Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Arson Daily posted:

I think that there is a market for a goldwing-like bike that doesn't start at $28,000 american dollars. I'm personally not one of those people but I can see Honda's reasoning there.

It's called a used Goldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Not gonna lie, my first thought on seeing those bags was great but now give me 3x the space, give me a trunk, and I think it ended at Goldwing

The bags on the current goldwings aren't much if any bigger than what they have on that Rebel, tbh. You can see how shallow they are in the pic below.

Slavvy posted:

Not to mention they already have the relatively popular goldwing bagger that actually hits the demo most bagger buyers are a part of.

I don't see a ton of the GW baggers rolling around here. I still like this take on one from a couple years back

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The F6B was the factory bagger option, it is discontinued, and I dont think it sold too well

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is sick

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The F6B was the factory bagger option, it is discontinued, and I dont think it sold too well

Aw. Predictable.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FBS posted:

It's called a used Goldwing.

:hmmyes:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

I think that there is a market for a goldwing-like bike that doesn't start at $28,000 american dollars. I'm personally not one of those people but I can see Honda's reasoning there.

Luckily Honda already built it, here you go
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nt1100/2022/

Same underpinning as AT, with touring suspension and luggage. All adjusted for comfort

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Same underpinning as AT, with touring suspension and luggage. All adjusted for comfort

Feels like there are way too many THINGS on this bike (5 driver modes, 500 screen settings, remote preload, bla bla bla)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All those things rule though.

Being able to pres butan and have firmer or softer suspension immediately is super nice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All those things rule though.

Until they break and are unfixable

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They're amazing while they're under warranty with dealer parts support. After the fact it's just another liability. See: 10+ year old luxury vehicles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno I used to have an 86 goldwing up until June of this year and the electronic preload worked front and rear on it still

My 02 goldwing has remote preload that still works fine 20 years later

I get what you’re saying, but some of it lasts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How much software does your goldwing have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s more firmware on an 02

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
custom built asic goes brrrr. It's not the asic that fails. It's where its tendrils reach into that takes a fat poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"I don't want a bike that might have a stepper motor in it that could fail in 20 years and not have replacement parts available"
*buys a different bike every few years*

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

"I don't want a bike that might have a stepper motor in it that could fail in 20 years and not have replacement parts available"
*buys a different bike every few years*

dentists.txt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably about half of the regulars in this forum would be able and willing to fabricate some sort of custom replacement stepper motor adapter and harness anyway. Nothing is ever totally irreparable.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Still no information on if it will be available in the US sadly. We tend to only get cruisers and goldwings.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BabelFish posted:

Still no information on if it will be available in the US sadly. We tend to only get cruisers and goldwings.
Honda is selling them faster than they can build them in Europe/Asia, so not until production outpaces demand. I have a standing order for one in the US. Currently own a TransAlp and nt700, this is the natural progression of things.

SocksAndSandals posted:

Feels like there are way too many THINGS on this bike (5 driver modes, 500 screen settings, remote preload, bla bla bla)
Are you confused about how motorcycles work in 2022? Because this is all standard equipment, once you're at a certain price range. Of all the complaints to make, that seems like the most inane

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 25, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Modern bikes are mostly dumb consumer garbage I agree

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

dentists.txt

Has anyone owned the same bike for, say, 10ish years (to pick an arbitrary longish number)? 5? Just curious if it's more normal than I think it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, but I’ve also owned between 60 and 70 bikes, so my use cases are generally far from normal

I’ve had my rv90 since pre-2010 and my f11-250 from about the same time and it’s been in my family since the mid 80’s or so

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I kept my first big bike (cbr600f) for 7 years. Then dropped it at a petrol station and have been on 1 bike a year since then. Due to the financial crisis and being on intermittent strike action this year and for at least the near future I’ll have to keep my current bike for a few years. Luckily it’s my favourite bike I’ve owned since the old cbr.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Are you confused about how motorcycles work in 2022? Because this is all standard equipment, once you're at a certain price range. Of all the complaints to make, that seems like the most inane

Actually yeah tbh....All my bikes are pre-2005 and the only post 2010+ one I have is an enduro with the most advanced feature being able to toggle ABS, the ability physically adjust the preload on the fly, and aftermarket heated grips

Actually the most advanced feature is wheelies

bike pic since this is the pics thread:

