Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Hollandia posted:

Clive Palmer is a lunatic so this checks out.
Isn't that the Titanic 2 guy? o.O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Nazi tank dice is easily top three cringiest things I've seen in this hobby. I'm amazed that this is the first I've heard about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Polygon.com: Playing Nazi Germany against Soviet Russia is a tough sell in the year of our lord 2022

Undaunted: Stalingrad could be the best wargame of the year — just hold your nose

Oh, yeah I figured Osprey was above that poo poo and this game will remain firmly on my wishlist.

Good grief games journalism.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yes he has many tanks irons in the fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

MadScientistWorking posted:

You weren't talking about the movie, were you.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Eastmabl posted:

You weren't talking about the movie, were you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJvexrKjBII
Nope. The guy who is involved tried to make the Titanic 2. Here's a video about the failed project and I believe it goes into some details about some of his problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the popular image of the Eastern Front is literally from the Nazi perspective. The whole idea of human wave tactics and sending soldiers in without guns to pick up dropped ones and all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the popular image of the Eastern Front is literally from the Nazi perspective. The whole idea of human wave tactics and sending soldiers in without guns to pick up dropped ones and all.

Yeah, I think a lot of it comes from books like 'Tigers in the Mud' written by a Panzertrooper and of course he's not going to dwell on the, shall we say, great unpleasantness of his side. That book also probably is where we get the myth of the Tiger as a rolling unstoppable death machine.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Whybird posted:

I'm not anywhere in the industry but if I were designing something like this I'd make it a game where all the players took the Allied side and an automatic system calculated how to move the Nazis

A few years ago I actually picked up a game that did that. It was based on the Battle for Britain. Up to four players, each guarding their own section of British coast from the German planes coming in from France. The movement of the German planes was determined by spinning a wheel every turn.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Skios posted:

A few years ago I actually picked up a game that did that. It was based on the Battle for Britain. Up to four players, each guarding their own section of British coast from the German planes coming in from France. The movement of the German planes was determined by spinning a wheel every turn.

I've played this game! It was pretty good. Early co-op, and needed a lot of record-keeping, but good clean fun.

(Wheeee zooom dakka dakka dakka).

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

That's one in play testing now (Panzeh is participating) where the players are the Allies and the Soviets and then also play the Nazi opponent to the other player (so Allies->East front, Soviets->West front).

But generally with WW2 wargames you just end up having to deal with it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

https://twitter.com/IronCrown1/status/1596157112853356545?t=QpSE8QV2LcxPr-kBpWbzbg&s=19

In lighter news, this is apparently real and actually going to be published. I completely forget ICE even still exists much of the time, and someone on RPGnet commented they'd been running with the old playtest rules they released nine years ago.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

That Old Tree posted:

In lighter news, this is apparently real and actually going to be published. I completely forget ICE even still exists much of the time, and someone on RPGnet commented they'd been running with the old playtest rules they released nine years ago.
Hasn't that niche been entirely filled by the "Against The DarkMaster" RM retroclone?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/Levelupdice/status/1595508333066465280

The bespoke dice industry has finally found a way to go too far:

Honestly, I was expecting dice made from real human bones first.

If they're anything like a real German WW2 tank they'll cost too much and break on the way to the game.

Seriously, gently caress off with the Nazi crap.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 26, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

If they're anything like a real German WW2 tank they'll cost too much and break on the way to the game.

Seriously, gently caress off with the Nazi crap.

I'd rather they get turned into dice and lost and forgotten under a sofa.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

I completely forget ICE even still exists much of the time

:same:

IIRC they went under in the early 2000s and licensed the name and publishing rights to another company so technically it isn’t the same ICE.

In any case, cool that they’re doing a unified system. There’s, what, three or four different versions of the rules at this point?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd rather they get turned into dice and lost and forgotten under a sofa.

They should be turned into dice with Jewish and LBGTQIA imagery. Nothing but the biggest disrespect for those historic monsters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

King of Solomon posted:

dice with Jewish and LBGTQIA imagery

so some sort of

thinks really hard

geidel!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so some sort of

thinks really hard

geidel!

:yeshaha:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Koba posted:

:same:

IIRC they went under in the early 2000s and licensed the name and publishing rights to another company so technically it isn’t the same ICE.

