Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making my son remove his posters?

He should just replace the posters with something 'appropriate' for a teenage boy, like posters of topless women. Preferably placed in clear view of all doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ma'am I am sorry to inform you that your son's tastes are basic,. Hopefully if you act now you can stop him before he starts Naruto or, God forbid, the MCU

Piell fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 27, 2022

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

This feels exactly like bait.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA for telling my BIL and SIL that I don’t like their baby name?

quote:

Back story - my husband and I had a full-term stillbirth back in 2014. We were obviously devastated. We had just gotten the room ready for her to come home and had our bags packed. We named her Jenurty (Nurtie). We post on social media at least twice a year. We had therapy in order to cope with the loss. We were numb for many months following. The families knew how bad it was for us.

This year, my BIL and SIL were pregnant with their 3rd baby. Normally they share the names they are considering, but didn’t this time. I didn’t really think much of it. I mean, we all have busy lives. Well, we found out her name from a social media post.

It’s Pnurtis. My husband and I were a little shocked, but we thought we would first say congrats and then ask what the nickname would be. They responded Nurtie. We stated that it was really close to what we named the baby we lost (super chill - not rude or confrontational) and the wife got ticked and ended up blocking us on social media over it. The BIL just said they aren’t the same names so he doesn’t understand why we are upset. They knew her name. They knew her nickname and what we called her. I just don’t understand how they don’t hear how similar Jenurty (Nurtie) and Pnurtis (Nurtie) are. And, for anyone who may suggest or make a comment that our baby doesn’t count since she wasn’t born alive, please scroll on.

The actual names are Delanie (Lanie) and Layne (Lanie)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This feels exactly like bait.

Yeah wouldn't include the "daughter's friend said she didn't think they were embarrassing" otherwise

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for telling my BIL and SIL that I don’t like their baby name?

The actual names are Delanie (Lanie) and Layne (Lanie)

if there's one thing the thread has taught me, it's that you should never reveal your planned baby name to anyone, ever. maybe don't even tell the baby; i mean it's not gonna be able to talk for a while anyway

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to give up my seat(s) and being crass about it?

This person did the the most considerate thing you can do being a large person on a flight by buying out the second seat. Southwest, in fact, has a program called customer of size program (flying while fat) that you can use to get two seats with preboarding.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I take two posts

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
So I don't crowd other posters

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

sir, i have a comment I am reposting from ask\tell that needs to be placed here. can I have your post?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

incoherent posted:

This person did the the most considerate thing you can do being a large person on a flight by buying out the second seat. Southwest, in fact, has a program called customer of size program (flying while fat) that you can use to get two seats with preboarding.

Yeah seriously, being considerate at extra cost to yourself (even if it gets refunded after) is going the extra mile and should be appreciated. I’m not a plus size person myself, but i’ve definitely noticed larger folks looking uncomfortable and embarrassed when sitting next to me and taking up a little extra width from “my” seat. Everyone should get to be as comfortable as possible while crammed in a sardine can in the sky. It’s already uncomfortable, why make it worse.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

QuarkJets posted:

I love how this reveals that these morons could find some cooked bacon in a desert and think "surely this is safe to eat"

The list of haram food also includes stuff like bees and a bunch of poisonous things. It's probably just to make extra sure that even the stupidest rear end on the planet won't kill themselves with food, but my imagination has replaced this with a guy stuffing bees in his mouth while yelling "There's no law that says I can't eat bees! You can't make me!".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

incoherent posted:

As a fat person, thank you for this. Previously I never would have considered straying from Alaska Airlines because of their great companion fare deal but the possibility of not being physically uncomfortable for the entire flight is alluring.

I still think the ultimate solution is for congress to pass a passerger’s bill of rights and require seats go back to as wide as they were 30 years ago and add back a good 4-6 inches of leg room for the long-legged folks (hell even at 5’8” I feel like I don’t have enough leg room).

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

The list of haram food also includes stuff like bees and a bunch of poisonous things. It's probably just to make extra sure that even the stupidest rear end on the planet won't kill themselves with food, but my imagination has replaced this with a guy stuffing bees in his mouth while yelling "There's no law that says I can't eat bees! You can't make me!".

Laws only get invented to stop people doing stuff they are alreaddy doing though.

So im sure the bee eater was real

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

therobit posted:

I still think the ultimate solution is for congress to pass a passerger’s bill of rights and require seats go back to as wide as they were 30 years ago and add back a good 4-6 inches of leg room for the long-legged folks (hell even at 5’8” I feel like I don’t have enough leg room).

