Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

therobit posted:

I can’t wait for whatever the next chapter will be in the telenovela about a billionaire making decisions so stupid that the actually affect how much wealth he has.

Brewster's Billions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Anyone can post a thread

Nah permabanned users aren't allowed to post, but I know a certain billionaire who can bring free speech back to somethingawful and I bet he could have it for less than half of what he spent on twitter

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Musk's three successful companies had one thing in common: They were all doing something risky that everyone knew would happen sooner or later, but where all the big established market forces were too complacent/scared to approach it(bank transfers through the internet/attractive electric mid-class luxury sedans for bougies with disposable income/vertical propulsive landing of spent rocket stages). Phones don't really fit into that pattern. It's a saturated market with little true innovation. You know what fits perfectly though? Fascism. I think that's what he is going to do next.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

GABA ghoul posted:

Musk's three successful companies had one thing in common: They were all doing something risky that everyone knew would happen sooner or later, but where all the big established market forces were too complacent/scared to approach it(bank transfers through the internet/attractive electric mid-class luxury sedans for bougies with disposable income/vertical propulsive landing of spent rocket stages). Phones don't really fit into that pattern. It's a saturated market with little true innovation. You know what fits perfectly though? Fascism. I think that's what he is going to do next.

you forgot a second point all three of those companies have in common: they have competent people at some level of management, and they and their underlings do all the work and protect the company from him.

lol the Tesla guys are still loving seething about getting kicked out of their own company and him calling himself the founder and the engineer who brought them to market, but they aren't really legally allowed to talk about it

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 26, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SRQ posted:

Twitter still exists and the laughs are slowing down. In fact I laughed about Ye instead of Musk today.

is the train slowing down?

Nah, we still have to see the pricing scheme for the new verified entities.
Dude needs 187 million $8 rubes to just break even on the interest he is paying.
To get back that 44 billion, he's going to try to hose corporations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hah I just got this ad on youtube

and I gotta imagine that the campaign was set up and readied and paid for more than four weeks ago and right now there's a good chance some ad exec is slamming their head into the table going 'gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress'

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Nah, we still have to see the pricing scheme for the new verified entities.
Dude needs 187 million $8 rubes to just break even on the interest he is paying.
To get back that 44 billion, he's going to try to hose corporations.

does any company have any reason to spend any money on twitter ads at all.
outside of my pillow and those weird hormones the right likes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SRQ posted:

does any company have any reason to spend any money on twitter ads at all.
outside of my pillow and those weird hormones the right likes.

Its not just ads.
He said he was doing a Corporate verify of your employees.
So your PR people may need a green tick or whatever color, to show they are the real deal that work for you.
He's going to try to monetize everything.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

happyhippy posted:

Its not just ads.
He said he was doing a Corporate verify of your employees.
So your PR people may need a green tick or whatever color, to show they are the real deal that work for you.
He's going to try to monetize everything.

if there's anything corporations love doing, it's paying out the rear end for services that didn't exist a week ago that serve no functional purpose

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

and I gotta imagine that the campaign was set up and readied and paid for more than four weeks ago and right now there's a good chance some ad exec is slamming their head into the table going 'gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress'

It's a scam :ssh:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
"Australia citizens". Yes this seems legit.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Here's some more bullshit:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596315609385431040

I know we've been talking about this already, but goddamn do I hate the stance of "Both sides are actually bad, and by saying that I am in the middle I am in fact very smart and above it all." Especially since 99% of the time, self-descriptions of "centrist" tend to come from conservative assholes who just don't want to openly admit it.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Everything sucks.

Only I can fix it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roblo posted:

Oh no poo poo it's absolutely a scam but even the scammer ad people have gotta be going 'gently caress we blew our ad money on a Musk ad and now everyone thinks of him as an idiot'.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-26/musk-says-he-d-back-desantis-for-president-if-he-makes-2024-run

Musk Says He’d Back DeSantis for President If He Makes 2024 Run

Twitter owner wants a candidate who’s ‘sensible and centrist’

Reviving Trump’s account, he says, corrects ‘a grave mistake’

"I'm fine with Trump not tweeting," Musk said on Twitter Friday night. "The important thing is that Twitter correct a grave mistake in banning his account, despite no violation of the law or terms of service. Deplatforming a sitting President undermined public trust in Twitter for half of America."

