Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gunder posted:

If you go to a cafe, you'll generally get full-fat cow's milk used in milk drinks. I tend to use oat milk, as I don't drink dairy. I like Rebel Kitchen's Barista Mylk, as it steams and pours very similarly to cow's milk, and tastes good too. It's a blend of a few different plants, but the main ingredient is oat.

Edit: The reason cafes use full-fat milk is that higher-fat-content milk tends to taste better when steamed. It may also pour better? I'm not sure.

Full fat milk 100% pours better. I think a lot of latte art type places where I live even use the next level up milk, which is even higher fat content. It’s called barista or latte milk or something.

Low fat cow’s milk still pours pretty well but it’s a bit easier to separate the fat from the milk.

Can’t comment on oat, never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Tried an oat milk cappuccino the other day and was pleasently surprised; there's not that trace of funky animalic umami and the sweetness is of a different character, but the texture was spot on and the flavor not bad at all.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bandire posted:

I'm not entirely sure there's a consensus on how to make a cortado, but I usually do latte style foam in mine.

Original cortado: 1:1 with a single shot, no foam / texture

Modern you'll get in most shops is 1:2 or 1:3 with latte style foam

If they also sell a piccolo latte then you've a better chance of 1:1 or 1:2, since the piccolo is 1:3.5 or 1:4. The above was from when I cross-checked Epicurious, James Hoffmann, and European Coffee Trip.

I can make my notes pretty if anyone wants me to share!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BrianBoitano posted:

Original cortado: 1:1 with a single shot, no foam / texture

Modern you'll get in most shops is 1:2 or 1:3 with latte style foam

If they also sell a piccolo latte then you've a better chance of 1:1 or 1:2, since the piccolo is 1:3.5 or 1:4. The above was from when I cross-checked Epicurious, James Hoffmann, and European Coffee Trip.

I can make my notes pretty if anyone wants me to share!

I'm down for notes!

I've been a black coffee drinker and home roaster for so long that I'm not super interested in heavy milk drinks. I figure that I'll be mostly making straight shots, macchiato and cortados (using my nanofoamer for the "modern" cortado).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I'm down for notes!

I've been a black coffee drinker and home roaster for so long that I'm not super interested in heavy milk drinks. I figure that I'll be mostly making straight shots, macchiato and cortados (using my nanofoamer for the "modern" cortado).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93waR1jzoLA

Watch this. It has recipes and explanations for the most popular drinks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The drip machines recommended on page 1 are broken links or currently unavailable. What's the current hotness in drip coffee machines that aren't $200?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The drip machines recommended on page 1 are broken links or currently unavailable. What's the current hotness in drip coffee machines that aren't $200?

My friend, you’ve stumbled into the thread where most of us have $1000+ in coffee gear. $200 is pretty cheap at this point.

Jokes aside, Current hotness is still old hotness with a mochamaster, but that’s over $300

Technivorm Moccamaster 79112 KBT Coffee Brewer, 40 oz, Polished Silver https://a.co/d/ctBXKN8

Most enjoy the OXO 9 cup or 8 cup brewers for a sub $200 option.

Limited-time deal: OXO Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel https://a.co/d/6hkApeY

If you want cheap as hell, a V60 will get you great coffee for like $30, but you do really need a good grinder.

Where do you get your coffee, do you have a good grinder, and what kind of drinks do you typically like to make.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Anything from this page:
https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

The floor for a good drip brewer is around $200, maybe $150 on sale. Below that, pick whichever mr coffee or braun or hamilton beach you like the look of; cheap brewers all work the same and all perform equally badly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have one of the Bonavita drip machines, it is fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My friend, you’ve stumbled into the thread where most of us have $1000+ in coffee gear. $200 is pretty cheap at this point.

This makes me proud that I've been reading this thread about 3 years and am presently happy with £350 of gear. Sage Bambino Plus, Wilfa grinder, some cheap scale. Soon to change to £850 when I get a Niche Zero.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Just get an aeropress and a scale you freaks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

press so hard the beans pulverize

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I also have a Bambino Plus, but it's been nothing but frustrating lately. I thought I was really bad at dialing in a shot, but it turns out the machine (my individual unit, anyway) is just wildly inconsistent. I'll prepare two pucks the exact same way—same weight, grind setting, needle-tipped WDT and a spring-loaded tamper—and every shot after the first comes out way more restricted for some reason. Like, it's consistently inconsistent, always very ristretto on shots 2/3 to the point where sometimes a decently pulled first shot will lead to just a few drops coming out on subsequent ones.

