Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BonHair posted:

Do not join a terrorist organisation while you're there.

Feldegast42 posted:

But do get laid.

Brought to you by the Risian Tourism Association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Federation ideals of trying to help people and not excessively destroy and try to convert their enemies is very admirable, although I know the appeal of destroying your enemies. Odo also presents the emotional value of not exterminating the Founders even if the founders have been pretty genocidal themselves. It'd be a lot easier to be pro-exterminating the baddies if this was Stargate.

The Borg, as a greater existential threat that displays much less of any sympathetic side while in collective form (I think I've seen some people argue that the collective might not even qualify as sentient by typical standards) seems like an easier decision to destroy, but I think that part of the Federation's philosophy beyond just not doing harm is the preservation of the uniqueness of life. That's part of why they don't want to gently caress around with undeveloped societies. The Borg do their best to be incompatible with that mission, but they're also the sort of weird thing that the Federation wouldn't want to destroy. That's part of why the series keeps returning to them despite

MikeJF posted:

At cost of an enormous unknown number of lives if the Jem'Hadar refused to stand down? It was a trade.

Well, it depends whether they'd be able to manage the ketrasil white production themselves. They could be mostly all dead in a month or so as well. Possibly they might not even fight if there's no Founders to order them around. They may be naturally aggressive, but they're much more loyal and wouldn't want to spoil the Founders' order.

Also possibly, the Voorta and Jem'Hadar would turn on eachother without the Founders because neither trust eachother.

Railing Kill posted:

Someone in this very thread a long time ago said, "The most important thing to remember about Worf is that he is a Klingon weeb." He's a goober compared to every other Klingon we see. He really is like that image of the weeb going to Japan and wearing a kimono amidst normal, modern, actual Japanese people on a train.

The weird part about how that works is that all Klingon high society is about bluffing that you live up to standards that Worf holds for himself, so Worf manages to shame others with his earnestness in the face of everything else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, it depends whether they'd be able to manage the ketrasil white production themselves. They could be mostly all dead in a month or so as well. Possibly they might not even fight if there's no Founders to order them around. They may be naturally aggressive, but they're much more loyal and wouldn't want to spoil the Founders' order.

I'm not taking about potential future stuff, I'm talking about the battle going on right there right now where the Jem'Hadar were going to carry out their orders to exterminate the planet of Cardassia then continue fighting the combined alliance armada until there were no more Jem'Hadar left, until the Founder issued a surrender order.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Borg and Founders are trickier cases than everyone else.

The Klingons, for instance, can be reasoned with and don't seem to have much difficulty with coexistence on relatively peaceful terms. The Romulans could come around eventually. And the Cardassians too. Not overnight, but the Dominion war was a start towards moving forward past military rivalry.

The Founders might be able to change, but it requires a two way trust that they may be incapable of, at an instinction level. Like trying to make bees not be a communal organism.

The Borg? They're cancer only treatable with a robust chemotherapy regime.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The borg have a single mind, killing all the borg is killing literally one dude, and that dude is directly responsible for a bunch of atrocities

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

The borg have a single mind, killing all the borg is killing literally one dude, and that dude is directly responsible for a bunch of atrocities

How different is the borg than say the crystalline entity? We don't know much about it, other than to survive apparently it just needs to consume a lot of material, that ends up killing just a whole bunch of people seemingly indiscriminately, and that you seem to be able to communicate with it that suggest that it may have some sort of sentience.

Other that much different from the borg? When they are in one way or another destroying people on mass, does intent count?

Interestingly in the case of the crystalline entity picard said they may have to destroy it, but they should exhaust every other possibility before than. Does the same standard exist for the borg, as it's been shown a few different times, despite their introduction, the borg can be communicated with and bargained with.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The borg got all ethically complicated and poo poo when they made it so you could pull individual borgs out and they'd still remember themselves. The Borg turned into more of a slaver race instead of something like the AIs in Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch books.

The founders are honestly conceptually more interesting as a sort of hive mind species.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Borg are essentially Grey Goo but scaled up, a Hegemonizing Swarm that keeps its source components around. You either have to destroy it or change it into something that can be reasoned with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bullbar posted:

Nearly finished S2 of Enterprise and I'm really enjoying it. They seem to realise that Trip, Phlox, and T'Pol are the ones with any personality.

I was very excited to recognise the voice of Andreas Katsulas in the start of this episode too.

Not sure about the weird romance undercurrents that occasionally pop up between Archer and T'Pol though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmdSWX2FZM :allears:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/airandspace/status/1596307521110966272

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Nucular Wessels

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Even this looks better than the 4 Foot Model. :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

God drat I miss Andreas Katsulas.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's just not the same without the rings covering an awkward transition to a completely different starfield element.

(And if you hadn't noticed that before... well, now you'll never unsee it. You're welcome.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think that S6 E5 Schisms is probably the creepiest TNG episode , hell I'd say it was the creepiest Star Trek episode because the idea that there's just extradimensional entites that kidnap people and experiment on them freaks me out

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hollismason posted:

I think that S6 E5 Schisms is probably the creepiest TNG episode , hell I'd say it was the creepiest Star Trek episode because the idea that there's just extradimensional entites that kidnap people and experiment on them freaks me out

The creepiest part of that episode for me was when Beverly was like, "Your forearm was severed and reattached. I figured that out because it's 0.4mm off center now."

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The part in the middle of the episode where they are trying to recreate the table from suppressed memories goes on for pretty long but is tense and compelling.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
TNG just seemed to really work with horror, as space just felt like this big void thing with the occasionally really god drat weird planet or oddity they would stumble upon. It was really good at giving the feeling that the ship was just out in the middle of nowhere and there was just some really, really insane poo poo out there that humanity just had no idea about. I know that wasn't the atmosphere they were meaning to convey, but watching it now that really the atmosphere that comes through.

The huge ship and sparse main crew and excellent music that just sort of looms in the background, just added to that. So yeah when an episode like this or Schisms or Where Silence Has Lease comes out, to me it just really fits the atmosphere.

And it's sort of odd, cos DS9 to me had a more friendlier atmosphere often just because of the warmer crew. Like even just stuff like O'Brien and Bashir just chilling at that bar, really warms up the feeling of the show.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 26, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

The part in the middle of the episode where they are trying to recreate the table from suppressed memories goes on for pretty long but is tense and compelling.

Yeah, it's really well done, especially the bit with the background clicks. It's exactly the opposite of what you'd want to do if you were trying to recall real supressed memories, of course (it's more likely to produce a largely fictional result that people believe they remembered naturally but they actually just filled in from each other), but it's great TV.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
LeVar Burton loving nails that "...I've been in this room before" line, too.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Hollismason posted:

For me, it's a tie between that scene and Night Terrors with Crusher and all the bodies in the cargo bay.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Identity Crisis is up there for me, the scene where Geordi's slowly examining the scene and pulling people out and the shadow is still there is so genuinely creepy for me.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Eimi posted:

Identity Crisis is up there for me, the scene where Geordi's slowly examining the scene and pulling people out and the shadow is still there is so genuinely creepy for me.

Geordi slowly turning into that other creature was very Cronenbergy.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

"The Game" was really creepy with how long everyone had the façade of normality except for a strong interest in this game amongst the crew before it takes over the Enterprise and becomes an obsession. It's pretty subtle about it but at the same time it knows how to throw viewers for a loop with Troi, Crusher, and Riker deactivating Data early in the episode.

TNG does eerie and creepy pretty well. Maybe that's why it got its hooks into me all those years ago when I first gave the show a chance and I saw episodes with the Borg who are a space-gothic take on Lovecraftian horror or stuff like "Time Squared" which deal with the existential and tangible worries of interacting with faulty time. I find that sort of stuff intoxicating.

Also, shout out to that one episode where a crew member noclips into a floor.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I know the science is ridiculously wrong, but I think Genesis nails the horror vibes really well too.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DoubleCakes posted:

I like how after they tell the computer to make it slightly more sinister a couple times, the computer basically goes "Ugh. Fine." and takes it up about ten notches.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really want to know what the hell that middle solid wood monstrosity is supposed to be for

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It looks like something a medieval monastery would use to embalm someone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

54 seconds into 'Willow' and I'm like "James Horner scored this".

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

bull3964 posted:

54 seconds into 'Willow' and I'm like "James Horner scored this".

As much as I love his score for TWOK, his very similar Krull score is superior and I can't unhear it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really want to know what the hell that middle solid wood monstrosity is supposed to be for

Cultural exchange with the Minbari.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

I like how after they tell the computer to make it slightly more sinister a couple times, the computer basically goes "Ugh. Fine." and takes it up about ten notches.

A really neat touch to the episode is that when Riker actually wakes up on the alien table, the table and props are slightly different. They could've just re-used what they had like the crew managed to perfectly re-create the situation, but they didn't.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't know but I bet that episode was a real pain in the rear end (and back) for the props department

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That middle table looks like something that Frankenstein’s monster would be on

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Finally a Tellarite stands up and, nearly spitting with fury, shouts "it's a loving TABLE, okay!? A perfectly normal goddamn table like any on Tellar! You humans mock everything you don't understand, you bigots!" He runs crying from the room.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm honestly surprised the computer didn't generate a dildo table for Riker

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Computer, generate a chair that only Riker could mount

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Imagine a 'Fistful of Datas' scenario, except instead of inserting Data into holodeck programs it inserts elements of Riker's programs. You're trying to qualify in the phaser sharpshooting test and you keep getting distracted by the big breasted Ferengi nymphomaniac sluts who pop up instead of targets.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kesper North posted:

I'm picturing one of those chain-link puzzles you have to know a particular secret twisting motion to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Program: Captain's Chair, USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D complete. You may enter when ready.

e: oh poo poo, I thought you said couldn't :v: