Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I made the mistake of playing it while intoxicated, the puzzles were not for me in that state of mind. Gotta have a clear head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

:sickos: New Alien movie in the works :sickos:

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Momentum is revving up on 20th Century Studios new Alien movie as sources tell Deadline Cailee Spaeny is in talks to star. Fede Alvarez is directing with Scott Free producing.

20th Century had no comment.

Not much is known about the pic other than the iconic ferocious race of alien beings called Xenomorphs will be front and center again reigning terror against the humans that cross their paths. 20th Century and Scott Free made this a top priority after hearing Alvarez's pitch and after a recent script was delivered, things only gained speed in getting this film in front of cameras by early 2023.

While execs are going through their process on other cast members, Spaeny has been the top choice for the lead role for some time following several meetings with producers and Alvarez.

Source

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fede Alvarez is a solid choice to give an alien movie to. Never heard of the actor they want as the lead but she's got the Ripley look lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wouldn't say she looks anything like Ripley, but Alvarez is an interesting choice.

Can we give Ridley Scott his final loving film already though? The man started the franchise, let him finish his project.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney won’t let him. But I agree. What excites me about this new film is he’s doing it fully stand alone. So that’s cool.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sigher posted:

I wouldn't say she looks anything like Ripley, but Alvarez is an interesting choice.

Can we give Ridley Scott his final loving film already though? The man started the franchise, let him finish his project.

It would be nice if they let Scott finish his trilogy yeah.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I want Aliens vs Engineers more than I ever wanted aliens versus predators. The idea of the divine being degraded and used as a mere incubator by the profane cosmic accident-inevitability of the xenomorph is such good horror, it's something Scorn played on really well. All this fetishized self-adoring grandeur and a thing lurking in it, waiting to prey on the arrogance of the architects.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

General Battuta posted:

I want Aliens vs Engineers

It's been a while, but this is basically StarCraft, isn't it?

Anyway you all know how I feel about Ridley Scott's prequels. I think he did get the chance to finish the trilogy, at least in a proof-of-concept sense. It was called Raised By Wolves and it was loving wack.

I haven't seen Don't Breathe but I really liked Alvarez' Evil Dead remake. High hopes for this

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I felt this way about Conan too,there was a lot of rumor/talk of a third Arnold Conan movie with Milius on board around the time Milius was working on HBO Rome it airing. But like that shiw felt like it covered so much of that territory already.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anyone else reading the current 'Alien' comic? 3 issues in so far, and I'm enjoying it. It's focused on a spec ops unit of synthetics called "Steel Team" and they're all super hot lol. [edit] I also enjoy how they're kitted out with guns that you can use in the Aliens Fireteam game.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 26, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

I felt this way about Conan too,there was a lot of rumor/talk of a third Arnold Conan movie with Milius on board around the time Milius was working on HBO Rome it airing. But like that shiw felt like it covered so much of that territory already.

I'd loving kill for this to happen.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

sigher posted:

I'd loving kill for this to happen.

This Milius script was called “King Conan” and you can find an early draft online.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

sigher posted:

I don't think Ridley Scott really cares anymore, hes moved on to other things and seems fine with doing historical epics like The Last Duel and upcoming Napoleon(which reportedly tested very well a few weeks ago so fingers crossed) which I'm more than cool with since hes the only person that does those on big budgets / scale anymore.

I don't hate Covenant, but it does feel like a mini Rise of Skywalker situation(though not nearly as bad) where the studio had some stipulations for Ridley in order to finance it because of the extremely polarizing reactions to Prometheus. The result is a movie that feels like its trying to be both a sequel to Prometheus and an Alien prequel proper thats not fully successful at either. I would've much preferred the original idea to move even further away from Alien where David & Shaw to go off and find 'Paradise' which obviously would've been a twisted Lovecraftian space nightmare.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Raised by Wolves owned and its cancellation was criminal

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I loved it. Its so depressing that stuff like that gets canceled and you're left hoping that 1 out of every 4 star wars series is at least watchable

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

I haven't seen Don't Breathe but I really liked Alvarez' Evil Dead remake. High hopes for this

First Don't Breathe is a pretty good spin on the home invasion genre. The second one didn't need to be made, which Alvarez didn't direct but did co-write and produce and it's just kind of bad at its core even if the actors are fine.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just finished season 2 and I can concur with this.