I always make sure to run a blank first to preheat, so I'm not really sure what else I'm doing wrong. I could grind coarser after the first shot and/or forgo the saved setting and always pull manually, but it's clearly not how the machine was designed to be used. At this point I'm really ready to just shelve the machine and stick to my Kalita and Aeropress, because the frustration and all the wasted beans just aren't worth it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

I also have a Bambino Plus, but it's been nothing but frustrating lately. I thought I was really bad at dialing in a shot, but it turns out the machine (my individual unit, anyway) is just wildly inconsistent. I'll prepare two pucks the exact same way—same weight, grind setting, needle-tipped WDT and a spring-loaded tamper—and every shot after the first comes out way more restricted for some reason. Like, it's consistently inconsistent, always very ristretto on shots 2/3 to the point where sometimes a decently pulled first shot will lead to just a few drops coming out on subsequent ones.

I always make sure to run a blank first to preheat, so I'm not really sure what else I'm doing wrong. I could grind coarser after the first shot and/or forgo the saved setting and always pull manually, but it's clearly not how the machine was designed to be used. At this point I'm really ready to just shelve the machine and stick to my Kalita and Aeropress, because the frustration and all the wasted beans just aren't worth it.

What grinder are you using and how fresh are your beans? The pressure gauge isn’t great, but it does function, so what do you see pressure wise on the good shot vs the bad shots?

It’s not the saved setting. The saved setting saves water flow only (as in it’ll make sure only 2oz of water pass through, or 1.5oz, etc) so the setting vs manual doesn’t actually matter here.

I’m going to guess your issue is either

A.) you have a crappy grinder that’s incredibly inconsistent
B.) your grinder has a ton of retention, so when you dial finer you’re not clearing it well enough, causing your first shot to be a mix of corse and fine, and subsequent shots are all fine so they choke.
B.2) the retention issues cause you to have random weight of ground coffee (you put 16g in and get 14g grounds out first shot, than 18g grounds out second shot)
C.) your beans are too old and you won’t be able to get any consistency.
D.) (less likely) your shower screen is clogged as gently caress and you need to backflush/clean the shower screen.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

sellouts posted:

press so hard the beans pulverize

I wont begrudge anyone dropping $$$ on a grinder. I'd just like to offer up:

If you live near a shop with an ek43 or better, and you brew your coffee in anything other than an espresso machine, you're better off getting your coffee ground at the shop than doing it yourself at home.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GoodluckJonathan posted:

If you live near a shop with an ek43 or better, and you brew your coffee in anything other than an espresso machine, you're better off getting your coffee ground at the shop than doing it yourself at home.

If you buy your beans weekly at that shop, sure.

Letting coffee sit pre-ground for 2 weeks + is going to be gross. Realistically, after 2-3 days it’s gonna effect taste and such but most probably won’t notice that subtle a change.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What grinder are you using and how fresh are your beans? The pressure gauge isn’t great, but it does function, so what do you see pressure wise on the good shot vs the bad shots?

It’s not the saved setting. The saved setting saves water flow only (as in it’ll make sure only 2oz of water pass through, or 1.5oz, etc) so the setting vs manual doesn’t actually matter here.

I’m going to guess your issue is either

A.) you have a crappy grinder that’s incredibly inconsistent
B.) your grinder has a ton of retention, so when you dial finer you’re not clearing it well enough, causing your first shot to be a mix of corse and fine, and subsequent shots are all fine so they choke.
B.2) the retention issues cause you to have random weight of ground coffee (you put 16g in and get 14g grounds out first shot, than 18g grounds out second shot)
C.) your beans are too old and you won’t be able to get any consistency.
D.) (less likely) your shower screen is clogged as gently caress and you need to backflush/clean the shower screen.