As much as everyone complains about airline seats, most people also unfailingly buy the cheapest seats available. Plane travelers (as a group, not everyone of course) prefer lower prices over comfort.

We're lucky this isn't the norm, because people would definitely book these seats to save $20.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 27, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AITA for not giving up my plane seat

quote:

I'm on this flight from Madrid to Abu Dhabi (6 hours flight). There's this son (maybe 32 years old) and father (maybe 55 years old) traveling with us and they got separated from each other, so they're asking people around them if they can switch w anyone so they can be beside each other. Everyone said no. It also caused a slight delay as the flight attendants were asking what's happening with them. They were seated one row and 2 seats apart, so they can still see and talk to each other.

The whole trip they were talking loudly to one another and exchanging stuff. Waking some people up.

When we landed and was about to deplane, the dad talked to me and said 'word of advice, try to be more compassionate next time'

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Are these people too lazy to just check in early for the flight and pick two seats next to each other? Is that not feasible in America? What is happening?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The last time I flew, I picked out a seat weeks in advance. It's super loving simple, this is a grift.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As much as everyone complains about airline seats, most people also unfailingly buy the cheapest seats available. Plane travelers (as a group, not everyone of course) prefer lower prices over comfort.

We're lucky this isn't the norm, because people would definitely book these seats to save $20.

Which is why we probably need some minimum standards. Economy plus is still worse than flying coach 30 years ago. American asses have grown by 4 inches while seats have narrowed by about the same amount. And Econmoy plus or premium economy doesn’t always get a wider seat. Sometimes it’s just an extra couple inches of leg room. And the alternative is usually first class for thousands of dollars more.

Air travel is a regulated industry. I just think it should be a little more regulated, particularly when it comes to passenger safety and comfort. And yes, there is a safety aspect when you consider how tightly packed people are on airplanes, both from a “breathing right in each other’s faces” standpoint and a “my legs have been immobile for so long I have a blood clot” standpoint.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

As penance, here’s a car post:

AITA for crashing my roommates car, and then wanting to use her insurance instead of paying out of pocket?

quote:

The I rear-ended my roommates car last week at a stop sign last week. It was a pretty minor accident (I was going about 10 miles an hour), and it was just a slight \*bump\*. Anyways, we got it checked out and there's $2000 worth of damages to fix her car, and $1000 for the guy I hit. I wanted to use my full-coverage insurance, but they wouldn't let me as I got into the crash with a car that was not mine.

I proposed to my roommate that we use her full-coverage insurance (as that's what insurance is for and she pays about $400 a month for it), and I'll cover any/all premium costs of the insurance as well as the $500 co-pay requirement. My roommate doesn't agree to this deal. She proposed two things:

1. We use her insurance, I pay the premium cost, the co-pay requirement, AND the value of how much her car went down in the market because using her insurance will show up in the "car facts" when she sells it.

I asked her how will we know how much the car value depreciated, and she said when she sells the car next year, she'll ask the dealer how much her car value decreased due to the accident. I can't agree to this arrangement for a couple reasons. Firstly, I don't trust the dealer - wouldn't they just exaggerate the amount the car value went down to get the car for cheaper? And secondly, as I can't play any role in talking to the dealer or selling the car, I'm essentially signing a "blank check" to pay however much she/the dealer deems the car went down next year. This is too risky. What if she insists its like $5,000 next year? I'll have already agreed to pay the "decreased car value" for using her insurance. I also talked to my parents and they said that car values don't depreciate for getting into minor accidents like this one, just major ones, especially if the car is 100% fixed up. But there's nothing I can say to convince her that using her insurance won't lead to a substantial decrease in value of her car due to the accident being recorded in the car facts.

2. The second option, if I don't agree to this deal, is to pay for everything out of pocket and not get her insurance involved. This would be like almost an entire month's salary for me. It's insanely expensive, and I don't want to pay-out-of-pocket when my roommate pays $400 a month for insurance. In my opinion, insurance is exactly for moments like this, and I'm really sorry that I can't use mine, but I'm willing to pay the premium on hers.

Her argument is that I have the audacity to negotiate/argue with her when I crashed her car, and I should be apologetic and agree to handle things the way she wants to handle it.

