Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Can’t say the same about Nexus 10. It worked like 2-3 years before it was trash. Turned me away from tablets for many years.

I seem to recall this being underpowered and kind of crappy at launch so not too surprising there. I know people kept their Nexus 7s going for a loooooong time though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

This but my 2012 Mac Mini.

Yeah this but my 2012 MBP that my wife is still using that is still working incredibly well.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
What's the least longevity apple product do we think? I guess all the stuff with tiny batteries that are impossible to replace - airpods, pencils, etc? Or is it more specific models of things? My iPad 2 didn't last long before it was devastatingly slow. The first couple of generations of that thing were rough.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

What's the least longevity apple product do we think? I guess all the stuff with tiny batteries that are impossible to replace - airpods, pencils, etc? Or is it more specific models of things? My iPad 2 didn't last long before it was devastatingly slow. The first couple of generations of that thing were rough.

The 3rd generation Ipad (then "The new Ipad") has to be among the worst.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Grumbles posted:

Ipod mini, the last of the tiny low capacity hard disks. Eaten alive by the availability of cheap flash memory.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Grumbles posted:

Would the big homepod count in this definition of longevity?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Criss-cross posted:

As an iOS developer at the time, absolutely this. It had the Retina display, but not the hardware to power it. We had to quickly find the legit ways to not include it in the product offering. Related the iPhone 4s because developers couldn't slice that out of the available apps without taking far better hardware out as well, so it got a lot of updates that it really shouldn't have.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Criss-cross posted:

Having had one I can say hell yes to this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Oh, the shortest lived big ticket item: I knew a guy who bought an absolute top of the line maxed out G4 PowerBook in 2005!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Criss-cross posted:

It's this. It was the first iPad with a retina display but the GPU wasn't powerful enough to drive it without a ton of hiccups and general slowness.

It was replaced by the 4th gen iPad 221 days later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh, the shortest lived big ticket item: I knew a guy who bought an absolute top of the line maxed out G4 PowerBook in 2005!

I bought two Intel Macbooks in the time between the M1 was announced at WWDC and the M1 was released in December. :lmao:

I thought the M1 wasn't going to be as fast as Intel and I really thought I would need Windows VM support (I didn't)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

lightning cables and especially lightning earpods

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

lightning cables

:confused:

I still have lightning cables in service from my iPhone 5

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

FCKGW posted:

I bought two Intel Macbooks in the time between the M1 was announced at WWDC and the M1 was released in December. :lmao:

I thought the M1 wasn't going to be as fast as Intel and I really thought I would need Windows VM support (I didn't)

Oof that's rough

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Those early iPads were rough, yeah (and the 3 out of the gate). I'm hoping that so much of the stuff that's out nowadays have so much headroom, that unless people are hoping to like plug in their apple AR goggles into them in 2 years, they'll last a good stretch of time.

Clark Nova posted:

lightning cables and especially lightning earpods

Lightning cables are everywhere and ubiquitous

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Lightning cables are everywhere and ubiquitous

I do wonder for how long, 30pin cables vanished rather quickly once every apple device went lightning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I do wonder for how long, 30pin cables vanished rather quickly once every apple device went lightning.

Almost every treadmill at every gym I go to his a 30 pin plug. Some also have usb a but…

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I keep hearing about some Zugu case for the iPad mini that's supposed to be pretty good. It's $50 though, anyone know if it's good or if I should look for something else? I'm looking for good protection and a decent stand with a not very annoying pencil holder.

The official Apple one offers zero protection and I've dropped it twice now.

Did hours of research thanks to Black Friday sales and came to find out that pretty much every iPad case for iPads with Apple Pencil 2 are sucky in some way. :v: The Zugu's case is flimsy on the side where the pencil is which gives less protection on that side, UAG has issues with Touch ID and the plastic part where the pencil snaps in gets in the way if you DON'T use Pencil 2, Spigen's cases don't always charge the pencil, just let it connect, Otterbox's Symmetry Elite case that's only available from Apple or direct from Otterbox.com has a wonky slider issue where the Pencil 2 goes where it can snap off and sometimes permanently break while the Defender series is a fragile mess of plastic hooks that snap and the rubber casing isn't exactly cut out properly.

Also there's one case, forgot the manufacturer, that has a big spot right where some supposed mic hole OR headphone jack goes that doesn't actually exist on the device so it's just a random hole.

Basically, no case is perfect and they all have flaws...just depends on which flaw you can live with. It seems like the pencil being there causes a lot of the issues, really.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems like the pencil being there causes a lot of the issues, really.

It's this, really. The pencil has to magnetically attach to to the side of the ipad to charge, and that means you either get a flimsy side it can charge through or a weird finicky pencil holder thing.

I've got the zugu case for my Air4 and I like it. The sidewalls on the side mounted pencil slot are thick enough and come up high enough to offer a decent amount of drop protection along that edge, and the stand is great as long as you don't want to stand it up in portrait mode. Way better than that "fold the cover into a triangle" nonsense most cases use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

The AirPower wireless charging pad. 0 days available.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I literally just got this one last night

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875ZD59J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It makes a world of difference with the pen. I mostly use mine for contract signing and note taking, but it has changed my opinion on note taking from "I guess I'll use the ipad" to "I want to take notes on the ipad". Gamechanger

I got this and it's great, but man, does it seem impossible to apply this without trapping dust underneath. I hate the screen protector process in general, but I swear this thing was attracting dust from three miles away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another kick in the nuts with the iPad 3 was that it had the old 30 pin connector but the next iPad had lighting lol

The iPad 3 was such poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Waited outside a best buy for four hours before opening on launch day for the ipad 3. the thing wasn't even that hard to find and was a complete pos

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

The AirPower wireless charging pad. 0 days available.