I think you might be thinking of a different Breville/Sage machine, because there's no pressure gauge on the Bambino Plus. As for the grinder, I have a Kinu M47 hand grinder, which I've never heard anything bad about performance-wise, though I admit I haven't tested how consistent it is. Retention is another aspect I haven't really looked at, but might explain some of the shot inconsistency. That one should be easy enough to test by cleaning it out more thoroughly and grinding a few throwaway beans, though I'm not looking forward to making my espresso process even more complex by having to clean the grinder every time first.

The machine automatically signals when it needs a cleaning (both descaling and backflushing), but it wouldn't hurt to give it another cleaning cycle while I investigate. And I've tried both old beans and fresher ones, and have had trouble with both. Obviously fresher beans taste better, but does that really have much of an impact on shot consistency?

Thanks for the tips, and I'll definitely try them out, but it's really just highlighting to me how fussy espresso can be. I thought a semi-auto like the Bambino Plus would be a decent entry into the world of espresso, but I feel like I would've been better served with a more pared down manual machine like the Flair, though I would've needed a separate solution for frothing milk.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

404notfound posted:

what happens if you grind beans for two shots together, but pull the second shot first?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

I think you might be thinking of a different Breville/Sage machine, because there's no pressure gauge on the Bambino Plus. As for the grinder, I have a Kinu M47 hand grinder, which I've never heard anything bad about performance-wise, though I admit I haven't tested how consistent it is. Retention is another aspect I haven't really looked at, but might explain some of the shot inconsistency. That one should be easy enough to test by cleaning it out more thoroughly and grinding a few throwaway beans, though I'm not looking forward to making my espresso process even more complex by having to clean the grinder every time first.

The machine automatically signals when it needs a cleaning (both descaling and backflushing), but it wouldn't hurt to give it another cleaning cycle while I investigate. And I've tried both old beans and fresher ones, and have had trouble with both. Obviously fresher beans taste better, but does that really have much of an impact on shot consistency?

Thanks for the tips, and I'll definitely try them out, but it's really just highlighting to me how fussy espresso can be. I thought a semi-auto like the Bambino Plus would be a decent entry into the world of espresso, but I feel like I would've been better served with a more pared down manual machine like the Flair, though I would've needed a separate solution for frothing milk.

Apologies, about the gauge. It’s not actually important, but might have helped pinpoint the issue.

Espresso will always be incredibly fussy no matter how much you spend, outside of super-autos, but even with super-autos unless you’re spending like $3k+ you’ll just get ok results.

Outside of extreme budget machines, The machine is the least important part in all this. You’d very likely be experiencing the exact same woes with a flair.

Retention:

I suspect this is the issue. You do not need to clean out the grinder to fix retention issues.

Here’s how I would verify this as the issue. This will be easier on a shot that runs fast than one that chokes. You can test it in any range of like 36g/30sec to 60g/30sec, but they’ll be less close the bigger the ratio.

• Pick your grind setting
  • clear the grinder as much as possible with normal cranking
  • Run 10 gram coffee through (you can reduce this to 5g or less if you’ve verified this as the issue) and throw them out
  • grind your shot
  • weigh the grounds to verify what you put in is what you got out. Grind a bit more until you hit the correct weight of grounds.
  • use the stock tamper (see below in the tamper section)
  • without changing the grind setting, weigh the grounds out for 2 more shots at exactly the same grind setting (no need to run and throw away the 10g again). Make sure you notate shot time and shot weight so you can compare.

If they’re reasonably close, retention is your issue. If not, see below.

Beans:
Old beans can cause this issue, but new or old beans proves it’s probably not a bean issue. The only other thing could be unrested beans (basically roasted less than 10 days prior), but I very much don’t suspect this.

Grinder:
Your grinder is generally considered fine for espresso, so it’s not a quality grinder issue. What may be the case is the burrs are poorly aligned. If they are, you could have a super varied grind which could cause this issue.

I don’t actually suspect this to be the case, and you should investigate this as a last step as it’s a pain in the rear end to fix and you should rule out other stuff.

Tamper:

Your tamper could be poorly calibrated or not fit well. Do you still have the tamper the bambino came with? If you do, for your testing you should use it, and just tamp the absolute gently caress out of the coffee bed. You can not overtamp, but you can undertamp.

