Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I get way more out of lords of limited than I ever got of LR. i usually only end up listening at the start of a format, but I dont bother with LR anymore. tried listening to the latest episode and its just marshall listing off cards and lsv going "yeah that ones good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I stopped listening to LR when they started shilling crypto, did they have to do a special episode when FTX collapsed lol

Lords of Limited gets put on if I run out of stuff I have tended to prefer Limited Level-Ups being more "here's general strategic thinking that could apply to this set" and Sam Black's Drafting Archetypes just to identify gameplans, I have found that more useful than the continuous card rating focus of LOL. Watching Sam Black stream drafts is also pretty useful.

Jim Davis is mostly for entertainment value once I'm out of the basic training for a set

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Simply Simon posted:

oof that doesn't really come together, does it

I had a similar issue with a deck of mine when I picked up two Goblins because they seemed fine, later heard they are actually excellent, and didn't realize what they needed: artifacts like Soul-Guide Lantern, Chromatic Star, Elsewhere Flask, that you can sac for free. You didn't pick up a single one of these, and/or a Strongbull that can actually repeatably sac stuff for a fairly strong effect, so I don't know what you're even doing with the Goblins in the deck now. Similarly, did you pick the Rivalries to try and find sac outlets and those didn't come, or did they just table late?

I don't think you'll get a good deck out of this pool, but I'd try and hedge my chances by playing for greed. You have a lot of targets for Symmetry Matrix, I'd give it a shot. Play the third Prowler for that as well. Mishra is fairly strong just for the Ward, I'd play him too (he's also symmetric). Play a Giant Growth and a Raze to the Ground to have more interaction, try to steal early games like that. Consider the Mine Worker just for curve, the Power Plant Worker because it's an okay mana sink and might just get you there.

Went 6-3 with this deck in the end lol. Thanks for your help!

Last match I was on track for the win until a cityscape leveler demolished my board. Oh well, very very pleased with how this deck performed and it really drilled into me the strats of Just Keep Attacking. Force your opponent to have to make decisions and often enough they'll gently caress it up somewhere. Then just windmill slam junkyard genius once the board stalls and that's game. Seriously junkyard genius is an insane card. Won me so many games

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Stupid sausage fingers hit the close game button before I could take a screenshot but mono green ramp is fun in gladiator. Playing against esper artifacts game 1 vorniclex into ugin ultimate took it, game 2 got out valued by him looping a sculpting steel as a hedron archive, game 3 kept a 1 lander and cast turn 5 nyxbloom ancient into Verdant Rejuvenation for a bunch more permanents wrapped it up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fridge corn posted:

Went 6-3 with this deck in the end lol. Thanks for your help!

Last match I was on track for the win until a cityscape leveler demolished my board. Oh well, very very pleased with how this deck performed and it really drilled into me the strats of Just Keep Attacking. Force your opponent to have to make decisions and often enough they'll gently caress it up somewhere. Then just windmill slam junkyard genius once the board stalls and that's game. Seriously junkyard genius is an insane card. Won me so many games
Hell yeah, I'm super happy my advice was useful!

How did the Matrix perform? Really not sure about a 4 mana do nothing immediately card, but a draw is a draw

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

Hell yeah, I'm super happy my advice was useful!

How did the Matrix perform? Really not sure about a 4 mana do nothing immediately card, but a draw is a draw

Matrix was an absolute engine. Wouldnt play it on turn 4 but didnt feel bad playing it when the board stalled out and once it was out I could just dig and dig for whatever I needed to break the stall, removal or junkyard genius or whatever. Playing scrapwork rager to draw two cards and then unearthing it to do it again was mega. It basically adds another gear to your aggro deck

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hrm. Looks like I have a new thing to play with in my Orzhov tokens deck. Drop-in replacement for Sigarda's splendor.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fridge corn posted:

Matrix was an absolute engine. Wouldnt play it on turn 4 but didnt feel bad playing it when the board stalled out and once it was out I could just dig and dig for whatever I needed to break the stall, removal or junkyard genius or whatever. Playing scrapwork rager to draw two cards and then unearthing it to do it again was mega. It basically adds another gear to your aggro deck
Hell yeah, that's great to hear. I'll keep an eye out for it and possible synergies!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I went 6-3 with a pretty terrible Soldiers deck. Fun little combo is Urza Prince of Kroog and Surge Engine. Soldiers will really get you there even if you have to force it a bit.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

precision posted:

If everyone is cutting off R/b entirely W/G and W/U are almost as good imo

I think I知 going to explore more stuff now, yeah

Unrelated but this format is the hardest attacks/blocks format I have played in a while. I知 leaving points on the table rn. Some of it is starting attacks a turn later than I should, some of it is playing to the board from hand rather than taking advantage of an unearth creature who can get in there this turn but probably not next.

