Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I really wish FAPI had a warning on Ascension to remind the player to go into Milk, shift everything into Whack Score and then play a round to lock it in. I just hit Ascension 5 and I STILL haven't remembered to do that even once...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

KazigluBey posted:

I don't understand how stuff that spawns other stuff works. Does it need to be in my inventory, or can it just be on the floor? I have another room, the Spring, that says it makes Rain, but I've not had Rain show up ever automatically

It works if it is on the floor, no comment on if it works from inventory. It takes a long time, unless you have some way to boost it. I swear the room things only show up if you aren't in the room.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It does work in the inventory and any items that you're wearing that also generate items will dump them into the current space you're inhabiting.

Eternalmajin
Apr 5, 2009

Saraiguma posted:

is there any reason these aren't auto-assigning?

Is page 1 still being bought? I had a similar situation before and it was because page 1 would use up all of the skulls before page 2 got its turn.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Eternalmajin posted:

Is page 1 still being bought? I had a similar situation before and it was because page 1 would use up all of the skulls before page 2 got its turn.

it might honestly have been that, the base autobuy sucking so much and the good autobuy being behind a 5bux paywall is really scummy

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Saraiguma posted:

it might honestly have been that, the base autobuy sucking so much and the good autobuy being behind a 5bux paywall is really scummy

You're getting souls from daily activities too - 100 per basic objective, 500 bonus for the full set, and 500 from putting "daily" in the code thingy. There might also be more codes if you go to their discord? I haven't bothered. You should be able to get about one of the better automations per week that way buying at 10k, or a bit faster if you're grabbing them on the 30% off rotating offers. I'd start with potatoes and skulls, then gear recycling, then autowhack. The others are pretty much all genuine marginal QoL stuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
imo if a game sucks to play because of artificial reasons then you shouldn't play it, rather than giving the dev money to remove the suckage

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

That is true, and I think idle games that have fully pay-walled QoL/Progress-Boost options are bad. But FAPI is a lot like thread-darling NGU in that the steady drip of premium currency is an integral part of progression, isn't that slow (you get what, around 1500 a day and most shop items are either 10K or (more rarely) 15K?) and none of the stuff in the Soul Shop is cash-exclusive.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Before I left for a week away I grabbed the auto-daily as well when it was 7k. When I gone for that week I came back to like 12-13k souls. I’ll get back to the computer after this holiday week and buy one of the last 6 “premium” upgrades and then fill out the inventory space. Without spending money on it. It’s really very quick to get the primary ones collected too. I’m near to going into Ascension 4 and I play completely casual style checking it two maybe three times a day. It’s pacing is really great once you’re past the beginning active portion of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think I'm continuing to play dodecadragons just to understand where it's going wrong.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I'm continuing to play dodecadragons just to understand where it's going wrong.

Have there been updates lately? I haven’t looked at it since the achievement system was put in place.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jhet posted:

Have there been updates lately? I haven’t looked at it since the achievement system was put in place.

Some new resources and more automation as well as a 6th dragon tier.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You still have to constantly poke at Knowledge to grind upgrades for it, then it slows waaaay down when you're at like trade level 230+. I think Dodeca's main issue is a lot of even the highest level upgrades (fire production, platinum gain, magic hardcap) hit diminishing returns almost instantly and grinding for higher level stuff just takes too long, and all the QOL upgrades like actual automation are always at that higher level. Like when you're at ^1.30 fire production, spending 30 minutes worth of idle gain to get to ^1.31 is just nothing.

Also the trade level setting being a dumb slider can gently caress right off, thing is way too fiddly.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://www.theresmoregame.com/play/

One I was directed to recently. Don't know how I feel about it. So I want to subject it to the thread's analysis.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 25, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bloodly posted:

One I was directed to recently. Don't know how I feel about it. So I want to subject it to the thread's analysis.

At first blush it appears...remarkably similar...to evolve.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Discendo Vox posted:

At first blush it appears...remarkably similar...to evolve.

It is. One difference I do enjoy is that combat has slightly more of a narrative element - instead of attacking and conquering x, your scouts find a goblin hideout, then you attack, get a bonus for having conquered it, and then get a poison arrow upgrade that slightly upgrades your archers

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Brings back memories of Civclicker, though not far enough in to see if that holds up.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Stop putting clickable elements in idle games and then balancing them around the player spam clicking things. My fingers cannot take this poo poo

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Click once on what you're after, then hold enter. This may be browser-dependent, but it may work.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 25, 2022

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

ungulateman posted:

Stop putting clickable elements in idle games and then balancing them around the player spam clicking things. My fingers cannot take this poo poo

You can start ignoring that after a short time, it'll build up plenty on its own and from what I can see there's no "more X when you click" upgrades of any kind so clicking doesn't matter.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I played it through to the current endgame (with some cheating to get prestige resources quicker because I'm lazy) and I enjoyed it but there are some definite issues. Main ones are:

You have to build troops one at a time which is terrible when you have hundreds and are losing like 50+ every combat.