Cleaning:

My Breville yells at me like once a month to clean it, which is probably too infrequent. If you’ve done it in the last two weeks, it’s probably fine, although the shower screen may need a clean if you’ve never done it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Yeah no. What a pain in the rear end to do ~weekly to have old grounds for half a bag or more.

Just get a used encore or something for less than or around $100. Then you get fresh ground beans daily, it’s great for everything but espresso, and you can order nationwide and try a variety of stuff for at worst the same price as the local shop. Probably a buck or two cheaper if you can snag free shipping, which further amortizes the cost of the grinder which will last decades.

I’m very aware of diminishing returns but there is a point where spending a little bit will yield significant improvements. No one is saying you need a Niche or Monolith Flat Max.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

sellouts posted:

Yeah no. What a pain in the rear end to do ~weekly to have old grounds for half a bag or more.

Just get a used encore or something for less than or around $100. Then you get fresh ground beans daily, it’s great for everything but espresso, and you can order nationwide and try a variety of stuff for at worst the same price as the local shop. Probably a buck or two cheaper if you can snag free shipping, which further amortizes the cost of the grinder which will last decades.

I’m very aware of diminishing returns but there is a point where spending a little bit will yield significant improvements. No one is saying you need a Niche or Monolith Flat Max.

Encore is one of my favorite housewarming presents for exactly this reason.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Echoing what's already been said, pretty much every method noticeably benefits from grinding beans as needed. An inexpensive burr grinder is still worth the investment even for basic coffee.

I've never understood the people that have to have their coffee every day but treat it as a necessary evil. It doesn't have to taste like poo poo if you don't want it to.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Apologies, about the gauge. It’s not actually important, but might have helped pinpoint the issue.

Espresso will always be incredibly fussy no matter how much you spend, outside of super-autos, but even with super-autos unless you’re spending like $3k+ you’ll just get ok results.

Outside of extreme budget machines, The machine is the least important part in all this. You’d very likely be experiencing the exact same woes with a flair.

Retention:

I suspect this is the issue. You do not need to clean out the grinder to fix retention issues.

Here’s how I would verify this as the issue. This will be easier on a shot that runs fast than one that chokes. You can test it in any range of like 36g/30sec to 60g/30sec, but they’ll be less close the bigger the ratio.

• Pick your grind setting
  • clear the grinder as much as possible with normal cranking
  • Run 10 gram coffee through (you can reduce this to 5g or less if you’ve verified this as the issue) and throw them out
  • grind your shot
  • weigh the grounds to verify what you put in is what you got out. Grind a bit more until you hit the correct weight of grounds.
  • use the stock tamper (see below in the tamper section)
  • without changing the grind setting, weigh the grounds out for 2 more shots at exactly the same grind setting (no need to run and throw away the 10g again). Make sure you notate shot time and shot weight so you can compare.

If they’re reasonably close, retention is your issue. If not, see below.

Beans:
Old beans can cause this issue, but new or old beans proves it’s probably not a bean issue. The only other thing could be unrested beans (basically roasted less than 10 days prior), but I very much don’t suspect this.

Grinder:
Your grinder is generally considered fine for espresso, so it’s not a quality grinder issue. What may be the case is the burrs are poorly aligned. If they are, you could have a super varied grind which could cause this issue.

I don’t actually suspect this to be the case, and you should investigate this as a last step as it’s a pain in the rear end to fix and you should rule out other stuff.

Tamper:

Your tamper could be poorly calibrated or not fit well. Do you still have the tamper the bambino came with? If you do, for your testing you should use it, and just tamp the absolute gently caress out of the coffee bed. You can not overtamp, but you can undertamp.

Cleaning:

My Breville yells at me like once a month to clean it, which is probably too infrequent. If you’ve done it in the last two weeks, it’s probably fine, although the shower screen may need a clean if you’ve never done it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give these a shot once I get back home later :cheers:

hypnophant posted:

what happens if you grind beans for two shots together, but pull the second shot first?

You know, I actually did try grinding both shots back to back, but somehow it hadn't occurred to me to try this in particular :doh: That might be worth trying as well!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of grinders, the Gen1 Fellow Ode is down to $240 on amazon and through fellow (20% off the normal price).

