Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think the difference cicadalek means is that wow actively tries to foster that dynamic while ffxiv tries to disincentivize it as much as possible, and i think it's true that it leads to a generally much healthier community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I will be the best MNK in the world with full spell speed melds so help me Hydaelyn.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

flatluigi posted:

i think the difference cicadalek means is that wow actively tries to foster that dynamic while ffxiv tries to disincentivize it as much as possible, and i think it's true that it leads to a generally much healthier community

Watching the video, I have to disagree with the statement that WoW designs fights with mods in mind. Sometimes they create fights that mods are very necessary for, but legitimately there's stuff in FFXIV that is much harder to do than anything in WoW. Mods aren't necessary, they just help, and the playerbase as a whole adopt them but the argument Blizzard design with them expected is one that frustrates me personally.

That idea that WoW designs with mods in mind for fights is one of the things that is used to argue that WoW fosters the dynamic involved. I would argue that it is much more that WoW doesn't do anything to stop this, and when they do people get mad at them for breaking mods.

FFXIV has a healthier community, for the majority, but all those things in WoW still exist and as someone who enjoys hard group content, I've met exactly the same sort of people in both games and they suck equally in both. Plus FFXIV has some of it's own community issues, Mentors for example.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

No that still exists in FFXIV, it's just much more contained. All the whining about Machinist is related to this (no matter how accurate it is that Machinist is too weak).

Sucky people exist everywhere, the issue with WoW raiding (and it can be avoided by finding friends to play with instead of accepting assholes) is that the suckiness trickles down more than in FFXIV.

WoW also has an issue where people vastly overestimate the need for optimisation, compared to the content they're doing. You really only need to be fully perfectly optimised for world first mythic raiding, just about everything else except high level mythic dungeon keys don't require nearly that much (and even mythic doesn't always require it, as someone who has easily kept up with mythic raiding guilds despite not playing optimal talent builds).

It's not really a question of overestimating the amount of optimization required; if there's something for you to optimize and you're not actively pursuing it, a lot of players will consider you to be a bad player even if you're meeting whatever damage/healing/mitigation requirements that the content demands. This applies to FFXIV as well; just because P5S lists 600 as the minimum ilvl for the content doesn't mean that people want you to show up with an i600 average when you could get at least 610 from normal mode raids, especially 3 months into the tier.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Watching the video, I have to disagree with the statement that WoW designs fights with mods in mind. Sometimes they create fights that mods are very necessary for, but legitimately there's stuff in FFXIV that is much harder to do than anything in WoW. Mods aren't necessary, they just help, and the playerbase as a whole adopt them but the argument Blizzard design with them expected is one that frustrates me personally.

That idea that WoW designs with mods in mind for fights is one of the things that is used to argue that WoW fosters the dynamic involved. I would argue that it is much more that WoW doesn't do anything to stop this, and when they do people get mad at them for breaking mods.

FFXIV has a healthier community, for the majority, but all those things in WoW still exist and as someone who enjoys hard group content, I've met exactly the same sort of people in both games and they suck equally in both. Plus FFXIV has some of it's own community issues, Mentors for example.

Ion has gone on record saying that they design fights in WoW with mods in mind since otherwise DBM and WeakAuras would immediately trivialize the content so this isn't a theory of Dan's but an actual thing that the game director said during an interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmsFb9mf6M&t=935s

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

QuantaStarFire posted:

Ion has gone on record saying that they design fights in WoW with mods in mind since otherwise DBM and WeakAuras would immediately trivialize the content so this isn't a theory of Dan's but an actual thing that the game director said during an interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmsFb9mf6M&t=935s

You know what, that's fair, I think perhaps I'm using the wrong language. Very rarely is addons REQUIRED to kill a thing in WoW, even if it's made with addons in mind the way around them tends to be making things addons can't solve, not mechanics so difficult you need addons to do them. It's specifically followed with "We don't want you to feel like you have to download mods to do stuff in game." Which is the point I was trying to make, these raids can be done without addons, and many of the stuff in FFXIV raids is actively harder than things people use mods for in WoW.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