Yeah, they went bankrupt in 2000 due to a number of factors, and were resurrected by someone who wanted to keep the company going. IIRC some French business entity wound up owning the IP after the bankruptcy, and someone bought it and licensed it first to Aurigas/Mjolnir and, when that didn't survive, to Guild Companion which was the long-running ICE fanzine entity. And maybe it's transformed back to its own thing now, because everything used to be like "ICE by Mjolnir" or "ICE with Guild Companion" but now it seems like all the recent stuff just says "Copyright ICE"?

quote:

In any case, cool that they’re doing a unified system. There’s, what, three or four different versions of the rules at this point?

As far as Rolemaster-Rolemaster goes there're basically just two big different versions, RM2/Classic/Express, and RM Standard/FRP. The big difference between them is how complex stat bonuses to skills are and how the skill list is structured. Within those two branches it's mostly organizational differences, but that can be a big deal with how huge an impact all the bits and bobs might have depending on how optional you make them. Then there's stuff like MERP and HARP, which are clearly offshoots but so different I'm not sure how you could "unify" them under a single Rolemaster thingy. Honestly, the whole "unify" talk sounds a lot like D&D Next: Trying to pretend like you can please everyone even though doing so is patently impossible. There's no reasonable way you're stuffing the two very different ways of doing skill lists into a single core book, so at best if you want to do both one will be the "right" way that everything works off of, and one will be the optional way that may or may not get full support in subsequent books. Or they're going to end up doing something really different, which I doubt would a) please either side of the existing Rolemaster split or b) matter much to outsiders/newcomers because no one cares about Rolemaster anymore and it's never going to be popular again.

From what I recall of the 10-year old playtest documents, they were mostly going with RMSS/FRP and tweaking it a little. But I have no idea what's changed in the literal decade since that came out, since the last time I thought about RMU was when a former developer/author was spilling drama about the company being a shitshow on RPGnet, and that was years ago too.

EDIT:

There's nothing on the actual main website about this, but they are talking about it on the forums. The blog on the website hasn't been updated since December 2020, and if you click on any of their product pages you get this:

There're some hilarious posts about "marketing budget" stuff in the forum, but even for a shoestring twice-resurrected corpse like ICE this is a pretty sorry state in which to re-launch your flagship product. Just, fukken, get a wordpress or something and put up some previews, goddamn.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 26, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

Then there's stuff like MERP and HARP, which are clearly offshoots but so different I'm not sure how you could "unify" them under a single Rolemaster thingy.

HARP seems to be doing well enough to have new supplements published for it as late as 2022, so maybe they’ll keep that as a separate product line?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Koba posted:

HARP seems to be doing well enough to have new supplements published for it as late as 2022, so maybe they’ll keep that as a separate product line?

They're certainly making an effort, but I'm pretty wary of a 350-page subclass supplement and a 450-page bestiary. Who is that really for? How is that making money? I smell sub-¢2 per word labor.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

They're certainly making an effort, but I'm pretty wary of a 350-page subclass supplement and a 450-page bestiary. Who is that really for? How is that making money? I smell sub-¢2 per word labor.

I was under the impression that as long as you stick to PoD/PDF releases only, you don’t need to sell that many copies before turning a profit, and like you point out it gets even easier if you underpay people or pay them in “exposure”.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

I was under the impression that as long as you stick to PoD/PDF releases only, you don’t need to sell that many copies before turning a profit, and like you point out it gets even easier if you underpay people or pay them in “exposure”.

Considering they were already doing this in the early 90s with RM2, where they would simultaneously publish basically anything sent to them, and then forget to mailout the checks (based on my conversations with the very nice lady who wrote the Tarot Mage from RM Companion VII, which is easily the most detailed of any subclass in the book), it would be just par for the course.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I was just looking up stuff about Rolemaster the other day. I still have my stack of OG Rm and MERP books, and I was trying to see if they were still around. I played a game of Rolemaster at Gen Con like 5 years ago. The guy running it said he was working on a new version, which I guess would be this play test. He was going to send us copies of the rules but I never got anything.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so some sort of

thinks really hard

geidel!

Geidel Geidel Geidel, I made you out of Panzers

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno why but MERP calls to me in a weird way. I look into it every few years.

Not to play or even consider playing - just to check out their take on an extended LotR setting for gaming.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Reaper's CEO died. Don't know anything about him to be honest, but his company makes a decent product for cheap.

https://twitter.com/reapermini/status/1596706703055413249?s=20

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 27, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Not a lot of new information, but Polygon's got a decent read of an article about boom and bust crowdfunding, mostly focused on Wyrmwood.

