Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mcmagic posted:

It's like 10%/90% The police are good and if they do something that you think looks racist you are wrong. The cops don't really do anything wrong in the movie lol
Maybe I'm giving the movie more credit than it deserves, but I'm assuming that the reason nobody trusts the police and that they're willing to go from 0 to 100 so fast is that there's been such a long history of racist violence from the police that there's no way anyone has any reason to trust them this time. It's effectively irrelevant whether they did or didn't do what they're accused of: they've done so much horrible stuff that they're perpetually guilty and they're responsible for what's going on. After all, that's how it works in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe I'm giving the movie more credit than it deserves, but I'm assuming that the reason nobody trusts the police and that they're willing to go from 0 to 100 so fast is that there's been such a long history of racist violence from the police that there's no way anyone has any reason to trust them this time. It's effectively irrelevant whether they did or didn't do what they're accused of: they've done so much horrible stuff that they're perpetually guilty and they're responsible for what's going on. After all, that's how it works in real life.

Yeah no poo poo but that is why the movie being about the one in a million time where the police are set up in some kind of false flag plot is so dumb.....

What exactly is it's point?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 26, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I mean I agree with you that it's a really weird movie, tonewise.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Everything Everywhere All at Once is on Showtime. Great movie

mystes
May 31, 2006

Something Somewhere I'll Watch Later

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
All the Time I Lost All at Once Watching It

(some people like it, that’s cool, wish I’d stopped once it revealed itself)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It was cool. Cat fight is better tho same thing really more funny for sure

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 26, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Black Adam was pretty garbage, not much to recommend there. Turns out if you strip all charisma away from the Rock you aren't left with much. Though I will say his penchant for tossing random henchmen miles into the distance was pretty fun.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I binged all of Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix yesterday recovering from a Thanksgiving hangover. I saw someone in this thread recommend it, and someone else point out that the host is a bit of a kook, so I went in with a skeptical mind.

I thought it was a pretty interesting show overall. The guy definitely has a persecution complex, and the fact that he kept on showing clips of him on Joe Rogan actually hurt his credibility.

When he relied on the help of other experts, like demonstrating that some of these ancient monuments were likely built on top of even older possibly ice age monuments, or showing that all of these ancient sites all perfectly matched up with constellations from 9500 years ago (the end of the ice age), he managed to have a pretty convincing argument.

When left to spin his own theories, like proposing that map makers in the 1500s were copying from maps made 9500 years ago, or that all these ancient sites across the globe were part of one singular ice age civilization, he flounders and I see why people discredit his work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I binged all of Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix yesterday recovering from a Thanksgiving hangover. I saw someone in this thread recommend it, and someone else point out that the host is a bit of a kook, so I went in with a skeptical mind.

I thought it was a pretty interesting show overall. The guy definitely has a persecution complex, and the fact that he kept on showing clips of him on Joe Rogan actually hurt his credibility.

When he relied on the help of other experts, like demonstrating that some of these ancient monuments were likely built on top of even older possibly ice age monuments, or showing that all of these ancient sites all perfectly matched up with constellations from 9500 years ago (the end of the ice age), he managed to have a pretty convincing argument.

When left to spin his own theories, like proposing that map makers in the 1500s were copying from maps made 9500 years ago, or that all these ancient sites across the globe were part of one singular ice age civilization, he flounders and I see why people discredit his work.
I think you mean "all across the plane of the earth" op

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sounds like he spent too much time on r/culturallayer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is this the poo poo where white experts say that indigenous civilizations couldn't possibly make monuments without the help of aliens

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think it’s more like there were even more ancient civilizations that we don’t even know existed

Edit there does seem to be a correlation between alt right weirdos and alternative history conspiracy theories

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 26, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Don't worry darling was pretty good and then the last like twenty minutes happened and lmao wtf at that ending

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
One of the core tenets of fascism is appealing to a lost (almost always fictional) golden era. Fascists see modern society as decadent, so the idea of an ancient culture with advanced technology without all the post Enlightenment values of inclusion and tolerance really gets these white dudes worked up. Bonus points if the discovery of the civilization can upend a bunch of scholarly assumptions about human history (take that, woke professors, we'll see who cancels who).