Oh poo poo, thayts right. Same with the White iPhone 4 I believe, although that eventually shipped 10 months later.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/04/28/white.iphone/index.html

quote:

The white model was supposed to ship alongside the black one at the iPhone 4's launch last June. But design and manufacturing complications delayed the process by 10 months, catching Apple off guard, executives say.

As CNN reported last month, earlier test models of the white iPhone 4 produced blurry photos, especially when the flash was used. Its whiteness confused the proximity sensor, which detects when the phone is held next to someone's head and turns off the touchscreen to preserve battery life and prevent apps from being opened accidentally.

What a world it was when Apple couldn't figure out how to make a white iPhone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If we’re talking about kinda lame apple products, i remember everyone hating the iPhone 5C but Verizon gave me one for free* after my android broke and that adorable little green device got me into the magical world of apple :kiddo:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Khizan posted:

It's this, really. The pencil has to magnetically attach to to the side of the ipad to charge, and that means you either get a flimsy side it can charge through or a weird finicky pencil holder thing.

I've got the zugu case for my Air4 and I like it. The sidewalls on the side mounted pencil slot are thick enough and come up high enough to offer a decent amount of drop protection along that edge, and the stand is great as long as you don't want to stand it up in portrait mode. Way better than that "fold the cover into a triangle" nonsense most cases use.

I thought hard about the Zugu for iPad mini 6th generation but there’s that strong magnet on the back that you can use to plop it on the fridge and stuff. My entire room is very bad for strong magnets like that so I had to pass on it.

I ended up going with the Otterbox Symmetry Elite in Orange. Otterbox has a decent enough return policy that I can get a new one if its wonky.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Only just noticed that my iPad has Stage Manager support (2020 Pro, pretty sure that wasn’t the case when it was announced).

Kinda neat I guess, but atm I don’t really see when I’d use it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Only just noticed that my iPad has Stage Manager support (2020 Pro, pretty sure that wasn’t the case when it was announced).

Kinda neat I guess, but atm I don’t really see when I’d use it.

There was a lot of furor when it was all announced and Apple caved, at the time I guess it was seen as being such a key feature.

Depending on what size ipad you have you might get more use out of it. But even with the 11 inch, I sometimes use it if I'm using a mouse and keyboard as it can make organizing my thoughts a bit easier when I can see all the windows. But it's nothing groundbreaking. In fact it often kinda sucks.

buglord posted:

If we’re talking about kinda lame apple products, i remember everyone hating the iPhone 5C but Verizon gave me one for free* after my android broke and that adorable little green device got me into the magical world of apple :kiddo:

Why do people hate this phone. It looked so cool. I'm glad the iphone cases that apple make for the new phones kind of mimic the look and feel of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

There was a lot of furor when it was all announced and Apple caved, at the time I guess it was seen as being such a key feature.

Depending on what size ipad you have you might get more use out of it. But even with the 11 inch, I sometimes use it if I'm using a mouse and keyboard as it can make organizing my thoughts a bit easier when I can see all the windows. But it's nothing groundbreaking. In fact it often kinda sucks.

Why do people hate this phone. It looked so cool. I'm glad the iphone cases that apple make for the new phones kind of mimic the look and feel of it.

The 5C had a slow processor, low RAM or both. Mostly just that.

Stage manager blows , it’s def something apple should have thought through more IMO.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looks like non-M iPads won't be getting external display support. That's the one scenario where I could see myself using Stage Manager.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't had much time to use it on my Air 5 so far, but Stage Manager seems terrible. Had high hopes for windowing comping to the Ipad, but the implementation makes using it a hassle.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone with an iPad Mini 6 have suggestions for controller mounts or even full-on mobile controllers? I'm getting more into game streaming, and I'd really love to be able to use this thing like a weird switch. Thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm curious if anyone's tried that with a 12.9" Pro

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I'm curious if anyone's tried that with a 12.9" Pro

I have a 12.9” pro and using a controller mount for that would break your wrists so hard you’d develop a lisp and a love for drag.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Arivia posted:

I have a 12.9” pro and using a controller mount for that would break your wrists so hard you’d develop a lisp and a love for drag.

what the gently caress

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Arivia posted:

Other goons will critique you for this post, but I personally am glad when someone so proudly declares their hatred of the queer community. It makes it so much easier to just ignore you in future.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Other goons will critique you for this post, but I personally am glad when someone so proudly declares their hatred of the queer community. It makes it so much easier to just ignore you in future.

I’m queer myself. It’s a joke. Chill.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Arivia posted:

I’m queer myself. It’s a joke. Chill.

It was a bad one, and claiming to be a part of the people you’re punching at doesn’t make it less lovely, hth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

It was a bad one, and claiming to be a part of the people you’re punching at doesn’t make it less lovely, hth

I'm not punching at anyone. It's joking about stereotypes. People do that all the time about the groups they're part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Arivia posted:

I'm not punching at anyone. It's joking about stereotypes. People do that all the time about the groups they're part of.

Usually the best jokes are the ones that need explaining. :eng101: