Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's all a bit much of a muchness but Arctic MX or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut would be my go-to choices if I needed more.

edit: I have never needed more or cared to replace the thermal paste in a computer I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

For people building new systems in the high framerate 1080p / maxed settings 1440p range and spending their money while the black friday / cyber monday sales are live, this is the cheapest I've ever seen an RX 6700 XT: $340 after rebate, plus Dead Island 2 and The Callisto Protocol

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My parts have started to arrive!

I've never installed an NVME drive before and I want to make sure I'm not loving it up, so I have a dumb question.

This is what the slot nearest the CPU looks like out of the box, with the "heat shield" removed. I think I'm supposed to remove the circled middle standoff? My SSD lines up with the slot and the standoff on the left, so I don't know if this middle one is meant to support smaller drives or what, seems like it would short something if it stayed in.

The heat shield has a thermal pad on the bottom and I assume it's meant to just plop directly on top of the SSD's topside, directly touching the SSD label sticker and everything.

This is how I put it together, seems right? The screw on the end is the only one in the motherboard box that will secure the heatsink and also reach down through the notch at the end of the SSD into the standoff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Correct on all points (well I’ve never seen a short nvme drive but I assume that’s what that is for)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think that the shorter standoffs are also for devices that slot into m2 that aren't SSDs, like wifi cards and such. I didn't do any research so this statement has all the authority of my rear end, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SSDs in the shorter form factors exist but you rarely encounter them outside of things like laptops, or the steam deck

drives intended for retail pretty much always get rounded up to 80mm long even if that results in the PCB being nearly empty

there's also an extra-long 110mm form factor which AFAIK only gets used in enterprise SSDs, though consumer motherboards tend to support it on at least one slot

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hello, hoping to replace my aging MSI laptop with a desktop.
* What country are you in? USA
* Do you live near Microcenter? Probably about an hour drive, so definitely reasonable.
* What are you using the system for? I do some recording and editing for local guitar players using Studio One. Also do some 3D printing so I use slicing software and blender. Host online D&D sessions using Foundry. I play games when I get some free time as well. Just looking for something beefy.
* What's your budget? 2000-2500
* If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I’m looking to get a couple new monitors so, not sure about this just yet, any suggestions would help

Noise isn’t a problem and I don’t have any l preference between AMD and Intel.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Think I got lost in the mix when I asked before so I thought I would give it a try again.

What country are you in?
US; near a micro center

What are you using the system for?
Audio editing/recording, amateur video editing/streaming; work in Dreamweaver & photoshop, occasional FPS gaming

I use the Adobe suite pretty frequently (mostly Audition, Dreamweaver, PS) I do like to multitask and run those alongside whatever web surfing I'm doing.

What's your budget?
It's a work & personal computer so my budget is on the higher side... $4,000ish

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I have two GIGABYTE M28U-SA-R 28

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I'd skew towards ultra preset as fast as possible.

Since I record audio, a lot of emphasis on quieter builds would be much appreciated. I'm willing to invest more for cooling and cases that are easy to cool quietly.

Thanks for any help! I'm needing to put it together soon as I've pushed it back as far as I could.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hello, hoping to replace my aging MSI laptop with a desktop.
* What country are you in? USA
* Do you live near Microcenter? Probably about an hour drive, so definitely reasonable.
* What are you using the system for? I do some recording and editing for local guitar players using Studio One. Also do some 3D printing so I use slicing software and blender. Host online D&D sessions using Foundry. I play games when I get some free time as well. Just looking for something beefy.
* What's your budget? 2000-2500
* If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I’m looking to get a couple new monitors so, not sure about this just yet, any suggestions would help

Noise isn’t a problem and I don’t have any l preference between AMD and Intel.

Is a new monitor included in this budget? If so what size / resolution are you thinking?

Reason being a 4k gaming machine can look a bit different from a 1440p one.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Sorry about that, 1440p seems great and yes 2500 with the new monitor included in that budget. 32 inches would be nice.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My friend with an i5-7400 and 1050 ti wants to upgrade on a $300 budget. She games at 1080p/60 and I was thinking of just replacing her GPU with a 6600 for $180-200, should I bother upgrading the CPU too? Not sure if there'll be a bottleneck but it is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm thinking of upgrading my video card - I presently have a Geforce GTX 1660 Ti that I use to play games at as high a framerate as possible at 1080p. I've been doing some scanning of what's out there and in terms of how much I want to spend (~$300, give or take) there doesn't seem to be anything that really offers more than a 20-25% improvement in performance. There's no urgency, should I just wait for new parts to come out/prices to drop? What ever happened to that crazy year over year performance increase that we used to get?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

My friend with an i5-7400 and 1050 ti wants to upgrade on a $300 budget. She games at 1080p/60 and I was thinking of just replacing her GPU with a 6600 for $180-200, should I bother upgrading the CPU too? Not sure if there'll be a bottleneck but it is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point.