Anyways, AITA for refusing to either of her two options, and continually trying to negotiate for using her insurance without the "car value decrease" stipulations?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for not giving up my plane seat

I love the parting shot that's basically "Hey, you know how we were acting like jackasses? Well it was because YOU were a jackass!"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

incoherent posted:

Hah, as a “customer of size” tall and fat person, I’ve used this policy before and it makes an incredible and positive difference flying. I think there are some spots for improvement (like making it more clear that the extra ticket is a seat reservation for anyone deciding they’d like to enjoy cuddling with me, streamlining belt extensions, and making it more clear on the ticket that you’re eligible for preboarding so nosy fellow fliers don’t question it), but it’s probably the most progressive policy an airline offers for large folks.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

In what world is 3 grand worth of damages a minor car accident?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Some quick research suggests that the cost of replacing a bumper typically ranges from $1,000 to $1,500 - it wouldn't have to be a particularly violent rear-ending for both cars to need replacements.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Modern cars are designed to sacrifice themselves in order to cushion the occupants in the event of a collision. While this is a major improvement in crash safety, it also means that repairs get really expensive really quick.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dazerbeams posted:

I was asleep, a neighbour, driving drunk, hit the back of my parked car whilst turning. It must have been less than 10mph because there'd be no room for more. Repairs for just mine were £4.5k and it doubled my insurance despite being deemed not at fault (duh).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

Gnoman posted:

Modern cars are designed to sacrifice themselves in order to cushion the occupants in the event of a collision. While this is a major improvement in crash safety, it also means that repairs get really expensive really quick.

Back in 2001 I got rear ended while driving my grandparents in my 1990 Chevy Caprice. This was the model year before everything changed so it was a big old boxy-bodied sedan. The chrome bumper didn’t even get bent but the bracket it was bolted to did and it hosed up spring loaded thing that was supposed to go between the bumper and the frame. So the passenger side of the car was pushed in like an inch. The repair bill was $1500. In 2001.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
It takes a lot of labor and often parts to fix a crash that might not have even injured anyone involved at all. The body of a car crumples pretty readily to absorb impact energy that would have otherwise gone straight into the occupants, and the mechanics time is valuable. Inflation means that $3k doesn't go as far as it used to, and newer cars have a lot of bullshit electronics in them that jack up prices as well (as well as a lot of not-so-bullshit safety stuff that's nonetheless expensive).

Also that dude has some kinda balls to argue with her about the damages it sounds like he was at fault for lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
$3k of damage to two cars isn't the insane figure in that post

$400/mo for insurance, what in the world

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lolling at the dude seriously going "actually mommy and daddy said collisions don't make your car depreciate in value, so..."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for scolding my husband who was using my breast milk in his tea?

quote:

I (29f) gave birth to my little girl three months ago and recently I would pump her breast milk that I would cool down in a cooling bowl & would always lessen in measurements when I left the room.

So, I hid my camera behind the microwave facing the breast milk bowl and I would find out that my husband (32m) was using it to add to his tea before work. I felt sicken. I couldn’t believe my eyes. So after seeing the footage, i waited until the next morning to catch him in the act.

He was pouring it when I walked it and tried to quickly hide what he was doing, until i showed him the video. He told me that it tastes way better than whole milk and has the motherly taste to it. I was grossed out to say the least. I told him that i don’t pump my breast milk for him and he should have whole milk like a normal human being.

He just acted annoyed like I did something bad. I asked him how did he even taste it in the first place, he informed me that he was curious and how it’s not the first time he had breast milk.

I just scolded him completely and told him that it was already frustrating to pump for the baby and now I find out I was pumping for his tea to have the “extra motherly taste”. He was telling me to relax and informed me that I was overreacting and being melodramatic.

AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Raluek posted:

$3k of damage to two cars isn't the insane figure in that post

$400/mo for insurance, what in the world

Maybe they are in Michigan or New York or somewhere with really high premiums.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

teen witch posted:

I have accidentally tasted breast milk and it is not good. What a jerk, taking food out of the mouth of a child.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

teen witch posted:

has the motherly taste to it

:barf:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

I'm a tall and fat dude, and on one flight was sitting next to another big lady. I thought the next several hours would be an awkward and uncomfortable ride, but the lady took charge and said "ok, let's just relax and make ourselves comfortable." So we spent the flight pretty much attached at the shoulder, hips, and legs. Zero awkwardness and nothing sexual about it, we were just two fat people helping each other out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

teen witch posted:

generally if you're doing something either mark or jeremy off peep show have done, you're in the wrong.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 27, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

therobit posted:

What a jerk

Pretty sure a jerk or two is also part of why he’s doing it