Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

therattle posted:

It looks decent. You’ll get better results for roughly the same effort if you use much less yeast (like 1/4 tsp) and let it rise overnight/12-16 hours, but as a basic bread it’ll be tasty enough, especially when fresh. I am just not sure how developed the gluten will be and hence how dense. It probably won’t have a light, open, airy crumb.

Also a novice but interested in this method. Would this be overnight on a room temperature countertop or in the refrigerator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Brioches for the Thanksgiving table.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Regular-rear end sourdough on the left, multigrain sourdough on the right. Lefty is slightly lopsided, but that's pizza stone baking for ya...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mercury Hat posted:

Also a novice but interested in this method. Would this be overnight on a room temperature countertop or in the refrigerator?

It’s the basic no knead method.
500g flour
375ml water (or until the dough comes together without too much effort)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry instant yeast
Mix
Cover with a wet towel
Leave for 12-16 hours on the counter (more if cold). It’ll at least double and go bubbly.
Shape
Allow to rise until proved (2-3 hours)
Score
Bake (various methods including placing into. Heated Dutch oven)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
some ok baguettes for thanksgiving, eaten with le rustique camembert which is my wife's favorite cheese and only available at Trader Joe's seasonally around winter (we had asked an employee a few years back when it disappeared). I've done better, but these were pretty serviceable. A very large and cold house makes things difficult, so I've got a shelf installed above a radiator where I proof my dough.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was the result of prepping the levain over night, letting the flour and water autolyse for an hour, adding the levain + salt, and something like fifteen slap-and-folds.

The only way I could get the thing to hold together at all was to plop it into a bowl and do Foodbod's stretch-and-fold method.

Ah then it looks fine.

The slap-and-folds are just to incorporate the levain and salt into the dough well, you then need to fold it every half hour, three times. By the end you will have a dough that holds together well, and you can let it rise another 6+ hours before shaping.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone got a good technique for bagels? I think I have a good recipe but I think my end results are denser/smaller than they need to be. Currently I mix the dough, give it a few stretches the previous evening, then in the morning part it out into rings, let them proof for 30 minutes to an hour, then boil and bake. I just cut the advised boil from 60 seconds a side to 30 and think it's an improvement, but I think there needs to be more and earlier proofing after shaping. I think some people shape quite soon after mixing and refrigerate the shaped bagels for up to a couple of days before boiling and baking. Does anyone have direct experience to recommend from?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The bageleliest bagels you can do involve a preferment, adding flour only and no more hydration, DME, and an overnight secondary ferment. You should do a float test to see if they are ready to boil. I want to say I'm basing that on Peter Reinhart?

I use lye but baked baking soda works well too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ishamael posted:

The slap-and-folds are just to incorporate the levain and salt into the dough well, you then need to fold it every half hour, three times. By the end you will have a dough that holds together well, and you can let it rise another 6+ hours before shaping.

My own experiments with high hydration dough have been kind of confirming I can't really avoid giving the dough frequent, but slight, attention in this style. I've tried some different stuff with kneading and being more involved less often and I just don't think I'm getting the shape with it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
When is a sourdough starter at its peak for mixing? At the height of it’s rise? Or after it’s spent from a rise?

I’ve seen recipes call for 24 hours after last feeding but others just say mature or some other ambiguous phrase.

Is it really just a, “do you want a quick rise? Or lots of sour notes?” Question.?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone got a good technique for bagels? I think I have a good recipe but I think my end results are denser/smaller than they need to be. Currently I mix the dough, give it a few stretches the previous evening, then in the morning part it out into rings, let them proof for 30 minutes to an hour, then boil and bake. I just cut the advised boil from 60 seconds a side to 30 and think it's an improvement, but I think there needs to be more and earlier proofing after shaping. I think some people shape quite soon after mixing and refrigerate the shaped bagels for up to a couple of days before boiling and baking. Does anyone have direct experience to recommend from?

I make bagels every month or so, and I use the Peter Reinhart method that Submarine Sandpaper mentioned. I don't have it handy, but it's a 2 hour preferment, then mix in the rest of the ingredients, divide, short rest, shape, short rest, then fridge until the next day. I can post quantities when I get home Sunday if you want. It makes the best bagels I've ever made.

Shaping also contributes to how dense they seem. Do you do the poke-a-hole-in-a-ball method, or the snake-and-loop? I find that I get much better results from the latter, and I include a trick from Cook's Illustrated where you add a twist to increase the tension on the outside. I usually boil a minute per side.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Murgos posted:

When is a sourdough starter at its peak for mixing? At the height of it’s rise? Or after it’s spent from a rise?

I’ve seen recipes call for 24 hours after last feeding but others just say mature or some other ambiguous phrase.

Is it really just a, “do you want a quick rise? Or lots of sour notes?” Question.?

Yeah, more of a quicker rise/sourness question. I usually make my sandwich loaves with starter straight from the fridge, a good week after feeding it last. Very tasty but can take like 16hrs to rise.