It probably would be worth it (based on my experience with a 6400), but there's the question of budget. That MC 3600 combo promo is still up if that's a viable option, but it might be sold out (it is in NJ).

Rinkles posted:

The 3600 is a bit long in the tooth now, but your needs seem pretty modest, so I thought I'd mention that MC also has a 3600 combo for a fair bit less. The included motherboard is pretty basic, though.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006114/amd-ryzen-5-3600-with-wraith-stealth-cooler,-gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-wifi,-cpu-motherboard-combo

~$100 5600 + cheap B450/B550 could be another alternative, but that's closer to $200, more if she needs RAM.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Belbos Computer posted:

Thanks for any help! I'm needing to put it together soon as I've pushed it back as far as I could.

Your budget of $4k is basically the ceiling of money you can spend on getting everything top-of-the-line across the board before you have to start gilding things. That'd be, like, a 13900K or 7950X alongside an RTX 4090.

Edit: Was also having a think that if you're doing audio work and are concerned about noise then you might wanna pair a 360mm AIO cooling solution with a suitable case, since the bigger the cooler the less (noisy) work it has to do.

change my name posted:

The RX 6600 is a huge step up from the 1050 Ti, but the CPU will definitely be a bottleneck (those 4/4s really didn't age gracefully) - the problem is that even the cheapest used 7700 chips are like $80+ and most are over $100 which is well past the point where it's worth it (a new 12100F costs that much) (edit: or that 3600 deal above, I keep forgetting what a good bargain that is)

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 27, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On that kind of budget it’s worth considering used hardware imo.

That 3600 plus motherboard combo from micro center is a very good deal. Add $40 for RAM. That leaves $120 for a GPU. If you posted a want ad in SA-Mart or in r/hardwareswap I bet you could find something in that price range that will perform much better at 1080/60.

You also have to make sure that the PSU will handle something beefier. The 1050Ti is bus powered. Anything more modern requires a power connector as well. Your friend should be OK on this assuming they have a standard ATX PSU with sufficient wattage, and they either have cables or it’s a non modular PSU.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, thanks all! I'm sure I can easily futz around with that $300 budget cap and get a used R5 2600/3600 and cheap B450M board if I sell the 1050 ti and old CPU and mobo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On that kind of budget it’s worth considering used hardware imo.

That 3600 plus motherboard combo from micro center is a very good deal. Add $40 for RAM. That leaves $120 for a GPU. If you posted a want ad in SA-Mart or in r/hardwareswap I bet you could find something in that price range that will perform much better at 1080/60.

You also have to make sure that the PSU will handle something beefier. The 1050Ti is bus powered. Anything more modern requires a power connector as well. Your friend should be OK on this assuming they have a standard ATX PSU with sufficient wattage, and they either have cables or it’s a non modular PSU.

She already has 16GB of DDR4 3200 MHz RAM and a modern Seasonic 500-watt 80 plus gold PSU so these should be good to just swap. I built it on the cheap for her using some stuff I already had lying around (the CPU was free) but bought the case and PSU new

change my name fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can possibly get a used 5700 XT for $160. They've been going for real cheap on ebay. That + the mobo+cpu combo should be a nice upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Belbos Computer posted:

Think I got lost in the mix when I asked before so I thought I would give it a try again.

What country are you in?
US; near a micro center

What are you using the system for?
Audio editing/recording, amateur video editing/streaming; work in Dreamweaver & photoshop, occasional FPS gaming

I use the Adobe suite pretty frequently (mostly Audition, Dreamweaver, PS) I do like to multitask and run those alongside whatever web surfing I'm doing.

What's your budget?
It's a work & personal computer so my budget is on the higher side... $4,000ish

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I have two GIGABYTE M28U-SA-R 28

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I'd skew towards ultra preset as fast as possible.

Since I record audio, a lot of emphasis on quieter builds would be much appreciated. I'm willing to invest more for cooling and cases that are easy to cool quietly.

