Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish I still had cable (not really) just so I could do an actual comparison, but it does make me laugh that an old HDHomeRun tuner connected to my network and a $20 antenna then streamed remotely to Plex in a web browser window genuinely seems to look better quality than the product I was paying like $100/mo for.

Gonna keep watching the ATSC 3.0 rollout down here (Miami metro) and maybe jump on a new tuner when there's some more content out there. Looks like all the main broadcasters in West Palm are running signal, but I can't get them without a proper antenna update and woof those prices are higher than I remember seeing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had to stop watching some shows on cable because the compression, and later soap opera effect were so bad they were actively pissing me off. I remember Top Gear being so compressed turning wheels would stutter constantly which is pretty bad in a show about cars. The last season of Killing Eve had soap opera effect plus dynamic compression on the audio.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only point to having cable now is to have provider logins to use their apps to stream in better quality.

Even that is becoming redundant now that most of the shows on major networks are on their own streaming services now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish I still had cable (not really) just so I could do an actual comparison, but it does make me laugh that an old HDHomeRun tuner connected to my network and a $20 antenna then streamed remotely to Plex in a web browser window genuinely seems to look better quality than the product I was paying like $100/mo for.

Gonna keep watching the ATSC 3.0 rollout down here (Miami metro) and maybe jump on a new tuner when there's some more content out there. Looks like all the main broadcasters in West Palm are running signal, but I can't get them without a proper antenna update and woof those prices are higher than I remember seeing before.

One of my best purchases was the HD HomeRun and the Channels App so if i want to watch live TV I just hit a different app on my apple tv.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

my hdhomerun has definitely paid for itself just in STB rental fees at least 3 times over, what a great purchase and it's built like a tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Antenna signals are uncompressed, so if you are in range the picture will be better than pretty much any cable or streaming app.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No they use MPEG-2 compression (DVD) and as of ATSC 3.0 they can use MPEG-4 (blu ray)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

F.D. Signifier posted:

No they use MPEG-2 compression (DVD) and as of ATSC 3.0 they can use MPEG-4 (blu ray)

Huh, guess that is a common misconception that got me too. It's still definitely less compressed than cable, and football games look better OTA than they do on YouTubeTV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's also not universal. Tons of markets have crammed and bitstarved their OTA broadcasts with subchannels. Local networks can have a direct feed to the local cable distribution that comes before that channel cramming so that all you get is the cramming that the cable company does. So, it can end up being a wash or even better quality than OTA.

It's all quantity over quality which is why delivery over TCP is the way to go now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I feel dumb. I didn't realize Google TV allowed you to use different launchers and skip their ad filled crap. Now I know!

If anyone doesn't know, you can get a Chromecast 4K with remote for 29.00 at Walmart with an Eleven Funko: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chromeca...ggos/1983672566

I set this up today, and launched FLauncher (https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher). I set my buttons with Button Mapper for both SmartTubeNext and Kodi (short/long press on Youtube button) and Netflix/HBO on the Netflix button. Disabled the Google TV launcher using the instructions on the Gitlab page and set the Home button to launch FLauncher and boom. Nice clear, ad-less screen.

Man I wish I had known about this a long time ago. Tomorrow (or after turkey), the Onn gets the same treatment. Pretty sure this will work for nVidia Shields too for those of you who hate the new launcher.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

It does work for Shields, yes, I've done it on mine.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Silly Burrito posted:

I feel dumb. I didn't realize Google TV allowed you to use different launchers and skip their ad filled crap. Now I know!

If anyone doesn't know, you can get a Chromecast 4K with remote for 29.00 at Walmart with an Eleven Funko: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chromeca...ggos/1983672566

I set this up today, and launched FLauncher (https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher). I set my buttons with Button Mapper for both SmartTubeNext and Kodi (short/long press on Youtube button) and Netflix/HBO on the Netflix button. Disabled the Google TV launcher using the instructions on the Gitlab page and set the Home button to launch FLauncher and boom. Nice clear, ad-less screen.

Man I wish I had known about this a long time ago. Tomorrow (or after turkey), the Onn gets the same treatment. Pretty sure this will work for nVidia Shields too for those of you who hate the new launcher.

Any idea if this works or is advisable for a TV with Google/Android TV built in? (Hisense A7G)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SgtScruffy posted:

Any idea if this works or is advisable for a TV with Google/Android TV built in? (Hisense A7G)

Not exactly the same TV, but it looks like you may possibly lose input button functionality if you do.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Hisense/comments/svk03z/if_i_change_the_default_android_launcher_on_the

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If it's GoogleTV then check if your TV has Basic Mode that you can turn on
https://support.google.com/googletv/answer/10408998?hl=en

It just turns off all the smart TV features.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Hisense is a very bad tv

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have two Hisense TVs that are absolutely fine for the price. The key is to use a Roku/AppleTV or whatever and bypass the built in GoogleTV and never let them touch the internet themselves.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Hisense is a very bad tv

No.

