Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ryanrs posted:

I've seen conversion errors in my van's Toyota Service Manual, for torque values. Kinda worrisome!

I’d assume I’m this case you switch to felt torque settings. Finger right, snugged up, goodentight, one brap, two braps, three braps, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The factory service manual for my military truck listed the inch pound torque spec for the injector hold down bolts as foot pounds.

Bit of a difference there.

I smelled a rat since a 5/16" ANYTHING shouldn't be tightened to 175ftlb, so I checked and the spec was just the standard torque for grade 5. I therefore used a grade 8 with the same spec and still had one hold down clamp snap in half.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ryanrs posted:

I've seen conversion errors in my van's Toyota Service Manual, for torque values. Kinda worrisome!

i did this once. snapped off the crank sprocket bolt on a dodge 2.2

the N-m value was correct, but it was converted to ft-lb incorrectly. i was thinking "no way is it supposed to be this tight, why hasn't the wrench clicked yet?" right as the bolt broke. turned a 2-day HG job into a 2-week one as i fussed with getting the bolt remains out and then replaced

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The new Team Yellow li-ion batteries are on sale for $59/each on farm and fleet. Not sure if they'll get much cheaper on black friday.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I saw these in a random video and now I kinda want to order a set.
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Tools-TS21-TurboStep-Mechanics/dp/B01JBIMOOG

Matco held the rights until recently and now they are 1/3rd the price through the OEM.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I couldn’t pass up the :10bux: Harbor Freight grinder. They definitely skimped on the machining:

I changed the grease (which looked, felt, and smelled like unscented hand soap :gonk: ) before trying it out and it made some noise on first start-up, which I assume was all the burrs self-clearancing. I’ll probably change the grease out after some light use to get those potential metal shavings out.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Advent Horizon posted:

I couldn’t pass up the :10bux: Harbor Freight grinder. They definitely skimped on the machining:

I changed the grease (which looked, felt, and smelled like unscented hand soap :gonk: ) before trying it out and it made some noise on first start-up, which I assume was all the burrs self-clearancing. I’ll probably change the grease out after some light use to get those potential metal shavings out.

I used one of these for daily occupational cutting work for over a year before losing track of it ( it was stolen lol ). Aside from sounding like absolute loving poo poo it did the job. Would definitely recommend better than average protective gear though. It sounded rough enough that it probably maimed the person who ended up with it after me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Knobby gears for extra traction when off road grinding.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mustache Ride posted:

The new Team Yellow li-ion batteries are on sale for $59/each on farm and fleet. Not sure if they'll get much cheaper on black friday.

not bad for branded battrees. however, every single knockoff unbranded yellow battery I bought from amazon for 1/4 the price work better/longer than the branded ones that came with the tools.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

yeah these are the new li-ion pouch batteries which are supposed to be much better than the old yellow batteries.

I've only bought a couple off-brand yellow batteries, but they've been consistently worse in the texas heat than the branded ones.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Calipers that don't scratch delicate surfaces? Do I just buy a cheapo plastic one off Amazon?

Precision isn't critical at all for this project and I know plastic calipers will flex easily, etc. That shouldn't be a problem. I think I want digital because I haven't used real vernier calipers in forever and I will be under some time pressure.

The equipment is mostly anodized aluminum and carbon fiber. They made me get a six-digit insurance policy just to touch it.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

the spyder posted:

I saw these in a random video and now I kinda want to order a set.
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Tools-TS21-TurboStep-Mechanics/dp/B01JBIMOOG

Matco held the rights until recently and now they are 1/3rd the price through the OEM.

These look super neat and if you buy them please report back on how they are so I can buy them too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ryanrs posted:

Calipers that don't scratch delicate surfaces? Do I just buy a cheapo plastic one off Amazon?

Precision isn't critical at all for this project and I know plastic calipers will flex easily, etc. That shouldn't be a problem. I think I want digital because I haven't used real vernier calipers in forever and I will be under some time pressure.

The equipment is mostly anodized aluminum and carbon fiber. They made me get a six-digit insurance policy just to touch it.

What about getting normal calipers and just using something non scratch of a known thickness in between them and what you’re measuring (although neither of those materials sound like something that you couldnt just use calipers on)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ryanrs posted:

This is a red flaggy post.

If you're working on insurance-policy-required parts you should be using calibrated measuring tools. Without knowing a bunch of other things about these circumstances its hard to give you a direction to find your answer.

Conversion coat/Type I ano is pretty easily scratched. Generally a Type II/Type III ano'd part should not be scratched by calipers in normal handling but there are plenty of exceptions. For example a 7XXX part with a relatively thick anodizing layer that has zinc build up on the interface of the aluminum and the oxide layer can have the anodizing fall off in sheets just from touching it. (Zinc atoms are effectively acting as a wedge causing delamination at the Al->Al2O3 interface.)

For CF, I'm assuming some epoxy CF system here...it'd be pretty hard to spot the scratches left by calipers and even then the consequences of very lightly scratching laid up epoxy are "usually" not on the same scale of some expensive metal part.

