Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

OGS-Remix posted:

Do Curios stack? I'm using two plus Stamina ones and I don't seem to be getting extra bars. I guess it's better to get all separate bonuses.
I know the toughness ones do at least, I managed to get my toughness to ~150% as a Zealot at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

OGS-Remix posted:

Do Curios stack? I'm using two plus Stamina ones and I don't seem to be getting extra bars. I guess it's better to get all separate bonuses.

+ stamina doesn't actually give you extra bars, it just makes the bars there more efficient

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 26, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Vet seems like the stand out between the classes where it has several tiers with good perks that compete with each other, while the other classes seem to have a lot of obvious picks.

Working as intended, the other large guns work the same way. It's the trade off compared to pistols which whip out ready to go.

Plasma doesn't have the ready time, which is part of why I'm starting to prefer it over bolter.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

After some testing and min/maxing, here is what I'm rolling with for Psyker in difficulty 3+ missions

Tier1: Toughness on kill since I tend to wipe out entire hordes with the voidstrike staff, I also like toughness on quell as a top tier choice for turning your ultimate into a toughness recharge, the third feat is useless due to the delay.

Tier2: Peril resist per warp charge or 5-15% damage based on peril level, both are good, the third feat is useless because soulblaze is weak and the range so short.

Tier3: Psykinetic aura I think is sleeper powerful, class abilities tend to be a get out of jail free card and you want those cards as often as possible for your entire team, 4% chance on kill to get a warp charge is good for maintaining stacks but it does nothing to help your teammates, the third is good on higher difficulties when your brain burst doesn't kill most specials in 1 hit anymore and when multiple bosses per map are more common, but I think the aura will help the team and yourself more, I found myself in rough situations a lot because I couldn't get my ultimate back in time in hectic situations to not overheat.

Tier4:Kinetic shield will help you against the massive swarms of gunners on higher difficulties so you don't melt into a psyker puddle, Alternative top tier option: take Kinetic Deflection with a force sword with the trait that allows you to block bullets WITH YOUR MIND and become a shield Ogyn your Veterans can shoot past, the third trait is useless because you should always be quelling peril faster with your staff instead of your hands due to staff traits (except to 97% for brainburst spam) and you already move at normal speed with your staff.

Tier5:Without the free warp charges in tier 3, you will want the 10% chance to brain burst on any hit just for generating warp charges even if you just burst some poxwalker, the damage is welcome if it procs on a big boy 1 on 1, the third trait is useless because soulblaze is weak.

Tier6:25% faster charge and 50% less peril for brainbursts for 10 seconds gives you a lot more opportunity to pop brains, the other two I feel aren't worth removing your warp charges, quicken would be good for brainbursting if Kinetic barrage wasn't better, Ascendant blaze would be good for some specialized soulblaze build if once again, soulblaze wasn't so weak.

For weapons any of the staffs are great, fireball voidball staff is my current favorite, but chain lightning staff is top tier support for stunning elites and electrocuting anyone wearing armor, flamethrower staff gives up long range like in VT2 (though you got brainburst) but it'll be the best horde clear weapon if they nerf voidstrike, the conflag/explosion staff I haven't tried since the lower levels but I imagine it can scale well with the better stats on higher level staves.
I haven't used any guns on Psyker since I got the staves because why wouldn't I just play veteran instead? there aren't any feats that let you shoot mind-bullets and the 10% chance to headpop feat is on a 15 second cooldown so it won't break the game with a rapid fire lasgun.

Melee I'd go with a force sword mainly for the special moves like push/brainburst/quelling or a dagger for the mobility and great moveset, take whatever you like using but you will probably be camping in your staff the majority of the time.

This is a really nice mini-guide to psyker. I switched to this for difficulty 4, and while I love the random warp charges, the increased uptime for class ability is a life-saver.

I run the dagger, due to having a bleed stack one but mentally it is much straining to have both weapons for quelling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone else been getting held up at the loading/dropship screen lately? Kind of annoying. Feels new since the patch.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Does weapon level really matter as you're leveling up? I don't really want to waste money on getting a new eviscerator if this old one works fine.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Power level is a combination of the amount of stats distributed between the bars, and any perks and blessings add to the power total as well.

