimes, but at least it's familiar

There have historically been several competing Soviet standards for how to preform transliterations. I believe in present day Russia there are 4 or 5 different methods in use simultaneously, with not even a uniform method enforced for all of governmental use.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MikeC posted:

You think he could survive a total defeat and remain in power? I suspect he is all in on this because the moment the war ends, if he doesn't have anything to show for it, it might literally be curtains for him.

Putin isn't in power, the KGB is. And the KGB isn't going away.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nenonen posted:

But it's absolutely impossible to tell when that point is crossed. Putin looks really safe compared to Nicky II or Gorby, but then again people are used to different standards compared to what was passable in 1917 or 1991. Maybe being offered a vegetable batch just isn't enough of a compensation for a lost job in 2022?

The other thing is life in Russia right now is really good for the average person by historical standards, you don't really see unrest generally until major centers start missing meals. Until famine is back (boys, it's good again) I'm not sure we'll see the massive upheavals people like to talk about.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

slurm posted:

boys, it's good again

Excuse me?

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
New York Times finally featured a noteworthy piece on the state of donated American artillery equipment in the war. Apparently 1/3 of the howitzers are out of action being repaired at anytime. Some interesting tidbits here and there and worth a skim.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I knew they'd eventually start cannibalizing their nuclear stockpile. All that poo poo is dual-purpose, because it saves development resources developing two separate airframes for conventional and nuclear plus it makes it harder for opposition to determine what's a conventional weapon vs. a nuke. It's just never thought they'd go ahead and pull those warheads out.

Also, holy gently caress, no warhead, just kinetic impact?! They don't even have the warheads to swap them to conventional use?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EU should trade the Netherlands for Ukraine to Russia.
Please don't. :ohdear:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This seems significant.

https://twitter.com/MavrUA/status/1596512484974006273

Makei's been Lukashenko's foreign minister for a long time. I don't think he was very old either.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This seems significant.

https://twitter.com/MavrUA/status/1596512484974006273

Makei's been Lukashenko's foreign minister for a long time. I don't think he was very old either.

defenestrationitis can strike even young people

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Belarusian foreign minister Vladimir Makey suddenly died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Also, holy gently caress, no warhead, just kinetic impact?! They don't even have the warheads to swap them to conventional use?

Maybe they just have plenty of old rusty garbage, so using them as decoys makes sense.