Hisense U8H and U6H are both Rtings picks for best low-mid range and budget TVs. They took the crown from TCL in that segment.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nitr0 posted:

Hisense is a very bad tv

I got one recommended by rtings and it's worked so well it's kinda turned me around on smart TVs.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Nitr0 posted:

Hisense is a very bad tv

Wrong. It's basically get an OLED from LG and if there is some reason that isn't feasible then Hisense is the king of budget TVs. There are a lot of really nice features like local dimming available on their affordable models.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We have a Hisense roku tv and it does well. Not as good as our TCLs but it was worth it for a cheap bedroom tv.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Like any product in the Hisense/Roku style lines... there are a lot of 'em. There's definitely a certain cross section of both that are rated the best budget or mid-range lines in there, but there also a lot of models that are just cheap crap "this'll do" kinds.

You can't go get a 32" Hisense TV for $100 on black friday and then judge them based on that model. It's not representative.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

No.

Hisense U8H and U6H are both Rtings picks for best low-mid range and budget TVs. They took the crown from TCL in that segment.

Are the built in Google TVs usable? Or is it just a cast target and I need to buy a GoogleTV 4k too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Are the built in Google TVs usable? Or is it just a cast target and I need to buy a GoogleTV 4k too.

Depends on the specific streaming vendor app, in my experience. Is fine for Netflix, Hulu, Paramount, but was choppy at times for HBOMax and completely unusable for Apple TV+. No complaints as a Chromecast target if that's how you intend to use it.

I paied $25 for a Roku Express 4K+ and that's been a better experience than using the built in Google ecosystem, so I don't use apps on the TV itself anymore.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My dad’s looking to upgrade his Roku for the gym, and buy another one for the family room. If portability isn’t a thing and the gym Roku is a box, is it still worth it to consider the sticks? Or should he just get an Ultra for both?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If he’s happy with the current Rokus I’d just get the ultras for both.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds good to me!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The price of Disney+ goes up $30/year tomorrow. I looked at renewing it and decided to renew The Disney Bundle. Nice that it's still fairly cheap, I just wish there was a way to do a digital gift card for the bundle.

A bit confusing, but when renewing it showed me that my monthly payments going forward would be $21.something per month.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Digital gift card as in a Disney card? If your banks supports privacy.com or virtual cards I use those for online and especially recurring payments as you can set card limits easily.

I renewed my Disney+ for the year and since I share with 2 family members it’s splits the cost pretty nicely.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

lol we're back to cable TV bundles folks. It was fun while it lasted.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s still nowhere even near as bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is cheaper to buy The Disney Trio bundle which contains

Hulu (no ads)
Disney (no ads)
ESPN (with ads)

than it is to buy:
Hulu (no ads)
and Disney (no ads)

either separately or as an addon

What in the world

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, these are things you have to explicitly want to purchase.

Like I never would because I have zero use for ESPN+. So I never have to buy it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, these are things you have to explicitly want to purchase.

Like I never would because I have zero use for ESPN+. So I never have to buy it.

:lol:

Every time I try to use ESPN+ I have to sign up for Sling to watch anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I give zero shits about all things sports, so not paying for anything sportsball related suits me just fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

I give zero shits about all things sports, so not paying for anything sportsball related suits me just fine.

My roommate likes to watch March Madness, and ESPN+ will have links for the games, but nope! You have to prove you have a cable provider, so we get to subscribe to Sling for a couple weeks. Seriously, all you can really do with ESPN+ is watch previously recorded sports, and TV shows about sports, why the gently caress is this even a thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate likes to watch March Madness, and ESPN+ will have links for the games, but nope! You have to prove you have a cable provider, so we get to subscribe to Sling for a couple weeks. Seriously, all you can really do with ESPN+ is watch previously recorded sports, and TV shows about sports, why the gently caress is this even a thing?

It kinda double sucks because ESPN has some really amazing documentaries and they lock those behind ESPN+ which is total bullshit. I don't really watch sports but they do put some great stuff out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sports documentaries are really good, even if you don't give a poo poo about sports. Especially if it's related to NBA superstars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m really happy with ESPN+ [as part of the bundle] except their formula 1 coverage is exclusive to having a tv subscription so you can’t watch that. Absolute shitloads of good soccer though, I watch it a ton more than I thought.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The hockey coverage on ESPN+ seemed pretty good when I tried it, but alas I'm in my local blackout area and ESPN+ often sees through my DNS trickery so it doesn't work often enough for the games I want to watch.

Instead I have to pay double the amount to subscribe to the local provide to follow my team, and god they (Bally, to nobody's surprise) suck so hard. I can't even watch the game from a different zip code even if it's within the catchment area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blackouts need to get shoved the gently caress out asap