Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

General Morden posted:

i thought the imperium exterminatus planets if there's even a hint of heresy, which given the amount of chaos infestation on tertium seems like something they would willingly do without hesitation

Depends on the value of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I can't remember which book(s) in the Black Library covers the subject, but the decision to use Exterminatus is scrutinised pretty heavily by the rest of the Inquisition, so it's not as simple as bing bong push the button. Even in the Grim Dark Future of the 41st ( I guess it's the 42nd now, I've not been good at keeping up ), Exterminatus has consequences.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So whats the max power level on an item? I got a ton of mats now and i want to create an orange but at the same time i don't wanna replace it because its power level 400 instead of 600.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
chainaxe could be the best weapon and i would hesitate to use it because my brain just utterly rejects the idea of a chainaxe making any sort of sense in how the physics are meant to work at all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
-edit- I have an updated version of this post here.

I play Ogryn pretty much exclusively, and this is based on my experience with 4*. I haven't tried 5 yet at all, but I do feel comfortable doing 4s in pugs at this point. I've also tested weapons in the psykanium a bunch; any specific claims about worse or better damage are based on psykanium testing against 4* and 5* enemies.

I feel like the main thing an Ogryn brings to the team is handling hordes. You're either the player on point, taking pressure for the team, or else you're focused on peeling enemies off of players who are overwhelmed. In a single mission, you're probably doing both, rotating back and forth. Your biggest specialty is being the guy who sees a mass of enemies and can plan to move into them, rather than giving ground and chipping at them as they advance. (This can be a trap, but it's good to have the option.)

I feel like heavy melee combos are a trap as you go up in difficulty. Even if they're more damage on paper and regenerate your toughness, they're lower overall uptime on staggering enemies, so you need to push more. So the enemies live longer, get more chances to sneak into a gap in your rotation, and it takes longer to move through a pack. Even with infinite toughness regeneration, you can't be taking melee damage all the time or you'll just die. There are ways to make heavies work, but I find they involve more opportunity to screw up and less damage overall.

My main melee weapon is the Bull Butcher Mk III Cleaver, the knife with a handguard and a blade that looks like a meat cleaver. (Butcher knife for short.) The attack rotation I use is light spam, since it's two broad horizontal swipes and one diagonal one. (For situations where heavies are advantageous for whatever reason, light-heavy-repeat is wide sweeps, with the heavy having a lot of stagger that pushes enemies to my right side.) This weapon and combo has exceptional cleave; while I can't prove it quantitatively, it feels the best plowing into a mass of both scab melee dudes or plain poxwalker zombies. It is, as far as I can tell, one of the best cleaving melee weapons in the entire game. It also has (AFAICT) best-in-class-for-ogryn damage on unarmored and unyielding (unarmored elite/boss, like dreg ragers) enemies while still having acceptable damage on flak armor. Between its stagger and its killing power, this weapon can handle a mass of horde enemies without needing to push except in situations where I explicitly need to make space to maneuver. Thus, its damage is better than even raw numbers might imply.

It isn't perfect. The push attack (block-hold attack, not the regular just push) is an unusably bad uppercut, it underpeforms on single targets with flak armor (mainly ragers), its heavy attacks are just serviceable, and your only option to deal with Crushers and Bulwarks from most angles is heavy attack spam. Light attack spam also doesn't usually chop dudes in half.

When I am dealing with a pack that contains only horde enemies, I'm spamming light attack and constantly dodging laterally, aiming to move to the edge of the mass and angle myself so I'm pushing enemies into the center of the mass. Ideally, if the party is at 6 o'clock and the pack is on the clock's axis, I want to be constantly positioning myself at 4 or 8 so I'm blocking less fire. Obviously this isn't possible in tight quarters but it's the ideal. I always want to be checking my back on the fourth or fifth swing, unless I know for a fact I'm against a wall or that someone has my back. (Nobody ever has your back.) Specials all get handled the same basic way as trash once you catch them, although a charged heavy is often handy against the dog or mutant.

When it comes to elites, Maulers can largely be handled the same way as horde trash. The main consideration is making sure that I dodge their overheads (because they generally will not be staggered out of the animation), and that I have room to dodge their overheads. A mauler or two in a pack of trash is not significantly harder than a lone mauler or a pack of pure trash. Shotgunners aren't hard to deal with as long as I'm hitting them continuously until they are dead.

What is dangerous are Ragers. Ragers exist chiefly to poo poo on this all-offense playstyle, and must be pushed and poked. Against multiple ragers, I am chiefly concerned with keeping them in the stagger from pushes and marking them for my team to help. It's possible to just tank the damage from ragers if you absolutely have to have them dead right now, but it's not wise. If ragers are in a pack of trash, I'm focused on pushing them and making space with them, while killing the rest of the pack. You can stagger loop a rager if you open with a charged heavy then land your next one just as the animation runs out, but the timing is touchy. I generally use my ult if ragers have to die right now, since they do die pretty quickly once they're on the ground.

Crushers and Bulwarks are a problem. Crushers are basically immune to the Butcher knife's light melee, and Bulwarks are only vulnerable to it in a narrow window directly behind them (or directly in front when they are stuck in animations and not blocking). Both of them are chipped down by heavy melee, which is mostly a last-resort option. Ogryn ult and grenade will stagger both of them (from all angles!), and some of the Ogryn ranged weapons can handle them, but really you're hoping literally any other class is on the ball and ready to handle them.

Reapers and Gunners largely aren't a problem as long as you can lay hands on them. Obviously, this is a challenge. I usually open with a heavy on reapers since their wristbands will deflect light attacks occasionally, but they really aren't so much of a threat at melee range that they need A Strategy. The main challenge is that you can't just bull rush them without your ult or intervening cover. Mainly I try to mark them and get out of their LOS or suppress them with my shooting, but really I'm relying on the group to be on the ball. If they're not on the ball, I hope they don't mind picking me up!

The Brute-Brainer Mk III Shovel slots into this playstyle just fine. It performs better against flak armor, slightly worse against unyielding flesh, and feels like it has worse cleave. It performs slightly better against carapace armor (which is still pretty badly), and has a cool push attack that's a wide swipe that pushes staggered enemies to your right side. The differences are so small that when I had a nicer shovel than butcher knife, I used the shovel. It even uses the same combos, although when you want to murder a single target, its heavy attack combo is better.

---

There is a separate playstyle for the Slab Shield. The slab shield has mostly inferior damage compared to any other option, and its attacks are slow and it seems to slow your movement. It has two main advantages to make up for that.

You can block shooting enemies in your forward arc in complete safety until your stamina runs out. This includes enemies with annoying knockback, like gunners, reapers, snipers, and both kinds of flamer. You can approach them in complete safety, or simply serve as mobile cover. As long as you're watching the angles and making sure you don't run out of stamina, you can even herd horde enemies with pushes (but not push attacks) while still blocking incoming fire. Note that the shield is not helpful if you're standing in a hazard, like fire or ooze, and it doesn't block any sort of explosion as far as I can tell. Enemies will generally stay fixated on you even though they're shooting your shield, and it's great for situations where cover is nonexistent or faraway. You always have the option to put the shield down and hope the rest of the team can handle things for you.

It also has a shitload of stagger. The heavy attacks have terrible damage but do a ton of stagger. The first attack sends enemies staggered forward, while the followup sends them to your left. The light melee is your main hordeclear tool, and does okay damage (AFAICT inferior to the shovel or butcher knife but better than most other weapons or other classes' weapons), and also has quite a bit of stagger. Light melee is also your main tool for killing single targets, and at best is only as good as the butcher knife but worse than the shovel (against flak) and worse than pretty much anything on unyielding. It's the only ogryn weapon that can actually damage carapace armor with light attacks, outperforming most other weapons' heavy spam by a large margin but not enough to clear crushers quickly.

Why don't I use it much? Ogryn ult can put you on top of most shooters immediately if that's where you need to be, and if that's where you need to be it's probably where you need to be right now. You will take some damage on the approach, but it's all toughness damage, and your ult is probably refilling your toughness somewhat anyway. I don't feel like being worse at your specialty of clearing hordes of dudes is worth being able to stand in a bad position and just get shot in safety. I don't think it's the wrong way to play, just a bad tradeoff overall.

---

What melee weapons don't I use at all? The "Brunt Special" Mk1 Bully Club really need to use a heavy-light rotation to clear trash, and I don't use that for the reasons I mentioned with the butcher knife. The pure light combo seems to have a dead space immediately in front of the Ogryn below the horizontal swings, which is only hit by the third swing in the combo. It requires more thinking constantly about the timing and order and placement of your attacks, but this isn't rewarded in any way. It's at best only about as good as the butcher knife for clearing hordes or tough unyielding enemies, and does worse damage than the shovel (albeit better stagger) on flak-armored enemies. If I had a really, really nice club, maybe I'd use that over the butcher knife and the shovel, but probably not.

The Krourk Mk VI Cleaver (which has a handguard and a chipped, curved blade) is oriented around heavy attack hordeclear, and uses light attacks to damage single targets except for carapace armor. I don't like heavies for hordes and the single-target damage is not great.

The Krourk Mk IV Cleaver (a stainless steel bowie knife with a grooved blade and with no handguard) looks extremely cool but just sucks. Both of its combos are mainly single-target strikes, but it's only about as good as the shovel or club for single-target damage. You're giving up almost all of your ability to clear hordes in return for nothing.

=====

When it comes to ranged weapons, ogryns have a high-level meta and a low-level meta.

The high-level meta for ogryn ranged weapons is suppression, either forcing enemies into cover or simply knocking them down. You are not a veteran nor are you a psyker. Outside of about 20-25m, your ability to quickly kill things with any weapon is fairly limited, so you want to get ranged enemies to stop attacking, with killing enemies out of cover or melee enemies approaching you as a largely secondary concern.

The heavy stubber is the most conventional option, and never the wrong choice. If you open up with the heavy stubber in the direction that enemy fire is coming from, you will stop them from shooting until you run out of bullets. This is reasonably effective at pretty much any range except for snipers at extreme range. You may not kill them; in fact, you probably will not unless you catch them out of cover or luck into headshots. But trash riflemen will all dash for cover and hide, while elites and specials will either take a ton of damage or get locked into stagger animations.

The staggers can actually be a problem when it comes to killing elites; gunners sprawled on their rear end aren't shooting but they're kind of a pain to actually hit. It also has a fairly long reload animation, during which time you're neither suppressing enemies nor running towards them. (You can walk but running interrupts reloads.) It has weaknesses but I do like the heavy stubber as the only ranged weapon in your arsenal that can be counted on to win a fight with a reaper one-on-one.