Combat doesn't give you any indication at all of how tough it is aside from the 1-5 skulls thing, and there's a ton of swing within those tiers. You get spies eventually! They tell you how many troops there are, and nothing about how strong those troops are, and it doesn't save it anywhere so you need to take notes if you want to remember this poo poo lol.

There's a bunch of buildings and troops you can unlock on prestiege! No indication of what they actually do so good luck. You absolutely 100% want to buy Guild of Craftsmen ASAP, it gives you materials/steel/crystal/supplies per second and is insanely good. Granary next, gives a ton more food. Other insanely good ones to grab eventually are undead herds and machine of the gods, but they take later prestige resources

There's no way to tell how strong any of your troops are other than guesswork. There's a bunch of buildings/researches/spells/prestige upgrades that give +stats to various units. No way to tell if they are any good because you don't know the base stats of any unit!

All troops that aren't spearman/archer are worthless. A 1/1 mix of those two will take you through every combat in the game and, most importantly, they're cheap as hell to replace. With more expensive troops you lose some every combat and they cost expensive slower to get materials so replacing your losses takes way longer/is prohibitively expensive. So you end up in age 5 with guns and poo poo and you are fielding the most basic possible troops because it is just cheaper and easier.

Overall I enjoyed it a bunch, just needs some QoL poo poo really

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Isn't there a +1/+10/+50 thing on the army page?

Does the marketplace ever become useful? It looks like the prices adjust as you buy and sell, and buying very quickly becomes ruinously expensive after like, 30 units(when buildings are costing thousands).

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Fresh Theresmore patch with unit stats just rolled out.

Update 0.43 posted:

Added army attack and defense values
Added settlement attack and defense values
Added a button to move the whole army to attack
Added new prayers and spells
Added 7 new enemies
Added 5 upgraded legacy perks
Added the Trail of Power quest
Added the Library of SouLs quest (Thanks to our first patron SouL)
Bug fixes

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Quality of the game itself aside, Theresmore has a really sharp look and feel to it, even as a Evolve clone so far I'm still drawn in

Bladegash
Oct 23, 2008

Anfauglir posted:

I played it through to the current endgame (with some cheating to get prestige resources quicker because I'm lazy) and I enjoyed it but there are some definite issues. Main ones are:

I tried to be lazy too but couldn't find the variables for resources. How did you do it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Anfauglir posted:

All troops that aren't spearman/archer are worthless. A 1/1 mix of those two will take you through every combat in the game and, most importantly, they're cheap as hell to replace. With more expensive troops you lose some every combat and they cost expensive slower to get materials so replacing your losses takes way longer/is prohibitively expensive. So you end up in age 5 with guns and poo poo and you are fielding the most basic possible troops because it is just cheaper and easier.

My experience with this is that playing to the combat rock-paper-scissors is actually extremely important and lets you do things with way, way less troops. Generally I'd run a bunch of whatever they're weak to, plus something else (usually ends up being ranged + weakness unless they're cavs, then it's tank + shock).

And I did like building heavier units, but yeah I'd frequently just field like 40 spearmen or whatever because I'll probably lose them anyway. :v:

It's easier once you get spies and can figure out what their troop composition is, but also in general humanoids are shock or tank (so shock + ranged tends to take them out) and animals are cavalry.

Jabor posted:

Does the marketplace ever become useful? It looks like the prices adjust as you buy and sell, and buying very quickly becomes ruinously expensive after like, 30 units(when buildings are costing thousands).

I think the marketplace is very useful to sell cows/horses for money. Actually buying anything from there is a fool's game though.

GWD
Jul 11, 2022

Bloodly posted:

I like how clean the UI is. I like that it shows how much is missing and I'm definitely going to steal that, probably also color coding it that not only are you missing 500 food but that your current storage won't let you get that 500 anyway.

I don't like that it doesn't show what doing an action will get you. I'm wasting a lot of faith on spells that won't help me.

I wonder if the explores are fixed. IE: Are the first 3 explores always more resources, and the 4th is always a combat? It feels good early on balancing building with exploration.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Bladegash posted:

I tried to be lazy too but couldn't find the variables for resources. How did you do it?