So theoretically you could have an early white that just has better base stats than a blue you picked up, but generally speaking if you're at least 2 levels up from when you picked up a weapon anything you find is gonna be an upgrade, especially if it's the exact same weapon type.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Does weapon level really matter as you're leveling up? I don't really want to waste money on getting a new eviscerator if this old one works fine.

AFAIK every weapon has a baseline damage value that is increased by the bars. Every item level you see on the vendor / equipment screen is a combination of all the bars put together. A level 30 weapon has longer bars than a level 1 one by design, so you kinda wanna upgrade when you can to reach those crucial breakpoints.

The gearing in this feels pretty bad, but im sure it will improve with the full release.

e: beaten but yeah, higher level = bigger bars = more goodness

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
For crowd control I’ve found myself preferring the normal chainsword over the eviscerator, mostly because how much faster attacks come out.

Possibly biased by my chainsword having +15% cleave on hit stacking 5 times. Thing is a hot knife through butter.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I think the level of new drops is determined by the highest level thing you own (don't have to be using it, just need to have it in your inventory) so you should periodically buy things that are 20+ points higher than whatever you currently have in order to keep the numbers pumping up. A bit like how it is in Destiny 2.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Broadly you're almost certainly going to end up replacing everything many times once you're 30 so I would probably recommend being fairly liberal with your normal currency and save your crafting mats if you wanna be frugal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Buy weapons to check if you like them while you're leveling imo, they're gonna be much more expensive at 30.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

For crowd control I’ve found myself preferring the normal chainsword over the eviscerator, mostly because how much faster attacks come out.

Possibly biased by my chainsword having +15% cleave on hit stacking 5 times. Thing is a hot knife through butter.

I found on my eviscerator for hordes that I want to alternate heavy and light attacks to make it more effective so you're getting a horizontal sweep with all your heavies.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone else been getting held up at the loading/dropship screen lately? Kind of annoying. Feels new since the patch.

Im pretty sure it just holds up the dropship until the slowest loader loads. So if you get someone that crashes or is playing on an Amiga 500 it can take ages. You can tell who it is because theyll be either replaced by a bot, or take way longer to start moving too. They need to add some kind of progress indicator to the load screen like DRG has; like have teh convict portraits on screen with a load bar or percentage or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Weapon traits (Blessings IIRC) are so much spicier in this one compared to VT, I can imagine some real fun stuff once people get to building their weapons.

I can also imagine the final difficulty being tailored for "perfect" gear. Probably would piss off a lot of more casual players, but eh, I'm fine with design like that as long as there's a tier but great but not perfectly-optimized gear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah, sustained fire only refreshes the ammo on the plasma gun, it doesn't reset your heat, counter fire seems like the go to option for that tier of skill then.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

toasterwarrior posted:

Weapon traits (Blessings IIRC) are so much spicier in this one compared to VT, I can imagine some real fun stuff once people get to building their weapons.

I can also imagine the final difficulty being tailored for "perfect" gear. Probably would piss off a lot of more casual players, but eh, I'm fine with design like that as long as there's a tier but great but not perfectly-optimized gear.

In V2 the highest difficulty level does require some amount of care with itemization, spec, and team comp, but I hear it's still puggable if everyone is on their game. At any rate the second-hardest difficulty is extremely forgiving about all that so you can play off-meta and suboptimally. I'm hoping it looks similar in Darktide.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the cursor when playing :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011

JBP posted:

I have that as an occasional bug, not an all the time thing, sorry. Only a restart fixes in that case though.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

JBP posted:

I've seen alt-tab in and out of the game, or alt-enter to go fullscreen/windowed, then alt-enter to go back as a fix.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

JBP posted:

is it the in-game cursor? pressing enter and bringing up chat makes it go away for me.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Chain axe is the best, actually.

At least the one I have is because it's +4 stamina and its light attacks rend and are armour piercing while it's heavies don't get stuck and are a serviceable sweep.

Think of it as a weapon made for having energy legs more often and being able to block way more

E: I've actually found that every weapon is good in its own way as long as you change how you play to account for the weapon.

Except the heavy sword, that thing is awful.

Serdain fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 26, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hemale in pain posted:

is it the in-game cursor? pressing enter and bringing up chat makes it go away for me.