You know what, that's fair, I think perhaps I'm using the wrong language. Very rarely is addons REQUIRED to kill a thing in WoW, even if it's made with addons in mind the way around them tends to be making things addons can't solve, not mechanics so difficult you need addons to do them. It's specifically followed with "We don't want you to feel like you have to download mods to do stuff in game." Which is the point I was trying to make, these raids can be done without addons, and many of the stuff in FFXIV raids is actively harder than things people use mods for in WoW.

In theory, you don't need addons; in practice, people will make you download them (and one of the example mods they talk about in the Folding Ideas video is a WeakAura that bricks unless everyone in the raid has it installed, so you can be singled out if you don't have it) or they just won't invite you to do content because at that point you're actively choosing to play worse.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Heroic fate-ring-rotator was pretty much unviable without the addon assigning buffed folk to specific rings, way too quick decision making, way too laggy mechanism, and way too many things that could go wrong based on tiny variations in ping.

edit: in summary, gently caress that kind of fight design. The dance of ffxiv is infinitely superior.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

G-Spot Run posted:

heroic fate-ring-rotator was pretty much unviable without the addon assigning buffed folk to specific rings, way too quick decision making, way too laggy mechanism, and way too many things that could go wrong based on tiny variations in ping.

Oh yeah, and I cannot imagine doing Lords of Dread without the voting addon, unless you were in voice chat and even then the addon is much quicker. But I think that there should be an understanding of the separation between the things caused by design, and the things caused by player response to design.

You definitely can do Lords of Dread using voice chat instead of the addon, the player base chooses the addon because it's the "best" option, not because it's a required one, and in turn that makes it required by players but not the game design. To me, this is an interesting space to consider and discuss, and turning it into just the players or just the game design feels disengenous.

Especially in relation to stuff in FFXIV like P4S Phase 2, or P6S or P8S Phase 1. Things that the game aren't particularly great at presenting (massive debuff collections) being intense mechanical checks that you can't use addons for, far more intense than WoW requiring a bit of communication about who is taking which ring.

It just feels a bit disengenuous to me I guess, to blame Addons for the difficulty and design of parts of WoW raiding being seen as too far. When I myself rarely used addons to raid, because I found I played worse with them (as unloading that mental capacity meant I got sloppier on mechanical execution).

The games are doing different things, I appreciate and enjoy the fight design of both. WoW sometimes has some stinkers (Fatescribe is poo poo) but in return WoW has some really fun ideas that would never exist in FFXIV (off the top of my head, it's hard but the ballroom fight in Castle Nathria is a lot of goofy fun with the literal dance floor intermission).

Which yes, there is Suzaku and her EX, but that's two expansions ago, and a big issue in the current savage raid design compared to say, the Alliance Raid design, is how very uninventive it can feel at times.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 26, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'd say that the HC sections of P8S p2 count as a fun intermission section. I even get to break out Clemency for them for once.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

I'd say that the HC sections of P8S p2 count as a fun intermission section. I even get to break out Clemency for them for once.

It's also basically a solved puzzle though, I do really like it conceptually though and the solution is rad in a way that normally seems reserved for Ultimates. I think it's a numbers game, WoW raids have 9-12 bosses, FFXIV have 4, so you're more likely to get weird designs in WoW than FFXIV, even if both teams can and have been very inventive at times.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

That questline tends to be the most polarizing of the role quests, I think because it asks you to be broadly sympathetic towards religious people, which nerds tend not to love--especially nerds playing JRPGs.