Tabletop creators are trapped in a boom and bust crowdfunding cycle

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Funzo posted:

I was just looking up stuff about Rolemaster the other day. I still have my stack of OG Rm and MERP books, and I was trying to see if they were still around. I played a game of Rolemaster at Gen Con like 5 years ago. The guy running it said he was working on a new version, which I guess would be this play test. He was going to send us copies of the rules but I never got anything.

Against the Dark Master?

https://www.vsdarkmaster.com/

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno why but MERP calls to me in a weird way. I look into it every few years.

Not to play or even consider playing - just to check out their take on an extended LotR setting for gaming.

I liked the game. My mom wrote a couple of adventures for them back in the late 80s.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MERP had some really great supplements. The system was, uh, maybe not the best choice for a Middle-Earth game.

Sadly no MERP stuff seems to be available as (legal) PDF:s. Is this related to ICE losing the Tolkien licensing?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Not a lot of new information, but Polygon's got a decent read of an article about boom and bust crowdfunding, mostly focused on Wyrmwood.

Tabletop creators are trapped in a boom and bust crowdfunding cycle

I very occasionally see cool stuff on Kickstarter that I want to back. Once a year maybe. But sometimes you see the same companies doing the same stuff.

I get you need capital, but also it feels like companies are just tossing stuff on kickstarter that they could probably just be advertising and selling without all these tons of stretch goals etc.

Also, who the hell is buying 3k+ desks? Gaming tables? Sure. But Yeesh. They don’t even look particularly cool or interesting compared to regular desks.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comrade Koba posted:

MERP had some really great supplements. The system was, uh, maybe not the best choice for a Middle-Earth game.

It was the 80s. Systems were different.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Koba posted:

Sadly no MERP stuff seems to be available as (legal) PDF:s. Is this related to ICE losing the Tolkien licensing?

Yeah, just like how all The One Ring 1st edition stuff isn't available anymore since it changed hands from C7 to FL, and Decipher's LotRRPG when their license ended.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
MERP was a very good system for playing D&D style adventures (fighting monsters and getting treasure in dungeons and wilderness) in the world of Tolkien's Middle Earth. It's basically Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, except with Ents and Nazgul and Balrogs instead of Drow and Beholders. Which is fine, if not particularly Tolkienian.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cessna posted:

It was the 80s. Systems were different.

Rules-light systems existed in the 80's, I used to play some of them at the time.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with MERP as a system (I'd even say it's the best version of Rolemaster out there), but like FMGuru already pointed out it didn't lend itself very well to telling the type of stories you'd expect from a Middle-Earth setting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cessna posted:

I liked the game. My mom wrote a couple of adventures for them back in the late 80s.
Oh, that's awesome.

MERP adventures feel very weird and unexpected. They're set up so differently than adventures today or even from D&D back in the day. Tons of focus on NPCs and sites and politics, and you need to find the adventure usually.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comrade Koba posted:

Rules-light systems existed in the 80's, I used to play some of them at the time.

I'm not saying they didn't.

Rather - dense, thick systems like Rolemaster were seen as More Serious, the sort of thing Real Gamers played, thus the sort of rules used for a prestigious title like Tolkien.

Comrade Koba posted:

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with MERP as a system (I'd even say it's the best version of Rolemaster out there), but like FMGuru already pointed out it didn't lend itself very well to telling the type of stories you'd expect from a Middle-Earth setting.

Agreed.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Free League's One Ring? I haven't, but wonder if it would be worth a look.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cessna posted:

Out of curiosity, have you seen Free League's One Ring? I haven't, but wonder if it would be worth a look.

I've only read through it briefly and haven't gotten to play it yet, but it does seem like a system that was written and designed from the ground up to emulate the general feel of Tolkien's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The One Ring 1e is one of the best games ever written when it comes to genre-/source-material-emulation.

Sadly, TOR 2e is a bit of a step down from 1e as it sands away some of the source-material-emulation mechanics in favour of being slightly more streamlined, and the shift in setting from Rhovanion to Eriador seems designed to appeal to fans of the LotR films more than fans of Middle-earth as a setting (i.e. Rhovanion has much more interesting things to do and places to go to within Middle-earth). It's still pretty good, and it's not too hard to leverage the Rhovanion stuff from 1e for use with 2e if you can find the books (which you can no longer buy anywhere).