Latest loaf made with old starter just before feeding, deliciously sour:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RoastBeef posted:

Brioches for the Thanksgiving table.
Glorious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ishamael posted:

Ah then it looks fine.

Thank you. By "fold" do you mean fold it in 3, like for laminated doughs?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you. By "fold" do you mean fold it in 3, like for laminated doughs?

I use NSEW folds for mine, where you bring the bottom up to the top, then the top down to the bottom, then each side in.

It’s a gentle fold where you basically are just folding in half, four times. But you could do a coil fold or something similar instead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

you ate my cat posted:

I make bagels every month or so, and I use the Peter Reinhart method that Submarine Sandpaper mentioned. I don't have it handy, but it's a 2 hour preferment, then mix in the rest of the ingredients, divide, short rest, shape, short rest, then fridge until the next day. I can post quantities when I get home Sunday if you want. It makes the best bagels I've ever made.

Shaping also contributes to how dense they seem. Do you do the poke-a-hole-in-a-ball method, or the snake-and-loop? I find that I get much better results from the latter, and I include a trick from Cook's Illustrated where you add a twist to increase the tension on the outside. I usually boil a minute per side.

Thanks, I think I'm good for quantities, I can just use the recipe I have or look up Reinhart's. Between what you've given and a YT video I found I think I've got a lot to work with for a new batch. I was doing the thumb-through shaping yeah, which the video also recommended against. And yes I think part of the result this time is due to the short boil, so back to a minute a side for that. Will see if I can introduce some steam too.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I baked my first loaf of bread today! I needed something to eat with the rest of some Vietnamese beef stew and used this King Arthur no knead recipe but quartered: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting and thought it tasted great. I did notice that the bottom of the loaf looks kind of squished? It's not rubbery or anything, the texture is the same as the rest of the bread, so I don't think it's undercooked but maybe it is? Or did I not let it rise for long enough before baking?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Do people here tend to use the liners in their banneton or just the basket? I’ve recently switched to using just the (rice) floured basket after the liner got damaged, and I’ve been noticing that I tend to get cracks on the top of the loaf. This results in really uneven rises and ears because it basically has a bunch of little fail points on top when cooking.

Any tips?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I baked my first loaf of bread today! I needed something to eat with the rest of some Vietnamese beef stew and used this King Arthur no knead recipe but quartered: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting and thought it tasted great. I did notice that the bottom of the loaf looks kind of squished? It's not rubbery or anything, the texture is the same as the rest of the bread, so I don't think it's undercooked but maybe it is? Or did I not let it rise for long enough before baking?

30 mins is a bit short for a rest. I tend to do at least 2 hrs, it’s still cooking for a while after it’s out of the oven

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I use the banneton liner, because at this point, mine is completely saturated with flour, and is practically non-stick. The only thing I can think of that might be causing those failure points is that the dough might be sticking and tearing when you remove it? Not sure.

Get thee a new liner. Away.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dacap posted:

30 mins is a bit short for a rest. I tend to do at least 2 hrs, it’s still cooking for a while after it’s out of the oven

Wow, never would've thought to wait that long to cut into it but I'll give it a go. Even though it won't be warm :smith:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
On a slightly related note, anyone have recommended bannetons and liners? I think I’d prefer oval over round, although maybe both is good. There’s a ton of stuff on Amazon and I assume a lot of it must be crap, but maybe they’re fine?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Breadtopia is a good vendor and is not amazon!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I bought these and they've been doing good service for me. Recently I had to order more, and both of these get great reviews.

(Edit: No-name, Bread Bosses, and St. Germain bakery)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't use a liner. I kinda thought the liner was for keeping dust out if you don't plan to use it for a long time. My bread hasn't suffered from that I think, and has a fun spiral pattern.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

null_pointer posted:

I use the banneton liner, because at this point, mine is completely saturated with flour, and is practically non-stick. The only thing I can think of that might be causing those failure points is that the dough might be sticking and tearing when you remove it? Not sure.

Get thee a new liner. Away.

The bakery I used to work at the lady from the health dept. couldn't comprehend why we wanted the liners to be saturated with flour like that. She kept insisting we had to maschine wash them after each use.

We started hiding them when we'd see her car coming up the long driveway to the building and telling her we stopped using them.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I’m genuinely not sure what the cracks are then. They actually seem more like tiny folds/creases, so I wonder if the dough is getting too stretched when I stitch it in the banneton?

Also looking for feedback on improving my crumb. I’ve been finding it to be tighter than I want in general.

This about 73% hydration, all hard red bread flour, 20% starter.

Did 1 lamination and 3 sets of folds. Stitched the loaf in the banneton before fridging it. Total time from mix in of starter to fridge was 7 hrs with about 13 in the fridge.