SocksAndSandals fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 25, 2022

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
If I was sitting on twenty five grand, I'd rather have a honda with heated seats that shits the bed after 300k miles than a barebones bike that can get to 400k after five engine rebuilds or whatever. Pretty sure 99% of car consumers feel similarly at peace about their luxury car that becomes prohibitively expensive to repair after 200k miles. Wrenchers are a small demographic who I respect a great deal, but they shouldn't be surprised that the industry's ignoring them.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Llewellyn posted:

If I was sitting on twenty five grand, I'd rather have a honda with heated seats that shits the bed after 300k miles than a barebones bike that can get to 400k after five engine rebuilds or whatever. Pretty sure 99% of car consumers feel similarly at peace about their luxury car that becomes prohibitively expensive to repair after 200k miles. Wrenchers are a small demographic who I respect a great deal, but they shouldn't be surprised that the industry's ignoring them.

Agreeing with this. There are plenty of good 10-20 year old bikes with none of the bells and whistles that will keep those interested in them going until we ban fossil fuels.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

Has anyone owned the same bike for, say, 10ish years (to pick an arbitrary longish number)? 5? Just curious if it's more normal than I think it is.

I had my XJ600 for 11 years. It was good, I really enjoyed riding it till the day I sold it. I just got more interested in dual sport stuff than street and had a new baby so couldn't justify having two bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SocksAndSandals posted:

Actually yeah tbh....All my bikes are pre-2005 and the only post 2010+ one I have is an enduro with the most advanced feature being able to toggle ABS, the ability physically adjust the preload on the fly, and aftermarket heated grips

Actually the most advanced feature is wheelies

bike pic since this is the pics thread:

This is all the features you need

Llewellyn posted:

You are drastically, drastically overestimating how long it takes for a luxury car to turn into a useless paperweight.

Oibignose posted:

until we ban fossil fuels.

Lol good one

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
I could easily get a Lexus to 200k but I guess I just love motor vehicles more than you?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well yeah obviously if you cherry-pick a Lexus, lol. Lexus is "what if you had a Toyota, but it didn't have to be built down to a cost?"

Try getting a luxury car built in any country other than Japan to 200k without a major catastrophe.

BMW lol
Mercedes lol
Audi lol
Jaguar lmao

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Italians

lmao

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

12 years for my Buell and 9 for my DRZ. But I'm a cheap weirdo

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bought my tiger as an ex-demo bike in early 2011 and it's been my only daily ride since then. 30k on it now and no major issues, which surprises me to this day because my 2004 Daytona was a total mess. I'd like abs and cruise control but gently caress a tft dash and an app on my phone. Plus idk where a lot of these new bikes exist other than reviewers garages because it seems like there is absolutely nothing to buy.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Well yeah obviously if you cherry-pick a Lexus, lol. Lexus is "what if you had a Toyota, but it didn't have to be built down to a cost?"

Try getting a luxury car built in any country other than Japan to 200k without a major catastrophe.

BMW lol
Mercedes lol
Audi lol
Jaguar lmao

This whole convo started with Honda, it's cherry-picking to use Jaguar to bolster an argument that fancy doodads somehow make a car/bike inherently unreliable. If Acura still exists (no way of knowing) I bet they make reliable cars too, and if Jaguar made an econobox I bet it would break down immediately.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acura is still in business though they aren't quite as far removed from Honda as Lexus is from Toyota.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Llewellyn posted:

I could easily get a Lexus to 200k but I guess I just love motor vehicles more than you?

Lol

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I've owned a '94 GN125 since 2012 and a '04 EX250 since 2017 as its backup. I've been riding since 2002, but the GN is the only motorcycle where I've gone through multiple sets of tires. When I was younger, I thought that it would be cool to shuffle ownership much more often, to try more stuff out, but that's just not as important as other things became. And nothing can really replace the EASE of such small, approachable motorcycles, both on the seat and off of it. Like, nothing is 232 lbs. any longer. Or has such a tight turning circle. Or is so simple to repair. Or has such good fuel economy. etc. Even the ninja gets 65 mpg (which is pretty ridiculous considering the performance jump between them). These are real assets to keep a complicated world from becoming too complicated.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Everyone should buy a new different bike every year just in case.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's always amazing how rapidly Americans manage to destroy German cars. I guess distances covered are less here but, yknow, people do also stick to the maintenance schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

It's always amazing how rapidly Americans manage to destroy German cars. I guess distances covered are less here but, yknow, people do also stick to the maintenance schedules.

Lol