Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ruthless should allow trade but only through the D2JSP forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Surely if we're going retro with this thing it would be IRC, no?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, here's a dumb question from a lapsed player - how can I can tell if my Neversink filter is still working? It says it's applied but I'm not sure - it's show me lots of trash items but I'm also only at the mud flats. Do these item filters end up out of date and need to be replaced? I'm playing in classic solo self found so there's not a danger of me not having an entry for whatever is the new seasonal stuff.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It probably still is. If you just took the stock semi-strict and didn't apply any leveling presets it will show a lot in the very beginning of the game.

I'd update it anyway, guessing that's quite a few new items/bases your old filter won't recognize and either downplay or hide that it shouldn't.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, here's a dumb question from a lapsed player - how can I can tell if my Neversink filter is still working? It says it's applied but I'm not sure - it's show me lots of trash items but I'm also only at the mud flats. Do these item filters end up out of date and need to be replaced? I'm playing in classic solo self found so there's not a danger of me not having an entry for whatever is the new seasonal stuff.

If by classic you mean standard, and you have characters from past leagues migrated to standard, go into your hideout and drop stuff on the ground. Your filter will go off and you can see how the game will react to various things appearing.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

saintonan posted:

If by classic you mean standard, and you have characters from past leagues migrated to standard, go into your hideout and drop stuff on the ground. Your filter will go off and you can see how the game will react to various things appearing.

dropping stuff on the ground in your hideout? lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At least the game will warn you when you try to do that.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

saintonan posted:

go into your hideout and drop stuff on the ground
:catstare:

The stash area in the sulphite mines is good for this though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Item filters should be updated every now and then to account for new items added to the game. An old one will probably still technically work but I would recommend just grabbing the current one off filterblade. Also neversink's filter takes the level of the area you're in into consideration when deciding what to show. It shows more items at low levels than it does high levels. It'll probably show almost everything if not everything in mud flats.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I vaguely knew/suspected Neversink understood that someone facing down Hillock probably needed whatever stupid poo poo they could find, but it was dropping various orbs and it wasn't really coloring them and I was doubtful. I'll just go download a new one I guess. The only reason I hesitated is because I did this years ago and don't really remember how but I'm sure it's something I can google in ~5 minutes.

Playing an "idle" summoner by the way, fun challenge. Not exactly a power build, but drat I sure do love sipping a beer and watching number go up while I do absolutely nothing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the default filter doesn't put very exciting coloring on single wisdom scrolls or trans orbs etc. It does if they're in a stack, though.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

These days you can directly subscribe to neversink's/whoever's filters on the poe website and they stay updated all the time. Haven't touched mine in ages.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
on the subject of item filters, I highly recommend everyone go to https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Tytykiller/item-filters

and subscribe to aaacaster aaamelee and aaaranged which are all the racing leveling filters (basically they hugely highlight relevantly colored 3 links and story-relevant currency and items)

E: wait do those still require a sound pack?

E2: they do, join tyty's discord https://discord.gg/Fj3JXnhM , go to the filter channel and at the top of the channel is filter_sounds_v3.rar. Extract that into the Documents/my games/path of exile directory

If there's an easy place to host a small file I can upload it directly, but idk where that would be these days.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 26, 2022

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
discord, my catte

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So you mean to tell me I need to play this game without Maven_Moans.wav

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
idr who but someone here gave me their nem3 filter that used a bunch of gachi sounds for currency drops and lol that's how you set up a filter

J
Jun 10, 2001

Oh yeah totally forgot you want to update your item filter anyways because they switched divines and exalts this league so you'd want correct highlighting for that alone.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

J posted:

Oh yeah totally forgot you want to update your item filter anyways because they switched divines and exalts this league so you'd want correct highlighting for that alone.

realized the built in game filter sounds for that switch will seem odd.

He goes on and on about the exalted orb just being the best while the divine orb speech is like you found a nickel with gum stuck to it .

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVIL Gibson posted:

realized the built in game filter sounds for that switch will seem odd.