Baked in a preheated dutch oven at 500 for 30 mins and 450 on the oven rack for 20ish to finish. Spritzed the loaf with water before each baking stage and had two ice cubes in the pot for steam.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Dacap posted:

Did 1 lamination and 3 sets of folds. Stitched the loaf in the banneton before fridging it. Total time from mix in of starter to fridge was 7 hrs with about 13 in the fridge.

Baked in a preheated dutch oven at 500 for 30 mins and 450 on the oven rack for 20ish to finish. Spritzed the loaf with water before each baking stage and had two ice cubes in the pot for steam.

Every time I have seen hard red flour it is a whole wheat flour. Is this whole wheat? If so, it will be trickier to get a really open crumb.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm getting an unpleasantly rubbery crumb from my long-rise breads. What might I be doing wrong?

Last 3-day loaf, 100% hydration, sourdough levain.

Loaf misshapen because I had to handle it too much to get it into the Romertopf.

Crumb

Wildly unsuccessful attempt at slashing. Can anybody give me slashing tips? Even when I use a brand-new razor straight out of the packet, the razor drags and tears a shaggy line through the dough. Should I be putting more force into the slash? Holding the razor at a different angle? (Right now, 90 degrees to the dough surface).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ishamael posted:

Every time I have seen hard red flour it is a whole wheat flour. Is this whole wheat? If so, it will be trickier to get a really open crumb.

It’s not whole wheat as it doesn’t contain the germ and is listed as a bread flour, separately from their whole wheat offering.

This isn’t the exact same one because I’m using flour from a fancy bulk store, but I’ve used this flour before and it’s comparable:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It might not be comparable. That posted flour has enough gluten for a good time. But let's assume there isn't a bunch of ruffage in your flour that would scratch up the gluten network, which would be your big concern. I looks like there's a swirl of bubbles in that loaf so I want to think that flour can do it.

"Flour from a fancy bulk store" is a lot of leeway. Say, Barton Springs Mill here in Austin has bulk over at Central Market, but it's still artisinal flour and there's a few things I try to do with it:

1. Make sure it's included with something that has a high gluten content or add my own.
2. Add roughly 5% more water.
3. Hydrate it much longer. That's just to make sure everything is getting to see the water.

You might just have to let it rise longer in the banneton. Like, you might as well get to comically overproofing to see what the dough can do if you have so much of it and you're committed to figuring out its personality.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Idk dude, seems quite dry for a 100% hydration loaf. I just did a 94%. Is it drying out in the fridge?

Otherwise you will not be able to score a poorly shaped loaf easily, you're breaking tension for a spring, but if you have no tension... you can dip the razor in flour or water to help.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I’m genuinely not sure what the cracks are then. They actually seem more like tiny folds/creases, so I wonder if the dough is getting too stretched when I stitch it in the banneton?

Also looking for feedback on improving my crumb. I’ve been finding it to be tighter than I want in general.

I'm not a bread professional or anything, but to me that's underproofed. You're getting a lot of oven spring which is causing tearing after the crust has set, and even then it's still a little dense. Maybe let it proof at room temp for a while before baking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wildly unsuccessful attempt at slashing. Can anybody give me slashing tips? Even when I use a brand-new razor straight out of the packet, the razor drags and tears a shaggy line through the dough. Should I be putting more force into the slash? Holding the razor at a different angle? (Right now, 90 degrees to the dough surface).

Before I bought a lame, I took a double edged shaving blade and ran the tip of a chopstick through the holes so it was attached to the chopstick and a little curved. That curve seems to be the key to not catching when slashing. I don't know why.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's been a while, but I made a hosed-up sourdough.

I think it's pretty overproofed, though I also added a bit more water than I wanted. I accidentally got it to a batter and had to throw a handful of flour back in so it wouldn't run through the banneton. Thankfully, I had decided to just use white flour (with some maize meal) so it still got a lot of lift. More lift than you'd expect from a pancake, anyway.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good resource for real dumb guys like me to learn how to handle high hydration doughs? I've read some stuff online, try to keep my hands wet, etc, but I still end up frustrated and covered in goo. After some resting and stretch and folds it becomes manageable, so it's the initial phases that I want to improve. I'm more used to bagel and sandwich loaf doughs and don't have much trouble with them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's practice OP. scraper helps a lot too.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The few videos I've watched of professional bread chefs making high hydration dough, on YouTube, have always had their hands covered in clumps. It just seems to be the way things are. Patience, perseverance, practice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
As far as I can tell you can't really fix that initial part. Wear gloves so clean-up is easier?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Just have a nail brush by your sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for real dumb guys like me to learn how to handle high hydration doughs? I've read some stuff online, try to keep my hands wet, etc, but I still end up frustrated and covered in goo. After some resting and stretch and folds it becomes manageable, so it's the initial phases that I want to improve. I'm more used to bagel and sandwich loaf doughs and don't have much trouble with them.

Goons With Spoons/ The Bread Thread - Frustrated and Covered In Goo