If you have that kind of budget, then you could really go all-out on a 13900K(or 7950X)/RTX 4090 rig, but it would be pretty serious overkill. The 13700K is close in performance to those but much cheaper and may be what I recommend here. The 3080 is the minimum I'd recommend to you for 4K gaming, and probably also the maximum unless you're okay dropping an obscene amount of money on a 4090 (which does deliver performance roughly proportional to the eye-watering price)

As for memory, DDR5 is probably worth it here. If you're getting 64GB, I'd stick to DDR5-5600, otherwise 6000 or even 6400 may be worth it for 32GB. The price curve is a bit harsher with 2x32GB kits compared to 2x16GB kits, and also memory controllers tend to have a hard time dealing with high speeds on that much memory anyway.

As for cooling, you probably want an air cooler in this case since you can turn the fans down when recording and not have to worry about pump noise or anything. Currently the best air-cooling case is probably the Fractal Design Torrent, which has a ridiculous 2x180mm front intake and 3x140mm bottom intake. With a custom fan curve, they can move a huge amount of air while spinning at low RPMs, being very quiet in the process.

Here's an example build list. You can get the CPU+motherboard for around $75 cheaper at Micro Center. The 13700K is $380 there, plus you get $20 off when buying it with a motherboard and another $25 off for first-time customers. 3080 inventory is growing thin it seems, unfortunately. Nvidia was supposed to be oversupplied on these GPUs, so I suspect they're withholding inventory to try to push the 4080/4090. In any case, your option seems to be either random Chinese AIBs, or buying used. You can still find pretty good prices for the 3080 on Ebay or various local marketplaces though if you want to go that route. Alternatively, you could wait for the 7900 XTX and try to snap that up at launch for $1000 (on December 13th). The only other options for good 4K GPUs right now are probably the 6800 XT/6900 XT, which can be had for around $580/$680. They're close to the 3080 in rasterization, but they fall behind quite a bit with ray tracing enabled. They're good cards if that trade-off is okay with you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 27, 2022

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

spunkshui posted:

smart words

Robot Jones posted:

smart words

Thank you all for the great info!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can possibly get a used 5700 XT for $160. They've been going for real cheap on ebay. That + the mobo+cpu combo should be a nice upgrade.

I'm still running a GTX 670 since all I play is Xcom2, HBS Battletech, and Elite Dangerous, but $150 is near a "why not" price for me so it's got me thinking. Would my Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz bottleneck any benefits of a 5700 XT?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
What brand would you folks recommend if wanted to build my own custom loop watercooling? Any to avoid?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

As for cooling, you probably want an air cooler in this case since you can turn the fans down when recording and not have to worry about pump noise or anything. Currently the best air-cooling case is probably the Fractal Design Torrent, which has a ridiculous 2x180mm front intake and 3x140mm bottom intake. With a custom fan curve, they can move a huge amount of air while spinning at low RPMs, being very quiet in the process.

I'll chime in on this and say that I just did my first new build in years (with help from this thread) and I was shocked by how quiet fans are now. My old computer sounds like a drat refrigerator even when it's idling, but my new one is practically inaudible, even with basically the same number of fans. They've really come a long way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the loudest fan in my pc now is the PSU, and it's by no means loud.

Also, I have to occasionally fiddle with speed of the Arctic P12s because they'll hum at specific frequencies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

I'm still running a GTX 670 since all I play is Xcom2, HBS Battletech, and Elite Dangerous, but $150 is near a "why not" price for me so it's got me thinking. Would my Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz bottleneck any benefits of a 5700 XT?

This question doesn't have a straightforward answer. I think you would see a large boost to performance in a lot of games, but many others may still be a rather stuttery with such an old CPU. I don't know how heavily those specific games lean on the CPU when it comes to rendering. Obviously with the turn-based stuff, turn times won't improve, but with elite dangerous, perhaps there will be a lot of simulation stuff running in the background that will keep everything slow? It's really hard to say for sure.

Many other games that aren't CPU heavy would likely see a big boost to performance. Probably not the full >3x boost you'd expect from this upgrade, but a sizeable chunk of it. So I'm not saying don't do it, but you're going to want to do a platform upgrade as well sooner rather than later. If that's not in the cards, then you're better off upgrading to an even lower-end card, such as an RX 580. I'm seeing a few of those sell for less than $100 on ebay. It's still a good 2x boost over what you have, and it's less likely to be bottlenecked by the CPU (though that will still probably happen to some extent).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 27, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sir Lemming posted:

I'll chime in on this and say that I just did my first new build in years (with help from this thread) and I was shocked by how quiet fans are now. My old computer sounds like a drat refrigerator even when it's idling, but my new one is practically inaudible, even with basically the same number of fans. They've really come a long way.

Fan tech has improved considerably, but fans also do get noisier over time. 10 year old fans are typically gonna rattle like hell since the bearings wear out over time.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I'm looking at the AMD Store's 6950XT + 7950X bundle and am I seeing things wrong or is it a great deal for the high-end? $1,273 for both. If I calculate a currently-buyable price of ~$600 for the 7950X, that makes the reference 6950 XT just $673 in this bundle.

The main reason I'm not buying now is I'm waiting for the new AMD cards in two weeks. If the $900 7900 XT performs similarly to the 4080, that would be a 25% performance bump for an about commensurate price increase ($673 for the 6950 XT x 1.25 = $840, or $60 less than the $900 7900 XT). The other question is whether we'd actually be able to purchase a 7900 XT at that price within the next month or two.

I think that the 4080 is out of the question for me just because I cannot bring myself to pay $1200 for a card.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fan tech has improved considerably, but fans also do get noisier over time. 10 year old fans are typically gonna rattle like hell since the bearings wear out over time.

That's true, and I guess I also need to consider the fact that there aren't any mechanical HDs of any kind in there at this point. (I was planning on keeping at least one for bulk storage, but they all seem to be planning on dying before that can happen)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
From a few pages ago, but:
Thanks, this was the kind of advice I needed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

small butter posted:

I'm looking at the AMD Store's 6950XT + 7950X bundle and am I seeing things wrong or is it a great deal for the high-end? $1,273 for both. If I calculate a currently-buyable price of ~$600 for the 7950X, that makes the reference 6950 XT just $673 in this bundle.

The main reason I'm not buying now is I'm waiting for the new AMD cards in two weeks. If the $900 7900 XT performs similarly to the 4080, that would be a 25% performance bump for an about commensurate price increase ($673 for the 6950 XT x 1.25 = $840, or $60 less than the $900 7900 XT). The other question is whether we'd actually be able to purchase a 7900 XT at that price within the next month or two.

I think that the 4080 is out of the question for me just because I cannot bring myself to pay $1200 for a card.

The 7950X has been $575 lately and I've seen the 6900 XT for $680, so this isn't really a special price. And most people would be much better off with a 7700X over a 7950X anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, not stupidly expensive 2.5GB or 10GB NIC or USB NIC?

I have the new FiOS ONT and it doesn't play nice with IPv6 on Intel NICs because Intel sucks. I was hoping I'd just be able to disable IPv6 Checksum Offload on my NIC, but it still struggles. I'm fine on Wifi6 for now, but I'd prefer wired.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I upgraded my 5600x to the 5800x3d and the performance jump playing FFXIV is insane. With an RTX 3080 at 4k, I went from about 40-50fps at the worst, busiest areas of limsa, to now basically not going below 144fps (my monitor cap). I can't get the frames to dip. Should have done some benchmarking before I did the swap. This little chip does run hot, so I'm playing around with some fan control software.

I kept the Noctua NH-D15 in my old PC and used a Scythe Fuma 2 for this updated build. Would it be worthwhile to do a heatsink swap? While I was building this, I didn't think there would be much difference between the two, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing the 5800x3d temps

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 28, 2022

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

The 7950X has been $575 lately and I've seen the 6900 XT for $680, so this isn't really a special price. And most people would be much better off with a 7700X over a 7950X anyway.

Never for the reference card, though. That's still $850 minimum when you can get it from AMD. I think that most people going for the 7950x are also looking at the high end for cards, so that pairing works.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

I upgraded my 5600x to the 5800x3d and the performance jump playing FFXIV is insane. With an RTX 3080 at 4k, I went from about 40-50fps at the worst, busiest areas of limsa, to now basically not going below 144fps (my monitor cap). I can't get the frames to dip. Should have done some benchmarking before I did the swap. This little chip does run hot, so I'm playing around with some fan control software.

I kept the Noctua NH-D15 in my old PC and used a Scythe Fuma 2 for this updated build. Would it be worthwhile to do a heatsink swap? While I was building this, I didn't think there would be much difference between the two, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing the 5800x3d temps

These numbers don’t make sense to me because the 5600x is a phenomenal cpu at 4k.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/amd-zen-3-ryzen-deep-dive-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/21

https://www.club386.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review/

I would put the bigger cooler on the chip with more cores or debate an AIO if you were looking for an excuse to get one they do run hot.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spunkshui posted:

These numbers don’t make sense to me because the 5600x is a phenomenal cpu at 4k.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/amd-zen-3-ryzen-deep-dive-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/21

I would put the bigger cooler on the chip with more cores or debate an AIO if you were looking for an excuse to get one they do run hot.