He goes on and on about the exalted orb just being the best while the divine orb speech is like you found a nickel with gum stuck to it .

its so funny that they didn't change that lol. maybe they can't get Shaper back.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

eh, I'm really liking the look of ruthless and I will probably be playing ruthless at least half the time in upcoming leagues

something about slowly grinding your way up with poo poo you find on the ground tickles my brain

it becomes more of an adventure and less of a poebuild.exe

getting excited about a middle of the pack support gem dropping sounds kinda fun

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 26, 2022

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ik sleeping on the job. recommend builds from leagues ago to newbies

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

kripp still the poe master after all these years

https://clips.twitch.tv/HelplessNeighborlyGrassHoneyBadger-1sReaMP8sLlRBcXK

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be kind of cool if the currency RNG was way more favorable to encourage you to actually alch craft and stuff. Otherwise it kinda seems like in ruthless trade you'd be even more of a fool than normal to ever orb craft anything.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ruthless streamer client strikes again

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I subscribe to balormage's filters because the leveling filter is good and he uses the purple colors

that is, if he is still playing after the bad league

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

hawowanlawow posted:

I subscribe to balormage's filters because the leveling filter is good and he uses the purple colors

that is, if he is still playing after the bad league

I have started to use Filterblades filter app since it can dynamically change based on the current price of several types of items from poe ninja. So like you can configure it to price different range of prices for like uniques/bases/maps/scarabs/etc

There is monthly fee to auto update your filter as soon as you start it, but you can just pull the prices down and export the changed filter for free.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for no particular reason, what was that mmo that had like 20 steps to get raid attuned

E: it was wildstar and it spawned this meme, which I was going to find and replace with what you have to do in poe's endgame to get your 4 void stones which is when the endgame really starts.

there's way more steps in poe to get 4 void stones

I know this is like 15 days late, but I've been not reading the thread. But I wanted you to know: This was not a meme. This was something the devs put out to brag about how long and tedious the process was. Chew on that.

Like if you think GGG is bad, Carbine was somehow worse in every way.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

One of my friends is hyped about Ruthless mode, and I fail to see how this lasts for more than a year at best.

This seems like it appeals to the PoE as a career streamer, but will find little play for the average player after the initial rush. It seems like the progress you can make without 40 hours a week will be minimal. I also don't see how they monetize it to support the on-going development costs associated. Like I work from home and have a lot of time to play and I still don't think the scarcity looks enjoyable in the slightest.

That being said I hope those that it is designed for enjoy it immensely.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It seems like a mode that would be really fun to go through as a group of friends, and only trading/sharing amongst yourselves.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's at a weird crossroads where it clearly has not had significant development resources put into it and it definitely feels like an alpha because of it. There's a fair amount of work that needs to be done to balance it (it's so entirely its own thing that it needs to be almost top to bottom rebalanced) and they probably need to just pick trade or ssf to balance the scarcity around. Idk if they'll commit to giving it the resources it needs to be its own thing, although in its current state it's fine for what it is and overall it has been pretty well received. If they do put the resources in it absolutely could have staying power, but idk at all if it justifies pulling people off of poe 2/poe mobile/3.20/3.21 and whatever else they have on their plates.

DangerDongs posted:

It seems like a mode that would be really fun to go through as a group of friends, and only trading/sharing amongst yourselves.

yeah the scarcity of stuff seems probably best around there as it currently stands.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That's what I'm trying to convey to my friend. Even 2 devs would be like what, a quarter of a million a year to maintain. I'd imagine it needs more than that. I don't see how the game mode taps into more than 2-3% of the base at most.

Do your QoL stash purchases carry over? I'd suspect they don't?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah all stash and mtx would carry over, they only don't currently because it's on a different server.

also you're not going to fill a bunch of quad tabs or the currency tab lol

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah all stash and mtx would carry over, they only don't currently because it's on a different server.

also you're not going to fill a bunch of quad tabs or the currency tab lol

Nah but having stuff separated is just nice for the OCD folks even if everything is dropping at 1/1000 of normal rates.

That further makes.me scratch my head at how they support this for a long term for a small subset of the player base.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zotix posted:

Nah but having stuff separated is just nice for the OCD folks even if everything is dropping at 1/1000 of normal rates.