Save editor! Works for a surprising number of idle games actually.

Arzaac posted:

My experience with this is that playing to the combat rock-paper-scissors is actually extremely important and lets you do things with way, way less troops. Generally I'd run a bunch of whatever they're weak to, plus something else (usually ends up being ranged + weakness unless they're cavs, then it's tank + shock).

And I did like building heavier units, but yeah I'd frequently just field like 40 spearmen or whatever because I'll probably lose them anyway. :v:

It's easier once you get spies and can figure out what their troop composition is, but also in general humanoids are shock or tank (so shock + ranged tends to take them out) and animals are cavalry.

I think the marketplace is very useful to sell cows/horses for money. Actually buying anything from there is a fool's game though.

Yeah, but the spearmen/archers are cheap, so when you're building 600+ units its much, much easier to do. Upkeep is also a concern, that can get out of hand. And yes I never found a real use for the market at all.

Jabor posted:

Huh, look at that. They added it after I had finished playing and I just did not notice it when I was looking up the good prestige buildings, whoops. The other changes are also real nice, they're definitely improving the game.

Edit: looking at the actual attack/defense numbers, with all the various buffs up, it looks like your best units from a cost/upkeep to effectiveness perspective are crossbowmen (32 attack, arquebusiers only get you 3 more attack for a ton more cost, and artillery has a prohibitive upkeep no point in having more than one or two) , shieldbearers (28 defense and cheap, clerics and priests are also good if you want to spend their resources (32 and 31 respectively) but that little of a bump probably isn't worth the increased upkeep), and warriors (the buffs on them are insane, mine are at 31 attack which is better than everything before line infantry, and line infantry are expensive.). Horses are all expensive so just pick your best one if you want to use them I guess?

lol I just checked the new prestige upgrades and there's one that adds 5 more attack to crossbowmen, because why not.

Anfauglir fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 26, 2022

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

feel monks deserve an honorable mention by virtue of, well. being dirt cheap to keep/use
Buying monks is kind of pricey, but after that it's just 10 food a brawl, less than even a spearman for better (base) stats, even.
also not too much else to spend faith/mana on at points, so might as well have a few in your army instead of wasting it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
What determines whether a neighbor will ally with you? Been chucking gold at them to see if I can raise my relationship with them, but it's had very little effect.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Inadequately posted:

What determines whether a neighbor will ally with you? Been chucking gold at them to see if I can raise my relationship with them, but it's had very little effect.

It's a fixed number that you have to spend, 5000 gold at a time.

No, you don't get to see how close you are progress-wise.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
https://mrredshark77.github.io/Really-Grass-Cutting-Incremental/

The game has been getting some updates. While the thread was a bit lukewarm about it, I find it interesting to see what the next paradigm shift will be.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What's the RPS?

Ranged - Beats Shock/Tank - Loses Calvary
Calvary - Beats Ranged/Tank? - Loses Shock?
Shock - Beats Calvary/Tank? - Loses Range
Tank - Beats ?? - Loses ??

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Range -> Shock -> Tank -> Cav -> Range

My thoughts are, tank beats cav because spears are great against horses, cavalry can close the distance on ranged units easily, and ranged units have the range advantage against unarmored shock troops. Don't have a good rationale for shock -> Tank, but it closes the circle, so eh.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Blattdorf posted:

https://mrredshark77.github.io/Really-Grass-Cutting-Incremental/

The game has been getting some updates. While the thread was a bit lukewarm about it, I find it interesting to see what the next paradigm shift will be.

After Grasshops this game started unlocking new systems and mechanics too fast to even read them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Weirdly I think there's something off with the math during the first run. After the first Big Reset my second run was actually significantly slower and I had to like, actually do challenges before doing grasshops and such.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Hughlander posted:

What's the RPS?

Ranged - Beats Shock/Tank - Loses Calvary
Calvary - Beats Ranged/Tank? - Loses Shock?
Shock - Beats Calvary/Tank? - Loses Range
Tank - Beats ?? - Loses ??

Per the "you can build an army now" popup when you first unlock a combat unit:

Tank is strong against Cav
Cav is strong against Ranged
Ranged is strong against Shock
Shock is strong against Tank

Bladegash
Oct 23, 2008

Anfauglir posted:

Save editor! Works for a surprising number of idle games actually.

Thanks!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Apparently the way the "counter" mechanic works is that if your unit counters anything at all in the opposing army, it does double damage (and vice versa).

So if you have any ranged units at all, opposing cavalry do twice as much damage to your tanks, even though you'd think that tanks counter cavalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

has a neat ui, but really feels like a much less interesting evolve.