The heavy stubber, contrary to the "plinkplinkplink" sound report, is actually one of the best ogryn weapons in the game for killing crushers. It will keep them constantly in a loop of flinches, and is doing real damage. You're not as good as someone with a bolter or flamer or other dedicated hard target killing weapon of course, but you can actually do it in a pinch if you have a full magazine.

The Lorenz Mk VI Rumbler (which I erroneously called the Thumper in previous posts) is a single-shot grenade launcher that shoots the grenade like a bullet. It is a combination of a slug shotgun and a grenade launcher, and to get the most out of it you need to be taking advantage of both the impact damage and the explosion damage. For the impact damage, if you can place your shots, it has projectile drop but no damage dropoff, so you can bodyshot snipers from up to about 40m away (and depending on your gear, it will kill on 4*, and kill if the explosion also hits on 5*.) It also doesn't require you to stand out in the open and open up; you can dip in and out of cover as you take your potshots. It won't one-shot most other specials, though, even if the explosion lands perfectly on them.

This is the only explosive ogryn weapon where the explosions matter. The explosion does about 90% of the impact damage at the epicenter, then has significant damage dropoff. (The randomness of the grenade bounce means that the primary target may take an additional 25-90% of impact damage from the explosion.) Both the impact and the explosion have enough stagger to slow a horde or interrupt most elites, but not stop a poxburster or dog mid-pounce.

Speaking of which, the main disadvantage is that it can't really kill things quickly, right this second, unless it can one-shot them or catch them in the explosion. In particular, you'll need to headshot poxbursters to kill them in time, and its monstrosity damage is very underwhelming unless you have the blessing that makes your grenades stick to monstrosities. (And even then, it's not impressive.)

The Grenadier Gauntlet is better thought of as a revolver than a grenade launcher. All of the damage is concentrated in the initial target, with extreme falloff. (We're talking like 5-10 damage dealt to an enemy immediately adjacent.) The AOE is almost all stagger, which is helpful for knocking enemies down and stopping them from attacking, but generally it can only kill one target at a time. It is, IMO, strictly worse than the Rumbler for any application other than killing a specific target very quickly, like a poxburster or hound. The melee attacks are serviceable, better than most bayonets or pistol whips, but not something you'd use to kill anything but a single straggler enemy. The melee exposion is funny but does less damage than shooting the gun, so it's strictly a meme thing. This gun was great at lower levels but largely falls off as you need more than one or two shots to deal with a special or elite.

The ripper gun was great while leveling but the heavy stubber is basically the same gun with more range and better ammo efficiency. (There are different versions of the ripper gun but the only major difference is whether it shoots one shot or two on a snapshot.) The Knockback newbie shotgun is not useful for anything except at low levels.

=====

Feats! Ogryn feats are mostly low-impact on your actual playstyle. With a couple of exceptions (mainly Bullfighter and Non-Stop Violence), you can pick them at random and largely not notice worse performance overall.

tl;dr: I use 1-1/2-3-2/3-3-3.

At Tier 1, I find 1 (Lynchpin) is the best choice in general, since you can't ever hope to tank and outheal damage at 4* and higher no matter how you build. Regenning faster between fights and while taking cover is just more value. 2 (Smash 'Em Good) is a decent alternative since there are often stragglers to whack for a power up, and you can weave a heavy overhead in if you need a quick pickup, but it's not as good with the shield or Mk VI knife. 3 (Best Form of Defense) is only useful if you're spamming heavies, and you can't actually control the circumstances where it's useful as well.

Tier 2 is 1 (Heavyweight) for most situations. 2 has been buffed a lot, and now triggers on enemies with flak armor as well. Your grenade can be counted on to delete specials and elites that aren't ogryns and is your best bet against ogryn, and adding the grenades means you don't get behind on waveclear while doing so. Still, ogryns are everywhere at high levels, and reducing damage from them is a gamechanger. 3 is not great; the main enemies that live long enough to give you any benefit from this are ogryn and ragers.

Tier 3 is 3. No question. This is a ton of refresh for your ult, and the main things you want to ult on are elites anyway! 2 is negligible and 1 is a patch on playing badly.

Tier 4 is very disappointing overall. 2 (Hard as Nails) can help you clutch but probably not enough to save a bad situation, and 3 (Die Hard) is some regen but too unreliable to be very useful. 1 (Bloodthirst) looks amazing but isn't very good because even if you are spamming heavies, most things die too fast for you to benefit very much! It might be better in a party built around bleeds, but I don't know from personal experience.

Tier 5 is 3 (Raging Bull). It's just more damage all the time, and rewards cleaving through enemies, something you should be trying to do all the time. 1 (Payback Time) rewards you for playing badly, and 2 (Knife Through Butter) is useless since fully charging attacks takes forever.

Tier 6 is 3 (Non-Stop Violence). It's a toughness refresh, and can be a lot of toughness. (Don't get greedy and run into the middle of packs, though; either clip the edge or plan to go all the way through.) 2 (Unstoppable) is only good for doing your cosmetic penances and 1 (Bull Gore) is an enabler for Bloodthirst but I feel like it's still going to contribute less than Non-Stop Violence.