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I swear to god I remember Trump committing a heinous crime in order to get his account banned

what was it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Roblo posted:

Hey I be one of them. Where do I send my bitcoin!
Send the link!!!!!!!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

Oh no poo poo it's absolutely a scam but even the scammer ad people have gotta be going 'gently caress we blew our ad money on a Musk ad and now everyone thinks of him as an idiot'.

The only people that would fall for it already think musk is great

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MrQwerty posted:

I swear to god I remember Trump committing a heinous crime in order to get his account banned

what was it

it only counts if he's convicted! :smug:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

he didn't try to overthrow the sitting federal government and have 60-80% of the House and Senate murdered by right-wing militias immediately after a Trump rally, right?

That's preposterous.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Here's some more bullshit:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596315609385431040

I know we've been talking about this already, but goddamn do I hate the stance of "Both sides are actually bad, and by saying that I am in the middle I am in fact very smart and above it all." Especially since 99% of the time, self-descriptions of "centrist" tend to come from conservative assholes who just don't want to openly admit it.

“The truth lies somewhere in the middle” is one of the stupidest things South Park ever said. No wonder Musk lives by it.

Telling young people not to vote because it’s pointless was also stupid because it reinforces the idea that parties only need to appeal to the elderly. They’re a huge demographic who consistently turn out to vote, so actually showing up, even with a spoiled ballot, at least shows that young people are worth targeting.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Try out these new revolutionary detox foot patches that the inventor of electric cars and rockets and probably smartest man on earth can't stop raving about!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MrQwerty posted:

what was it

Jan 6 insurrection encouragement

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kdrudy posted:

Yea, they was no money in actual Twitter, so a clone isn't going to make money either. It's a pretty big upfront cost to even really be a true competitor due to the scale of the app.

Exactly. Social media isn't profitable, advertising is profitable. SM companies got their crazy valuations because of nebulous future monetization potential but investors now are going to want to see a diagram of the money pipeline up front. How are you going to force these users to watch more ads than ever before? Unless you have this, you're not going to get the funds necessary to build your service and acquire the users. And if your main plan is shoving ads down people's throats, nobody's going to want to sign up for that.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember when microsoft bought nokia.....gently caress I remember years ago I was at lunch with a friend he set his win8 phone on the table across from my blackberry.....to this day I m not sure who the rear end in a top hat in the story is.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Since getting Twitter, has Musk said a single thing critical of the Repubs or a nice thing about the Dems?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pro starcraft loser posted:

Since getting Twitter, has Musk said a single thing critical of the Repubs or a nice thing about the Dems?

nah

Ron DeSantis is a centrist now tho lmao

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

heavy liquid posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-26/musk-says-he-d-back-desantis-for-president-if-he-makes-2024-run

"I'm fine with Trump not tweeting," Musk said on Twitter Friday night. "The important thing is that Twitter correct a grave mistake in banning his account, despite no violation of the law or terms of service. Deplatforming a sitting President undermined public trust in Twitter for half of America."

He wasn‘t even sitting right? I mean except on the toilet all the time. But trump was only banned after he got kicked out of the white house wasn‘t he?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Neco posted:

He wasn‘t even sitting right? I mean except on the toilet all the time. But trump was only banned after he got kicked out of the white house wasn‘t he?

He was banned pre-inauguration

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

heavy liquid posted:

"Fine! If Trump won't be my friend, maybe Ron DeSantis will be. I'm not mad, you're mad!"

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

He's baiting Trump to get back on Twitter.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does stormy have a twitter?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A hard core phone called Hard Cock

Comes out of the box with a collection of Grimes wallpapers

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The only significant difference between Mike "my pillow!" Lindell and Elon "Tony Stark" Musk is how much money they each have.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Underwhelmed posted:

The only significant difference between Mike "my pillow!" Lindell and Elon "Tony Stark" Musk is how much money they each have.

wrong, Elon Musk's crack dealer never staged an intervention for him because of how off the deep-end he was

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
DeSantis. Centrist.

Holy gently caress.

It's gotta be the anti trans stuff that really gets him going, surely.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1596171464444497921

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
He can't even be normal.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595956011210182656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

what in the world would it take for the rest to leave?