There's a reason that the History channel morphed very quickly into a collection of alt history alien bullshit platforming. Chuds love that poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

One of the core tenets of fascism is appealing to a lost (almost always fictional) golden era. Fascists see modern society as decadent, so the idea of an ancient culture with advanced technology without all the post Enlightenment values of inclusion and tolerance really gets these white dudes worked up. Bonus points if the discovery of the civilization can upend a bunch of scholarly assumptions about human history (take that, woke professors, we'll see who cancels who).

There's a reason that the History channel morphed very quickly into a collection of alt history alien bullshit platforming. Chuds love that poo poo.

Now that you mention it, he did keep on saying things like that throughout the series, how modern society is going to repeat the same mistakes of the past that humans did way back during the ice age. I had no idea that's what he was implying.

Shageletic posted:

Is this the poo poo where white experts say that indigenous civilizations couldn't possibly make monuments without the help of aliens

He didn't say anything about aliens, but he did keep on going on about how all these different cultures all have stories of similar sounding people who taught them about civilization.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
That poo poo is literally the setting of Conan the Barbarian, the Hyborian Age.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

He didn't say anything about aliens, but he did keep on going on about how all these different cultures all have stories of similar sounding people who taught them about civilization.

And what color of skin do you suppose he thought those people had?

Historically this poo poo all goes back to the "these brown-skinned primitives couldn't possibly have built anything impressive or 'civilized'!" narrative. It's easily tracable back to at least the late 1800s with the Hollow Earth and Land of Mu stories, and certainly have many more precedents. The racism is baked in at a core level.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Athena was such a weird experience, I guess just being a culture war pawn. Like I first saw the trailer youtube and it looked dope and was full of angry CHUD comments, so naturally I'm interested...and like, the first 65% of the film more or less holds that up...until the final reveals where it's like no actually we just made secret copaganda out of this ostensibly dope angry revolutionary film and it's all so jarring that my brain just tried not processing it cuz all the stuff that led up to it was dope.
I still included it in my top films of the year list and so I probably need my brains checked.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

And what color of skin do you suppose he thought those people had?

Historically this poo poo all goes back to the "these brown-skinned primitives couldn't possibly have built anything impressive or 'civilized'!" narrative. It's easily tracable back to at least the late 1800s with the Hollow Earth and Land of Mu stories, and certainly have many more precedents. The racism is baked in at a core level.

He didn't say I don't think, but you guys are all spelling it out in such a way that I'm embarrassed I caught none of it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The unfortunate reality is that 99% of conspiracy theories eventually get back to racism or antisemitism, even ones you wouldn’t think would be questionable. I’m not entirely sure if it was always this way and we were just more ignorant/innocent in the 90s when stuff like The X-Files made it fun, but nowadays it zaps nearly all of the enjoyment out of it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Nihonniboku posted:

It's 99% bullshit, OP, and the host is a massive conspiratorial crank. There's no actual evidence of any advanced, complex societies existing during the Ice Age. His claims about "mainstream archaeologists" hiding the REAL TRUTH are about as balanced as those of climate change deniers calling out climate scientists, and, as noted above, his theory has more than a tinge of white supremacy bullshit to it. Hope this helps.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/11/ancient-apocalypse-graham-hancock-netflix-theory-explained.html

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 26, 2022

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

david_a posted:

The unfortunate reality is that 99% of conspiracy theories eventually get back to racism or antisemitism, even ones you wouldn’t think would be questionable. I’m not entirely sure if it was always this way and we were just more ignorant/innocent in the 90s when stuff like The X-Files made it fun, but nowadays it zaps nearly all of the enjoyment out of it.