=====

BTW the main stat to look for on curios is +1 wound. More health and more toughness are nice too but yeah you're gonna go down at high levels, and reducing the amount of corruption it gives you is very strong.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 20, 2022

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Tiler Kiwi posted:

chainaxe could be the best weapon and i would hesitate to use it because my brain just utterly rejects the idea of a chainaxe making any sort of sense in how the physics are meant to work at all
They're pretty much real though. It's just an electric pole saw with a guard hiding the blade and back half of the chain.

This man just wants to trim the tree in your yard before the branches hit power lines. Why are you running away?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

ZombyDog posted:

I can't remember which book(s) in the Black Library covers the subject, but the decision to use Exterminatus is scrutinised pretty heavily by the rest of the Inquisition, so it's not as simple as bing bong push the button. Even in the Grim Dark Future of the 41st ( I guess it's the 42nd now, I've not been good at keeping up ), Exterminatus has consequences.

[brahms into voice] "it is the forty-first millennium"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

They're pretty much real though. It's just an electric pole saw with a guard hiding the blade and back half of the chain.

This man just wants to trim the tree in your yard before the branches hit power lines. Why are you running away?

chainsaw at end of long stick i can get, its the whole 'it has a heavy end you swing at something', cuz, it feels like you got the saw motion and the swing motion and theyre not exactly in alignment

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I play Ogryn pretty much exclusively,

I just want to say you are a hero because I tried Ogryn and the gameplay just didn't click with me, but having one on the team makes every mission so much easier.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

chainsaw at end of long stick i can get, its the whole 'it has a heavy end you swing at something', cuz, it feels like you got the saw motion and the swing motion and theyre not exactly in alignment

Warhammer 40k has always been what moody 14 year olds scribble in their math textbook pages.

Big blocky guns that fire rockets and swords that are also chainsaws etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm a very bouncy target

https://i.imgur.com/bVY9Bux.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tiler Kiwi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/5w0L0Gf.mp4

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

The Brute-Brainer Mk III Shovel slots into this playstyle just fine. It performs better against flak armor, slightly worse against unyielding flesh, and feels like it has worse cleave. It performs slightly better against carapace armor (which is still pretty badly), and has a cool push attack that's a wide swipe that pushes staggered enemies to your right side. The differences are so small that when I had a nicer shovel than butcher knife, I used the shovel. It even uses the same combos, although when you want to murder a single target, its heavy attack combo is better.

The shovel's special is a left hand punch that will absolutely ragdoll almost anything short of a boss, Crusher, or maybe a mutant. Reapers get knocked on their rear end, as do Bulwarks if you're not hitting them in the shield. Ragers and Maulers go flying. It doesn't do much damage, but if you want to knock somebody down it's great. Rager gets up in my face and I just punch it across the room.

The cleaver has a similar punch but in my experience it's not nearly as good at sending dudes flying. That may just be my weapon, though; my shovel is a lot better than my knife.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

General Morden posted:

i thought the imperium exterminatus planets if there's even a hint of heresy, which given the amount of chaos infestation on tertium seems like something they would willingly do without hesitation

Exterminatus is generally a last resort situation in spite of the memes, indeed Atoma Prime has a pretty mild incursion all things considered at the moment, only thing we've encountered that's outright demonic(rather than mutants/zombies like Plague Ogryns or Chaos Spawns) are the Beasts of Nurgle(well and also those robot bug things in the infection missions) and those things are pretty low tier as far as Chaos Demons go

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

thats just shaving

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
axe -> space barbarian
sword -> space barber

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Of all the complete insane nonsense that exists in 40k and it's the chainswords that you have an issue with?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

General Morden posted:

Nah. The Imperium is insane, but not *that* insane. Exterminatus is a last ditch, "this planet is utterly lost already and if we don't blow it to powder whatever's infested it that we evidently could not deal with is going to spread" measure.

Tertium is a hive of 90 billion people. Billions with a B. It doesn't really matter, in the grand scheme of things, if a billion of those are crazy rabid chaos worshippers (hell, Necromunda has a lot worse crawling in its depths). Nor does it matter if a workshift of ten thousand workers at the tank factory just got ripped to shreds by said chaos worshippers or caught a bad case of the Exploding Testes Filled With Pus Pox.
It's just a production hiccup.

Have a team flamethrower the lot, maybe clean up the bloodstains as a matter of courtesy, send in the next workshift. Problem solved for the day. The tanks must flow.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Disruption missions are back btw, in case anyone missed them the first time around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The full auto lasgun is really good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JBP posted:

My hope is to eventually put one together with a bunch of anti-flak stuff. I love the things and they’re not bad at flak by any means but it can take a split second longer than I’d like in a messy firefight if I’m not hitting heads 100%.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Plasma Gun is an awesome rail gun. The charged shot can melt larger specials or hordes rushing you. It is kind of a shame it has both ammo and heat, but you use such little ammo that heat is the primary concern.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Insert name here posted:

It absolutely does give more bars:

baseline

+2 stamina

+4 stamina

+6 stamina

Pretty sure it's like Vermintide where each "shield/bar" represents two stamina each.