I知 doing well but this is an area I need to clean up in the format

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i was cleaning up mediocre RB decks yesterday so it seems like the word is out there

ive had lots of success with black and green stuff. mill all your unearth stuff and profit. play every mutt and cohort you see and worry about how you will pay for them later

i dont think ive ever been killing it this hard in a format, im loving it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Decided to try the u/b draw a second card tribal and it was fun - went 5-3 and walked right into an obvious sibling rivalry turn to end my run. Big time punt on my end

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

How about this little GW number?

https://sealeddeck.tech/DwvNr3754l

Not sure I really have enough payoffs for the artifacts entering the battlefield theme? Dont think perimeter patrol is exactly what I'm looking for here?

Springleaf Drum + Alloy Animist too much fixing for off colour unearth costs? Though I suppose with them in I could drop and island or two for the blue splash.

Havent really played with white yet this set, interested to see how this performs

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
springleaf drum has felt very weak the time i played it, and seems to be just as bad when my opponents play it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't think I've seen a single person play it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think I've seen a single person play it.

I won a sealed tourney with 30 players and springleaf was in my deck. I think i used it exactly once to fix a mana issue but used it quite a few times to give my 2/2 vigilance human soldiers a quick +1/0 boost in tight spots.
But yeah it's not great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ran it thinking it was basically a Stalwart but it turns out that a creature that can tap an artifact or creature is a bit better than an artifact that can only tap creatures in limited

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Squinky v2.0 posted:

springleaf drum has felt very weak the time i played it, and seems to be just as bad when my opponents play it

How good can a card that does nothing get when it doesn't replace itself. You are literally spending a card to do nothing except offer the chance to fix mana.

Anything that replaces itself is going to be better. If it means not casting your spells though then you run it, much like how salvage manaworker was the bad but ultimately required card to play in domain decks that had a bad manabase in DMU.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Springleaf drum seems like something you only play in the GW artifacts entering archetype and play late rather than early. 1 mana trigger your stuff and let you splash the off-color unearth on the artifacts seem fine, but running it out as a t1 do nothing play like I see most opponents do just seems like a waste

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

Springleaf drum seems like something you only play in the GW artifacts entering archetype and play late rather than early. 1 mana trigger your stuff and let you splash the off-color unearth on the artifacts seem fine, but running it out as a t1 do nothing play like I see most opponents do just seems like a waste

Yeah like if you're super deep on arts and you have nothing better to run, which I suppose is theoretically possible. Otherwise drum bad

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

When did they add the option to buy the 90 packs with gold?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Simone Poodoin posted:

When did they add the option to buy the 90 packs with gold?

I remember it being there at the last rotation. But it might be older.

e: Actually, it probably was with the Baldur's gate alchemy release. I remember first seeing those appearing with a set I didn't care about.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 25, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sweated this one out, they were about to deck anyway and maybe there was some way to blow me out here but yolo

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Urza's Command is the only card I can think of and it doesn't stop enough damage.

edit: I guess Defabricate on Harbin's trigger works lol

Time posted:

I think I知 going to explore more stuff now, yeah

Unrelated but this format is the hardest attacks/blocks format I have played in a while. I知 leaving points on the table rn. Some of it is starting attacks a turn later than I should, some of it is playing to the board from hand rather than taking advantage of an unearth creature who can get in there this turn but probably not next.

I知 doing well but this is an area I need to clean up in the format

This is why I like this format, and enjoyed MID or SNC more than most people. Aggro formats are good magic.

wei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 25, 2022

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Well, I've reached what will definitely be my peak in this format. Opponent cast Cityscape Leveler, targeting my Hoarding Recluse with the cast trigger to blow it up. Got to counter the Leveler and then immediately bottom the Leveler with the Recluse's ability leading to a snap concede while I was still on a losing board. Magic is fun

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

wei posted:

This is why I like this format, and enjoyed MID or SNC more than most people. Aggro formats are good magic.

I知 quite enjoying the format

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

VictualSquid posted:

I remember it being there at the last rotation. But it might be older.

e: Actually, it probably was with the Baldur's gate alchemy release. I remember first seeing those appearing with a set I didn't care about.