Plastic calipers might maybe be a good insurance bet but buying them on Amazon opens up a host of secondary questions about your QC if indeed youre working on parts that require such QC.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 23, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It it is really sloppy, tape on the calipers and re zero?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You've got a six figure insurance policy, it's your insurer's problem now.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My measurements aren't critical. Mostly just verifying if the 3D model I have is dimensionally accurate or not.

The plastic calipers idea was more about showing respect for their equipment rather than 'oh no, a scratch will damage it'. It's an expensive movie camera, so who knows it might be beat to poo poo already. Like it might be covered in gaffers tape and stickers (but probably not).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ryanrs posted:

My measurements aren't critical. Mostly just verifying if the 3D model I have is dimensionally accurate or not.

The plastic calipers idea was more about showing respect for their equipment rather than 'oh no, a scratch will damage it'. It's an expensive movie camera, so who knows it might be beat to poo poo already. Like it might be covered in gaffers tape and stickers (but probably not).

Ohhhhh! Then just measure it with regular calipers. Zero with tape on jaws is a good idea. I was worried you were measuring like bonding and corrosion critical surfaces of an optical mirror.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, tape sounds good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I'd just put kapton tape on the jaws and zero them again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If anyone sees a sweet deal on Gear Wrench/Grey Pneumatic/Astro wobble impact sockets, post it here. I blew up my HF set.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a key word to look for with Bluetooth OBDII dongles? I thought I remembered a specific chipset or something the last time I bought one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
elm327

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Another thing to look at is whatever scan type utilities you are planning to use may only support certain features using a particular dongle.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I learned the hard way I needed a newer chipset than the ELM327 to us with FORSCAN.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh no, I'm good at avoid spam emails, but this one is telling me I will get a free Milwaukee drill!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Oh no, I'm good at avoid spam emails, but this one is telling me I will get a free Milwaukee drill!

I'm waiting on a few dozen Yeti coolers I won from Dicks Sporting Good.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I saw what I would have thought a fantastic deal earlier in the year. M12 ratchet and screwdriver and batteries and bag and charger for $99 tot day at HD. Don’t know if still available.

I got the fuel m12 ratchet and while it didn’t live up to my expectations on power it has paid for itself in convenience in one job.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

the spyder posted:

I learned the hard way I needed a newer chipset than the ELM327 to us with FORSCAN.

FORSCAN with an uncircumcised dongle

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

I'm waiting on a few dozen Yeti coolers I won from Dicks Sporting Good.

I don't know how those got through GMail's normally-great spam filtering. I got like 20 of them over the span of a week.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes past few months my gmail has been getting them, not that it matters but I was gmail beta and have my full name and it hasn’t been like this for 20 years

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm out of zip ties!

I've had some bad luck with janky cheap ones, is there a good name brand for zip ties? Any place to find a good assortment of 3" to 12" in length?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've never had bad luck with the assortment home Depot sells in the electrical aisle, nor their 1k bulk pack of the larger ones, I want to say 11ish inch.

Btw, for car use the black ones are better than natural nylon - they're UV stabilized and I think slightly higher service temp. I keep a small pack of black ones on hand for final assembly and only use natural for test fitting and assembly/harness wrapping prep stages.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've never had issues with ones from harbor freight.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
AMP TE and Hellermann Tyton Aptiv are brands that OEs use

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never had issues with ones from harbor freight.
I have. The batch i got were brittle and lovely.

The assortment in the cannister from the electrical aisle in Home Depot are great.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah gently caress the harbor freight zip ties. I gave them a couple chances and they always ended up being so brittle I couldn't even tighten them far enough to secure things before they just cracked like dry pasta. I have also basically given up on them completely unless it's something very specific that I need right now that nobody else has, since I don't want to wait in line for 30 minutes while boomers clog up the 1.5 cash registers looking for free flashlights and poo poo.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I'm out of zip ties!

I've had some bad luck with janky cheap ones, is there a good name brand for zip ties? Any place to find a good assortment of 3" to 12" in length?

Home Depot - grab the large bag of GB 1000/500CT 8" and never look back. These have yet to fail me over the course of ~20 years.
Oddly I can only find the 14" on their site.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-14-in-UV-Black-Cable-Tie-50-lbs-Tensile-Strength-500-Pack-46-514UVB/316285401

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

I've never had bad luck with the assortment home Depot sells in the electrical aisle, nor their 1k bulk pack of the larger ones, I want to say 11ish inch.

Btw, for car use the black ones are better than natural nylon - they're UV stabilized and I think slightly higher service temp. I keep a small pack of black ones on hand for final assembly and only use natural for test fitting and assembly/harness wrapping prep stages.

Jeep owner spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I use Lowes/HD zip ties as I have had the same experience where the HF ones just snap. As for only ever having one checkout open and it always being a line of boomers complaining about how there are no coupons anymore… kill me.