Oh huh, Ogryn's start with so many more bars base it's honestly hard to tell. Maybe it caps? I'll need to test it out with curious in the Meat Grinder I guess, I had no idea other classes only started with 3 stamina bars.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To further muddle things it appears to be weapon dependent as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have a problem with the contract system in that it heavily incentivises you to play one character when a bit of the joy of Vermintide was effortlessly swapping and being able to open that high value chest and share crafting mats across all characters to boost them up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Interesting, I wonder if weapon blessings will be weapon type restricted. Found a combat knife with "Haymaker: Gain a 3% chance on heavy attack to insta-kill a human-sized enemy, stacks 5 times." Not terrible on a combat knife but it'd be much more interesting on other things.

Alchenar posted:

I have a problem with the contract system in that it heavily incentivises you to play one character when a bit of the joy of Vermintide was effortlessly swapping and being able to open that high value chest and share crafting mats across all characters to boost them up.

It's definitely the worst part of the live service stuff they've adapted so far.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 26, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

JBP posted:

Infernus perk on it is ridiculous.

https://i.imgur.com/lEUjCdg.mp4

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Orv posted:

Interesting, I wonder if weapon blessings will be weapon type restricted. Found a combat knife with "Haymaker: Gain a 3% chance on heavy attack to insta-kill a human-sized enemy, stacks 5 times." Not terrible on a combat knife but it'd be much more interesting on other things.

It's definitely the worst part of the live service stuff they've adapted so far.

We were wondering the exact same thing about that very trait on a knife last night.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaddish posted:

We were wondering the exact same thing about that very trait on a knife last night.

Yeah. Thinking more about it it seems special attacks count as heavy for the purposes of blessings and feats, I'll have to mess with this knife because hellpunching people to death would be extremely funny if things like Maulers and Ragers count.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Nah. The Imperium is insane, but not *that* insane. Exterminatus is a last ditch, "this planet is utterly lost already and if we don't blow it to powder whatever's infested it that we evidently could not deal with is going to spread" measure.
Yeah, the whole "The Imperium throws Exterminatus orders around like candy" is just a community meme in the same kind of flair that the only military tactics is the action movie version of a Stalingrad-esque human wave where every Guardsman have to climb over a mountain of corpses, while scavenging for a working flashlight rifle.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kobal2 posted:

Have a team flamethrower the lot, maybe clean up the bloodstains as a matter of courtesy, send in the next workshift. Problem solved for the day. The tanks must flow.

I heard a line from the tech priest the other day that the campaign the manufactorum is supporting projects 75% losses of Leman Russes. So yeah they're gonna want to keep churning those out. RIP to all those tank crews.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cease to Hope posted:

I play Ogryn pretty much exclusively, and this is based on my experience with 4*. I haven't tried 5 yet at all, but I do feel comfortable doing 4s in pugs at this point. I've also tested weapons in the psykanium a bunch; any specific claims about worse or better damage are based on psykanium testing against 4* and 5* enemies.

I feel like the main thing an Ogryn brings to the team is handling hordes. You're either the player on point, taking pressure for the team, or else you're focused on peeling enemies off of players who are overwhelmed. In a single mission, you're probably doing both, rotating back and forth. Your biggest specialty is being the guy who sees a mass of enemies and can plan to move into them, rather than giving ground and chipping at them as they advance. (This can be a trap, but it's good to have the option.)

I feel like heavy melee combos are a trap as you go up in difficulty. Even if they're more damage on paper and regenerate your toughness, they're lower overall uptime on staggering enemies, so you need to push more. So the enemies live longer, get more chances to sneak into a gap in your rotation, and it takes longer to move through a pack. Even with infinite toughness regeneration, you can't be taking melee damage all the time or you'll just die. There are ways to make heavies work, but I find they involve more opportunity to screw up and less damage overall.

My main melee weapon is the Bull Butcher Mk III Cleaver, the knife with a handguard and a blade that looks like a meat cleaver. (Butcher knife for short.) The attack rotation I use is light spam, since it's two broad horizontal swipes and one diagonal one. (For situations where heavies are advantageous for whatever reason, light-heavy-repeat is wide sweeps, with the heavy having a lot of stagger that pushes enemies to my right side.) This weapon and combo has exceptional cleave; while I can't prove it quantitatively, it feels the best plowing into a mass of both scab melee dudes or plain poxwalker zombies. It is, as far as I can tell, one of the best cleaving melee weapons in the entire game. It also has (AFAICT) best-in-class-for-ogryn damage on unarmored and unyielding (unarmored elite/boss, like dreg ragers) enemies while still having acceptable damage on flak armor. Between its stagger and its killing power, this weapon can handle a mass of horde enemies without needing to push except in situations where I explicitly need to make space to maneuver. Thus, its damage is better than even raw numbers might imply.

It isn't perfect. The push attack (block-hold attack, not the regular just push) is an unusably bad uppercut, it underpeforms on single targets with flak armor (mainly ragers), its heavy attacks are just serviceable, and your only option to deal with Crushers and Bulwarks from most angles is heavy attack spam. Light attack spam also doesn't usually chop dudes in half.