I think it's a somewhat new thing. At least in the 90s and early 00s a lot of conspiracy theories centered around shadowy, explicitly Christian organizations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

He didn't say I don't think, but you guys are all spelling it out in such a way that I'm embarrassed I caught none of it

You shouldn't be embarrassed - a lot of this stuff is deeply coded and someone going in without any inkling could easily get preached to and never realize it. The "I'm interested in history" to fash pipeline is very real and the people who make this stuff have had decades (centuries in come cases) of examples to crib from.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Athena was such a weird experience, I guess just being a culture war pawn. Like I first saw the trailer youtube and it looked dope and was full of angry CHUD comments, so naturally I'm interested...and like, the first 65% of the film more or less holds that up...until the final reveals where it's like no actually we just made secret copaganda out of this ostensibly dope angry revolutionary film and it's all so jarring that my brain just tried not processing it cuz all the stuff that led up to it was dope.
I still included it in my top films of the year list and so I probably need my brains checked.

Even in the first part of the film they are doing the whole "we're gonna show 3 POVs, one being a cop and show how violence is bad" thing. Even if you take that on it's face it's patently ridiculous because the film starts with the premise that they just killed an innocent kid for no reason!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simplex posted:

I think it's a somewhat new thing. At least in the 90s and early 00s a lot of conspiracy theories centered around shadowy, explicitly Christian organizations.

There was plenty of it back then, too.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Warrior Nun was a lot better than something named Warrior Nun has the right to be.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't go looking for its source material.

Or do, if you want a laugh.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Wednesday is really fun so far

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Crimes of the Future is cool but kind of just tapers off at the end. I liked Kristen Stewart as a weird lonely nerd and Viggo's sith robes.

The Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special was very obviously shooting around Chris Pratt's limited availability or something because they go all in on Drax and Mantis and let's just say a little bit goes a long way.

Smiling Friends was good enough to throw on while I was working but college me would have loving loved it. The first episode is probably the best but I did enjoy the Bakshi-style animation for the halfling in the fantasy episode and the Brazil one was delightful.

I also gave The Mick a chance on a lark and its not bad but lol that two Always Sunny actors had "what if a very slightly tweaked version of my popular jerk character had to interact with children" sitcoms that didn't get off the ground.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 27, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

lol r u serious

Nihonniboku posted:

lol sorry but dude cmon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I think it’s more like there were even more ancient civilizations that we don’t even know existed

Edit there does seem to be a correlation between alt right weirdos and alternative history conspiracy theories

Chariot of Fire was literally written by a Nazi member lol

E: lol meant Chariots of the God's the book that started the modern fascination with this poo poo

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 27, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Simplex posted:

There are letters complaining in paranormal mags about the shift to right-wing politics, its a perennial thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

There are letters complaining in paranormal mags about the shift to right-wing politics, its a perennial thing

I bought a series of Flying Saucer newsletters from the early 1950s, spanning just a few years. A small Midwestern club made up of locals. In the first issue it's so optimistic about finding a community of people who question the official story and building a group of citizen scientists. The final issue is an acerbic screed about how toxic and backwards and conservative and political the community has become. It's not perfenial, it's eternal.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
welp i'm watching manifest on netflix and it gives me some of those old :lost: vibes. i can appreciate a hokey scifi puzzle reveal show. some good performances and low budget cgi, what's not to like?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lazy_Liberal posted:

welp i'm watching manifest on netflix and it gives me some of those old :lost: vibes. i can appreciate a hokey scifi puzzle reveal show. some good performances and low budget cgi, what's not to like?

What's in the mystery box

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof counting money

Bayham Badger
Jan 19, 2007

Secretly force socialism, communism and imperialism types of government onto the people of the United States of America.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special was very obviously shooting around Chris Pratt's limited availability or something because they go all in on Drax and Mantis and let's just say a little bit goes a long way.

I have a modicum of interest in this as the Old 97's, a band that I've enjoyed for many years, makes an appearance, in costume as aliens or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bayham Badger posted:

I have a modicum of interest in this as the Old 97's, a band that I've enjoyed for many years, makes an appearance, in costume as aliens or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W2yM0G-SI4

More than an appearance, they sing the best song in the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W2yM0G-SI4

More than an appearance, they sing the best song in the show!

Oh yeah this is easily the best part, and it's not bad at all it just clearly has the two least expensive characters (by way of paycheck or CGI) having an adventure by themselves for a large portion of the runtime