It just comes back. No matter what I do it just comes back.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Which ranged weapon would you guys recommend for the Ogryn? I've been using the starting Kickback, but it performs really poorly against ranged enemies, especially when there are a lot of them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Phlegmish posted:

Which ranged weapon would you guys recommend for the Ogryn? I've been using the starting Kickback, but it performs really poorly against ranged enemies, especially when there are a lot of them.

might I interest you in a ripper

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I am absolutely loving the combat knife. Once I found out that charging the heavy stab while sprinting actually gives you a speed boost, I've just started sprinting at gunners instead of slowly pulling out my bolter lol.

The bolter is just so powerful, even with the half an hour long reload or switching to it so slowly. Haven't got a plasma gun yet, but I can't see using anything else for a while.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I hate all of the Ripper guns but they're probably the strictly best Ogryn option for ranged [thing] deletion. The twin-linked stubba is immensely satisfying but as you might expect the ammo economy isn't great and outside of about ten feet you need to be firing off tiny bursts or it'll eventually just make the bullets go into another dimension after you hold the trigger long enough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll give the Ripper Gun a try, thanks. Looks like I need a trust level of 14 to buy one, that'll give me something to work towards

As for his melee, I'm actually pretty happy with the Bully Club, but I don't know what the meta says

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 26, 2022

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I like the ripper on the Ogryn, feels great. Especially when you successfully track a mutant or dog running past you with the three round burst.

Best shooting feel in the game for me so far. Haven't levelled up enough to try all the options though.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Phlegmish posted:

I'll give the Ripper Gun a try, thanks. Looks like I need a trust level of 14 to buy one, that'll give me something to work towards

I bought one at level 4 or 5.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So the Marksman penance for four weak-spot hits with no misses during your F ability? Uh... insanely trivial because it counts against Beast of Nurgle.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Finally got a bolter, and uh

That ironsight is kinda terrible isn't it

On the plus side the store blessed me with this instead

Phlegmish posted:

As for his melee, I'm actually pretty happy with the Bully Club, but I don't know what the meta says

Rippergun should be available pretty early, they made some of the other weapons available around 10 or so too now. Grenadier gauntlet is great too since it allows you to deal with stuff at range, and specials, much easier

Meleewise I don't think theres really a meta other than Slab shield being a very common pick but I personally don't like it since the times I want to slowly wade into gunfire with a shield in front are pretty rare. The other options give you way more visibility and mobility in melee. Then again I havent played above Malice yet.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 26, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Must be bad RNG for me then, the only Ripper Gun available for me right now is locked behind trust level 14. Oh well, that's only two levels away.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having just hit 30 on Ogryn as the only class I've played in the beta, ranged weapon choices seem straightforward.

Grenade Gauntlet: Tired of armored targets and those pesky specials getting ignored by your teammates as they blast you? Grenade them. Bonus points if you like the bleed talent and just want to murder single targets high hp up close without having to use any actual grenades. Also using a high level one the higher bars of Blast Radius really let you CC entire groups of ranged minions at a distance with a single nade, it's fantastic.

Heavy Stubber: so you want to clear hordes and gun patrols? Here's your dakka, way more efficient at range than the ripper, and even just 2 bullets clipping Dredge shooters will gib them, with a couple more needed for Scabs. Has a long rear end reload to go with its huge rear end mag size, but tbh I'm not sure what others say about it being ammo inefficient, I've pretty much never run out of bullets. Not worth shooting Crushers with ever though, and the special attack might as well not exist.

Ripper: tbh I think this is a good intermediate gun till you get the heavy stubber if you want horde clear and to evaporate gun patrols asit sort of does both jobs of the weapons above in different, slightly less effective ways. Way less ammo efficient than the stubber but arguably comparable in terms of horde clearing but you won't be doing it nearly as far or for extended periods. Fine to suppress gun patrols with but you aren't gonna be clearing them out if they're 20m out or more, don't expect any significant kills till you get closer. You can't whip it out quite as often for literally every horde like you can with the stubber, but it's much better at killing high health targets and the special attack (especially with a unique blessing later on that gives it Rending) is great for apply bleed with the relevant feat on high health, high armor targets. If you want to be able to hold your own against gun patrols though, go with the stubber. Still think it's a good intermediate role between the above weapons.