When I am dealing with a pack that contains only horde enemies, I'm spamming light attack and constantly dodging laterally, aiming to move to the edge of the mass and angle myself so I'm pushing enemies into the center of the mass. Ideally, if the party is at 6 o'clock and the pack is on the clock's axis, I want to be constantly positioning myself at 4 or 8 so I'm blocking less fire. Obviously this isn't possible in tight quarters but it's the ideal. I always want to be checking my back on the fourth or fifth swing, unless I know for a fact I'm against a wall or that someone has my back. (Nobody ever has your back.) Specials all get handled the same basic way as trash once you catch them, although a charged heavy is often handy against the dog or mutant.

When it comes to elites, Maulers can largely be handled the same way as horde trash. The main consideration is making sure that I dodge their overheads (because they generally will not be staggered out of the animation), and that I have room to dodge their overheads. A mauler or two in a pack of trash is not significantly harder than a lone mauler or a pack of pure trash. Shotgunners aren't hard to deal with as long as I'm hitting them continuously until they are dead.

What is dangerous are Ragers. Ragers exist chiefly to poo poo on this all-offense playstyle, and must be pushed and poked. Against multiple ragers, I am chiefly concerned with keeping them in the stagger from pushes and marking them for my team to help. It's possible to just tank the damage from ragers if you absolutely have to have them dead right now, but it's not wise. If ragers are in a pack of trash, I'm focused on pushing them and making space with them, while killing the rest of the pack. You can stagger loop a rager if you open with a charged heavy then land your next one just as the animation runs out, but the timing is touchy. I generally use my ult if ragers have to die right now, since they do die pretty quickly once they're on the ground.

Crushers and Bulwarks are a problem. Crushers are basically immune to the Butcher knife's light melee, and Bulwarks are only vulnerable to it in a narrow window directly behind them (or directly in front when they are stuck in animations and not blocking). Both of them are chipped down by heavy melee, which is mostly a last-resort option. Ogryn ult and grenade will stagger both of them (from all angles!), and some of the Ogryn ranged weapons can handle them, but really you're hoping literally any other class is on the ball and ready to handle them.

Reapers and Gunners largely aren't a problem as long as you can lay hands on them. Obviously, this is a challenge. I usually open with a heavy on reapers since their wristbands will deflect light attacks occasionally, but they really aren't so much of a threat at melee range that they need A Strategy. The main challenge is that you can't just bull rush them without your ult or intervening cover. Mainly I try to mark them and get out of their LOS or suppress them with my shooting, but really I'm relying on the group to be on the ball. If they're not on the ball, I hope they don't mind picking me up!

---

There is a separate playstyle for the Slab Shield. The slab shield has mostly inferior damage compared to any other option, and its attacks are slow and it seems to slow your movement. It has two main advantages to make up for that.

You can block shooting enemies in your forward arc in complete safety until your stamina runs out. This includes enemies with annoying knockback, like gunners, reapers, snipers, and both kinds of flamer. You can approach them in complete safety, or simply serve as mobile cover. As long as you're watching the angles and making sure you don't run out of stamina, you can even herd horde enemies with pushes (but not push attacks) while still blocking incoming fire. Note that the shield is not helpful if you're standing in a hazard, like fire or ooze, and it doesn't block any sort of explosion as far as I can tell. Enemies will generally stay fixated on you even though they're shooting your shield, and it's great for situations where cover is nonexistent or faraway. You always have the option to put the shield down and hope the rest of the team can handle things for you.

It also has a shitload of stagger. The heavy attacks have terrible damage but do a ton of stagger. The first attack sends enemies staggered forward, while the followup sends them to your left. The light melee is your main hordeclear tool, and does okay damage (AFAICT inferior to the shovel or butcher knife but better than most other weapons or other classes' weapons), and also has quite a bit of stagger. Light melee is also your main tool for killing single targets, and at best is only as good as the butcher knife but worse than the shovel (against flak) and worse than pretty much anything on unyielding. It's the only ogryn weapon that can actually damage carapace armor with light attacks, outperforming most other weapons' heavy spam by a large margin but not enough to clear crushers quickly.

Why don't I use it much? Ogryn ult can put you on top of most shooters immediately if that's where you need to be, and if that's where you need to be it's probably where you need to be right now. You will take some damage on the approach, but it's all toughness damage, and your ult is probably refilling your toughness somewhat anyway. I don't feel like being worse at your specialty of clearing hordes of dudes is worth being able to stand in a bad position and just get shot in safety. I don't think it's the wrong way to play, just a bad tradeoff overall.

---

What melee weapons don't I use at all? The "Brunt Special" Mk1 Bully Club really need to use a heavy-light rotation to clear trash, and I don't use that for the reasons I mentioned with the butcher knife. The pure light combo seems to have a dead space immediately in front of the Ogryn below the horizontal swings, which is only hit by the third swing in the combo. It requires more thinking constantly about the timing and order and placement of your attacks, but this isn't rewarded in any way. It's at best only about as good as the butcher knife for clearing hordes or tough unyielding enemies, and does worse damage than the shovel (albeit better stagger) on flak-armored enemies. If I had a really, really nice club, maybe I'd use that over the butcher knife and the shovel, but probably not.

The Krourk Mk VI Cleaver (which has a handguard and a chipped, curved blade) is oriented around heavy attack hordeclear, and uses light attacks to damage single targets except for carapace armor. I don't like heavies for hordes and the single-target damage is not great.

The Krourk Mk IV Cleaver (a stainless steel bowie knife with a grooved blade and with no handguard) looks extremely cool but just sucks. Both of its combos are mainly single-target strikes, but it's only about as good as the shovel or club for single-target damage. You're giving up almost all of your ability to clear hordes in return for nothing.

