Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dirt5o8 posted:

I'm not Catholic or religious but I enjoy the occasional Gregorian and Ambrosian chant. Random wikipedia search says there used to be other types of chants in the old roman tradition. Does anyone know what they were or if they were any good?

Edit: \/\/ Neat! Thanks

I'm not sure what the style of chant is technically called but the album The Mystery of Bulgarian Voices has a very different style of chant.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL94AF2709843BD0BF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm looking for TV shows to watch that are in Mandarin, subtitled in English. I want to learn, and watching this kind of material would help a lot in addition to apps and study etc.

Any recommendations?

Maybe something like a cooking show? Something not too heavy, for preference.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is there a dark mode for the SA browser version?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

bonus question: in the UK, where Thanksgiving doesn't exist as a seasonal marker, when is considered the appropriate time to start putting up Christmas decorations?

I guess this question also goes for Canada since their Thanksgiving is so early

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In this passage from a Robert Burns poem

quote:

Let other poets raise a fracas
'Bout vines, an' wines, an' drucken Bacchus
An' crabbit names an' stories wrack us
An' grate our lug
I sing the juice Scotch bear can mak us
In glass or jug

What does 'grate our lug' mean? I've learned that 'crabbit' means grouchy.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

is there a dark mode for the SA browser version?

User control panel > edit options> third row down.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In this passage from a Robert Burns poem

What does 'grate our lug' mean? I've learned that 'crabbit' means grouchy.
I believe it means irritate our ears in context, but grate can also mean pleasing

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/

corn haver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 26, 2022

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you mean "at exactly the right time" but I'll answer your question.

December 1 is probably the most common. Stores will typically start carrying Christmas stuff after Halloween, pretty much, but most decoration waits until December.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
If I want to get reprimanded for my posting habits and told what to unlearn, is there an ideal thread in this subforum for it?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 26, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Trapick posted:

I think you mean "at exactly the right time" but I'll answer your question.

December 1 is probably the most common. Stores will typically start carrying Christmas stuff after Halloween, pretty much, but most decoration waits until December.

Wow your stores wait until after Halloween? Here they switch from Halloween to Christmas stuff around mid October. Also remembrance day is the last holiday before Christmas, so, media wise, Christmas time starts somewhere after that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Oh wow, that's super early. Yeah l did notice the giant skeletons were gone from home depot before Halloween, but I think Canadian Tire and others waited until after.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I saw Christmas stuff on sale at Home Depot the day after Thanksgiving.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Day of Thanksgiving the local radio station already changed its playlist to christmas music.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve seen oversize Christmas decorations prominently displayed in Walmart in the third week of August, and this was more than a decade ago.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Delphisage posted:

If I want to get reprimanded for my posting habits and told what to unlearn, is there an ideal thread in this subforum for it?

I guess you could make a thread in e/n.

Real talk, just don’t post about yourself in a normal thread. Don’t post about people disliking you. Don’t post about your reactions to other threads. Just keep it focused on games or anime or whatever.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I guess you could make a thread in e/n.

quote:

Q: Where can I post about how to improve my overall posting habits?

I think the best fit for your question is Ask/Tell. It's a forum about asking questions and getting answers. You may also try GBS, but that is more likely to get goons hopping into the thread to troll you.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you post badly enough people will either give you poo poo or you'll get probed, so :justpost:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Delphisage posted:

Is this a kink thing because if so lol.

If not just post, who cares.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Inceltown posted:

If not just post, who cares.

quote:

This thread and you can no longer exist in the same space. Please do not post in the chat thread anymore. You are ruining this space for literally everyone else.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

not to do helldumpery but delphisage I think your posting issues are very specific to fire emblem so idk if A/T or anywhere else can exactly help you with it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Old films about cooking seem to feature stoves where one of the burners, or a space in between the burners, is recessed into the stove and seems to be only for tasks that require boiling.

Like this:

What are these called, and when did they stop being a thing? Googling 'stove with boiler' doesn't turn up what i'm looking for

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Delphisage posted:

Have you tried reading your own rap sheet

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there a thread for talking about supporting ageing parents, family members dealing with dementia etc?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a thread for talking about supporting ageing parents, family members dealing with dementia etc?

It's not a dedicated thread (we could probably use one!) but the braindump thread in e/n has been visiting this topic on the reg recently

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Delphisage posted:

I got curious and as far as I can tell your frame of reference for posting is incredibly specific/esoteric. Try to workshop your posts and consider if they would make sense to a stranger and don't just sound good inside your head.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm looking for TV shows to watch that are in Mandarin, subtitled in English. I want to learn, and watching this kind of material would help a lot in addition to apps and study etc.

Any recommendations?

Maybe something like a cooking show? Something not too heavy, for preference.
I'd bet the Chinese Language thread in the Science, Academics, and Languages subforum would be happy to have you ask there.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I figure if you want to learn the language, you're going to need, say, subtitles in pinyin additionally. Just watching something with english subs doesn't usually help people learn a language.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

I figure if you want to learn the language, you're going to need, say, subtitles in pinyin additionally. Just watching something with english subs doesn't usually help people learn a language.

