Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watch a lot of trash. I will keep watching trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kingo Ligma posted:

If I give in and watch Andor and it sucks, every single one of you is getting some absolutely fuckin heinous red text

Andor sucks don't bother. It's another show where you have to wait five episodes for interesting things to happen and even then it's still Star Wars. A lose/lose all around.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What is worse, post Endgame Marvel or Endgame Star War?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Zzulu posted:

I watch a lot of trash. I will keep watching trash.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

stephenthinkpad posted:

What is worse, post Endgame Marvel or Endgame Star War?

Marvel definitely has the worse discourse. At least star wars only claims it's ending racism by casting minorities on main feed and not d list background character streaming trash.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It is completely possible for Disney to produce a good show that is a star war while also being a bad company that mostly makes poo poo, stranger things have happened. Most negative criticism I've seen of the show seems to come from people who clearly haven't watched it, usually made obvious by calling it slow/boring with little elaboration (a popular one for the angry nerds on twitter with lightsaber avatars and #antiwoke in their profiles) or talk with so little detail it could only have been drawn from a 2 sentence synopsis. Very little talk of technical merits also, since of course it's impossible to get a decent impression of that from an imdb writeup.

Comes across as trying to project an image of coolness and anti establishment, rather than any real crit. Otherwise, why lie about it?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

RealityWarCriminal posted:

this

Mando season 1 was ok but I'll never watch another episode after deepfake Luke

that random internet person releasing a better deepfake within 24 hours was the best star wars moment of the decade

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Obi Wan is worth watching purely for the mind gently caress

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
okay just one more christmas joke

he sure was in a rush to get his turbo man doll!!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
merry christmas everybody

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'd rather watch something that's slow and boring as poo poo and takes itself too seriously than something that is edited at 60 cuts a minute, is loud and obnoxious, and constantly winks at the camera

I'll take boring sincerity over a mediocre corporate product that papers over its many faults with postmodernist ennui any day

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/mccrabb_will/status/1596231965958471685?s=46&t=mL3M-EzlCCy2g3MW3uy7sQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That 7 seconds was more interesting and got me more invested than that entire black adam segment lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's fuckin rad as hell

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only thing I didn't really like in Andor was the end reveal that the parts they were making in prison were for the Death Star laser. Because of their hub-and-spoke look, I had assumed the parts were the center hub for the wing of a TIE Fighter. Which would've been apropos, as they force these prisoners to endlessly churn out these parts to go on assembly line fighters that have a life span of about 3 days total. Keeps things grounded, with their endless toil. Making them part of the Death Star I felt was a bit of cheat, trying to tie them in to the greater SW mythos, when in all other respects the show seamed to want to eschew all aspects of the mystical, larger than life, space-opera aspects of SW. There could've been a nice montage of other prisons where people churned out the hubs, intercut with robots installing them on a TIE, and then a TIE launching in to battle and getting blasted 3 seconds later, and going back to the slave labor just churning out more parts to feed the beast that is the empire.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I just want you to know that if I start watching Andor and don’t like it, everyone itt who convinces me to give it a shot will have robbed me of life’s greatest gift: precious time on this earth that I could have used trying to bang actresses

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The only thing I didn't really like in Andor was the end reveal that the parts they were making in prison were for the Death Star laser. Because of their hub-and-spoke look, I had assumed the parts were the center hub for the wing of a TIE Fighter. Which would've been apropos, as they force these prisoners to endlessly churn out these parts to go on assembly line fighters that have a life span of about 3 days total. Keeps things grounded, with their endless toil. Making them part of the Death Star I felt was a bit of cheat, trying to tie them in to the greater SW mythos, when in all other respects the show seamed to want to eschew all aspects of the mystical, larger than life, space-opera aspects of SW. There could've been a nice montage of other prisons where people churned out the hubs, intercut with robots installing them on a TIE, and then a TIE launching in to battle and getting blasted 3 seconds later, and going back to the slave labor just churning out more parts to feed the beast that is the empire.

andor gets blown up by a death star

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
wes sure does love his fancy dollies and planimetric composition

i wonder if as a kid someone ran at him from an angle and it just scared the loving poo poo out of him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks. The entire show is a pretty successful exercise in making the setting feel big again, then that scene goes "lol no actually it's still small as hell". I think it's forgivable, but go figure they would drop the ball a bit in the last 30 seconds

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Botw needs Mike's chaos energy, everyone else is replaceable but eps without him are kinda lame.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rich evans is defeatable, not replaceable

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rich evans is defeatable, not replaceable

If they decide to do more Cynthia Rothrock stuff, Martial Law has David Carridine in it and he seems relatively sober

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Hr5jw4dzw

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Holy crap, Carpenter's Prince of Darkness hits the ground running doesnt it. Hopefully they let things breathe a bit in later acts.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I haven't watched Andor yet because boba fett and the first four episodes of obiwan (didn't even get around to the last two) really sapped by interest in tv star wars. BUT by friend who loved Rise of Skywalker said Andor was terrible after the first five episodes so take that to mean what you will.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"This person who loves eating poo poo didn't like this restaurant because their food doesn't taste like poo poo."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Holy crap, Carpenter's Prince of Darkness hits the ground running doesnt it. Hopefully they let things breathe a bit in later acts.

The thing I remember most about Prince of Darkness is the way it basically comes to a stop and let’s things breath super-late into the movie when the possessed homeless people have everyone holed up but don’t actually push further.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Andor really suffers from the fact the newest trilogy makes the rebels worthless gently caress-ups. They managed to stay in power for only around 30 years until they were basically completely defeated by exiled remnants of the empire.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Maybe their fledgling leftist government was overthrown by a foreign backed coup

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's ten more years than the Empire stayed in power.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lister posted:

I haven't watched Andor yet because boba fett and the first four episodes of obiwan (didn't even get around to the last two) really sapped by interest in tv star wars. BUT by friend who loved Rise of Skywalker said Andor was terrible after the first five episodes so take that to mean what you will.

This is especially insane because the first five episodes are mostly slow tension building with only one huge action set piece, then episode 6 is a kickass heist sequence. I'm genuinely confused how anyone could hold that opinion especially someone who's easily entertained by spectacle

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I'm genuinely confused how anyone could hold that opinion

Lister posted:

friend who loved Rise of Skywalker

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fair I guess I'm expecting too much for morons to be consistent

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Last Star Wars I watched was TLJ and there's a decent chance I never watch another Star Wars thing again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
“Friend who loved Rise of Skywalker” sounds like an excellent reason to sever that friendship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Andor is the opposite of RoS in almost every way

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andor is the opposite of RoS in almost every way

Somehow, Palpatine has gone missing

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Prince of Darkness rules. It hits a tone very very very few directors can manage.

Andor is well-made but man alive they should have compressed 1-4 down to 1 1/2, 2 episodes. It really only starts getting really interesting towards the middle of it. Andor's just a boring person as a character except when he's like fighting for his freedom or whatever. But he doesn't really do anything with said freedom when he has it, he doesn't seem to want to do anything. Which I can definitely appreciate on a personal level, but as a character to build a show around... eh. Unless that show is just him doing wild heists and poo poo. Ocean 11 series in the SWU, where there is a heist arc every 3 episodes sounds like it would be a lot more fun - and Andor is very well made overall, it's just not terribly fun - sort of show to watch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This is a very sweet tribute they whipped up here. I really hope they get around to checking out Nemesis at some point as well (and then Nemesis 2 - 4, but ignore 5 because that doesnt have any of the Pyun magic).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did Van Damme ever do any films with Cynthia Rothrock? They seem cut from the same cloth except that Van Damme eventually made it to where he had a brief stint as a leading man. I'd watch the poo poo out of an action movie starring a bunch of 80s and 90s B listers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

She owns really hard