Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So if the guy who pushed admission prices sky high has been ousted, does that mean Six Flags ticket prices will actually get cheaper??

*I'm guessing no

Ultimately the guy's plan (trade volume of guest for "quality" of guest, a guest who pays a higher ticket price is also more likely to pay for restaurants and souvenirs etc.) wasn't bad in-of-itself but failed because they didn't actually do anything to make Six Flags more "premium" like build roller coasters or big ticket branded rides or themed areas.

Six Flag's choices are:
1. reverse course and go back to cheap and making their money on volume and all that comes with it (longer lines, less upkeep for rides, lower standards for employees)

or

2. make huge capital investments to make their parks a more premium brand like Disney or Ceder Point.

The first one is less risky but the second one has the potential to be more profitable but obviously just saying "We're going to be as good at this as disney" is much much easier said than done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the second one has the potential to be more profitable but obviously just saying "We're going to be as good at this as disney" is much much easier said than done.
I don't remember much in yh and any of theming for any of the Magic Mountain rides that weren't DC related. It was just some stanchions and chains set among whatever plants were around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Mike posted:

This is my second year buying 2 season passes and 2 dining plans for Six Flags. I live 15 minutes away and it's a good weekend activity for my daughter. First I heard they aren't renewing the dining plan option because someone went online about how they use it every day. Now they aren't open for Christmas themed December weekends. I don't think I'll be renewing my season pass next year. Maybe they want more short term heavy spenders and are actively trying to deter me. At this point I might just fly to Disney before I go to Six Flags again.

Being closed on weekends in December seems incredibly dumb.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Rick posted:

Being closed on weekends in December seems incredibly dumb.

You know what's dumber? Having a Halloween event where you have to pay for regular park admission + parking, then pay another 60 bucks to actually do the Halloween stuff while you're in the park.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Out of curiosity I looked at tickets to Magic Mountain December 1st. With the processing fee and parking it would be $111. I would never spend $111 to go to Six Flags.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McPhearson posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at tickets to Magic Mountain December 1st. With the processing fee and parking it would be $111. I would never spend $111 to go to Six Flags.
That’s insane, this isn’t Disney or Universal

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is Darien Lake still a six flags? I have fond memories of that little park.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Alterian posted:

Is Darien Lake still a six flags? I have fond memories of that little park.

It is currently, but it popped out of being a six flags the last time there was trouble, then became one again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Nobody ever talks about what a pain in the rear end it must be to get to, park, go into, and deal with the rigamarole of a theme park just to go eat two meals that are probably school lunch corn dog tier at best.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

IIRC he worked like a 5 minute walk from the park

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Twitter failed to detect upload of Christchurch mosque terror attack videos

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Great work Elon!
Keep it up, friend.
:thumbsup:

Dumbass

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Twitter advised us overnight that the clips have been taken down and said they would do a sweep for other instances.

Sure they will.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BlockFi/status/1597253469374910466

https://twitter.com/BlockFi/status/1597253473837453313

Yeah, good luck with that...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Forever_Wario/status/1597300159230390273

Twitter's going well.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

This warms the cockles of my heart

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm not sure someone determined to kill Twitter could have done it faster or more efficiently/hilariously than Musk cosplaying as a tech executive who knows what he's doing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
His yes/no poll contains no question.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It's more of a "am i rite?" kind of thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm not sure someone determined to kill Twitter could have done it faster or more efficiently/hilariously than Musk cosplaying as a tech executive who knows what he's doing.

Are you saying calling advertisers to tell them they are stupid isn’t a common tech strat

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If calling people to insult them into giving us money actually worked, goons would be loving rich with how savage we can be.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I would almost call it deliberate anyways because he's mad he was basically forced to buy it at lawsuit point, but that would be giving Musk too much credit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Coasterphreak posted:

You know what's dumber? Having a Halloween event where you have to pay for regular park admission + parking, then pay another 60 bucks to actually do the Halloween stuff while you're in the park.

Jesus.