Ah thats probably why I hadnt noticed. Gonna save for it now instead of buying cosmetics.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol I probably shouldn't be disappointed I 6-3ed once again instead of trophying, but here we are. The other decks being able to grind it out if I didn't get my bombs online and if my fliers were out notched me the last two losses. I have started to raise my opinion of Sky Marshal again after seeing Sam Black play with it and experiencing the longer games where that mana sink can win games on its own.

babypolis posted:

i was cleaning up mediocre RB decks yesterday so it seems like the word is out there

ive had lots of success with black and green stuff. mill all your unearth stuff and profit. play every mutt and cohort you see and worry about how you will pay for them later

i dont think ive ever been killing it this hard in a format, im loving it

Not as solid as that lol but I do think this is also my most successful set so far? Staying about 60% for so long...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In standard news, I have been trying so long to get Izzet Saheeli to work... but I must come to accept that if I want to play her and artifacts... I must Become Grixis 😔

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I'm just getting into Brother's War and I have drafted a deck with 6 skyfisher spiders.

Lost my first game because of that giant dude that nukes 2 lands when it enters and leaves play, but otherwise going well!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just had a game of gladiator where in 15 draws I drew 2 non land cards, if i'm hitting 0.008% odds I think the shuffler is telling its time to play something else for a bit

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Holy poo poo swiftspear is an absolute HOUSE in limited. I've won two games now off the back of t1 swiftspear, and some combinatino of Audacity and Aeronaut's Wings turn 2 and 3.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kashuno posted:

If you're casting an artifact late just to get a trigger off it, you should just be playing an artifact that does something rather than a brick with a relevant type

it's just not very good in the draft format, there's plenty of other ways to generate mana that have much stronger back-up plans

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Just played against someone with 3 skyfisher spiders in their deck. I lost ofc

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Been running this Izzet tempo deck and finding a lot of success. Taking a full playset of bitter reunion over a variety of blue draw spells has been huge. I was usually discarding them anyway, and the haste effect just comes in handy far too often with the fable/teferi/terror core to take fewer than four.

With just those cards I was having a little trouble with bigger bodies and getting the knock out punch, but a fires of victory, mishras command, and a one off Arbiter has given me the options to more or less deal with that. Im trying to find a spot for Balmor or maybe Ancestral Anger but 60 cards is already feeling pretty trim.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Boros Aggro seems dominant...

This also got me to Diamond... dare I make a mythic run? Or do I turn to Trad to preserve EV

Edit: lol first diamond game was getting eviscerated by Mythic #20... second streamer this week lol

Watching the vod and dude is smoking a cigarette while owning me lol... a hand rolled cigarette

Edit:
Event #14

https://www.17lands.com/draft/eb87cbf139f54cc59f75aa1e883139f3
5-3, 62-37 (62.63%). 12 drafts in the war chest

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 26, 2022

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Been struggling hard this format.

Critique my draft and deck!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/047aea98d7db4607bef6e4d35509c2b4

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Toozler posted:

Been struggling hard this format.

Critique my draft and deck!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/047aea98d7db4607bef6e4d35509c2b4

p1p4 I'm probably taking Shoot Down then Moment of Defiance (in retrospect, Moment of Defiance would have been the right call, Shoot Down would have been the call I made, I think)
p1p5 probably Thraxodemon
p1p9 Forge Chanter, the Mechanised Warfare pick 8 is a massive signal that red is open and you should probably be getting into it hard
p1p10 Whirling Strike is one of the better tricks in the set and lets your red dudes with tiny asses not get killed by small blockers
p1p11 Chanter again, red is open, chanter is a solid 2 drop and you want plenty of those.
p1p13 Roc Hunter over Boots, you don't have anything you massively care about protecting versus a decent powered critter that can trade for most if not all of the common fliers

p2p1 MISHRA holy poo poo, even without Dragon Engine Mishra is stronk, and even if not, Shell or Explosion over Fracture - but then, I think you should have been in RB, so a lot of the picks are gonna be coloured by that, and I don't think there's much more to be said on it.

Deck-wise what you got is still pretty decent, but you've left Corrupt and Disfigure in your board for some reason? I'm probably cutting Escape and either Fracture, Mutt, or Wellspring for them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #15

https://www.17lands.com/draft/659845c421554a83bbc873840b9457cc

This was an interesting draft... In the Trenches seems so powerful but the double pip... do I go three-color with this base? Do I leave white in the board and commit to UR for consistency (or a minor splash with the "free" land?) I am guessing I need 6 sources to make the double pip feasible

Hmm I am thinking Urza's Command is worth committing to UR for, synergizes with the main gameplan... oh wow it has a 57.9 overall but an absolutely bonkers 63.0% WR in Izzet. In the Trenches in Boros is 60.2%, I guess I have to consider whether that anthem is a game-winner in my deck. I guess I could just splash Static Net

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Good points in here, thanks for taking the time.

I am waving on Corrupt at 9 swamps when curve is already so topheavy