Thumper: I need to buy one to try, haven't had a chance. Looks like a lot of fun and still pretty effective.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What is the magical correct number of worker threads to use for an i7-8700? (6 cores, 12 logical processors)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Stubber basically turns an Ogryn into the Heavy from TF2, it's probably my favourite of his guns, though the grenadier gauntlet is most likely better on the highest difficulties where deleting specials is key.
The melee on the gauntlet is so bad though, don't ever use it over a normal melee weapon if you can help it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Having just hit 30 on Ogryn as the only class I've played in the beta, ranged weapon choices seem straightforward.

Grenade Gauntlet: Tired of armored targets and those pesky specials getting ignored by your teammates as they blast you? Grenade them. Bonus points if you like the bleed talent and just want to murder single targets high hp up close without having to use any actual grenades. Also using a high level one the higher bars of Blast Radius really let you CC entire groups of ranged minions at a distance with a single nade, it's fantastic.

Heavy Stubber: so you want to clear hordes and gun patrols? Here's your dakka, way more efficient at range than the ripper, and even just 2 bullets clipping Dredge shooters will gib them, with a couple more needed for Scabs. Has a long rear end reload to go with its huge rear end mag size, but tbh I'm not sure what others say about it being ammo inefficient, I've pretty much never run out of bullets. Not worth shooting Crushers with ever though, and the special attack might as well not exist.

Ripper: tbh I think this is a good intermediate gun till you get the heavy stubber if you want horde clear and to evaporate gun patrols asit sort of does both jobs of the weapons above in different, slightly less effective ways. Way less ammo efficient than the stubber but arguably comparable in terms of horde clearing but you won't be doing it nearly as far or for extended periods. Fine to suppress gun patrols with but you aren't gonna be clearing them out if they're 20m out or more, don't expect any significant kills till you get closer. You can't whip it out quite as often for literally every horde like you can with the stubber, but it's much better at killing high health targets and the special attack (especially with a unique blessing later on that gives it Rending) is great for apply bleed with the relevant feat on high health, high armor targets. If you want to be able to hold your own against gun patrols though, go with the stubber. Still think it's a good intermediate role between the above weapons.

Thumper: I need to buy one to try, haven't had a chance. Looks like a lot of fun and still pretty effective.

Thanks for the write-up! I might actually give the Heavy Stubber a go then, I'm not too bothered about hordes (I use melee for that), but gun patrols specifically have been kicking my rear end with the Kickback.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What is the magical correct number of worker threads to use for an i7-8700? (6 cores, 12 logical processors)

Probably 6 but it's kind of hard to tell. High counts seem to cause problems, setting it to the number of physical cores generally seems to give the best performance from what I've tried. Game still kind of runs poorly no matter what even after upgrading from a 1070 to 3070 but lowering the worker threads at least made it playable. Hoping they do a lot of work on performance post-launch, or they have some kind of miracle tweak which will fix things between now and the official launch.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

What melee weapons are you using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Evil Kit posted:

To this I would add, for the benefit of babby Ogryns : that lovely shotgun we start with ?

First of all, it's not so lovely. Yes, it does take ages to reload. It is known. But up close, it murks EVERYTHING in a geyser of gore. And even at range, it makes most everyone fall on their rear end which saves collective bacons.
But you knew that much. Here's the big secret : that alt-fire melee swing ? That's the only real cleave thing you're going to have for... ever, maybe ? I'm not 100% sure, haven't tried every Ogryn melee weapon yet. And it's... actually really good ? It's a little slow, but it FUCKS UP hordes, especially if you swing it at head-height.

And sure, the Ripper does more damage more faster and gives you range... until it's empty. It takes glacial aeons to reload - hell it even slows down your movement while you're doing it. And until you do that, you're stuck with a one-target bayonet (which seems to pierce, so maybe you can do Stuff with proper fiddly positioning).
Me, I'd stick with the club-slash-shotty until unlocking Our Lord And Savior the twin-linked heavy stubber. Get yourself some melee weapon that's better'n the starter club (which is any, really) and you're good to go.