=====

When it comes to ranged weapons, ogryns have a high-level meta and a low-level meta.

The high-level meta for ogryn ranged weapons is suppression, either forcing enemies into cover or simply knocking them down. You are not a veteran nor are you a psyker. Outside of about 20-25m, your ability to quickly kill things with any weapon is fairly limited, so you want to get ranged enemies to stop attacking, with killing enemies out of cover or melee enemies approaching you as a largely secondary concern.

The heavy stubber is the most conventional option, and never the wrong choice. If you open up with the heavy stubber in the direction that enemy fire is coming from, you will stop them from shooting until you run out of bullets. This is reasonably effective at pretty much any range except for snipers at extreme range. You may not kill them; in fact, you probably will not unless you catch them out of cover or luck into headshots. But trash riflemen will all dash for cover and hide, while elites and specials will either take a ton of damage or get locked into stagger animations.

The staggers can actually be a problem when it comes to killing elites; gunners sprawled on their rear end aren't shooting but they're kind of a pain to actually hit. It also has a fairly long reload animation, during which time you're neither suppressing enemies nor running towards them. (You can walk but running interrupts reloads.) It has weaknesses but I do like the heavy stubber as the only ranged weapon in your arsenal that can be counted on to win a fight with a reaper one-on-one.

The Lorenz Mk VI Rumbler (which I erroneously called the Thumper in previous posts) is a single-shot grenade launcher that shoots the grenade like a bullet. It is a combination of a slug shotgun and a grenade launcher, and to get the most out of it you need to be taking advantage of both the impact damage and the explosion damage. For the impact damage, if you can place your shots, it has projectile drop but no damage dropoff, so you can bodyshot snipers from up to about 40m away (and depending on your gear, it will kill on 4*, and kill if the explosion also hits on 5*.) It also doesn't require you to stand out in the open and open up; you can dip in and out of cover as you take your potshots. It won't one-shot most other specials, though, even if the explosion lands perfectly on them.

This is the only explosive ogryn weapon where the explosions matter. The explosion does about 90% of the impact damage at the epicenter, then has significant damage dropoff. (The randomness of the grenade bounce means that the primary target may take an additional 25-90% of impact damage from the explosion.) Both the impact and the explosion have enough stagger to slow a horde or interrupt most elites, but not stop a poxburster or dog mid-pounce.

Speaking of which, the main disadvantage is that it can't really kill things right now unless it can one-shot them or catch them in the explosion. In particular, you'll need to headshot poxbursters to kill them in time, and its monstrosity damage is very underwhelming unless you have the blessing that makes your grenades stick to monstrosities. (And even then, it's not impressive.)

The Grenadier Gauntlet is better thought of as a revolver than a grenade launcher. All of the damage is concentrated in the initial target, with extreme falloff. (We're talking like 5-10 damage dealt to an enemy immediately adjacent.) The AOE is almost all stagger, which is helpful for knocking enemies down and stopping them from attacking, but generally it can only kill one target at a time. It is, IMO, strictly worse than the Rumbler for any application other than killing a specific target very quickly, like a poxburster or hound. The melee attacks are serviceable, better than most bayonets or pistol whips, but not something you'd use to kill anything but a single straggler enemy. The melee exposion is funny but does less damage than shooting the gun, so it's strictly a meme thing. This gun was great at lower levels but largely falls off as you need more than one or two shots to deal with a special or elite.

The ripper gun was great while leveling but the heavy stubber is basically the same gun with more range and better ammo efficiency. (There are different versions of the ripper gun but the only major difference is whether it shoots one shot or two on a snapshot.) The Knockback newbie shotgun is not useful for anything except at low levels.

=====

Feats! Ogryn feats are mostly low-impact on your actual playstyle. With a couple of exceptions (mainly Bullfighter and Non-Stop Violence), you can pick them at random and largely not notice worse performance overall.

tl;dr: I use 1-1/2-3-2/3-3-3.

At Tier 1, I find 1 (Lynchpin) is the best choice in general, since you can't ever hope to tank and outheal damage at 4* and higher no matter how you build. Regenning faster between fights and while taking cover is just more value. 2 (Smash 'Em Good) is a decent alternative since there are often stragglers to whack for a power up, and you can weave a heavy overhead in if you need a quick pickup, but it's not as good with the shield or Mk VI knife. 3 (Best Form of Defense) is only useful if you're spamming heavies, and you can't actually control the circumstances where it's useful as well.

Tier 2 is 1 (Heavyweight) for most situations. 2 has been buffed a lot, and now triggers on enemies with flak armor as well. Your grenade can be counted on to delete specials and elites that aren't ogryns and is your best bet against ogryn, and adding the grenades means you don't get behind on waveclear while doing so. Still, ogryns are everywhere at high levels, and reducing damage from them is a gamechanger. 3 is not great; the main enemies that live long enough to give you any benefit from this are ogryn and ragers.

Tier 3 is 3. No question. This is a ton of refresh for your ult, and the main things you want to ult on are elites anyway! 2 is negligible and 1 is a patch on playing badly.