I don't think it's because it asks for sympathy towards religious people, so much as it's the fact that it's just hammering again on the one goddamn plotline Ishgard ever has. Due to the nature of the game world they're never going to make meaningful progress on that, but they don't have to go back to the Scholasticate well for every loving questline there. Other things can happen!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Khizan posted:

I don't think it's because it asks for sympathy towards religious people, so much as it's the fact that it's just hammering again on the one goddamn plotline Ishgard ever has. Due to the nature of the game world they're never going to make meaningful progress on that, but they don't have to go back to the Scholasticate well for every loving questline there. Other things can happen!

Also the Scholasticate does the entire thing way better.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are the tank role quests in Gridania not polarizing, because they're just bad full stop?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Role quest was more on the critical path rather than totally optional so I'll cut it a little slack for trying, but yeah Scholasticate did it better for sure

orcane posted:

Are the tank role quests in Gridania not polarizing, because they're just bad full stop?

It's "good" in the sense that it made a very, very, small step toward acknowledging that everything is not Just Fine with the Gridania system. There's a small hope we might get a little more in a treetown variant dungeon. The writers don't seem to want to get into Grids issues that much and it wasn't the citystate of a full xpac either so who knows.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 26, 2022

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

double post~

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I like Curious Gorge
edit: I also missed "Gridania" in that post so I guess this is just a Curious Gorge appreciation post now

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

It's not really a question of overestimating the amount of optimization required; if there's something for you to optimize and you're not actively pursuing it, a lot of players will consider you to be a bad player even if you're meeting whatever damage/healing/mitigation requirements that the content demands. This applies to FFXIV as well; just because P5S lists 600 as the minimum ilvl for the content doesn't mean that people want you to show up with an i600 average when you could get at least 610 from normal mode raids, especially 3 months into the tier.

to be fair, that's less because gear is an expression of player skill, and more that gear makes up for player skill. in a perfect world we're all good players with good gear, but between good players with mediocre gear, mediocre players with good gear, and mediocre players with mediocre gear, you can only really filter based on gear. when you're hard stuck on p7s due to 0.9% enrages on deathless runs for three weeks in a row, maybe it's time to crank up that 615 ilvl requirement to a 618 ilvl one

also "whatever mitigation requirements that the content demands" isn't real, that's a lie made up by Big DPS to keep the little healer down so they don't have to ever press addle or feint even once in their lives. in the early weeks of p8s before people had an hp advantage thanks to better gear, if i didn't slam on extra shields people would die to sunforge flares, and the times i didn't there's always a dps going "but i was at full health, why did i die?", well maybe you shoulda addled that bud.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Black Griffon posted:

I like Curious Gorge
edit: I also missed "Gridania" in that post so I guess this is just a Curious Gorge appreciation post now
hell who doesn't

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure they'll use the forgotten 1.0 Gelmorran stuff as the basis for a Gridanian variant dungeon, though honestly I've been waiting for a FF4 style underworld zone for ages and would like to see something tie into that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am glad addons are mostly hush hush because you just know that you'd never get into groups if you didn't install autocombo or whatever because of tattle addons.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

in my current static we joke that some people really need to install cactbot just to be able to remember what their loving number was on dog

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

orcane posted:

Got to keep that stupid tree happy so it doesn't murder everyone in the forest

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The gridania quests were my favorite

Healing the earth and learning to live with it and all that

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hell who doesn't

Having him go through almost the exact same character arc in HW as he did in ARR wasn’t great, though the Stormblood line made up for that.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

gridania would be more fun if it had plotlines about things that weren't the elementals, but we can't talk about ixal/sylphs ever because of tribe quests and we can't do gelmorra because ???. sure, limsa and ul'dah also only have one premise apiece (sid meier's pirates, syndicate bad), but those are more fun than "elemental-related miscommunication".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Valentin posted:

gridania would be more fun if it had plotlines about things that weren't the elementals, but we can't talk about ixal/sylphs ever because of tribe quests and we can't do gelmorra because ???. sure, limsa and ul'dah also only have one premise apiece (sid meier's pirates, syndicate bad), but those are more fun than "elemental-related miscommunication".