That further makes.me scratch my head at how they support this for a long term for a small subset of the player base.

Yeah i'm saying that you have it even if you won't physically need it.

and Yeah that's the crossroads they're at with it. most likely they just keep developing it as a side project. maybe if the response is good after they get poe2 out the door they give it some real development effort. I think that with a decent bit of work it could absolutely work as a mode, but currently it's kind of a glorified curiosity even if the vision behind it is fairly coherent.

Some people were suggesting it would work better as an event than a permanent mode and imo they probably aren't wrong

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 27, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Kchama posted:

I know this is like 15 days late, but I've been not reading the thread. But I wanted you to know: This was not a meme. This was something the devs put out to brag about how long and tedious the process was. Chew on that.

Like if you think GGG is bad, Carbine was somehow worse in every way.

"Worse in every way" is almost underselling it. Carbine's leadership were legendarily loving awful. They were what Reddit thinks Chris Wilson is.

Wildstar might have limped along and been a B-tier competitor to WoW/FF if Carbine leadership didn't:

- Commit months of dev time to Warfronts, a feature that no devs/engineers were consulted on before it was promised, and less people ended up playing than have currently played Ruthless.

- Leaning insanely hard into the hardcore turbo-raider scene when Wildstar's best content was it's adventures and short casual self contained missions.

- Throw away all Beta feedback, and implement the abovementioned godawful attunement, warfronts, and random wandering elites all over the world instead of fixing bugs and server performance.

Even when I don't like a change GGG makes, I can at least understand why they do it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Deki posted:

"Worse in every way" is almost underselling it. Carbine's leadership were legendarily loving awful. They were what Reddit thinks Chris Wilson is.

Wildstar might have limped along and been a B-tier competitor to WoW/FF if Carbine leadership didn't:

- Commit months of dev time to Warfronts, a feature that no devs/engineers were consulted on before it was promised, and less people ended up playing than have currently played Ruthless.

This was super funny because the first time anyone in Carbine heard about it was when the CEO announced it like, right before launch and was an insanely bad idea to begin with. To explain, it was 30 v 30 premade PvP battles where both sides needed to have spent time and currency on building a fortress to be used in a double siege battle.

It sounds cool, but the 'premade' aspect meant it was nearly impossible to do, since it meant getting 60 people together, no matchmaking.

The advertising was "Have you SEEN Warplots?" and no, nobody ever did.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Kchama posted:

To explain, it was 30 v 30 premade PvP battles where both sides needed to have spent time and currency on building a fortress to be used in a double siege battle.

lol this is like peak Ideas Guy poo poo. Really cool to dream about, but totally infeasible and obviously bad if you think about implementation.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive been trying to think of ways it could work and be cool but even in the context of dogshit 'classic' mmos it makes no sense. sure maybe 30 men was also a standard raid group size or something so most guilds would have that, but why would a team like also all want to play scheduled pvp battles. so youd need a huge guild and someone to manage this dumbass premade roster for all the alternates lol. would probably be even stupider if it was matchmade because basically all team games more complicated than CTF are God awful in matchmaking.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Some lead dev dude also watched the top guilds raid, mocked them over it, and even made one of the fights harder in the middle of one of their progression nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Meeko posted:

Some lead dev dude also watched the top guilds raid, mocked them over it, and even made one of the fights harder in the middle of one of their progression nights.

also when they did clear the raid, the lead dev posted this GIF on their forums congratulating them for only being able to clear the fight after nerfs

edit: the timeline went like this

quote:

Wildstar advertises itself as a game for hardcore raiders featuring challenging 40 man raids.
Game actually launches; buggy and labyrinthine raid attunement process scares off many prospective raiders. (Some unlucky players get their character permanently stuck on this attunement quest and are told to reroll their character from scratch to "fix" it.)
Enough players complete the attunement and begin raid content. Developers monitor world first kills and then change several bosses to be mathematically impossible. This effectively disables part of the raid content.
Many months later, these bosses are patched to be mathematically possible to kill. The handful of loyal holdouts left finally complete this content.
The raid designer is asked how he feels about the raid being cleared for the first time. He posts that image in response.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 27, 2022