Tier 4 is very disappointing overall. 2 (Hard as Nails) can help you clutch but probably not enough to save a bad situation, and 3 (Die Hard) is some regen but too unreliable to be very useful. 1 (Bloodthirst) looks amazing but isn't very good because even if you are spamming heavies, most things die too fast for you to benefit very much! It might be better in a party built around bleeds, but I don't know from personal experience.

Tier 5 is 3 (Raging Bull). It's just more damage all the time, and rewards cleaving through enemies, something you should be trying to do all the time. 1 (Payback Time) rewards you for playing badly, and 2 (Knife Through Butter) is useless since fully charging attacks takes forever.

Tier 6 is 3 (Non-Stop Violence). It's a toughness refresh, and can be a lot of toughness. (Don't get greedy and run into the middle of packs, though; either clip the edge or plan to go all the way through.) 2 (Unstoppable) is only good for doing your cosmetic penances and 1 (Bull Gore) is an enabler for Bloodthirst but I feel like it's still going to contribute less than Non-Stop Violence.

=====

BTW the main stat to look for on curios is +1 wound. More health and more toughness are nice too but yeah you're gonna go down at high levels, and reducing the amount of corruption it gives you is very strong.

This genuinely solidifies my thoughts on the feats and weapons Ogryn get as well. Only a couple of actually interesting ones, even fewer actually strong choices and the rest are gimmicks or trash. Sad to hear the grenade gauntlet falls off but it does kinda make sense.

I feel like paired with a Vet that has the grenade return % chance per elite killed is probably the best synergy for Ogryn by far of you want to take the grenade case explodes feat but man the fact it's on an entire separate class just sucks.

I dunno, Ogryn is hella fun and will probably be my main but fatshark need to do some work to make the feats more interesting so there's some better play styles within the class.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Steezo posted:

Got a chainsword on my veteran.

Lol chainsword go brrrr.

It is so satisfying.

I got my first babby chainsword at 30 on psyker — a chainsword that makes me run faster for 3 seconds after it’s revved

You can bet your rear end we lost some missions because NO TIME FOR HEAD POPPIN BRRRRRRRRRR GOTTA GO FAST BRRR BRRR BRRRRRRR

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What are Terrors? I need to finish Purgator 4 and 5 for "Cleanse the Taint" (lol).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What are Terrors? I need to finish Purgator 4 and 5 for "Cleanse the Taint" (lol).

I'm not sure, actually. The icon for the penance shows a crowd of just dudes but I have Purgator 4, Purgator 5 requires 25,000 Terrors and I have the 40,000 kills achievement. I wonder if it's counting individual versus team there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd almost think the AI knows what specials to spawn in what situations after playing with 3 Ogyns and having to countersnipe about 2 dozen snipers trying to pick off the Ogyns constantly.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
So for the Zealot's "finish a Heresy+ mission within 10 minutes on 1 wound for 75% of it" penance - turns out that failing a mission also counts as finishing it, so you can just cheese it by letting yourself go down ASAP and then hanging out in the starting area. If you time your death right you'll unlock it on the "You have failed the emperor" screen.
You might need to have 3 wounds for this though. I did it with another Zealot and while they didn't get the achievement I did with my extra wound. Although it could've simply been a timing issue as well come to think of it.

If you don't want to bother other people with this, queue on a mission that's just about to end - you'll likely only encounter other Zealots that are trying to cheese it.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, a good blue MK12 lasgun was on sale for my Zealot and I figured I should give it a try. Turns out it probably is the best overall, safe pick for either Veteran or Zealot IMO: ammo-efficient, powerful, perfectly accurate, good sights, and does good damage against every target type save carapace, which your high-tier melee weapon usually handles. Shotguns and to a lesser extent revolvers are my preferred guns for Zealot due to quick swap responsiveness, but an MK12 never leaves me feeling helpless in the vast majority of engagements.
Yeah I've been trying various autoguns to see if they can replace my trusty Mg XII, and while some come close they're all much worse in ammo efficiency. It's by far the most reliable special killer, for the Zealot at least.

Edit: Also the desert map is back, cool

Exodee fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 26, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they adjust some of the weeklies. Doing the secondary objectives on specific maps is not good at all.

Exodee posted:

So for the Zealot's "finish a Heresy+ mission within 10 minutes on 1 wound for 75% of it" penance - turns out that failing a mission also counts as finishing it, so you can just cheese it by letting yourself go down ASAP and then hanging out in the starting area. If you time your death right you'll unlock it on the "You have failed the emperor" screen.
You might need to have 3 wounds for this though. I did it with another Zealot and while they didn't get the achievement I did with my extra wound. Although it could've simply been a timing issue as well come to think of it.

If you don't want to bother other people with this, queue on a mission that's just about to end - you'll likely only encounter other Zealots that are trying to cheese it.

Yeah, I heard about this and may try it. Some of these penances are really ridiculous and I hope they tone them down a little bit.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 26, 2022

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Exodee posted:

Yeah I've been trying various autoguns to see if they can replace my trusty Mg XII, and while some come close they're all much worse in ammo efficiency. It's by far the most reliable special killer, for the Zealot at least.

Edit: Also the desert map is back, cool

my friend got it with only 2 wounds. could just be the other zealot wasn't at 1 wound for long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is there a resource for what the hell different weapon special attacks actually do because I've got an axe with "special melee attack" that is just an underhand swing that doesn't appear to do anything different