The most hosed up part about its cancellation is HBO did it anyway despite the showrunner having written all 5 planned seasons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gresh posted:

I don't think Ridley Scott really cares anymore, hes moved on to other things and seems fine with doing historical epics like The Last Duel and upcoming Napoleon(which reportedly tested very well a few weeks ago so fingers crossed) which I'm more than cool with since hes the only person that does those on big budgets / scale anymore.

I don't hate Covenant, but it does feel like a mini Rise of Skywalker situation(though not nearly as bad) where the studio had some stipulations for Ridley in order to finance it because of the extremely polarizing reactions to Prometheus. The result is a movie that feels like its trying to be both a sequel to Prometheus and an Alien prequel proper thats not fully successful at either. I would've much preferred the original idea to move even further away from Alien where David & Shaw to go off and find 'Paradise' which obviously would've been a twisted Lovecraftian space nightmare.
I missed the last round of Prometheus chat but my opinion is that Prometheus is a bad film but good lore: the galaxy is riddled with Weird Stuff made by Weird Guys, good luck with that. I've no interest in watching the film again but I'd be more than happy to investigate other media in the same universe.

By contrast, absolutely nothing about Aliens 4 or Covenant makes me want to learn more. e: with the latter making the potential of Prometheus retroactively worse.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 29, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:thumbsdown:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MLSM posted:

The most hosed up part about its cancellation is HBO did it anyway despite the showrunner having written all 5 planned seasons.

Reality television is a cancer we did not excise in its infancy, and now the people who gained power from the genre's success murder good scripted television.

Oh well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Part of the reason I don't watch TV shows, other than being a massive time investment, I don't want to get into some project only to find that it gets shitcanned before the ending.

I was scarred forever when they cancelled Pirates of the Dark Water, never again!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MLSM posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. :( Wonder if the show runner will try to finish it elsewhere like with The Expanse or if that's not a thing with HBO stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just put out a novelization. I would buy it. Praise Sol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Was that part of the Great Purge?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dawgstar posted:

Was that part of the Great Purge?

I'm not sure. I want to say it happened a little earlier but I don't follow behind-the-scenes industry stuff that closely, maybe there's overlap.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pretty sure it was cancelled before the merger. Kinda surprised it got a second season to begin with. I love the stupid thing but it’s very much a niche show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen it. Does the second season end on some sort of cliffhanger or is there closure?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Reality television is a cancer we did not excise in its infancy, and now the people who gained power from the genre's success murder good scripted television.

Oh well.

You're not going to kill a cancer that costs almost nothing to make and does good numbers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I've never seen it. Does the second season end on some sort of cliffhanger or is there closure?

It ends on an enormous cliffhanger, but given that the show is batshit insane top to bottom it's kind of a suitable conclusion. I mean the last words spoken on screen are 'what the gently caress' and that's just the perfect wrap-up.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You're not going to kill a cancer that costs almost nothing to make and does good numbers.

Yeah, I know. That horse left the barn long ago.

General Battuta posted:

It ends on an enormous cliffhanger, but given that the show is batshit insane top to bottom it's kind of a suitable conclusion. I mean the last words spoken on screen are 'what the gently caress' and that's just the perfect wrap-up.

Gonna give it a try next break I get.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

It ends in a similar way Alien Covenant did.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MLSM posted:

Lmao if this is true I'll eat a broomstick. Season two was a clinic in 'throwing poo poo at the walls and answering absolutely nothing.'

Cool production design (except for that dogshit day-for-night treatment), good acting, otherwise wack as gently caress.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nah season two gave a surprising number of pretty concrete answers. I wonder if they knew they were gonna get canceled and decided to frontload some stuff.

The wack was absolutely the point.

boscoman
May 14, 2004

Eats like a meal...

Xenomrph posted:

I got drunk and then my nerf pulse rifle came in the mail and I have the biggest grin on my face. I am blown the gently caress away that this exists and I am holding one in my hands. This thing was worth every penny.

Agreed. I was a bit disappointed with the firing sounds, but otherwise, it's brilliant.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

An upsidedownhanger, you could say even.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Terminator movies come up from time to time in this thread so hope no one monds me posting this

Pretty good oral history article I found talking about T2

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/6/30/22555687/terminator-2-judgement-day-t2-oral-history

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is definitely also the Terminator thread.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Read that article. It's great. Although I wouldn't want to work for James Cameron, since he seems to run very hot and cold with his production crew. Dude's an absolute mega-talent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yo, if anyone is looking for Alien like films that aren't actually apart of the franchise, I'd highly recommend 1992's Zeiram. I posted a little about it in the kaiju thread, but in brief: an alien bioweapon escapes to Earth, only two blue collar schlub's with the electric company can stop it.