Extended Gridania quests could just be Beatin doing Beatin things. If you haven't done any carpenter quests, he'll just stand there waiting impatiently for you to do them before you can continue with the Gridania story.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would have been good to give gridania some characters over the last 10+ years. But oh well

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

It would have been good to give gridania some characters over the last 10+ years. But oh well

gridania has important characters such as "unnamed serpent guy"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The leatherworking guild lady was fun, but we're legally limited to a maximum of one mean lady in heels per expansion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The symptoms described in that video are very recognizable in ffxiv, even in extremely easy content, it's just that xiv isn't quite as far down the road, either by design or just because fewer years have passed. But the anecdote about people yelling at you if you go left instead of right in a dungeon is basically the same thing as tanking bone dragon center. The constant friction over big pulls is exactly their point about instrumental play filtering down to content where it's more of a social constraint than something the game itself is asking for. I've seen PFs wait for an hour for a ranged physical to join for fights where double caster or triple melee would have been completely fine. The passage about unspoken rules determining player behavior in farm content is exactly how you get PFs that have descriptions which are completely impenetrable to people who don't use PF

Like the game isn't ruined by any of this and in particular you'll pull big pulls from my cold dead hands but pretty much everything the video brought up is present to some degree in this game as well, with the possible exception of add-ons specifically (and even then I believe PF expects you to use them in uwu)

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 26, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm looking at you, PFs with 600+ req for Sephirot Unreal. Thing synchs you down to 565 or some poo poo. I frequently join on my 630 main just to switch to a 585 job cause gently caress those guys

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nessus posted:

The leatherworking guild lady was fun, but we're legally limited to a maximum of one mean lady in heels per expansion.

Geva is a Small Business Tyrant and in this YouTube video I will take two hours examining labor relations in all the crafting questlines -

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Technical question: if I use MS authenticator for my 2FA on my current phone, is there any reason why getting a new phone and transferring everything there would break Ff14 2FA? A couple months back I noticed the update text in the launcher that indicated that Ff14 will break if you don't turn off 2FA first via MOG station, then swap phones and and turn 2FA back on from scratch. I can't figure out what would make Ff14 special and am curious if it's all just some S-E paranoia to avoid customer support calls.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zachack posted:

Technical question: if I use MS authenticator for my 2FA on my current phone, is there any reason why getting a new phone and transferring everything there would break Ff14 2FA? A couple months back I noticed the update text in the launcher that indicated that Ff14 will break if you don't turn off 2FA first via MOG station, then swap phones and and turn 2FA back on from scratch. I can't figure out what would make Ff14 special and am curious if it's all just some S-E paranoia to avoid customer support calls.

FF14 used to have its own authenticator app that was locked to the phone. If you use the new method that uses standard TOTP, you don't have to worry about that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

And by "used to" it only started supporting any other apps in April of this year.

So glad they made the migration finally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Funky Valentine posted:

Geva is a Small Business Tyrant and in this YouTube video I will take two hours examining labor relations in all the crafting questlines -
Hildibrand was a fine quest line but its politics were a bit iffy. wouldve been way better if at the end Godbert Manderville turned to the camera & said "I am communist now" & then specified hes the exact kind of communist i am

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Still waiting on Alisae to say "gently caress the police"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Tamba posted:

FF14 used to have its own authenticator app that was locked to the phone. If you use the new method that uses standard TOTP, you don't have to worry about that.

It still exists and I still use it as ... I haven't felt the need to switch over. laziness and all that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kazy posted:

And by "used to" it only started supporting any other apps in April of this year.

So glad they made the migration finally.

Last year, some time around the 5.5 update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thundarr posted:

Extended Gridania quests could just be Beatin doing Beatin things. If you haven't done any carpenter quests, he'll just stand there waiting impatiently for you to do them before you can continue with the Gridania story.

Kan-E-Senna having a very hush-hush meeting to explain to you that, because something something dynamis something something natural balance, Beatin's unacknowledged sexual frustration is now a matter of national security