ROJO fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

GoodluckJonathan posted:

For sure no. If you're not brewing espresso just buy a capresso infinity for $100 and be done with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Encore is one of my favorite housewarming presents for exactly this reason.

Great gift!

set it to like 18.5 for them and it’s set it and forget it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Do you guys actually use saucers on the regular?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Do you guys actually use saucers on the regular?

Lol no

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nwin posted:

Lol no

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tbf, I also slam my coffee and drink it black unless I do a cappuccino so I have no need to stir anything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nwin posted:

Tbf, I also slam my coffee and drink it black unless I do a cappuccino so I have no need to stir anything.

Same honestly saucers seem like an Instagram thing

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

kzmn posted:

Welp. My uncle got me hooked on homemade cappuccino while I've been visiting for Thanksgiving. I see the thread doesn't seem to have a high opinion of the super-automatic machines, but would a semi-automatic + automatic grinder be good enough for a beginner who is a little intimidated by the manual stuff? Also, any recommendations on what to get on a 5-600 budget?

edit: reading back through the thread I'm seeing a lot of praise for the 1zpresso manual grinders. I suppose I would be willing to give one of those a shot as well if people think they're really worth it.

Trip report. I ended up getting a Breville Smart Grinder + a Mr. Coffee Cappuccino Machine + some freshly roasted beans from a local shop and they are working great for my unrefined palette and general laziness.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone know the distance between the base of the robot and the bottom of the naked portafilter? The scale I'm getting is .75" tall and looking at one of those kruve propel glasses but they look pretty tall.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Does anyone know the distance between the base of the robot and the bottom of the naked portafilter? The scale I'm getting is .75" tall and looking at one of those kruve propel glasses but they look pretty tall.

Looks to be about 3 7/8”

Edit: another user on home barista said closer to 3.98” without the silicone base…I never have that base installed on mine. I flip it over and put it on the side and it’s a good holder for my tamper.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2022

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

sellouts posted:

Drink more coffee brother.

Google Butt posted:

For sure no. If you're not brewing espresso just buy a capresso infinity for $100 and be done with it.

Never heard of this. I see it has an "extremely wide grinding range from ultrafine Turkish to coarse for all kinds of coffee preparation" yet also only has 16 steps. Even assuming it produces a fairly decent grind distribution that is still terrible accuracy. Seems pretty bad!

Bandire posted:

An inexpensive burr grinder is still worth the investment even for basic coffee.

I've never understood the people that have to have their coffee every day but treat it as a necessary evil. It doesn't have to taste like poo poo if you don't want it to.

For basic coffee, sure. I'd argue it's a waste to send good coffee through a lovely burr grinder if there is literally any other option (such as a shop grinder).

If you buy your beans weekly at that shop, sure.

Letting coffee sit pre-ground for 2 weeks + is going to be gross. Realistically, after 2-3 days it’s gonna effect taste and such but most probably won’t notice that subtle a change.

Mostly agree with this. More than a week is when I tend to notice a major decline. Under a week though, and any loss of fidelity is more than made up for by the grind distribution an ek43 can deliver.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Pre-ground is objectively worse than using a capresso infinity or encore at the time of brewing (non espresso). You can easily modify the infinity making it stepless, I've been using the same small area of adjustment for years with my v60. You won't be using a wide range of grind settings for drip/pour over anyway.

http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/2009/04/modifying-capresso-infinity-for.html

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI it looks like amazon has a 20% off coupon for the 1ZPresso JX and JX Pro grinders today

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kaffelogic update:

quote:

Hello all backers

Great news, our shipment fo the new chaff collector is about to leave the factory via airfreight, so we are on target to start shipping our first block of machines to backers over the next 2 weeks. from then on it will be all hands on deck to complete shipping as quickly as we posbbly can.

To our first block of backers, we will be emailing you later next week to confirm your delivery addresses, expected shipping date etc. In the meantime please go into your Indiegogo account and update any address details if you have recently moved.

May thanks from the Kaffelogioc Team

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The espresso double shot recipe I always see passed around is 14 g grounds to make a 2 fl oz (60 ml) shot. But the water ratio ought to be 1:2, right? Isn't that recipe over twice as long as it should be?