You know I watched a blog of it and I actually really liked the look of it, it's come a long way from being extremely cheesy like it was when it started, and I was like "I'll try that out if COVID ever ends" but I ain't paying $120+$60 parking to do that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah, I get having it as a separately ticketed event, but the pricing structure this past year was just an obvious cash grab.

If you want to have less kids wandering around after dark getting in trouble, just do what Cedar Fair did and make sure they have a loving babysitter. It’s not rocket surgery.

e: he’ll, when attendance took a hit, CF even started handing out free admission if you brought enough kids with you and actually kept an eye on them.

Coasterphreak has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Nov 29, 2022

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Coasterphreak posted:

Yeah, I get having it as a separately ticketed event, but the pricing structure this past year was just an obvious cash grab.

If you want to have less kids wandering around after dark getting in trouble, just do what Cedar Fair did and make sure they have a loving babysitter. It’s not rocket surgery.

e: he’ll, when attendance took a hit, CF even started handing out free admission if you brought enough kids with you and actually kept an eye on them.

Also big shoutout to CF for making all 2020 season passes into 2021 ones for free, even though my two parks opened in fall 2020 just absolute lol if I would go to them before getting vaxxed

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Icon Of Sin posted:

If calling people to insult them into giving us money actually worked, goons would be loving rich with how savage we can be.

Have you heard of findom, my friend?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RFC2324 posted:

Have you heard of findom, my friend?

Oh, you mean like how Elon's ex told him to buy Twitter and he did it and lost twelve figures off his net worth?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Debatable whether Netflix is circling the drain just yet, but I feel like this comment alone is enough to qualify

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1598060314926481419

quote:

Meanwhile, Hastings was asked his thoughts about Elon Musk’s $44 billion takeover of Twitter. The Netflix exec responded with a glowing appraisal: “Elon Musk is the bravest, most creative person on the planet.” Hastings added that he is “100% convinced” that Musk is “trying to help the world in all his endeavors,” and added that he was “excited” about Musk’s Twitter acquisition.

Musk “just spent all this money for democracy and society to have a more open platform — and I am sympathetic to that,” Hastings said.

Meanwhile, his explanation for why they didn't leave Glass Onion in theaters a bit longer to make more money (which it really seems like it could've done) doesn't inspire a whole lot more confidence either:

quote:

Regarding Netflix’s limited theatrical release of “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” Hastings said that was a “promotional tactic” to build buzz and drive subscriber signups — and that the company would consider doing similar releases in the future. “We are not trying to build a theatrical business,” he said. “We are trying to break through the noise.”

Hastings added that Netflix left “a lot” of money on the table with the limited theatrical release of director Rian Johnson’s “Glass Onion,” starring Daniel Craig reprising his role as detective Benoit Blanc from the original “Knives Out.” Netflix earned an estimated $15 million at the box office over the Thanksgiving weekend in its release at about 600 theaters. After the one-week run in theaters, “Glass Onion” will hit Netflix’s streaming service on Dec. 23.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not surprised that another tech CEO buys into Musk’s bullshit

I think Netflix is in trouble long-term because I don’t think they can win the content wars against companies like Disney, Amazon, and NBC/Universal. Earlier this year they blamed subscriber loss on password sharing, but people have been doing that forever. The real problem is that they are just not keeping up with major new content that drives subscriber growth.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I can’t help but think that tech CEOs and VCs can’t say anything bad about Musk because they themselves have too many financial ties to him, or to what he represents. Musk is the very embodiment of Silicon Valley hype and (perceived) innovation, and if he comes crashing down, what does that mean? Especially as all these other superstar companies/leaders are having tons of their own problems (like Zuck), or have long since gone to poo poo (Theranos, WeWork, etc).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Debatable whether Netflix is circling the drain just yet, but I feel like this comment alone is enough to qualify

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1598060314926481419

Meanwhile, his explanation for why they didn't leave Glass Onion in theaters a bit longer to make more money (which it really seems like it could've done) doesn't inspire a whole lot more confidence either:

He also said he was willing to invite Dave Chappelle "again and again" for more specials.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Netflix is in trouble long-term because I don’t think they can win the content wars against companies like Disney, Amazon, and NBC/Universal. Earlier this year they blamed subscriber loss on password sharing, but people have been doing that forever. The real problem is that they are just not keeping up with major new content that drives subscriber growth.

At the same time, a lot of places like HBO Max, NBC/Universal, etc are also in hot water because they were greedy enough to start their own platforms so they would get all the hypothetical profit that Netflix made off of their content and are now realizing that licensing content to other platforms was far more profitable than running their own service. Amazon, Apple and Disney are exceptions since they are part of huge conglomerates that can afford to have a loss leader but who knows if they are still willing to have that drain. There is definitely some streamer consolidation on the horizon but I'm not sure if Netflix is going to be one of the first to fall.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Dec 1, 2022

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Netflix has also destroyed a lot of trust by unceremoniously cancelling anything that doesn't trend worldwide immediately upon premiere. Then there's that whole pesky anti-union stance that keeps emptying out their animation department and halted production on Nailed It, one of their biggest shows.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

They don't have any IPs. They haven't seriously pursued getting any. Long term Netflix is gonna go the way of the Roku Channel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Netflix has also destroyed a lot of trust by unceremoniously cancelling anything that doesn't trend worldwide immediately upon premiere. Then there's that whole pesky anti-union stance that keeps emptying out their animation department and halted production on Nailed It, one of their biggest shows.

Yeah they're kind of lucky HBO Max stole all the bad press immediately afterward, because they basically did a test run of that whole "cancel a bunch of shows and the entire animation department without warning" thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OPAONI posted:

They don't have any IPs. They haven't seriously pursued getting any. Long term Netflix is gonna go the way of the Roku Channel.

They still have Stranger Things, but that's coming to an end soon.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
And Derry Girls just ended.

They also have The Great British Baking Show…too bad it loving sucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Netflix was pretty revolutionary back in 2013, with their second attempt at original programming (Lillehammer anyone?) when they launched House of Cards. Nobody thought it would work, but it seemed that it was just at the right time for streaming being common enough, and it was lightning in a bottle for them.

They actually did a decent job at spinning up several series that put Netflix on everyone's screens, but it's been downhill for a while now that everyone else has spun up their own streaming services and siphoned off all the catalog programming that kept people on Netflix between seasons of Orange is the New Black or BoJack Horseman.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Netflix was pretty revolutionary back in 2013, with their second attempt at original programming (Lillehammer anyone?) when they launched House of Cards. Nobody thought it would work, but it seemed that it was just at the right time for streaming being common enough, and it was lightning in a bottle for them.

They actually did a decent job at spinning up several series that put Netflix on everyone's screens, but it's been downhill for a while now that everyone else has spun up their own streaming services and siphoned off all the catalog programming that kept people on Netflix between seasons of Orange is the New Black or BoJack Horseman.

The Marvel shows that aired there could afford to be far grittier than anything they’ll probably ever produce for Disney+. Those alone kept me on there for a while longer than I should’ve stayed.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This may be the luddite in me, but do you guys think there will be a resurgence of physical discs as more people get fed up with things getting moved and yanked off of various streaming services? Between that and running into extra paywalls for random movies, I'm glad I kept most of my discs. It makes suggesting something for movie night a pain in the rear end though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Then there's that whole pesky anti-union stance that keeps emptying out their animation department and halted production on Nailed It, one of their biggest shows.

Wait, is that why Nailed It suddenly disappeared? I just assumed it got overexposed and petered out.

lol that Netflix made a big push towards cheap unscripted content and then pivoted back towards expensive prestige shows because their flagship unscripted show tried to unionize. The golden goose is asking for a nicer coop, fetch the axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

This may be the luddite in me, but do you guys think there will be a resurgence of physical discs as more people get fed up with things getting moved and yanked off of various streaming services? Between that and running into extra paywalls for random movies, I'm glad I kept most of my discs. It makes suggesting something for movie night a pain in the rear end though.

Na.

Phones, tablets and hell even PCs don’t have drives anymore.