The FF14 benchmark is not representative of actual gameplay, and the actual game ends up very heavily CPU bottlenecked at any resolution whenever you enter into a city with many other players. The 3x difference expressed here is rather shocking and maybe a little hard to believe, but there's no doubt in my mind that there will be a large boost going from the 5600X to the 5800X3D, even at 4K.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 28, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hi thread I'm in the process of abandoning hope. I am in Australia, not near a microcentre, I have a 1440p 165hz monitor and an old computer.

I bought a Sapphire NITRO+ SE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB for $899 aud today. The rest of the system would be from scratch, I might keep my current sata SSDs as extra storage but not the primary drive. I would like to drive the monitor at 165hz in gaming, I would like to do 3d modelling in blender.

I am glazing over trying to build out the rest of the system, could someone outline a start point on part picker please?

The 13600KF and the 5800x3d are comparable in price ~500aud, from what I understand the 5800x3d might get away with a a cheaper motherboard/ram but the 13600KF does better in blender, so I'm leaning towards that. I would like wifi on the motherboard, I have no real idea what benefits a B660 vs a z690 motherboard brings, same with dd4 vs dd5. I have no idea what are good brands for PSU, cases etc any more.

I've spent the $899 on the graphics card. Rest of the build would be $1000-$1300 aud. I am not into RGB at all.

I currently have an i5 4690K paired with a 1080, lol. Thank you for any help.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 13600kf is the best choice for you, yeah. $449 with the 10% off sitewide today, + shopping express shipping is usually around $12.50: https://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/intel-i5-13600kf-5.1ghz-14-cores-20-threads-lga-1700-cpu/BX8071513600KF

easily the best value cooler for the 13600kf: https://www.bpctech.com.au/product/pa120-se-thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se-with-lga-1700-bracket.html

still hard to go past the wd sn570 in terms of value for an ssd: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09HKDQ1RN

excellent case for a bargain (yes you can turn the rgb lighting off): https://www.pccasegear.com/products/56644/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-type-c-a-rgb-case-black pccase gear shipping is usually relatively expensive but even with that this is the best value case around, easily

quality 750W psu on sale: https://www.computeralliance.com.au/750-watt-thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-gold-modular-ps-tpd-0750fnfaga-1-power-supply?s=0

now, the real issue is motherboard/ram. motherboard availability is kinda bad right now (end of the sale period so most have sold out) so you will pay a premium (~$100) for ddr5 boards.

for a b660 board you'll want to get umart to update it first: https://www.umart.com.au/product/free-motherboard-bios-update-59060 (i don't remember if any other stores offer that) but z690 boards generally have bios flashback
ddr4 b660 with wifi: https://www.umart.com.au/product/msi-pro-b660m-a-wifi-lga-1700-ddr4-matx-motherboard-64490
ddr5 z690 with wifi: https://www.centrecom.com.au/msi-pro-z690-a-wifi-lga1700-atx-motherboard

3200 cl16 ddr4: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07RW6Z692 (this is the bare minimum)
3600 cl16 ddr4: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/57608/corsair-vengeance-lpx-32gb-2x16gb-3600mhz-cl16-ddr4 (solid mid-range ram)
5200 cl40 ddr5: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09MDTM5Z6 (excellent value - much better than the ddr4 - but offset by how bad ddr5 motherboard prices are right now)
5600 cl36 ddr5: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/58297/team-t-force-delta-rgb-32gb-2x16gb-5600mhz-cl36-ddr5-white (another step up)

so i'd just go with whatever combination of motherboard + ram you're willing to pay. there will be benefits to each step up, but not huge ones.

all these deals will probably be gone in a few hours though, since it's cyber monday

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You're an absolute legend, thank you.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

spunkshui posted:

The performance I'm looking at is when standing and walking around the main hub in the game that has a lot of player characters. I agree though and would take my post with a grain of salt, it doesn't make sense to me either. The gains are significant, but I probably need a better method for measuring the performance, need to list all of the components for the two conditions I'm comparing, make sure the settings are the same, see if some settings benefit more than others, etc. I'll say that I'm happy with the 5800x3d though

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Hey, all. I've got an older Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 liquid cooler for my current LGA 1150 Intel CPU, but I'd like to use it with the LGA 1700 I just got. What additional hardware would I need to mount it? I've looked up retro mounts on Corsair's website, but they've got no info for coolers this old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Hey, all. I've got an older Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 liquid cooler for my current LGA 1150 Intel CPU, but I'd like to use it with the LGA 1700 I just got. What additional hardware would I need to mount it? I've looked up retro mounts on Corsair's website, but they've got no info for coolers this old.

Many cooler manufacturers offer free upgrade kits to owners of older coolers. You may be able to email Corsair customer support and see if they have a solution for you.