Nah, watching English sitcoms with Danish subtitles is a time honoured recommendation in the Danish school system. The point is to get a little language without being focused on the language learning aspect.

Yes, teachers literally perspective watching Friends.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Alright so you gave absolutely 0 context but I gathered that this was a quote from your rapsheet
here is my advice: just stop Posting about Posters entirely. don't go into chat threads to talk about how some other poster posting about an anime you don't like makes you feel, or about how some other thread in the lp subforum mentioning a game you dislike makes you feel, or about how people replying to your posts makes you feel. just talk about anime, or fire emblem, or whatever.

also this reply to one of your probed posts is very apt:

Looper posted:

you do not have to respond to people who quote you or otherwise engage, irl this might be rude but on the internet, that's just how forums roll

if you respond to every single person who shitposts at you you will just inevitably cause derail after derail. "posting about posters" includes replying to people posting about you. just scroll past or put them on your ignore list or something. don't respond unless they are talking about anime instead of Posting and your response is also about anime instead of Posting

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
OP you should sue Jeffery because many users state that they do not like or want you posting, it could be a class action with that other guy.

E:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Old films about cooking seem to feature stoves where one of the burners, or a space in between the burners, is recessed into the stove and seems to be only for tasks that require boiling.

This thing’s called a Deep Well Cooker.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2022

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Dirt5o8 posted:

I'm not Catholic or religious but I enjoy the occasional Gregorian and Ambrosian chant. Random wikipedia search says there used to be other types of chants in the old roman tradition. Does anyone know what they were or if they were any good?

Edit: \/\/ Neat! Thanks

For years I wondered what the intro was to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Turn out it was from a gregorian chant called Spasi, Gospodi, lyudi Tvoya (Save O Lord, thy people).

Badger of Basra posted:

bonus question: in the UK, where Thanksgiving doesn't exist as a seasonal marker, when is considered the appropriate time to start putting up Christmas decorations?

This is a cause of much national consternation. The christmas lights went on in my town this weekend which seems about average. Stuff has been in shops since just before Halloween.

Ask most people and they would probably say 1st of December is best.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Like this:

What are these called, and when did they stop being a thing? Googling 'stove with boiler' doesn't turn up what i'm looking for

I don't know about their name, but I'm guessing they're a remnant of a simpler time when the stove had a literal, made of wood fire inside to provide the heat. It would be a simple way to get water boiling...

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Sometimes in Canada people will put decorations up in November if there's no snow yet, just so they don't have to deal with ladders and such once there's snow on the ground. I rarely see them lit up before December 1 though. Retail is its own thing though; I was in a dollar store in September and saw some Christmas bits and bobs in there already.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dirby posted:

I'd bet the Chinese Language thread in the Science, Academics, and Languages subforum would be happy to have you ask there.

Good idea. Thanks

Dr. Stab posted:

:shrug: it absolutely helped me with Japanese. I used to watch a lot of anime, and it did help with getting the absolute basics. Like, to the point where I could make myself understood, in Japan, with really crappy Japanese and gestures.

I think it'd really help for getting the tones right. It's one thing to know that eg there's a rising tone, but another to know how high to go without thinking I sound like confused Tim Allen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

!Klams posted:

I want to get my wife a book on Architecture, like what all the different styles are, how to recognize them, examples, etc. She likes old buildings but doesn't really know what to say about them.

I have zero clue, and I don't really know what a 'good' book on the subject would really look like. Does anyone have any good ideas? Cheers!

This is a good book:

A Field Guide to American Houses (Revised): The Definitive Guide to Identifying and Understanding America's Domestic Architecture https://a.co/d/bKuZGqj

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

!Klams posted:

I want to get my wife a book on Architecture, like what all the different styles are, how to recognize them, examples, etc. She likes old buildings but doesn't really know what to say about them.

I have zero clue, and I don't really know what a 'good' book on the subject would really look like. Does anyone have any good ideas? Cheers!

In addition to the field guide, How Architecture Works by Witold Rybczynski is also a good, easy to read intro

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our garbage disposal wasn’t running, because someone tried to put popcorn kernels down it and they jammed it up fierce. I got it moving again by turning the shaft manually from the bottom with a random Allen wrench that fit. This “worked” except the wrench got incredibly well stuck, like it was welded in place. Reddit advice was to run hot water so everything expanded and just wiggle it until it released, which luckily worked since I didn’t really have a plan B.

My stupid question is how can a hole capture a hex wrench like that? I wouldn’t have thought that was possible.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

If the wrench is too small, either it or the bolt can deform a bit as you pull hard to turn the bolt, wedging the tool in there. There are metric hex wrenches and imperial hex wrenches, so using the wrong one might lead to this, maybe?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
For the first time in my adult life I'm living in a place that gets a little decent light in a window. I'm trying hard to revive 3 houseplants. The pothos seems to be recovering, but I'm wondering about this aloe. The leaves were covered in spots and I trimmed off the worst parts. Some new, healthy-looking leaves are growing in so I think that's a good sign, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be done about the tall, leggy stems happening here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Obviously this is a dumb scam:

But how is it supposed to work? Do people think that just owning literally any amount of land in Scotland automatically makes you a lord? Or is there some layer to it I'm not seeing?